• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I know with Live Stream BETA, I can put down the game that I'm streaming and it gets put categorized into that game's profile. However, I have several older broadcasts I've done through Live Event, so I couldn't categorize the game I was streaming. Is there a way for me to edit my past broadcast so I can file my videos into the appropriate game's profile ?

The Cowboy

Really liking the phone app (using Android version), the layout is quite nice (very simple) and the stream quality is very good. But to mirror a lot of posts, i don't like the desktop/web UI at all - its pretty horrible looking.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I feel that the website and setup isn't suitible for low spec windows devices, it kills my tablet and keeps causing my firefox on my pc (which is below average now) to choke, something twitch and hitbox never do.

All the performance gains I get from watching HTML5 video over flash are lost with the bloat of the website and chat.

Is it the web site or because the 60fps? One of the computers I use sometimes can't handle 1080p60 so I have to watch in 720p60. I think I'd just prefer 1080p30 (or whatever twitch uses) with quality similar to source on twitch but it might be irrelevant if most devices can hardware accelerate the h264 or whatever they use which I guess my device can't. On my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet I already can't watch some source streams but high is ok if a bit more blurry.

NetMapel

Yikes yeah the Youtube Gaming website runs kind of sluggish on my fairly new Macbook Pro. Using Safari browser and all action I take on the website takes a bit longer to get it to work. You guys are quite right about that part ! Actual stream itself is nice though !

Hylian7

Nice work!

We get our box-art directly from publishers for the most part. I'll check and see if there's any interest, though..

I didn't realize you work for YouTube. I like the streaming so far. One thing that's kind of weird though is the feature of "optimization for low latency" vs "optimization for less buffering", the low latency doesn't seem that low, and it feels like the latter option is always better.

KyleCross

Question for fugimax.

How is YouTube handling M-rated games with sex and nudity, such as say God of War? I've found in my history of uploading videos some people get away with leaving the game uncensored, while others get flagged. Just curious if YouTube has altered their stances on this similar to Twitch. I once spent 2 hours censoring a breast filled 30-sceond scene from God of War: Ascension because I didn't want to just cut it nor get flagged, but needless to say despite that being a huge hassle I can't even do that during a livestream.

Okay so let me ask you this since you seem fairly knowledgeable in this area; what's the best solution for high quality streaming and simultaneous recording?

I say OBS. It allows you to do both at the same time. Just keep in mind streaming and recording at once IS resource intensive, gotta be sure your computer can handle it.

Question for fugimax.

How is YouTube handling M-rated games with sex and nudity, such as say God of War? I've found in my history of uploading videos some people get away with leaving the game uncensored, while others get flagged. Just curious if YouTube has altered their stances on this similar to Twitch. I once spent 2 hours censoring a breast filled 30-sceond scene from God of War: Ascension because I didn't want to just cut it nor get flagged, but needless to say despite that being a huge hassle I can't even do that during a livestream.

That's a great question, I don't tend to play games that have that, but I think its important to know where YouTube stands on it.

Also Fugimax, can you explain how ads work on YouTube Gaming, I've run ads in my stream and I've never had a viewer tell me that an ad was played.

So the player keeps telling me that my browser doesn't recognize the video formats available, anyone know how I can fix this? This only seems to be an issue with YT live streams and archived streams, I can watch normal videos on youtube just fine.

jediyoshi

Question for fugimax.

The entirety of Cannibal Holocaust is on YouTube unofficially and sold officially. I imagine all bets for fictional violence/nudity censorship are off.

Maximo

Has it been discussed what exactly are the benefits for using Youtube Gaming and not Twitch? Well besides it being more reliable. Quick play around says its going to suffer the same problem of discoverability as well as no idea on what percentage of $ you get with viewers, most Streamers don't make anything on Twitch itself its the donations and deal brands that keeps them alive.

jediyoshi

I can agree with the scrollbar issues they've made. When making PC UX, you want to remember that they are on a PC. MS made this mistake with Windows 8.

I think it's pretty obvious YTG wants to compete with Twitch by shoring up their existing first place position (saved video content) with the addition of streaming. Streaming became a first-class citizen on YTG, but not the only citizen. I think that's a far smarter and better approach.

Yes, you have an extra click to get to the streams on a game hub. And the thumbnails are certainly too big for my taste as well. But I would hardly call these "sacrifices". I think their approach overall is better than Twitch's.

Their half/half approach of curating live and edited video content I don't see boding well for people interested specifically in streaming, whether it's watching or broadcasting. Only being able to browse popular/trending games means event streams that run more obscure games will have less visibility versus what they'd have on twitch. Unless I'm missing something, 'Popular' doesn't correlate with most current viewers, so both categories are calculated over a span of time rather than now. Marathon events like GDQ or speed run races that constantly switch between games, unless they specifically are curated from YouTube, will get lost because they won't pop up on the list of streamers on the right, or on either of the games lists on the left. Requiring people to actively dig for a streamer's info when they land on their streaming page is much less effective than it being shown all at once, and with the lack of built in monetization options/ability to decorate their details page with graphics to offload that info, I'm curious how much of that will factor into the stream graphic diarrhea people here are already so averse to.

