• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Wiseblade

Yeah, because there's no resource system, no card rotation and the game is balanced around archetypes, there's LOTS of cards in packs that the average person has ZERO interest in. Either because they're terrible, not interesting to that player and incompatible with anything they are interested in.

For the average player, that leaves no reason to buy single packs unless you're interested in multiple archetypes featured in that pack.

Jaeger

I'm not spending $60 plus shipping on 3 individual cards.

Apparently the Mega Tins are also out early, at least at Walmart

To be honest, I've spent that much on just one card. Even now I am planning on spending more than that one three. But i'm a casual occasional collector and not a player. I can understand wanting to gamble with boosters, possibly spending far less and getting the good cards than shelling out dozens on singles.

When I was younger that was the lyfe. But now as an adult I graciously welcome the ability to buy exactly what I am looking for.

KingBroly

Banned
To be honest, I've spent that much on just one card. Even now I am planning on spending more than that one three. But i'm a casual occasional collector and not a player. I can understand wanting to gamble with boosters, possibly spending far less and getting the good cards than shelling out dozens on singles.

When I was younger that was the lyfe. But now as an adult I graciously welcome the ability to buy exactly what I am looking for.

Yeah, but on the flipside, I've spent WAY too much on individual cards before. Like...idiotic amounts that I'm ashamed of.

Jaeger

Yeah, but on the flipside, I've spent WAY too much on individual cards before. Like...idiotic amounts that I'm ashamed of.

Oh man. I can relate to that. I think I've spent more on the few singles I got in a few months other what I spent on boosters for years as a kid.

Wiseblade

I dropped around £300 to make my Prophecy deck when Return of the Duelist/Abyss Rising dropped, and that was mostly just the archetype stuff. I could have ended up adding another £50 if I was starting from scratch. Luckily I was able to win enough local events to fund the Cosmo Blazer support, but I was already kicking myself for spending that much on a couple dozen cards. I'd already committed to that that being the only deck I'd play for the forseeable future and had no interest in buying the obvious ban fodder Spellbook of Judgment. I can't even imagine how people are able to pay similar amounts for only a handful of cards and that are in the crosshairs for restriction.

EMT0

Banned
What's some of your "...gotta get them list" look like? New and old. Cards you always wanted but did not get (yet).

I've got three lists. Want to get, already got, and the nostalgia list. Want to get are things that are cool but are stupidly expensive. Things like Solemn Strikes, a playset of Gem-Knight Garnets, a playset of Mermail cards, Black Stone of Legends, a full suite of the Galaxy Eyes XYZ cards, etc. Already got are things that have come off both of the other lists and to my wallet's regret, it's stupidly large. Recent examples include me buying up an entire playset of the Gem-Knight(except Garnet) and Infernoid archetypes, a playset of Toon Kingdoms, and a playset of the entire Blue-Eyes archetype. Nostalgia is made up of retro things I really want for collection purposes; examples of this being all five pieces of Exodia from LOB(got three already), one of each of the cover cards from beginning to end, etc. The ultimate nostalgia goal is to own one of every single card from LOB up until Lost Millennium.

On an unrelated note, I had some free time recently and made up a complete set of support for a 'complete' Gaia the Fierce Knight/Black Luster Soldier archetype.

The goal in its design was to make a deck that can play through disruption without being too ridiculous; it can't disrupt your opponent at all, has a decent resource recovery game for a Ritual deck, and doesn't immediately die if all of its plays are countered like say, Lunalights. Can OTK with the perfect hand, but prefers to grind and gather hand advantage. It's essentially a combo deck that expects disruption and plays through it, not around it. It's only effects that really affect the opponent is having a boss monster that makes the lower tier of monsters(the Gaia monsters) untargetable plus some grave negation.

I also wrote up a story to try and tie all the cards together as part of the link. So I guess without further ado, here's half of an afternoon's work, If Gaia the Fierce Knight was a proper archetype.

Mega-Tins_2016_lrg.png

Mega Tin 2016 releases today! Contains reprints from Crossed Souls to Breakers of Shadows. This is good for the Dimensions of Chaos cards because TCG NA never got a Special/Advanced edition. You can find the full spoiler here. Red-Eyes support from Clash of Rebellion is not included but it is more than likely been moved to the Joey deck of Legendary Decks II.

Promos are:

Yugi - Dark Magician, Ebon High Magician, Slifer the Sky Dragon, D/D/D Flame King Genghis, Dragonix the Empowered Warrior, Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer

Kaiba - Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon, Obelisk the Tormentor, D/D/D Gust King Alexander, Aether the Evil Empowering Dragon, Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit

KingBroly

Banned
Oh man. I can relate to that. I think I've spent more on the few singles I got in a few months other what I spent on boosters for years as a kid.

I dropped $500 on a single card once. One card. Not Yugioh, though.

I did it twice

Um...anyway...

