• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Have you tried going into the game's files and playing the video directly?

The only video files that you can play directly are the logo and the opening. The ending and the in game ones are packed in the data files for the game. That's why I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It is by no means a huge issue, but it is a little odd. Heck, if you didn't know the movie was there, you might not even realize that you were missing anything.

So people who have beaten the game is the movie playing for you?

again it is the scene which show the island blowing up. It is supposed to play right after the undead outside the town disappear.

Man, this final boss is destroying me. IDK if I should continue trying to beat it, or level up more (lvl 50, max equipment).

I really hate how hard it is to aim the Fire attacks. I had a lot of problems with the first dungeon's boss for the same reason. After a while of getting used to his first form, I can get to his second and then get destroyed instantly.

Leveled up to 53 then beat him. Those extra levels made a world of difference.

Anyways, I ran into a glitch that pissed me off. I was playing the boss rush and died against the 4th boss. When I hit retry the game crashed and upon going back into it again I no longer had access to the time trial stuff.

Eusis

Oh, yeah, I have to admit going into my nVidia control panel and manually adding a resolution (1400x1050) while telling the GPU to handle scaling helped visuals a lot. I remember trying to select the resolution for Aquaria and it didn't work, but maybe the problem was that the GPU didn't handle scaling so it screwed up.

Sentenza

Oh, yeah, I have to admit going into my nVidia control panel and manually adding a resolution (1400x1050) while telling the GPU to handle scaling helped visuals a lot. I remember trying to select the resolution for Aquaria and it didn't work, but maybe the problem was that the GPU didn't handle scaling so it screwed up.
Barely related, but... Are you aware that they patched full widescreen support in Aquaria some time ago? Maybe it could interest you for a second playthrough.

So when you die in this version you go back to your last save? I've only played the PSP version and you started back at the beginning of whatever screen you were on.

zoku88

So when you die in this version you go back to your last save? I've only played the PSP version and you started back at the beginning of whatever screen you were on.

That is correct, except for bosses. It just takes you back to the beginning of the battle for those.

That is correct, except for bosses. It just takes you back to the beginning of the battle for those.

No wonder people are finding it hard then. Think I'll play this sooner than I planned now as I feel like I've only played a really wimpy version.

Eusis

Barely related, but... Are you aware that they patched full widescreen support in Aquaria some time ago? Maybe it could interest you for a second playthrough.
I tried it on the demo, didn't have any issues with the full game when I got it. Probably had it in widescreen and forgot about it since, well, I got to play at full native resolution so who cares?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game on normal yesterday. Started up a playthrough on very easy this morning, just so I could do the whole "beat the game in under 5 hours" thing. Which is clearly going to be very easy. I'm at the second to last area in well under an hour and a half.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not yet. I'm not really sure what's going on with that, they have the basic functionality down, but I guess they're trying to get it right before they just throw it out there.

So far, the best they (and anyone else) has been able to do is just get the world and characters right*, but the UI, portraits, movies, etc are all still stretched.

*As right as possible at least. Haven't tested myself, but apparently some "offstage" characters will appear on the side with widescreen enabled before they're intended to be shown during some cutscenes.

Just finished the game on normal. Bosses 3-5 (and their levels) were harder than they should have been since I didn't discover you could buy weapons or armor until after boss 5. But that made it all the more intense I guess.

Really, the game was exactly what I hoped it would be from the descriptions, and even better. I expected memorable boss battles, but they were more memorable than I expected and the instant restarts on bosses was a perfect game design.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to get the game to recognize my 360's LT and RT?

Somebody on the Steam forums had a link to something that apparently made the 360 controller work as Direct Input instead of XInput, which should fix that. I'd link it, but I'd need to find it first.

Edit:
This topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2607496

Though it specifically mentions force feedback, so maybe it won't work for triggers. That's your best bet though.

derwalde

so now im at the mountain and there should be a bossfight vs Ligaty (i watched it on youtube) but nothing happens in my game there. Furthermore the ice cave seems to be an dead end because i cant find the earth ring!? there is no cutscene with dogi.

help me plz guise :-(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
so now im at the mountain and there should be a bossfight vs Ligaty (i watched it on youtube) but nothing happens in my game there. Furthermore the ice cave seems to be an dead end because i cant find the earth ring!?

help me plz guise :-(

Talk to the mayor and go back. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem and that resolves it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Phew. Finished playing on very easy. It was very easy. Finishing the game under 5 hours wasn't as tough as I thought, as I clocked in at half of that.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Fire Dragon kicking my ass..

Edit: Now the firebird is kicking my ass. LOL

Gonna call it a night.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ysf_win_dx92012-03-23ocxum.png

So I think I'm about to fight the end boss and I gotta know what the heck I'm missing in that slot there? I think I've gone over the world with a fine tooth comb, but I got that one empty spot. Does that come during the end bit or is it something hidden in the world?

iavi

Quick question: How does this game play on the mouse/kb vs gamepad? I'm about to grab the game, my wired 360 pad is no more, and motioninjoy has always been a pain in the ass on my machine, for some reason.

