• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links |OT| A Speedy Beatdown

Anteo

Ohhhh I didn't even think about the seasons, lol. That makes MUCH more sense then. EIther way, going to put together a real deck and see if I can do better.

What kind of deck do you run?

I guess right now people are scrambling to get their 20/40/100 wins for their free super rare card of the month. So bronze must be a bloodbath with people that have not played all month. Gold was way easier today than what gold and silver were early in the month,

I was running a deck like this all month:

TzaJ38D.png

I modified it a bit to counter whatever i was facing at the time (thats why there is a 4-star ladybug, i was getting swarmed with 4star 1900+ attack monsters) but never managed to get past gold 2 and today I was facing many decks with 2000 attack monsters (1800 + field buff) so I switched to a warriors deck, with some cards from the Legendary Warriors structured deck:

I got to gold 5 but I think ive been lucky, i was running into 25+ card decks with bad starting hands and I was able to abuse the damage output to get some wins, but i believe it has been mostly luck as I havent run into any deck using Enemy Controller to stop my attacks, earlier this month every deck had that in their starting hand.

Do try to get your 20 wins if you can before the day ends, get your free super rare card.

Rank duel can be so frustrating a lot of the time. Especially if you fight a counter deck like BB Dragon Destroyer. It really sucks when they draw the exact card to defend or counter with their next draw. But then again I do the same lol.

A.J.

Banned
I've been running Cyber Angels in Ranked and I've been crushing people on my way through Platinum. My favorite moment so far is someone quitting after I ritual summoned Dakini using Benten and Idaten.

Alexis' dialogue just filled up the duel with:

"Cyber Angel Dakini's effect activates"

"Cyber Angel Benten's effect activates"

"Cyber Angel Idaten's effect activates"

all in a row.

I've been running Cyber Angels in Ranked and I've been crushing people on my way through Platinum. My favorite moment so far is someone quitting after I ritual summoned Dakini using Benten and Idaten.

all in a row.

never been a fan of the archetype but now i am curious...

Anteo

I just got to platinum and holy fuck what are these decks. I cant even survive 2 turns. Last duel was one guy that opened with summoning lvl 8 horus right away on their first turn.

Verelios

Yeah, I'm currently in Bronze rank 2 and have had a chance to promote 10 times. Each time I was absolutely murdered by some insane 2 turn GAME OVER deck banding, and even when I win it's very situational.

In other news, really want Horus lvl 8 now. I pulled about 20 packs and got Horus lvl 4 and 6, so we'll see.

A.J.

Banned
LOL, the season reset before I could hit KoG. But from what I've played so far Cyber Angel seems like a Tier 0 deck. I won like 30 games in a row from Plat 1 to Legend 2.

ReiGun

The new update came just as I was losing interest.

Having fun playing around with Chazz and the Ojamas against the NPC's. I should try to make something for online, but I wanna unlock the other characters first.

I lost to an Ojama deck on my way to 100 wins. At least my RE Inferno deck is complete.

Also having a lot of success with my BLS deck again thanks to the Warrior ability Joey has now.

Permanently A

Why is my download speed so slow? I'm trying to get the game but its taking like .5-1 minute per download item, and there's 260 to download...

all in a row.

I've only fought one so far and it was ridiculous. I was basically just sitting there with my hammer shark deck as they kept summoning new monsters in and protecting them with Machine Angel Ritual. Couldn't really do anything of significance.

I might try and run one, but with only one Sonic Bird and Senju I don't think mine would be as effective.

I just got to platinum and holy fuck what are these decks. I cant even survive 2 turns. Last duel was one guy that opened with summoning lvl 8 horus right away on their first turn.

Yup that's Plat alright, kinda wish they'd let you derank back into gold since I've had some really bad loosing streaks. Although this season I'm doing much better with my Hammer Shark deck (Plat 4 so far). Last season I was running Naturia an Desert Twisters and I was forever stuck in Plat 1 only to sometimes rank up a little and then go on a loosing streak.

