• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
Is there a way to tell if you're sprinting? I can't clear the jump in the abandoned mine...

Edit: Or maybe I need more gems? I'm starting to dislike this. :/

If you're trying to use magic to clear a long jump, try casting it multiple times, not just once. With 3x magic and the double jump, you should be able to get across anything.

As far as sprinting goes, I think it defaults to always dash being on (once you get the ability); there might be clouds of dust at Adol's feet when he dashes, but I don't recall.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Where is a good place to farm Gold and Raval Ore? And is there a New Game Plus for the PC ver?

NM, those werewolf looking creatures drop a good amount. Still dont know about the second part of my question tho.

iavi

Wow, that first boss whipped my ass for what felt like a million times. The escape window on her all-out attack had to be the smallest thing ever. I pulled it off twice, maybe.

Props to the achievement name though. That was a pretty funny surprise.

If you're trying to use magic to clear a long jump, try casting it multiple times, not just once. With 3x magic and the double jump, you should be able to get across anything.

As far as sprinting goes, I think it defaults to always dash being on (once you get the ability); there might be clouds of dust at Adol's feet when he dashes, but I don't recall.

Ahhhhhh. I didn't realize you could keep hitting and have it cast like that. *Feels stupid*

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Where is a good place to farm Gold and Raval Ore? And is there a New Game Plus for the PC ver?

NM, those werewolf looking creatures drop a good amount. Still dont know about the second part of my question tho.

No NG+ on the PC version. Probably the only feature from the PSP version I sort of miss.

Copy/pasted from other thread:

I'm actually kind of disappointed in how easy this game is on Normal, particularly the bosses. The only one I had trouble with so far was the second fire boss (the moth dragon thing), but I am almost done the game and I've only died 3 times total against all bosses on Normal.

Can't wait to get my ass handed to me on higher playthroughs though. <3

Also, I accidentally got the achievement for starting on Very Easy mode, fuck ball sacks dammit. Oh well, I needed it anyways as bad as that achievement is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I think you have to turn "Always Dash Once Able" on in the menu, otherwise you have to double tap a direction or something.

Aeana

It's interesting to see the massive variance of impressions about difficulty in the game. Some people are saying it's way too hard on normal, some are saying it's too easy.

Orin GA

The only 2 bosses I really had trouble with on normal was Death Falcon and Zirduros. I think Garland was the easiest boss for me. I think I beat those 2 with luck. Most bosses have loose patterns. These two are just a cluster fuck of shit on the screen at once.

FF52ED7406FA54E3459B25615A554289E6730B81

C302DE4E345D816CDEF12FD8A46D45C9F55E1D32

Fuck those two. Seriously

wiggleb0t

Banned
It's so great to Falcom moving in this direction.
I hope sales are good enough that they continue to do this with future Falcom games.

Would be a start to something fantastic to see more of PC JPN games being translated and put on steam.

iavi

Is there no possible way to map the start menu to the start button on my controller? In the config it says hard-mapped, or something to that effect.

It's interesting to see the massive variance of impressions about difficulty in the game. Some people are saying it's way too hard on normal, some are saying it's too easy.

It's not too surprising though due to how much it changes by level. Changing a level or two makes it go form unbearable at times to not bad.

VandalD

The only 2 bosses I really had trouble with on normal was Death Falcon and Zirduros.

Fuck those two. Seriously
Interesting. I thought those two, and the other one in the same area that you didn't mention, were the easiest bosses in the game. I found they were much more forgiving about taking hits, but maybe I was just more prepared in their case. I had much more trouble with the earlier bosses, particularly the fire dragon people have mentioned, and the boss at the end of the mountains. Apparently you can
bowl him over by using earth magic on his legs, which I didn't know.

With this game, for some reason I had a habit of skipping out on things that would've helped quite a bit against the bosses.
With the boss in the mines
I didn't get the ruby from lighting the torch first, so I was stuck pelting her with 2 damage fireballs the entire time.
With the fire dragon
I went the "wrong" way first and didn't get the long sword, which dragged out what I thought was a hard fight.
I already mentioned the boss in the mountains.
Hell, for the area deeper under the mines,
there's an item you can get that lights the place up, and I went all the way through without it, not having any idea.

This was one of the more satisfying games I've played and beat, even on normal. I didn't expect the challenge I got from this, being that I'm new to Ys. I'm glad XSEED was able to bring this out on Steam, and I'm hoping for more beyond Origin, which I'll definitely buy when it's available.

It's definitely not a hard game as long as you keep your equipment upgraded, and don't try to rush straight through. I haven't tried the last boss yet, but I'd say that it's possible to button mash every single boss before it. And that's with 10-15 mins of grinding in each area.

Aeana

It's definitely not a hard game as long as you keep your equipment upgraded, and don't try to rush straight through. I haven't tried the last boss yet, but I'd say that it's possible to button mash every single boss before it. And that's with 10-15 mins of grinding in each area.

I never found it particularly difficult, either. I just think it's really interesting how greatly the impressions have varied on that point.

The final boss is one of my favorites in any game ever, quite honestly. I can understand that boss giving people trouble, especially on nightmare, but it is very enjoyable.

Aeana

This game is cakewalk compare to YS 1 Dark Pact last boss.

No. Seriously. To this date I have no idea how I beat that guy.

Dark Fact!

Is he really that hard? You can screw yourself up and work yourself into a corner, literally, but I think that's really the only way I've ever screwed up that fight.

iavi

I must suck horribly. I'm getting my ass handed to me by reguler-enemy mobs in just the ruins on normal, repeatedly.

