• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny talk Shenmue III strategy?!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah so this is how the conversation went:

Cerny: Let's talk Shenmue strategy.
Suzuki: Okay.
Cerny: It's dead.
Suzuki: Yep.
Cerny: Okay, pose for this picture.

Persona86

Banned
4x9nR.gif

Lol his expression is priceless.

P.S I'm listening to the Shenmue soundtrack and it makes goes well with this GIF.

yurinka

Sony announces in E3 that created a new studio headed by Yu Suzuki, that bought the Shenmue IP to create Shenmue III and remake Shenmue 1 & 2 with the same engine as PS4 exclusives. Neogaf explodes and need 3 months to be up again.
amazing xD

I kind of think half the people in these threads are enthusing just to sound down, but man, Shenmue II's 'ending' blew my mind. I couldn't believe how much more game they'd packed after the climax. I loved those two games to death and I was so sour about the death of the DC that I hung in there until the bitter end.

I'm not really on board for PS4, but if they actually did this, I would be there day one with the collector's edition.

Shenmue II was bad

You didn't finish it so be quiet.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I want to believe but I'm getting a little tired of having my hopes for Shenmue 3 repeatedly crushed.

sublimit

Banned
Is this a real post or are you trolling?

No i really haven't played it and i almost know nothing about it.:p I'm a big fan of the Yakuza series though.

There are people who will say Yazuka is the new Shenmue, but the similarities between the two series are skin deep. You play a Japanese guy who walks around an "open world" and sometimes fights people, but that's where the similarities end.

EDIT: v What he said!

It shares many similarities, but it's a much slower, more personal, less over the top experience. I think there's like two fights in the entire first game and ou spend most of the time drinking sodas out of vending machines and driving a forklift for a living. It's great!

Shenmue has more focus on exploring I'd say.

Sounds good,i love exploring kamurocho and the other towns in the Yakuza series and one of my favourite aspects in those games is looking around searching for coin locker keys.I also love experiencing the culture and vibe of those towns.If Shenmue is more focused on exploration then all the better.

Do you get EXP for doing sidequests etc?Also is it true that Shenmue has more QTEs than the Yakuza games?

Persona86

Banned
I kind of think half the people in these threads are enthusing just to sound down, but man, Shenmue II's 'ending' blew my mind. I couldn't believe how much more game they'd packed after the climax. I loved those two games to death and I was so sour about the death of the DC that I hung in there until the bitter end.

I'm not really on board for PS4, but if they actually did this, I would be there day one with the collector's edition.

You didn't finish it so be quiet.

Dammit, watch it with your spoilers!! Not everyone has played the Dreamcast yet!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i hate shenmue. not only did it pretty much suck (aside from at the time being a new type of game), but it killed yu's interest in everything else it seems. shemue III will never come, and if it does it will bomb harder then any bomb before.

Sounds good,i love exploring kamurocho and the other towns in the Yakuza series and one of my favourite aspects in those games is looking around searching for coin locker keys.I also love experiencing the culture and vibe of those towns.If Shenmue is more focused on exploration then all the better.

One major aspect of Shenmue's world is that every NPC is an individual character with a unique design, and every one has a daily path/routine. (And you can talk to all of them and discover their personalities, etc. There were even short backstories written for every one of them.) It goes a long, long way to creating the feeling of an intimate, living open world.

Do you get EXP for doing sidequests etc?Also is it true that Shenmue has more QTEs than the Yakuza games?

There is no EXP in Shenmue. You can unlock new moves and hit points and stuff, but if you get better at combat, it's because you get better as a player.

Shenmue basically created (or, if it didn't do that, popularized) the QTE. They show up in cutscenes with action in them fairly regularly.

Persona86

Banned

I haven't played Shenmue, I REALLY wanted to as a kid but I never got a Dreamcast.

But from what I've seen of Shenmue I'd say the closest Yakuza has come to Shenmue's atmosphere is the beginning of Yakuza 3 at the orphanage, I think Shenmue has a lot of laid back feeling similar to that.
Am I right guys?

Please release Shenmue HD collection!

I was just thinking about Shenmue III last night and what I would do if I had the money to fund it.