All the people who were King of Games last season just got demoted down to Plat 4 yesterday so basically Plat is now KoG in which all the players are playing seriously.

Oh thats why rank is such a clusterfuck lol. Won't be touching it for a day or two. Have to unlock the GX people anyways after finishing level 40 Yugi.

A.J.

Banned
I've only fought one so far and it was ridiculous. I was basically just sitting there with my hammer shark deck as they kept summoning new monsters in and protecting them with Machine Angel Ritual. Couldn't really do anything of significance.

I might try and run one, but with only one Sonic Bird and Senju I don't think mine would be as effective.

You won't be using too many Senju or Sonic birds since Cyber Petit Angel is basically Manju for Cyber Angels.

Anteo

All the people who were King of Games last season just got demoted down to Plat 4 yesterday so basically Plat is now KoG in which all the players are playing seriously.

When I was playing yesterday I had not been demoted yet, so I was playing agains the last few platinum players of the season.

Now today I was demoted from platinun to gold.... what the fuck... so i dont get my free wins from bronze and silver now? I dont even know how im getting my 60 wins this month

Joqu

So I started playing this two days ago because of some GX buzz. Haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in a while so it's been pretty fun, if not somewhat limited. I do wish there was a popular YGO game out that's closer to the real thing. I guess Legacy of the Duelist would have to do...

Anyway, not getting much info from the FAQ in the OP so some questions:

- Characters and their card drops, is there some trick to this stuff? Say I want a Flute of Summoning Kuriboh, which is one of Jaden's victory rewards. What do I do and how long would it take?

- Is there some trick to leveling your duelists? This seems like an awfully slow grind for someone catching up, and I don't even see how I can throw money at the game to speed this stuff up. That's how these games are supposed to work, right?

- In general, I don't think I have a great grasp on the gameplay loop in this. How does it work, do I just defeat standard duelists until they're gone and then move on to some online matches? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the og stuff and GX using separate stages to level.

- This might be down to me being rusty, but I have a Metalmorph that has refused to activate when I expected it to. Are different rules in this affecting it, is it glitchy, or what? I know traps won't activate in the turn they're set in. I probably should have saved a replay though, maybe I missed something on my opponents end.

A.J.

Banned
So I started playing this two days ago because of some GX buzz. Haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in a while so it's been pretty fun, if not somewhat limited. I do wish there was a popular YGO game out that's closer to the real thing. I guess Legacy of the Duelist would have to do...

- Characters and their card drops, is there some trick to this stuff? Say I want a Flute of Summoning Kuriboh, which is one of Jaden's victory rewards. What do I do and how long would it take?

- Is there some trick to leveling your duelists? This seems like an awfully slow grind for someone catching up, and I don't even see how I can throw money at the game to speed this stuff up. That's how these games are supposed to work, right?

- In general, I don't think I have a great grasp on the gameplay loop in this. How does it work, do I just defeat standard duelists until they're gone and then move on to some online matches? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the og stuff and GX using separate stages to level.

- This might be down to me being rusty, but I have a Metalmorph that has refused to activate when I expected it to. Are different rules in this affecting it, is it glitchy, or what? I know traps won't activate in the turn they're set in. I probably should have saved a replay though, maybe I missed something on my opponents end.

When it comes to card drops, you want to build a farming deck that boosts your score as close to 8k as possible to get the maximum amount of drops. Your drops are random, but having more drops help.

Leveling your duelists is pretty straightforward. You duel the roaming duelists for most of your exp and right now their is a 1.5 exp boost going on, You can use 10 duel orbs to rest your duelists to help get exp faster. You can also buy boosted orbs, but I never found them to be worth it. Other than that leveling duelists just takes time.

At the current time the gameplay loop is a mix of grinding standard duelists for exp, grinding legendary duelists for drops, playing pvp, and playing events. There is no event currently at the moment though since GX just dropped.

Not sure about the Metalmorph thing, but I would double check the activation timing.