Lulubop

This game is pretty amazing, absolutely love the boss fights, difficulty and pacing. I will be getting Origins as soon as it's out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Quick question: How does this game play on the mouse/kb vs gamepad? I'm about to grab the game, my wired 360 pad is no more, and motioninjoy has always been a pain in the ass on my machine, for some reason.

You could play with a Keyboard no problem, but I do think a Controller is best.

iavi

What an opening this game has. That theme video, that theme, I haven't felt a raw 'shit will get real' like that in a little while. Really cool.

creid

Any downside to remapping the magic button from X (left) to Y (top) on my 360 controller? Had to hold my controller like an arcade stick during the first boss so I could release my charge while jumping.

Also, is there any way to block, or is the shield just there to boost your stats?

Durante

This game is really hard, but if you fail it always feels like you have only yourself to blame. The controls are very responsive and all the moves of enemies/bosses are signaled well.

Any downside to remapping the magic button from X (left) to Y (top) on my 360 controller?
No, I don't think so. I remapped magic to the right shoulder button.

Any downside to remapping the magic button from X (left) to Y (top) on my 360 controller? Had to hold my controller like an arcade stick during the first boss so I could release my charge while jumping.

Also, is there any way to block, or is the shield just there to boost your stats?

You can choose to charge magic by holding down the attack button. It's in the options.

Eusis

Shouldn't be, I personally stuck with what I believe was the Japanese PSP control configuration (attack on B on Xbox/O on Playstation, jump on A/X, and magic on X/Square) since, despite seeming sort of backwards in the way the GC Mega Man collection was, it actually works pretty well for this game because it's the magic button you'll want access to in the way you would shoot for Mega Man, whereas attack can just be tapped as necessary AND is fairly easy to reach from the Jump button that way. You'll have to use B/O for confirm and A/X for cancel like a Japanese title too though, so admittedly that might work a bit better if you could somehow use a Classic Controller Pro since, well, that's how you'd use it for most games on the Wii anyway.

I am really loving this game.

But one thing I really do not love about the series in general is the lack of depth in the worlds and characters and such. While I always love playing these games, I don't think I've ever felt like I was actually engrossed in one of these worlds before. I didn't play Ys Seven for very long (I didn't really enjoy it), so maybe that's different, but I've played and beaten most of the series and they pretty much all have this problem. Not sure why, but whatever!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I am really loving this game.

But one thing I really do not love about the series in general is the lack of depth in the worlds and characters and such. While I always love playing these games, I don't think I've ever felt like I was actually engrossed in one of these worlds before. I didn't play Ys Seven for very long (I didn't really enjoy it), so maybe that's different, but I've played and beaten most of the series and they pretty much all have this problem. Not sure why, but whatever!

I feel the opposite after connecting the dots between Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napishtim. Subsequently leading me to fall face first into a ton of Ys series lore that starts connecting everything together.

Eusis

I feel the opposite after connecting the dots between Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napishtim. Subsequently leading me to fall face first into a ton of Ys series lore that starts connecting everything together.
Yeah, they've been trying to establish more of an overall connected continuity with recent games, I suspect Celceta's going to be tied better into this and Ark too. However, for the most part it's like I THINK a pulpy fantasy adventure, Adol goes on a new adventure each time and they're only loosely connected to one another at best. I/II aside of course, but that's just two parts of the same adventure really.

I really enjoy the lore between all of the games.

But the worlds themselves I never feel engrossed in at all. They never feel alive, and they are super duper empty all the time.

That said, these games are still amazingly fun, and always bring me back to the childhood years of playing Crystalis. <3

Falcom should buy Crystalis revive that series. RIP Crystalis. ;_;

Zapages

I playing the game right now with my PS3 controller. :) So awesome!!! :) I hope they release Origins soon...

Also I hope they release

Ys VI
Ys I and II
Ys VII

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I playing the game right now with my PS3 controller. :) So awesome!!! :) I hope they release Origins soon...

Also I hope they release

Ys VI
Ys I and II
Ys VII

Seven doesn't have a PC version, so that's probably out of the question (the Chinese port doesn't really count). Unless Origin and Oath somehow bomb (which is pretty unlikely) we'll probably see both VI and some variant of I&II. Probably Complete.

Is there a way to tell if you're sprinting? I can't clear the jump in the abandoned mine...

Edit: Or maybe I need more gems? I'm starting to dislike this. :/

Eusis

Falcom should buy Crystalis revive that series. RIP Crystalis. ;_;
It's really lame how SNK's not bothering to get that on the VC, on that note. One of the few NES games that could (should?) plausibly go up that I'd rush to buy still, yet they'd rather just focus on their Neo Geo stuff. Which is still good, but mostly not what I want and nothing there is similar to Crystalis anyway.

Top Bottom