I need a DPCI number for the Mega Tins, ASAP

EDIT: I got the Mega Tins at my local Target. Cool. I still hate Tins. Terrible storage containers.

1upsuper

The last pieces of my (Dark) Magician Girl deck came today so I had some fun re-learning the YGO rules and goldfishing with it. YGO must have really changed a lot speed-wise since I last got really into it, since this is supposed to be just an OK deck but it seems to play so well and fast. It's the Timaeus build, btw. It's cool to be back.

Edit: are decklists kosher here? I'd love to get some advice on improving my build. I looked at several decklists when picking what to order so I have a few options for stuff to swap in/out.

EMT0

Banned
I've got a lot(let's just say a lot) of mega-tins that I ordered sitting about 7 miles away from me in a UPS warehouse. But the warehouse is closed today and on a holiday until Tuesday

:((((((((((((

Wiseblade

The last pieces of my (Dark) Magician Girl deck came today so I had some fun re-learning the YGO rules and goldfishing with it. YGO must have really changed a lot speed-wise since I last got really into it, since this is supposed to be just an OK deck but it seems to play so well and fast. It's the Timaeus build, btw. It's cool to be back.
Yeah, the game in general has become far faster over time. Depending on when you last played, some decks might terrify you with how quickly and consistently they can make power plays.

Edit: are decklists kosher here? I'd love to get some advice on improving my build. I looked at several decklists when picking what to order so I have a few options for stuff to swap in/out.
Please do!

KingBroly

Banned
I'll never understand why they dropped the main crew from the anime. At least give me a spin-off where Kaiba wins 100% of the time.

I wish they'd do 4 releases a year, 3 new ones and one compilation set of all the cards released that year for the stores that are really low on space for the next year or so.

1upsuper

Yeah, the game in general has become far faster over time. Depending on when you last played, some decks might terrify you with how quickly and consistently they can make power plays.

I stopped playing heavily back in 2005ish and then got back into it for about 5 minutes in 2009ish and then a bit in 2012. I never got back in long enough to really get a feel for a lot of meta-defining decks. It's interesting to shift into such a combo-centric mindset compared to Magic and early YGO. Are turn 0 kills a thing?

And thank you, here's my list, which is modified based on Pojo lists:

Monsters:

2 Jester Confit
2 Dark Magician
1 Mirror Resonator
3 Kiwi Magician Girl
2 Dark Magician Girl
3 Berry Magician Girl
2 Apple Magician Girl
3 Choco Magician Girl
3 Lemon Magician Girl
1 Dark Magician of Chaos

Spells:

2 Terraforming
1 Where Arf Thou?
2 Dark Magic Veil
2 Twin Twisters
2 Magical Dimension
2 The Eye of Timaeus
1 Secret Village of the Spellcasters

Traps:

3 Dark Renewal
3 Magician Navigation

Extra:

1 Dark Paladin
2 Amulet Dragon
1 Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight
2 Ebon Illusion Magician
2 Ebon Void Magician
1 Number 11: Big Eye
1 Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon
1 Number 47: Nightmare Shark
1 Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon

I saw Jester Confits and Mirror Resonators in lists so I decided to try them. Truth be told I have no idea what the heck I'm supposed to do with them. I feel like swapping them out, but I'm probably overlooking something important. The extra deck is something I have very little experience with so outside of the obvious Timaeus stuff the rest is kind of a mishmash of stuff I found recommended. Here's some other stuff I have to consider subbing in:

+1 Dark Magician
+1 Dark Magician Girl
+ other Magician Girls
+2 Dark Magician of Chaos
Magician of Black Illusion
Magician's Rod and Robe

+1 Dark Magic Veil
+1 Magical Dimension
+1 Twin Twisters

Dark Horizon
Magician's Defense
Bottomless Trap Hole
Magician's Circle
Call of the Haunted
Solemn Warning

I think I'll probably just have to figure out what needs bumping up to 2s and 3s but I'm really not sure about the other stuff. I'll play around with different things but do any of you guys have any immediate suggestions for improvements or things to try, whether I have the pieces or not? I'd really appreciate it!

Sandfox

I'll never understand why they dropped the main crew from the anime. At least give me a spin-off where Kaiba wins 100% of the time.

I wish they'd do 4 releases a year, 3 new ones and one compilation set of all the cards released that year for the stores that are really low on space for the next year or so.

All of those characters had their stories wrapped up.

Right now they do four new packs a year, with reprints in every other product they release, and that's probably as good as it's going to get.

Wichu

one compilation set of all the cards released that year

That's pretty much what the Mega Tins are though - a compilation set of one year's worth of main sets + some promos. For example, the 2016 tins are a compilation of Crossed Souls, Clash of Rebellions, Dimension of Chaos, and Breakers of Shadow.

Regiruler

I don't care about the red-eyes stuff. They're too wishy-washy with which archetypes get in, and there's far too many anime cards.