Joqu

Thanks, that helps a lot! The loop makes a whole lot more sense now. I guess I should look into building a farm deck first then, I definitely haven't been getting scores like that and I wasn't aware your drops were tied to the score.

There isn't much to the activation timing of Metalmorph as far as I can tell, but yeah I'm sure I missed something. :p

Anteo

Havent checked if they changed it recently but by default, you cant link cards to your own cards activation, you have to go to options and change that. Maybe thats what stoped you from activating Metalmorph

Also, re:spending cash, I wish they gave more when you use real money but I realized that I was adding like 50$ to hearthstone whenever a new expansion came and adding the same in duel links would give me a similar value so, I guess thats how things are in e card games?

Holyshit, even the Vagabond is using Cyber Angels with all the people playing that deck in ranked. -_-

I guess the Cyber Girls were too weak to be introduced as Asuka's archetype, but I think the Cyber Angels may be too much, especially since they all search and recover each other and they have their own Manju, plus their Ritual Spell is way too powerful for our current card pool.
I'm glad I don't like or want anything from the Ranked duels this season.

---

I'm thinking about buying the Jaden Structure Deck, mainly because of Blazeman and Fusion Recovery because I want to play Heroes (for fun and maybe if they get more in the future, which I'm sure they will), but to be honest, it is kind of underwhelming, and since I don't want to spend real money in a second copy,
I'm wondering if a single King of the Swamp and 1/2 Fusion Plant Field thing would be enough.

Also, re:spending cash, I wish they gave more when you use real money but I realized that I was adding like 50$ to hearthstone whenever a new expansion came and adding the same in duel links would give me a similar value so, I guess thats how things are in e card games?

I think the best part about spending money in this game is that you have guaranteed cards per box. I don't think I'll spend money in this game in the near future (and if I do, I'd buy a SD), but if I were to, I'd spend money in a Mini Box because of the guaranteed drops.

For example, by buying two Dawn of Destiny box I have two Sacred Phoenix, two Tribute to the Doomed, two Super Rush Headlong and most of the card needed for a Phoenix Deck, or even a Naturia Deck guranteed, and that's without considering that you could get everything that you want from, say, 30 Packs, reset and get everything else (but that's Luck dependent).

That's way, way better than any other gacha game that I know, as in here, you're guaranteed to get what you want after spending set amount, and sometimes, a little less.

Cyber Angels are amazing, lol. Got KoG day one with 31 wins (I regularly get KoG, just usually a week or so into the month).

It's too early to be concerned about it though. This game is dynamic and tier decks always smash into the meta for awhile before people figure them out / a counter is found. I mean, 3SD Toon Barrel did the same exact thing last month. It just happened near the midpoint of the season.

This has been a refreshing update. Can't wait to see what else we get in the near future.

I guess the Cyber Girls were too weak to be introduced as Asuka's archetype, but I think the Cyber Angels may be too much, especially since they all search and recover each other and they have their own Manju, plus their Ritual Spell is way too powerful for our current card pool.
I'm glad I don't like or want anything from the Ranked duels this season.

---

I'm thinking about buying the Jaden Structure Deck, mainly because of Blazeman and Fusion Recovery because I want to play Heroes (for fun and maybe if they get more in the future, which I'm sure they will), but to be honest, it is kind of underwhelming, and since I don't want to spend real money in a second copy,
I'm wondering if a single King of the Swamp and 1/2 Fusion Plant Field thing would be enough.

definitely seem like you gonna have to farm jaden for tempest, thunder giant, and sparkman to even be remotely competitive with hero's.

They neutered Jaden by making sure Sparkman and Thunder Giant were drops. Otherwise Heroes would be one of the top decks imo.

Card drops are really common right now, especially since now they drop from LV10 LD too. You can easily make a farming deck that gets to 8000 against an opponent that only summons 1100- ATK monsters in ATK position.

definitely seem like you gonna have to farm jaden for tempest, thunder giant, and sparkman to even be remotely competitive with hero's.