They have to see it finished. It's been hanging too long. We can't let Lan Di get away with murder!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 are incredible games that I LOVE, but I know it's never going to happen. It's really sad, because the plotting in the second game in particular was really just getting going. And as has been mentioned above, the denouement in 2 is particularly unique and well developed.

Doesn't the post-climax of Shenmue 2 feel totally surreal to everyone? Like, wow. You just up and go to this totally serene place in the middle of no where and walk around for a while. Come to Ling Shen Hua's totally cool house and her dad never shows up, walk around some cliffs...

It's badass.

but it will never happen again so sorry

Persona86

Banned
I was just thinking about Shenmue III last night and what I would do if I had the money to fund it.

They have to see it finished. It's been hanging too long. We can't let Lan Di get away with murder!

They seriously need to do a kickstarter, I think it would do well, there's probably plenty of rich people who are fans too.

Doesn't the post-climax of Shenmue 2 feel totally surreal to everyone? Like, wow. You just up and go to this totally serene place in the middle of no where and walk around for a while. Come to Ling Shen Hua's totally cool house and her dad never shows up, walk around some cliffs...

It's badass.

Easily one of gaming’s highest points. That section was such a triumph and is still unmatched.

Derrick01

Banned
I would be so upset if Sony wasted a ton of money on something like this and not something that would actually help them like a next gen GTA port or something else that's just as big.

sublimit

Banned
One major aspect of Shenmue's world is that every NPC is an individual character with a unique design, and every one has a daily path/routine. (And you can talk to all of them and discover their personalities, etc. There were even short backstories written for every one of them.) It goes a long, long way to creating the feeling of an intimate, living open world.

There is no EXP in Shenmue. You can unlock new moves and hit points and stuff, but if you get better at combat, it's because you get better as a player.

Shenmue basically created (or, if it didn't do that, popularized) the QTE. They show up in cutscenes with action in them fairly regularly.

I haven't played Shenmue, I REALLY wanted to as a kid but I never got a Dreamcast.

But from what I've seen of Shenmue I'd say the closest Yakuza has come to Shenmue's atmosphere is the beginning of Yakuza 3 at the orphanage, I think Shenmue has a lot of laid back feeling similar to that.
Am I right guys?

Please release Shenmue HD collection!

Ok thanks.Usually i hate games that are too heavy on QTEs but on the other hand i love exploring Asian towns and experiencing different virtual cultures.So maybe i would like a potential Shenmue 3.

Persona86

Banned
Ok thanks.Usually i hate games that are too heavy on QTEs but on the other hand i love exploring Asian towns and experiencing different virtual cultures.So maybe i would like a potential Shenmue 3.

Yeah me too, and if they made a kickstarter it would be the first game I back.

If we don't get a HD remake or Shenmue 3 within 2 years, I might aswell buy a Dreamcast and finally play them.

Coolwhip

Banned
I can never tell if Shenmue fans actually think it's the greatest game ever or that it's just nostalgia. So what is it!

Mario007

I would be so upset if Sony wasted a ton of money on something like this and not something that would actually help them like a next gen GTA port or something else that's just as big.
Next GTA port won't really help PS4 either, PS4 is getting GTA either (be it GTA V or GTA VI depending on how Rockstar plays it). Now a GTA on Vita would help, personal disappointment with GTA post San Andreas aside. Spending money or something like this would certainly go a long way to courting the hardcore who are the people that buy the system at launch.

Karkador

Banned

I know this sounds like crazy Shenmue fan rhetoric, but a Shenmue 3 announcement would probably turn a lot more heads than another GTA at this point.

I want to believe, but I refuse to be excited or allow myself to hope/believe this might actually be a possibility.

Show me a trailer with the game running on PS4 and only then will I believe.

I know this sounds like crazy Shenmue fan rhetoric, but a Shenmue 3 announcement would probably turn a lot more heads than another GTA at this point.

I love Shenmue, but this isn't true. It's a dead series, the only interest it would garner is from a nostalgia perspective which would peter out not soon after. It simply doesn't have the draw or appeal of something like GTA. If it did, it wouldn't have been a dead series for the better part of a decade.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah that sounds like your fan side talking. In reality no one in the general public gives a shit about Shenmue or even knows what it is. There's a reason why it didn't sell millions and millions and save the dreamcast. That's why I said if they were going to fund another that was as expensive as the others then it would be a horrible and stupid move from Sony.

Top Bottom