No, all bets are not off. As I said, it isn't consistent.

Do you have specific instances of God of War videos being flagged outside of the usual age gate flagging? I'm not familiar with the various flags and their affects on an account's status.

atbigelow

Their half/half approach of curating live and edited video content I don't see boding well for people interested specifically in streaming, whether it's watching or broadcasting. Only being able to browse popular/trending games means event streams that run more obscure games will have less visibility versus what they'd have on twitch. Unless I'm missing something, 'Popular' doesn't correlate with most current viewers, so both categories are calculated over a span of time rather than now. Marathon events like GDQ or speed run races that constantly switch between games, unless they specifically are curated from YouTube, will get lost because they won't pop up on the list of streamers on the right, or on either of the games lists on the left. Requiring people to actively dig for a streamer's info when they land on their streaming page is much less effective than it being shown all at once, and with the lack of built in monetization options/ability to decorate their details page with graphics to offload that info, I'm curious how much of that will factor into the stream graphic diarrhea people here are already so averse to.

I can definitely see how the site can be off-putting for those who want streams ONLY. I'm not super into streaming, so I really appreciate the attention to both. I wonder if YTG's approach is more about getting the existing YT base to stream, rather than convert the mass of Twitch'ers.

As for things like GDQ and such, I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. I don't see how that will work any differently than how GDQ worked on Twitch just recently: if you went to the GDQ twitch page, it would stream. If you went to their page but on YTG, you would see the stream at the very top and a "live" button there. Slight differences in UI, but the same kind of use case.

If you're talking about how Twitch channels can forward other streams, then that definitely seems to be a lacking feature right now.

Monetization, should be an interesting thing to see develop.

So there's no scroll bar and you can't use the arrow/pgup/pgdown keys to navigate, leaving the (slow) scroll wheel the only way. That's barbaric.

zeioIIDX

So there's no scroll bar and you can't use the arrow/pgup/pgdown keys to navigate, leaving the (slow) scroll wheel the only way. That's barbaric.

I noticed that too. Such an oversight. Was that seriously deliberate? Luckily I have a scroll wheel but damn, not everyone does.

fugimax

I didn't realize you work for YouTube. I like the streaming so far. One thing that's kind of weird though is the feature of "optimization for low latency" vs "optimization for less buffering", the low latency doesn't seem that low, and it feels like the latter option is always better.

It generally shaves off at least 5 seconds. It's for folks looking to interact more with their audience.

fugimax

Question for fugimax.

It's the same content policy as the rest of YouTube. Everything is on a case-by-case basis, but in general, nudity is not OK..

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Has it been discussed what exactly are the benefits for using Youtube Gaming and not Twitch? Well besides it being more reliable. Quick play around says its going to suffer the same problem of discoverability as well as no idea on what percentage of $ you get with viewers, most Streamers don't make anything on Twitch itself its the donations and deal brands that keeps them alive.

Youtube gives you a resolution/quality selector and allows you to run ads. Twitch doesn't give you that unless you're a partner, and you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that from them. The DVR functionality is nice too, and Youtube permits higher upload bitrates than Twitch.

If you're already a Twitch partner and have carved your niche out on that site already, then I don't see much of a point to switch, but there's probably some value in it for the rest of us.

Nanashrew

Banned
I noticed that too. Such an oversight. Was that seriously deliberate? Luckily I have a scroll wheel but damn, not everyone does.

My scroll wheel died during this past SGDQ and I've been forced to use arrow keys. Currently in the market for a new mouse cause there's no way to fix this. It really does suck not having a scroll bar.

It feels like the PC web browser layout was designed for tablets which is a trend I thoroughly dislike.

Sixfortyfive

So are you staff or something?

Can you please do something about 60fps being locked to HD streams only? This is stupid for retro games. It forces us to needlessly up our resolution and balloon the file sizes of our videos just to maintain the proper framerate. It should be available for 480p.

fugimax

So are you staff or something?

Can you please do something about 60fps being locked to HD streams only? This is stupid for retro games. It forces us to needlessly up our resolution and balloon the file sizes of our videos just to maintain the proper framerate. It should be available for 480p.

Great feedback. We'll see what we can do. :)

As for me, I'm a product designer on ytgaming.
(And yes, we're reading all the UI feedback ... agree desktop is a bit ... busy :)

Samus4145

(And yes, we're reading all the UI feedback ... agree desktop is a bit ... busy :)

Do you have any update on game titles not updating? hate to stream Until Dawn much longer when it appears under Madden (yes, game title is changed on dashboard).