I already have four Tempest and a single Thunder Giant, and multiple Sparkman.
But I don't think Tempest is good enough to be used. Three materials plus a card on the field to give a monster battle immunity is not worth it in my opinion.

Although, to be completely honest, Heroes are underwhelming right now. But I'm sure we'll get more of the regular Fusions...

Anteo

Cyber angels are insane. My deck barely works tho, idk how to thin the deck to find the rituals/monsters, sometimes i just have no rituals or ritual monsters on my starting hand
I just had a couple of games that I would have lost with any other deck.

Also a Chaz managed to summon the ojama king on turn one and blocked my 3 monster zones, but it turns out you can use soul exchange to sacrifice the king and summon something, i didnt really expected it to work

Cyber angels are insane. My deck barely works tho, idk how to thin the deck to find the rituals/monsters, sometimes i just have no rituals or ritual monsters on my starting hand
I just had a couple of games that I would have lost with any other deck.

Also a Chaz managed to summon the ojama king on turn one and blocked my 3 monster zones, but it turns out you can use soul exchange to sacrifice the king and summon something, i didnt really expected it to work

Well, that's weird, it sounds that that shouldn't be possible. I think Restart is the Skill to go to when using Cyber Angels, and I think using 2 Cyber Petit Angel + 1-2 Senju is required.

But I still think Cyber Angels are too much for the cardpool we have.

---

So, I'm at 60 packs left for the Generation Next box and I'm still missing Horus and Floodgate. I'm eyeing Card Guard and Magical Something too, so I still have a lot of packs to go.
But I hope I don't get Arcana Knight Joker.

1.5 Exp event extension. Now it runs until the 12th.

Also, just in anyone has not noticed, Legendary Duelists drops seem to be increased and Level 10 duelists also now drop SR and UR cards, so if you need a card drop from anyone, now's the time to farm!

1.5 Exp event extension. Now it runs until the 12th.

Also, just in anyone has not noticed, Legendary Duelists drops seem to be increased and Level 10 duelists also now drop SR and UR cards, so if you need a card drop from anyone, now's the time to farm!
Now if only I could tell Tea to stop giving me fairy cards and finally give me a Sage's Stone. I swear I've been farming her off and on since the beginning. I have awful luck.

Just started a couple days ago and I'm enjoying my time with the game, but is it just me, or are there not THAT many cards in the game? I want to make an Elemental Hero deck because I like superheroes, so they're just aesthetically cool to me. Got Jaden Yuki unlocked and got that structure deck thing with some E-Heroes in it, but otherwise, where do I get more? Are they even in the game?

Anteo

Just started a couple days ago and I'm enjoying my time with the game, but is it just me, or are there not THAT many cards in the game? I want to make an Elemental Hero deck because I like superheroes, so they're just aesthetically cool to me. Got Jaden Yuki unlocked and got that structure deck thing with some E-Heroes in it, but otherwise, where do I get more? Are they even in the game?

no, there are not that many cards and elemental heroes are lacking some support for now. and while you can farm jaden to get some extra cards if you need, its hard to do when just starting

Jaden's the main character of GX and there were a lot, and I mean A LOT of Elemental Heroes released through the years. While right now there are only a few, they'll surely release many of them, so it seems like a good idea to begin stocking on Heroes and Fusion related cards.

You can find all of those that are available by farming Jaden (for Sparkman, Wildheart, Bubbleman, Thunder Giant and Tempest), levelling him up (For all others) and from the Structure Deck (Mainly Blazeman). If you plan on keep using them, you can also invest on Generation Next packs for Fusion Recycling Plant and arguably the best generic support Fusion decks have in King of the Swamp.

---

"I'm sure I won't have to buy the whole box for my second Floodgate Trap Hole"

It better be holographic... the only good thing is that I'm not interested in anything else (until the next Mini Box I'm sure).

