• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The worst thing about Ys Seven is the first 30 minutes, which are like hella talky. I remember getting that game and being like "I made a mistake." But then I stopped talking to people and just killed things after that.

It's kind of a weird hierarchy for me. It's Ys: Oath (PC) > Ys Seven > Ys: Oath (PSP)

Oath just plays so much better with a real controller and pretty pictures. But I really love Seven.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm at the castle, definitely has a Castlevania in 3D vibe here.

Why didn't Konami every try this approach with their 3D attempts?

It's got the same simple frantic but also precision based gameplay, but in 3D.

Digital controls and the pace of the whole thing make it feel similar to the 2D games too.

Seems like they could push stuff like this out without huge budgets like the latest Vania needed.

Could probably even convert classic titles to 3D remakes if they got a decent engine going. SOTN 3D = free money.

Edit: guess it's not fully 3D since everything but the levels and effects is in 2D but that only means they could have awesome art.

Is there plenty of Raval available during the game? I don't want to waste it on my starting or lower end gear if it's a limit supply.

Someone compared this to "Secret Of Mana but on steroids", would this be accurate?

That's how I explain it to people except I replace SoM with Seiken Densetsu 3.
Also tell them that field themes are battle themes and that battle themes are "I'm gonna fuck your shit up" themes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there plenty of Raval available during the game? I don't want to waste it on my starting or lower end gear if it's a limit supply.

Yeah, chests start having stupid high amounts in them, and late game some enemies start dropping it when you kill them.

Eusis

You don't even have to wait until the end game, some in the second dungeon start dropping them, but it's so uncommon that it's really not worth it. Better to do the grinding thing at the end game for ore.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'm really enjoying this game so far. I got the second statue and I'm about to enter the abandoned mine.

Some of the bosses have been really challenging, even in easy mode.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat the first boss in Valenstein (sp?) castle.

This game is sooooooooooooo effing good. How much more do I have? I hope a lot cause the game is boss but I've been the most of the spots on the world map. =(

XSeed people: more. MOAR. NOW.

Bladenic

If the only thing I'd be missing from the PSP version is voice acting and more music options, I think I'll go ahead and get this on Steam pretty soon. Playing with a PS3 controller is gonna be a lot better than the PSP's controls.

MechaX

God damn, Chester is such a dick.

Sparta Kicking me into a fucking Volcano was not cool.

I will have to say, he's actually a pretty cool antagonist.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

This game is sooooooooooooo effing good. How much more do I have? I hope a lot cause the game is boss but I've been the most of the spots on the world map. =(

It's a pretty short game. But if you like this, you'll love Origin.

Valestein, counting the Clock Tower, is a massive, four-boss superdungeon. You're two-thirds or more done, though. After Valestein, only one stop remains...

And yes, if you like Oath, Origin will make you explode.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can't wait to get back to Origin, while the bosses in Oath are good, Origin is still so much more memorable. I think I got halfway up the tower for one of the characters in the Japanese version.

If the only thing I'd be missing from the PSP version is voice acting and more music options, I think I'll go ahead and get this on Steam pretty soon. Playing with a PS3 controller is gonna be a lot better than the PSP's controls.

I think there's also a prologue and art/movie gallery on the psp version. Both versions seem to have their own advantages so you can't really go wrong I guess..

krYlon

After replaying Oath again I am finally coming to the conclusion that Origin is the better game as well. Maybe Im just getting tired of Oath a bit.

I prefer both to 7, no doubt about that.

God, I didn't know the game would be THIS difficult. I am seriously having a harder time with this than I did with Dark Souls, or at least it feels that way. Is it supposed to be this hard, or am I just terrible at it? What doesn't help is that the save points are so few and far between. I am now in the
dark part of the mines
and I can't even make it to the next savepoint. I just keep dying. I don't want to explore at all anymore, since I'll just hit a wall somewhere forcing me to do it all over again.

I really like the game but by having to replay sections so many times (boss fights take me at least twenty times to get through and i have to consult a faq before going insane), it is hard to keep going.

Is there a way to tone the difficulty down, or would I have to do a New Game?

t;dr Oath in Felghana is one sadistically hard game which I wasn't prepared for ):

I think there's also a prologue and art/movie gallery on the psp version. Both versions seem to have their own advantages so you can't really go wrong I guess..

Features added to the PSP version
- New Game+
- Prologue
- Art Gallery
- Voice Acting
- "Double boost" ability
- Selectable OST: Original Oath in Felghana OST, Ys III PC-88 OST, or Ys III X68K OST

Baha

Not sure if it's a bug but Adol's armor only changes when I use the 3rd armor but not when I pick the 2nd one. I could've sworn there was a skin for every armor piece in the game.

WallJump

Banned
The PSP version of this has Nightmare difficulty unlocked from the start. What does it take to unlock it here? Is there an .ini fix that would take care of it on Steam?

Having played Ys 7 and PSP Oath let me tell anyone on the fence looking for a challenge that bosses in Nightmare Mode in this game, with this music, and this tight action, were the best and most intense adrenaline rushes I have ever had in 20+ years of gaming. On a handheld, no less! I'm sure the PC version gives anyone with a sick setup a way to up the ante even more.

The bosses are never cheap in this game. Sometimes you have to grind a little bit beforehand to keep the length of the fight manageable but once you're ready you get better and better every time you die until you finally get slick enough to take one down.

TL;DR play this game, and play it on the hardest difficulty you can handle it. It's totally worth it.

Wonko_C

God, I didn't know the game would be THIS difficult. I am seriously having a harder time with this than I did with Dark Souls, or at least it feels that way. Is it supposed to be this hard, or am I just terrible at it? What doesn't help is that the save points are so few and far between. I am now in the
dark part of the mines
and I can't even make it to the next savepoint. I just keep dying. I don't want to explore at all anymore, since I'll just hit a wall somewhere forcing me to do it all over again.