EMT0

Banned
Yep, they took out all the Red-Eyes stuff so they can sell it to you as "Joey" deck later this year

While annoyed by the fact that they did so, it could be worse since it's incredibly likely that they'll be reprinted in the Legendary Deck Joey, and the core pool of holo reprints is almost entirely meta relevant or previously stupid pricey.

The worst case scenario is when it's cards that are already high-value and they skip what should have been a reprint, and to the best of our knowledge have no scheduled reprints anytime soon driving up the price

*cough Galaxy Soldier cough*

EMT0

Banned
Bumping to say that my mass of megatins finally arrived! I'm only a third of the way through opening them but the amount of good stuff I've gotten....

WxkkD.gif

MechaX

I have been out of the loop for the past few months (I only play casuals with my friends) and learned that Domain Monarchs got... kinda hit pretty badly, so I'm back to building up my Blue Eyes deck.

Recently, got the chance to pull 2 Blue Eyes Alternatives, 1 new art Blue Eyes (which I personally think is superior to most of the prior designs), and a Neo Blue Eyes Ultimate in like 4-6 booster packs. Pretty decent given my luck in boosters are normally astronomically shitty in anything. Too bad I got robbed in the SHVI sets and never got any Stone of Ancients despite having 4 Sages.

And as I look through the remaining cards I need (like Maxx C, an extra Veiler, 3 Ancients, 3 Melodies, and a whole lot of extra deck shit), I shudder to think how much money I have sunk into this deck so far. But hey, sunk-cost fallacies and whatnot, my OCD compels me to get a completed Blue Eyes deck!

EMT0

Banned
I have been out of the loop for the past few months (I only play casuals with my friends) and learned that Domain Monarchs got... kinda hit pretty badly, so I'm back to building up my Blue Eyes deck.

Recently, got the chance to pull 2 Blue Eyes Alternatives, 1 new art Blue Eyes (which I personally think is superior to most of the prior designs), and a Neo Blue Eyes Ultimate in like 4-6 booster packs. Pretty decent given my luck in boosters are normally astronomically shitty in anything. Too bad I got robbed in the SHVI sets and never got any Stone of Ancients despite having 4 Sages.

And as I look through the remaining cards I need (like Maxx C, an extra Veiler, 3 Ancients, 3 Melodies, and a whole lot of extra deck shit), I shudder to think how much money I have sunk into this deck so far. But hey, sunk-cost fallacies and whatnot, my OCD compels me to get a completed Blue Eyes deck!

If it helps any....Maxx C is getting a reprint in the OCG's Ancient Gear Structure Deck. That doesn't necessarily mean anything for us, but there's a chance for a reprint then. The release date's prob at least six months away for us tho.

igSw5hd.png

Gensou no Minarai Madoushi/Apprentice Illusion Magician
DARK Level 6 Spellcaster/Effect
2000/1700
(1): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding 1 card.
(2): If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 “Dark Magician” from your Deck to your hand.
(3): During damage calculation (in either player’s turn), when another DARK Spellcaster-Type monster you control battles an opponent’s monster: You can send this card from your hand or field to the Graveyard; that monster you control gains 2000 ATK and DEF during that damage calculation.
https://ygorganization.com/ocg-apprentice-magician-of-illusion/
This seems really good! Special summons itself, searches Dark Magician, and can be used as a pseudo Honest. Use for xyz summoning Beatrice or Norito.

Regiruler

6th structure deck card:

Ancient Gear Fortress
Continuous Spell Card
(1) “Ancient Gear” monsters cannot be targeted by, or destroyed by, an opponent’s card effect during the turn they are Normal or Special Summoned to your side of the field.
(2) Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to the activation of an “Ancient Gear” card effect.
(3) If this card is destroyed in your Spell & Trap Zone: You can Special Summon 1 “Ancient Gear” monster from your hand or Graveyard, but you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except “Ancient Gear” monsters.

The source is ygorg, but I'm going to not post which one because of possible spoilers.

1upsuper

That's actually really good, I can see use even outside of straightforward Dark Magician support. The only thing holding it back is that it's not fully compatible with the recent magical girl archetype.

Yep...Cool card but I really wish it helped me out.

Hello. I've been trying to get back into YGO but I feel lost. I have no idea what the meta is like and all of my cards are very old. Is there a recent starter/structure deck that would be good for someone like me?

Fj0823

Hello. I've been trying to get back into YGO but I feel lost. I have no idea what the meta is like and all of my cards are very old. Is there a recent starter/structure deck that would be good for someone like me?

Yes there is!

Structure Deck: Master of Pendulum should include every relevant mechanic in the game.

The deck itself was amazing and meta, but got nerfed pretty hard. Now it's just good to great.

Yes there is!

Structure Deck: Master of Pendulum should include every relevant mechanic in the game.

The deck itself was amazing and meta, but got nerfed pretty hard. Now it's just good to great.

Thanks. I used to play a bit on duel network right before pendulum cards were introduced, so this deck seems like it'll be a good base.

Top Bottom