Anteo

Lmao I just had a oppnent use masivemorph on my monster after I declared a direct attack. And the attack still went through. Ended up getting over 9999 damage bonus on ranked

Lmao I just had a oppnent use masivemorph on my monster after I declared a direct attack. And the attack still went through. Ended up getting over 9999 damage bonus on ranked

I've had people use Enemy Controller and SRH against Silent Magician Lv8 or destroying my lower level plants when I have Mariña. One of the best things about playing online is that people don't really read card effects.

---

I'm bored at work and I have nothing to do, so, incoming wall of text.

I've been testing Elemental Heroes and I can say that... they're seriously lacking right now. Their fusion mechanic is great in theory, but severely hindered by the fact that the Extra Deck can only have five cards. In theory, Elemental Heroes are "kind of versatile" because they can fuse with each other, but in practice, unless we get the Omni-Heroes (which I doubt most of them are really powerful, at least for our card pool), there's a chance of any two given Heroes to not being able to fuse together:

- Sparkman and Clayman in hand: Thunder Giant
- Sparkman and Burstinatrix in hand: Nothing.
- Sparkman and Avian: Nothing

So, for now, both Fusion Substitutes like King of the Swamp (especially him) and Fusion Recovery are a must. I'll try a Turbo version to see how well it fares, but that takes me to the other problem they have...

Their Fusions are underwhelming. So far we have Mariner, Flame Wingman, Thunder Giant, Steam Healer and Tempest, and Inferno if you bought the Structure.

Mariner is nice to finish a duel, but the problem is getting your opponent to that position. Although he is nice with Fusion Weapon, he is weak without it and easily killed, which is awful is we consider it takes three cards to make him.

Flame Wingman is nice, with a nice burning effect and compatible with Fusion Weapon. The only problem I have with him are his materials, which are the two weakest heroes we have.

Thunder Giant is arguably the best of the bunch. His materials are the strongest Heroes we have so far (although we have access to only 1 Clayman) and both his ATK and effect are good. The only problem I see with him is that it won't be useful against monsters stronger than him, so you'll have to boost him to beat those Horus, Nephtys, Silent Magicians, Blue-Eyes, Daedalus, Ninjas, Red-Eyes...

Steam Healer is... bad. Bubbleman is not that good with the card pool we have and Burstinatrix is weak too. His ATK is very low for a three-card investment, tied with some common monsters like Yaksha and weaker than other LV4 monsters like Inpachi and Card Guard, and while healing can add up, healing never helps advance the game state.

Tempest is nice... but it requires four cards to summon. Jaden has the Miracle Fusion skill which lets him Fusion Summon a monster using materials in the field or the Graveyard, which is ideal for this monster, but since it requires you to have 500 LP, it's not a viable strategy but a "comeback" move. And his effect to provide battle immunity is nice, but there are lots of ways of removing monsters from the field other than battle. Other than that, it has good ATK and DEF.

And Inferno is... an effectless monster unless you're playing against water decks.

Don't get me wrong. Elemental Heroes have some nice support and good Fusion monsters for the card pool we have, and they have the potential to be a good Deck, but right now and at their best, are just a fun casual deck.

Anteo

Man. Platinum is a blood bath. Even with the cyber angels im stuck. I either face a other cyber angel deck or one of those summon a lv 8 monster in one turn then use that trap that denies anything if you control a lvl 8 monster. I thought those would be inconsistent but nah, they always open with a free summon and at least a copy of the counter trap.

Man. Platinum is a blood bath. Even with the cyber angels im stuck. I either face a other cyber angel deck or one of those summon a lv 8 monster in one turn then use that trap that denies anything if you control a lvl 8 monster. I thought those would be inconsistent but nah, they always open with a free summon and at least a copy of the counter trap.

I'm gonna guess it was Blue Eyes White Dragon and Champions Vigilance, and I think at the moment there are a couple different cards that can give you a free Blue Eyes summon, 3 copies of each and you can get really consistent.

E Heroes just needs the next pack to come out and get cards such as miracle fusion and other fusion support cards.

Really need Bladedge and other good heroes before Neo Space takes over everything.

gryvan

I've had people use Enemy Controller and SRH against Silent Magician Lv8 or destroying my lower level plants when I have Mariña. One of the best things about playing online is that people don't really read card effects.

