• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

kami_sama

If it makes you feel better, I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy Versus.

oh my god, that must hurt.

I just updated, will give impressions later.

Edit: OMG. Korok forest, while still running sub-30 fps is not on the single digits!
Now it doesn't hurt my eyes when running around!

eshock

I don't have any measurements from before the patch, but load times seem much shorter after this patch--WiiU, hard drive install.

oti

Banned
oh my god, that must hurt.

I just updated, will give impressions later.

Edit: OMG. Korok forest, while still running sub-30 fps is not on the single digits!
Now it doesn't hurt my eyes when running around!

Still not great though.

Zedark

I just tested the docked mode and
it seems Korok Forest is definitely improved. It still isn't a fluid 30 fps, but the stuttering is definitely reduced, to the point where it isn't bothersome for me anymore.

AzaK

Wii U here.

OK, just fired it up and then teleported back to Zora's Domain which has been pretty sad up until now. It definitely feels noticeably better now. Not perfect but certainly much smoother feeling that before the patch.

I then went to K village. It didn't seem as much of an improvement but better. Overall, anything to help the Wii U framerate is welcome in my books!

Vitacat

I had a Lynx ...

I had a Lynx and a Jaguar. Sadly, I sold them both 10 years ago as well as dozens of games for them and I kinda regret it sometimes.

But back on topic, played an hour or two after the update, and this patch is for real. Far fewer frame drops docked. Handheld must be near perfect now, but didn't try yet. Need to sleep...

Glad they are actually acknowledging the problem and attempting to improve the experience.

Hope they don't plan to stop here though. Would be nice if they have it running at a locked 30fps by the time things really start picking up for the platform this fall.

SpokkX

I couldnt stand to play switch zelda because of the weird random drops at the plateu that just happens randomly. I can live with some drops in areas that are obviously taxing.

Glad to say that i cant get a single drop in the beginning at the slope or the nearby forest in docked now. Before it was 20fps a lot of the time in docked

this no longer feels like a beta and worth it to start

That comparison video had a nasty spoiler in it FYI.

I consider video thumbnail a spoiler to me. Every time I see Link holding a weapon or a shield or wearing clothes I haven't seen in the game I get pissed. Knew the video would be showing areas I haven't been to so didn't watch it.

I don't understand how people could be almost offended by the framedrops in this game. I've certainly noticed and experienced them, and on very rare occasions even had a brief freeze, but the game is so great it's like the most minor thing in the universe.

That having been said, I'm glad they've found a way to improve the performance. I certainly prefer the smoother framerate but I still don't understand the "fps sometimes in 20s? unplayable" mindset. Everybody's different I guess.

sirap

I don't understand how people could be almost offended by the framedrops in this game. I've certainly noticed and experienced them, and on very rare occasions even had a brief freeze, but the game is so great it's like the most minor thing in the universe.

That having been said, I'm glad they've found a way to improve the performance. I certainly prefer the smoother framerate but I still don't understand the "fps sometimes in 20s? unplayable" mindset. Everybody's different I guess.

You're right, 20fps is totally acceptable. That cinematic experience /s

Glad the developers at EAD thought otherwise. This patch greatly improves playability for Wii U and docked owners. Towns are much more enjoyable now.

Maybe a bit off topic, but has Nintendo ever released a patch before to address framerate issues? I can't seem to remember any other time.

If that's the case, it's pretty incredible (and more of a testament to how well optimized their games usually are).
As far as I'm aware, no, but then you have to remember 1) Nintendo couldn't patch games at all (shy of shipping new carts/discs) until some point in the 3DS's lifespan and 2) Nintendo really only has ever had one game remotely comparable to BotW, XCX, and it's still really not quite comparable, so BotW is very much uncharted territory for them. Most of their games have had far small environments with far fewer objects/AIs and much similar physics systems, so while the typically excellent performance in their games is impressive nonetheless, it was decidedly easier to achieve.

And to be fair, it's not like Nintendo hasn't had high profile games with performance hitches - Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Sunshine, and Wind Waker (IIRC even WWHD) all famously had notable slowdown and/or dropped frames.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Good news. Playing at 20fps is unacceptable. I would prefer they drop the docked resolution to 720p if it meant a more solid framerate but I guess that's not needed now. I'm glad I held off a bit. I don't mind some drops but when a game locks to 20fps it feels like my eyes are bleeding.

Cool patch, wonder how it improves speedrun times
Eeeeeenteresting...

I'm milkin the game at just over 80 shrines (and only 2 dungeons) and am still blacking myself out of strategy guides and twitch streams. I need to just beat this damn game so I can check out some speed runs. They must be incredible for this game

oti

Banned
Good news. Playing at 20fps is unacceptable. I would prefer they drop the docked resolution to 720p if it meant a more solid framerate but I guess that's not needed now. I'm glad I held off a bit. I don't mind some drops but when a game locks to 20fps it feels like my eyes are bleeding.

In my 85h+ playtime so far that rarely happens. There are certain areas (the most egregious one got better after the patch, still not great) but other than that the vast majority of your time with BoTW will be smooth.

Top Bottom