Sixfortyfive

Anyway, I heard a bunch of questionable rumors about ContentID coming into play during live streams and interfering with live broadcasts in progress. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread since then, but has this pretty much been proven to be bunk? I've been making it a point to stream Mario games (prime ContentID targets) for the past 2 nights with nothing masking the game audio, and I haven't had any issues. My ad rolls are also reaching the viewers.

The archives get flagged immediately after processing, but that's par for the course for any VOD you upload to the site in the first place. Seems like it's functioning as normal.

Do you have any update on game titles not updating? hate to stream Until Dawn much longer when it appears under Madden (yes, game title is changed on dashboard).

I'm getting this error as well. My gaming.youtube watch page has a game title from a previous stream, when I updated the dashboard before starting my most-recent stream.

Sou Da

I don't think anyone's said it but on the front page the featured streams really need to just have the player embedded instead of just a stream autoplaying in which clicking on it just brings you to the stream page.

This way you can pause at least. Ideally we'd also have a very visible autoplay y/n toggle though.

fugimax

Working on that as well..

For now, if you want to update which game page you show up on, you'll might need to stop streaming, wait for your stream status to change to archiving, change the game, then start streaming again.

fugimax

Anyway, I heard a bunch of questionable rumors about ContentID coming into play during live streams and interfering with live broadcasts in progress. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread since then, but has this pretty much been proven to be bunk? I've been making it a point to stream Mario games (prime ContentID targets) for the past 2 nights with nothing masking the game audio, and I haven't had any issues. My ad rolls are also reaching the viewers.

The archives get flagged immediately after processing, but that's par for the course for any VOD you upload to the site in the first place. Seems like it's functioning as normal.

I was just watching you play Lost Levels! Hah!

And yes, you're description of how things are working is how we intend them to work.

I'm getting this error as well. My gaming.youtube watch page has a game title from a previous stream, when I updated the dashboard before starting my most-recent stream.

Change the dashboard data, then start streaming. That should make sure your stream gets tagged with the right info.

Samus4145

Working on that as well..

For now, if you want to update which game page you show up on, you'll might need to stop streaming, wait for your stream status to change to archiving, change the game, then start streaming again.

Sweet. As long as it has been flagged, I'm happy. I'll pick things up tomorrow and see how things are running.

Sixfortyfive

Change the dashboard data, then start streaming. That should make sure your stream gets tagged with the right info.

Still didn't work. About a day had passed since my last stream, too.

I'll try waiting longer between updating the dashboard and starting the stream next time and see if that fixes anything.

NetMapel

fugimax, I know you guys are probably working triple OT now because of the launch of this platform. Certainly there are probably more important bugs and stuff to work on with you guys. I am just wondering though, the chat from previous stream sessions stay in the chat even though I am starting a new stream. Is that how you guys intended it or is there a plan to wipe it clean and start a new chat every time there's a new stream ? Just kind of odd to start a fresh stream only to see old chat is still there. Probably confusing for viewers stumbling into the chat as well.

fugimax

Still didn't work. About a day had passed since my last stream, too.

I'll try waiting longer between updating the dashboard and starting the stream next time and see if that fixes anything.

Yeah ... sorry about that. I've had a similar issue. Few bugs that need squashed yet, methinks.

Sixfortyfive

fugimax, I know you guys are probably working triple OT now because of the launch of this platform. Certainly there are probably more important bugs and stuff to work on with you guys. I am just wondering though, the chat from previous stream sessions stay in the chat even though I am starting a new stream. Is that how you guys intended it or is there a plan to wipe it clean and start a new chat every time there's a new stream ? Just kind of odd to start a fresh stream only to see old chat is still there. Probably confusing for viewers stumbling into the chat as well.

Honestly I really like this. Makes it easy to catch up later if I can't split attention to the chat while live.

Just give moderators the option of clearing chat at any time IMO.

That's odd I was watching your stream I didn't see any ads. I even made a point to turn off ad blocker and reload the page.

Sixfortyfive

One more question: how do we find and break down the analytics for live streams, specifically ad performance and earnings? I'm assuming that the stats for the VOD only apply to the VOD and don't take into account the views when live?

If a stream archive VOD gets tagged with a ContentID match, does that just eliminate ad revenue for the user from that point onward or is it retroactive for the live stream?

EDIT: fugimax, is there a better place for me to submit feedback than a GAF thread?

That's odd I was watching your stream I didn't see any ads. I even made a point to turn off ad blocker and reload the page.

A few (but not all) people in chat saw a few (but not all) ads. According to the wording on the dashboard, this seems to be normal. There are apparently "complex criteria" for who sees them and when.

Top Bottom