---

I'm bored at work and I have nothing to do, so, incoming wall of text.

I've been testing Elemental Heroes and I can say that... they're seriously lacking right now. Their fusion mechanic is great in theory, but severely hindered by the fact that the Extra Deck can only have five cards. In theory, Elemental Heroes are "kind of versatile" because they can fuse with each other, but in practice, unless we get the Omni-Heroes (which I doubt most of them are really powerful, at least for our card pool), there's a chance of any two given Heroes to not being able to fuse together:

- Sparkman and Clayman in hand: Thunder Giant
- Sparkman and Burstinatrix in hand: Nothing.
- Sparkman and Avian: Nothing

So, for now, both Fusion Substitutes like King of the Swamp (especially him) and Fusion Recovery are a must. I'll try a Turbo version to see how well it fares, but that takes me to the other problem they have...

Their Fusions are underwhelming. So far we have Mariner, Flame Wingman, Thunder Giant, Steam Healer and Tempest, and Inferno if you bought the Structure.

Mariner is nice to finish a duel, but the problem is getting your opponent to that position. Although he is nice with Fusion Weapon, he is weak without it and easily killed, which is awful is we consider it takes three cards to make him.

Flame Wingman is nice, with a nice burning effect and compatible with Fusion Weapon. The only problem I have with him are his materials, which are the two weakest heroes we have.

Thunder Giant is arguably the best of the bunch. His materials are the strongest Heroes we have so far (although we have access to only 1 Clayman) and both his ATK and effect are good. The only problem I see with him is that it won't be useful against monsters stronger than him, so you'll have to boost him to beat those Horus, Nephtys, Silent Magicians, Blue-Eyes, Daedalus, Ninjas, Red-Eyes...

Steam Healer is... bad. Bubbleman is not that good with the card pool we have and Burstinatrix is weak too. His ATK is very low for a three-card investment, tied with some common monsters like Yaksha and weaker than other LV4 monsters like Inpachi and Card Guard, and while healing can add up, healing never helps advance the game state.

Tempest is nice... but it requires four cards to summon. Jaden has the Miracle Fusion skill which lets him Fusion Summon a monster using materials in the field or the Graveyard, which is ideal for this monster, but since it requires you to have 500 LP, it's not a viable strategy but a "comeback" move. And his effect to provide battle immunity is nice, but there are lots of ways of removing monsters from the field other than battle. Other than that, it has good ATK and DEF.

And Inferno is... an effectless monster unless you're playing against water decks.

Don't get me wrong. Elemental Heroes have some nice support and good Fusion monsters for the card pool we have, and they have the potential to be a good Deck, but right now and at their best, are just a fun casual deck.

I think e hero and d heros in general need a bit more support before we see them in play more competitively.

Its like the red eyes deck thats been running rampant lately

We're getting Bonz tomorrow and the 1.5 EXP is ending tomorrow too, as well as the Duel-A-Thon and, since the latter is ending at midnight, we're going to have only half the usual time to complete it.

I'm excited to what Zombie support Bonz could introduce, but a lot of things Zombies have may be too powerful for the game...

The only one I'm practically sure we're getting is Zombie Master.

We're getting Bonz tomorrow and the 1.5 EXP is ending tomorrow too, as well as the Duel-A-Thon and, since the latter is ending at midnight, we're going to have only half the usual time to complete it.

I'm excited to what Zombie support Bonz could introduce, but a lot of things Zombies have may be too powerful for the game...

The only one I'm practically sure we're getting is Zombie Master.

I hope we get some good stuff. I like using Zombies in PVP even though I don't get many wins.

No Call of the Haunted? Would be an awesome UR. Managed to finish the last day of Duelathon thanks to clever usage of the multiplier.

Also the 1 card Vagabond sucked so I won that duel that boosted me straight to 4 lol.

Here is to more gems and for me to complete my zombie deck with that 3rd Gozuki.

Top Bottom