Dark Fact!

Is he really that hard?

Don't you remember me bitching about him? Dark Fact is pretty quasi-random in terms of how his fight plays out, and requires pretty high precision to get right -- I probably had to do the battle twenty or thirty times, 75% of which were me getting him down to ~10% health, being stranded in a corner somewhere, and then just sitting and waiting for death.

Aeana

Don't you remember me bitching about him? Dark Fact is pretty quasi-random in terms of how his fight plays out, and requires pretty high precision to get right -- I probably had to do the battle twenty or thirty times, 75% of which were me getting him down to ~10% health, being stranded in a corner somewhere, and then just sitting and waiting for death.

Oh right, I though you were pretty crazy.
I dunno, I've beaten Ys 1 20+ times and never really had too many issues.

Teknoman

The music drove me to be extremely focused, but I only beat him on the third try.

Kinda miss that fairly normal looking man/woman but with different skin and large ridged demon horns type of lead bad guy.

iavi

I don't know why I'm making so many dumb mistakes this game. I had bought a new set of armor and sword from the shop, tempered them, then forgot to equip them...The stat screen at the shop made it looks as if I did with an auto-equip so I never thought to think about it until I found a new shield in the ruins.

With the 3 levels I gained grinding cause I was getting my ass whooped because of my lack of armor, my new equipment, and skillz, I am bodying EVERYTHING. The hours of frustration are over. I want to laugh, but that shit wasn't funny.

iavi

This game is so good. I got stumped again for a spell at Guilen, the fire serpent/miniboss in the lava pit, but got over him, then DEMOLISHED the actual end-boss for the area. He barely even touched me.

I'm enjoying this one much more than I enjoyed Ys7, and I enjoyed that quite a bit. From the mechanics to the story--as barebones as it is, it all seems to resonate a bit better. The story in Felghana, so far, is nowhere near as grand as 7, but, on the flipside, it's succinct, and feels far more character-driven. Almost like TiTs, but much smaller in scale. Really cool.

Reknoc

This game is so good. I got stumped again for a spell at Guilen, the fire serpent/miniboss in the lava pit, but got over him, then DEMOLISHED the actual end-boss for the area. He barely even touched me.

T-T He ruined me when I was playing the PSP version. Hasn't mattered much yet in the PC version because I can't even beat the first boss lol

Orin GA

Oh wow. I went back to my previous save files, and actually bought weapons/armor (ones in my price range) and it made a huge difference in the fights. Previously I was just hoarding gold and not spending. I was torturing myself in normal mode for nothing.

So I did the evil thing and bought Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for DS.

I know it's supposed to be really bad, but having already played the games on Virtual Console for Wii (don't remember the system they were on) and the PSP, the ability to play the games without the ram mechanic was too tempting.

Aeana

So I did the evil thing and bought Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for DS.

I know it's supposed to be really bad, but having already played the games on Virtual Console for Wii (don't remember the system they were on) and the PSP, the ability to play the games without the ram mechanic was too tempting.

But Legacy of Ys doesn't not have the ram mechanics. You still have to ram, except now you have to hit a button just before you hit the enemies so the dumb attack "animation" plays, or you don't do any damage.

So like, I just crossed an entire pit of lava found a bracelet and now can't return because the trip forward already drained me 90% of my hp. Seems I missed an important item that would make this trip a whole lot easier.

Volcynika

So like, I just crossed an entire pit of lava found a bracelet and now can't return because the trip forward already drained me 90% of my hp. Seems I missed an important item that would make this trip a whole lot easier.

That you did.

If you want a hint:
Go left from where you started the whole area and only fall down once. Then explore!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, finished Oath on PC. Only bosses that gave me any real trouble were Guilen (underleveled, didn't get the most recent weapon), Zirduros (underleveled), and Galbalan. The embarrassing part is that I didn't even think about the revival item until typing out this post. I bought it and didn't even use it :lol

Chester was actually significantly easier than I remembered him being in the PSP version.

why is the thread title saying pc/steam? is it possible to get downloadable somewhere else not requiring steam as well? only steam is mentioned in the op

Eusis

why is the thread title saying pc/steam? is it possible to get downloadable somewhere else not requiring steam as well? only steam is mentioned in the op
I think it was meant to clarify it's the PC version on Steam, though technically you could import the Japanese version instead.

Eusis

Those big guys right before the final boss give the most experience of any standard enemy in the game. So yeah, good luck getting getting much higher.
I wonder just how much they give at that point, AND if lower level enemies still give any EXP? Because I could see those bugs in the Lava Zone being the secret best way to grind at the end game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those are probably better after a while, I think they'll give 1exp but I could be wrong since I've never checked.

Did check on a whim and at level 51 those big monsters gave 56.75 experience each, so roughly 113.5 experience each if you had the multiplier maxed out (might be remembering wrong, but it's close to that).

Edit: Dropped to 28 exp each at 52. At level 53 it would probably be quicker to kill Mozgouz, especially in the far southwest room with that treasure chest in it since it has a ton of them.

Orin GA

It seems the higher lvl you are the less base exp you get from enemies. Im gonna have to kill a crap ton of wolves just to get to 53. Meh, not worth it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wish this game didn't allow you to use the teleporter inside of dungeons. As helpful as it is, it completely breaks the game.

I think it would be fine if they just let you use it at save points (and had a save point at the end of each dungeon to go along with that). But to not allow it at all would be a bit much.

Dammit, now I get to try and figure out which Berm Leaf I missed. I knew this was going to happen since I very nearly walked right by the first one.

There's why you find the game easy.

Top Bottom