I really like the game but by having to replay sections so many times (boss fights take me at least twenty times to get through and i have to consult a faq before going insane), it is hard to keep going.

t;dr Oath in Felghana is one sadistically hard game which I wasn't prepared for ):

Start again on Very Easy, I've heard some people say on Easy the bosses can still give you trouble, then climb to the harder difficulties one by one on subsequent playthroughs.

Koroviev

Start again on Very Easy, I've heard some people say on Easy the bosses can still give you trouble, then climb to the harder difficulties one by one on subsequent playthroughs.

Is very easy in this game equivalent to normal in another game? I would like to start out with a "standard" difficulty for my first playthrough.

Alexios

Not sure if it's a bug but Adol's armor only changes when I use the 3rd armor but not when I pick the 2nd one. I could've sworn there was a skin for every armor piece in the game.
His appearance changes when wearing the full set, otherwise it reverts to the first set's look.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
I'm sure the PC version gives anyone with a sick setup a way to up the ante even more.

That's one of the best things about Felghana (and Falcom's other PC titles) - they will run well on pretty much any old machine. I'm playing it on my old laptop which I bought in something like 2004 or 2005 and I get a flawless 60fps and can run it in a pretty high resolution with a lot of the effects on. Even on my ageing machine it looks pretty stunnning!

manzo

dark part of the mines

Grind for money and buy better armors. Once you get double jump at the place where you are now, go to the mountains and grind a few levels. Like Aeana said before EVEN ONE LEVEL MAKES A HUUUGE DIFFERENCE.

Wonko_C

Is very easy in this game equivalent to normal in another game? I would like to start out with a "standard" difficulty for my first playthrough.

In my opinion normal in this game is more akin to normal in 8 and 16 bit-era games. If you're used to the kind of difficulty in games like Megaman or the old-school Castlevanias you should be fine with normal here.

Koroviev

In my opinion normal in this game is more akin to normal in 8 and 16 bit-era games. If you're used to the kind of difficulty in games like Megaman or the old-school Castlevanias you should be fine with normal here.

I think I'll start with easy and grind if things get hairy :)

I really enjoyed the first half of the game, but the second half has been more annoying than fun. It's way too far between save points, and I don't enjoy staying close to one just so that I can grind. That's not good game design.

The grinding becomes progressively worse throughout the game. At first, you don't have to grind at all. But, the more you progress, the more you need to grind.

The last dungeon is complete crap. It takes forever just to get to the enemies that can give you any XP, but they can also kill you really fast. Grinding becomes a real chore in there.

Alexios

You can teleport to save points and save at will at least.

I'm only at the last dungeon's first boss though, it keeps kicking my ass, lol.

Aeana

I really enjoyed the first half of the game, but the second half has been more annoying than fun. It's way too far between save points, and I don't enjoy staying close to one just so that I can grind. That's not good game design.The grinding becomes progressively worse throughout the game. At first, you don't have to grind at all. But, the more you progress, the more you need to grind.The last dungeon is complete crap. It takes forever just to get to the enemies that can give you any XP, but they can also kill you really fast. Grinding becomes a real chore in there.

The enemies right before the final boss are quick to kill and give lots of EXP, if you feel you need to do that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really enjoyed the first half of the game, but the second half has been more annoying than fun. It's way too far between save points, and I don't enjoy staying close to one just so that I can grind. That's not good game design.

The grinding becomes progressively worse throughout the game. At first, you don't have to grind at all. But, the more you progress, the more you need to grind.

The last dungeon is complete crap. It takes forever just to get to the enemies that can give you any XP, but they can also kill you really fast. Grinding becomes a real chore in there.

Weird... I actually feel like the game becomes significantly easier as it progresses. I didn't feel the need to do any grinding once I reached the Eldern mountains. Just did the usual exploration and that was enough.

I'm getting a weird bug in the endgame where the (ending spoilers)
Isle of Genos cinematic that shows it being destroyed
does not play. The intro and Ending play fine, but I am not getting that scene at all. I mean it's not a great bit of animation, but it is a little odd without it.

Anyone else get this bug?

Um fighting this pretty boy Chester and all im doing is like 2 damage a hit out of his 700hp. any idea what level I should be for this fight?

Um fighting this pretty boy Chester and all im doing is like 2 damage a hit out of his 700hp. any idea what level I should be for this fight?

I had the same issue, I think I upgraded my sword and just killed monsters throughout that dungeon. When I came back I wasn't doing amazing damage but a combo still did decent damage.

I've found even 1 level can make a big difference.

Not sure the exact level, but make sure you at least have the long sword and the chain mail armor.
You can also find the small shield in the ruins.
Equipment is just as important as levels if not more so. If you have those and he is still beating you down
there is a room nearby that locks when you enter it. It has a ton of enemies. Boost in there are you can clear them in seconds. You can get 1-4 levels in a few minutes there.

Man, this final boss is destroying me. IDK if I should continue trying to beat it, or level up more (lvl 50, max equipment).

I really hate how hard it is to aim the Fire attacks. I had a lot of problems with the first dungeon's boss for the same reason. After a while of getting used to his first form, I can get to his second and then get destroyed instantly.

I'm getting a weird bug in the endgame where the (ending spoilers)
Isle of Genos cinematic that shows it being destroyed
does not play. The intro and Ending play fine, but I am not getting that scene at all. I mean it's not a great bit of animation, but it is a little odd without it.

Anyone else get this bug?

Have you tried going into the game's files and playing the video directly?

Top Bottom