• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny talk Shenmue III strategy?!

rvy

Banned
Yeah that sounds like your fan side talking. In reality no one in the general public gives a shit about Shenmue or even knows what it is. There's a reason why it didn't sell millions and millions and save the dreamcast. That's why I said if they were going to fund another that was as expensive as the others then it would be a horrible and stupid move from Sony.

Fortunately for us, those reasons (yes, there's more than one actually) have nothing to do with it being Shenmue.

whats Cerny's position at sony again? i don't think he would be the guy in position to talk to anybody about game deals anyway, am i right in that assumption?

Persona86

Banned
I doubt they even talked about video games.

Here's a dream scenario.

Cerny: Hey I'm a huge fan of your games, especially Shenmue.

Suzuki: What game?...ah yes Shenmue, now I remember.

Cerny: Umm.....well I just want to say that I have a lot of connections with Sony, and if you wanted to, we could help make Shenmue 3 happen!

Suzuki: Hmm I don't know, I'm not really a fan of your work on Gear Of War.

Cerny: Ummm...that was Cliffy B, I'm Mark, didn't I tell you?

Suzuki: Oh sorry, you all look the same to me. Well OK then, it's a deal!

Cerny: FUCK YEAH! Now GAF will WORSHIP ME!! Muahahhahahhaaa MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Suzuki: .....What's a gaf?

If sony did this...

I would be so upset if Sony wasted a ton of money on something like this and not something that would actually help them like a next gen GTA port or something else that's just as big.

Ugh, do you have shares on Sony or something? Just enjoy the ride man. Who cares if it would "help Sony", it would help Shenmue fans and that's what matters.

Derrick01

Banned
Fortunately for us, those reasons have nothing to do with it being Shenmue.

It does however have everything to do with "turning more heads". Yeah I guess on sheltered internet boards it would stir things up for a little bit, but in the overall industry it wouldn't disrupt anything.

Shinta

Banned
whats Cerny's position at sony again? i don't think he would be the guy in position to talk to anybody about game deals anyway, am i right in that assumption?

He's done a bit of everything, and I think in particular he's skilled at working with Japanese developers and has done so in the past. He worked with Sega in the past on Sonic the Hedgehog 2, so he probably already knows Suzuki.

"He is a diversely accomplished game designer, producer, programmer and technologist, fluent in Japanese and one of the foremost Western experts on the Japanese game market."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cerny

Here's a dream scenario.

Cerny: Hey I'm a huge fan of your games, especially Shenmue.

Suzuki: What game?...ah yes Shenmue, now I remember.

Cerny: Umm.....well I just want to say that I have a lot of connections with Sony, and if you wanted to, we could help make Shenmue 3 happen!

Suzuki: Hmm I don't know, I'm not really a fan of your work on Gear Of War.

Cerny: Ummm...that was Cliffy B, I'm Mark, didn't I tell you?

Suzuki: Oh sorry, you all look the same to me. Well OK then, it's a deal!

Cerny: FUCK YEAH! Now GAF will WORSHIP ME!! Muahahhahahhaaa MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Suzuki: .....What's a gaf?

Cerny doesn't care about Gaf adoration - he's bigger than that.

Yes please!!! I still have Shenmue at the back of my mind every time I watch an E3 conference live.

I have Shenmue the back of my mind EVERY E3. Never give up the hope.

Shion

I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 are incredible games that I LOVE, but I know it's never going to happen. It's really sad, because the plotting in the second game in particular was really just getting going. And as has been mentioned above, the denouement in 2 is particularly unique and well developed.

Doesn't the post-climax of Shenmue 2 feel totally surreal to everyone? Like, wow. You just up and go to this totally serene place in the middle of no where and walk around for a while. Come to Ling Shen Hua's totally cool house and her dad never shows up, walk around some cliffs...

It's badass.

but it will never happen again so sorry
I actually believe that Shenmue III will eventually happen, one way or another.

Whether it's going to be an expensive, Hollywood-like, blockbuster or a lower-budget production, it's irrelevant to me.

And, yes, the Guilin part of Shenmue II was amazing :p

rvy

Banned
It does however have everything to do with "turning more heads". Yeah I guess on sheltered internet boards it would stir things up for a little bit, but in the overall industry it wouldn't disrupt anything.

It depends, Shenmue had widespread acceptance from DC users back when it was released. Shenmue sold over 1 million copies (1.7, was it?), 10.6 million DCs were sold during it's lifetime. That's a pretty impressive ratio. The sequel didn't fare so well, but there's a bunch of reasons for that too. None of them have to do with the quality of the game or no interest from users either.

When or how people came up with this notion that Shenmue doesn't generate interest or is a niche title is beyond me. Yakuza is far more niche than Shenmue ever was.

Kyoufu

Maybe Cerny told Suzuki to scrap his Kickstarter idea and let Sony fund the game instead!

And maybe Joakim Mogren was CG!

eso76

Maybe Cerny told Suzuki to scrap his Kickstarter idea and let Sony fund the game instead!

And maybe Joakim Mogren was CG!

But wait, what's going on in here ?
I didn't pay attention to any of this thinking it was the usual monthly Shenmue 3 rumor, but is there some truth to this ?
WHAT IS GOING ON.

"FOR REALS" ???

I would be so upset if Sony wasted a ton of money on something like this and not something that would actually help them like a next gen GTA port or something else that's just as big.

I guess I forgot that niche titles were a thing and can be successful. You advocate traditionalism and the downfall of the modern game industry yet are disingenuous to some projects that could possibly stray away from that model. Yes, Sony should invest in an exclusive GTA port; I wonder how much that would run them? Rockstar makes good money on multiplatform GTA. Who's to say Sony hasn't tried?

The Shenmue naysayers are a funny bunch. However I'm not delusional, and will only believe it when I "see it".

Persona86

Banned

Do not underestimate the power of sheltered internet boards, I mean do you remember that KAZ GIF thread?

If he were to do a kickstarter I'm sure NeoGAF and other places could spread the hype and get people backing it, some people will probably back it twice haha.

Please Sony, Cerny do NOT do this. The games are terrible and they will sell like sh!t. If you must moneyhat a project look to your first and second party studios or Rockstar.

I guess I forgot that niche titles were a thing and can be successful. You advocate traditionalism and the downfall of the modern game industry yet are disingenuous to some projects that could possibly stray away from that model. Yes, Sony should invest in an exclusive GTA port; I wonder how much that would run them? Rockstar makes good money on multiplatform GTA. Who's to say Sony hasn't tried?

The Shenmue naysayers are a funny bunch. However I'm not delusional, and will only believe it when I "see it".

Derrick just likes to hate.

He's done a bit of everything, and I think in particular he's skilled at working with Japanese developers and has done so in the past. He worked with Sega in the past on Sonic the Hedgehog 2, so he probably already knows Suzuki.

"He is a diversely accomplished game designer, producer, programmer and technologist, fluent in Japanese and one of the foremost Western experts on the Japanese game market."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cerny

so i think he was there to take the picture because of his past relation with Suzuki at SEGA. making a deal for Shenmue? unlikely.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm all for niche titles as important exclusives. Not for 70, 80, 90+ million dollars though. It would have to be 20 million or less to make sense for Sony to fund something that has extremely little chance of selling enough to justify it.

Please Sony, Cerny do NOT do this. The games are terrible and they will sell like sh!t. If you must moneyhat a project look to your first and second party studios or Rockstar.

171.jpg

Verendus

Banned
You're right, he's not. There are dedicated people at SCE who handle that. This was probably just a friendly encounter since they know each other. However, SCE has been talking with Sega about exclusive games for over a year now. They have 2 games in the works currently for PS4.

So...is this news going to simply come and pass and then we hear absolutely nothing of it? That can't happen! : /

Someone needs to get in touch with Cerny and interview him to see what’s really up with all of this.

You're right, he's not. There are dedicated people at SCE who handle that. This was probably just a friendly encounter since they know each other. However, SCE has been talking with Sega about exclusive games for over a year now. They have 2 games in the works currently for PS4.

The hype train just does not stop does it?

rvy

Banned
So...is this news going to simply come and pass and then we hear absolutely nothing of it? That can't happen! : /

Someone needs to get in touch with Cerny and interview him to see what’s really up with all of this.

So he can tell you that he met Yu to catch up? Boy, someone is in a hurry to get heartbroken.

I'm all for niche titles as important exclusives. Not for 70, 80, 90+ million dollars though. It would have to be 20 million or less to make sense for Sony to fund something that has extremely little chance of selling enough to justify it.

As mentioned it sold a good amount; even 70-90 million is nothing compared to what I imagine a money hat of GTA would cost them. No thanks, Rockstar does just fine for both systems. I could say with as much certainty as you that it would sell enough to justify the investment.

I had no idea...

Dude Deus Ex 1 sold little over a million copies. Just like Shenmue.

gblues

Banned
I tried replaying Shenmue fairly recently. It... has not aged well.

- The English VA is just terrible. Almost Chaos Wars bad.
- The translation is pretty bad, too. Awkward sentences, honorifics everywhere.

The good news is that the core gameplay, presentation, and setting still work really well.

My main point is that a basic "Crank up the output rendering resolution" HD remaster isn't going to address the game's biggest flaws. Re-recording the dialogue with competent voice staff and an overhauled script would go a long way, and that's deep into "remake" territory.

Perkel

Banned
As mentioned it sold a good amount; even 70-90 million is nothing compared to what I imagine a money hat of GTA would cost them. No thanks, Rockstar does just fine for both systems. I could say with as much certainty as you that it would sell enough to justify the investment.

Why people still use 70-80 mln for Shenmue ?

@ GDC 2011 Yu Suzuki and Cerny did talk about that subject and Yu Suzuki said that it was actually 40mln not 70mln. Still a lot of money.

Right now creating Shenmue would be a lot cheaper since there is a lot of technology that would reduce cost. Even in Shenmue 1 they used house interior generators something back then super hightech,

I tried replaying Shenmue fairly recently. It... has not aged well.

- The English VA is just terrible. Almost Chaos Wars bad.
- The translation is pretty bad, too. Awkward sentences, honorifics everywhere.

The good news is that the core gameplay, presentation, and setting still work really well.

My main point is that a basic "Crank up the output rendering resolution" HD remaster isn't going to address the game's biggest flaws. Re-recording the dialogue with competent voice staff and an overhauled script would go a long way, and that's deep into "remake" territory.

Once again...

People change as they age. Games don't. Your expectations change and your memory can betray you, but that's not the game's fault.

The voice acting and translation were laughable shit in the original games. It didn't stop people from loving the games back then or now.

And there's no way we're getting a re-recording of all the dialogue in the game or a re-translation. For fuck's sake, they won't even throw the games up for purchase on a DD service.

Top Bottom