• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

SpokkX

I'm curious how they improved it. Replaced the double buffer v-sync with a triple buffer?

It almost seems so.. no longer any long stretches of locked 20fps just ordinary fps drops when drawing lots of stuff in certain areas

Overall a MAJOR improvement. Locking to 20fps is, yes, unplayable for me.

I for one I'm glad I only clocked in 35 or so hours in the game and explored probably less than 30% of the map.

Then again if this really did downgrade graphics settings, I might not install it ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

klier

Goddamnit I am so exited to download this patch! I have over 115 hours clocked in this game, but it doesn't matter.

me0wish

Does this fix the Moblin ragdoll framerate problem? Would be a very pleasant change, imo.

Edit: Oh, and I should mention this is on Wii U. Not certain if it is/was a problem on Switch.

If you're talking about the game freezing after killing a moblin, that happens on the switch sometimes and I find it really annoying.

KooopaKid

Banned
They did it. I can confirm improved framerate in handheld mode in Korok forest and beginning area. Great job Nintendo. That's the two areas where it was really noticeable for me.

Switched docked is a big improvement for me.
The only few places it had slowdown are either completely fixed or massively improved.

elhav

So the Wii U version has very subtle improvements compared with the big improvements from what I see in this thread.
Us Wii U owners got screwed over again.

I don't care if the game will look a bit worse, just give us consistent framerate already Nintendo, for fuck sake

D.Lo

So the Wii U version has very subtle improvements compared with the big improvements from what I see in this thread.

I don't care if the game will look a bit worse, just give us consistent framerate already Nintendo, for fuck sake
You can't expect magic. The Switch version essentially had a glitchy framerate, it could clearly handle high-detail areas at 30, but apart from a certain forest, in only had issues in odd situations where the FPS glitched and dropped.

The Wii U genuinely struggles with the game. Entire sections are locked to 20 and sometimes drop below that. They're not going to re-do the entire game's textures and geometry in a patch so the ancient Wii U architecture can better handle it.

gogogow

You aren't screwed over. The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, which is a fact. Nintendo can only do so much with weaker hardware. The Switch version also wasn't optimized at all. We are now seeing more optimized code with these updates.

oGJ29qN.png

Neo_Geo

Banned
Why did they use double buffering in the first place? What advantages does it have? I guess it's less taxing on the hardware/memory?

One advantage I guess is predictable character movement from the users input. Noticed in Korok Forest while docked when you are turning the camera while running around you can feel Link get slower and faster with more back and forth fluctuation. It's still hitting fairly low in the 20's I'd imagine.

Kind of like PS games with unlocked framerate, better for visual aesthetics at it's best performance, but hampers playability at it's worst. Hopefully most areas with enemies don't drop too far down else input will be affected more so than keeping lower but constant framerate/frametimes.

Overall villages and overworld are pretty much constantly 30fps for me now. Can't wait for DF to take a look at this patch.

I went to Hyrule Castle after the patch last night and I had some serious slow downs even froze for a second uploading a capture of my play session hopefully I can show where it froze if anyone wants to know

oni-link

Yup, The Netherlands here. My friend here who has the Switch version does have it though.

Maybe the Wii U eShop updates at different times?

Either that or you need to do something specific to download it, I tried going on the eShop but couldn't find anything, normally patches download right away when you load the game from the Wii U menu

I seem to remember Splatoon needing you to load the game from the Wii U menu and not from the quick start menu to trigger the patch download, but I tried both and nothing happened

I'll try again after work and see what happens

gogogow

welp... I bought a WiiU for Zelda years ago. Thx Nintendo :)

Nintendo released the game for the Wii U, no? The game is technically extremely ambitious, especially so for the Wii U. I have never seen a game with this much foliage. It's way more impressive than XBX. In XBX or most games out there, even on more powerful hardware, the foliage is mostly done in the old fashioned way. One flat alpha blended polygon = a dozen grass blades. In BotW, the grass/foliage are individually rendered. They are also interactive. I haven't even started about the physics, lighting, shadows and how huge the world map is.

moozoom

If you're talking about the game freezing after killing a moblin, that happens on the switch sometimes and I find it really annoying.

Yeah had it happen one time on Switch.

I was pretty surprised when it happened : looked like the game was about to crash with long 1 or 2 second pauses and very low fps, but then everything went back to normal.
It was in a snowy area with many particles and I was battling with two moblins.

Played for 100 + hours and only happened once.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You aren't screwed over. The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, which is a fact. Nintendo can only do so much with weaker hardware. The Switch version also wasn't optimized at all. We are now seeing more optimized code with these updates.

oGJ29qN.png
Doesn't it say a lot about the Switch if it was able to brute force better performance out of code that wasn't optimised for it?

UrbanRats

Probably wouldn't even be able to patch it since my Gamepad doesn't work, unless you can patch games using only the Pro Pad.

Goodlife

Confession time.
Everybody has been "moaning" about framerates in Zelda, I've played about 20/30 hours of it and hadn't really noticed any issues, thought I just hadn't got to the "bad" parts yet.

But then I looked through the comparison videos in this thread and actually saw what people were on about.... Did not know they were framerate issues, just kind of saw and ignored them.

I'm really shocked about the amount of complaints about them now I know what they are, I must be honest..... they are almost nothing, surely it can't bother people that much.

Wii U here.

OK, just fired it up and then teleported back to Zora's Domain which has been pretty sad up until now. It definitely feels noticeably better now. Not perfect but certainly much smoother feeling that before the patch.

I then went to K village. It didn't seem as much of an improvement but better. Overall, anything to help the Wii U framerate is welcome in my books!

Sounds great, thanks for sharing that is WiiU players have good news as well :)

Vitet

How can you only have 200 Koroks after 120 hours?!

Do you even lift
rocks
, bro?

Yes! But I discovered yesterday
you can get seeds by horse too

Anyway, I don't search for seeds actively, I only get the ones I encounter exploring. I play without minimap and never look at a map or guide

Zurick

Banned
Yes! But I discovered yesterday
you can get seeds by horse too

Anyway, I don't search for seeds actively, I only get the ones I encounter exploring. I play without minimap and never look at a map or guide

YOU CAN GET
SEEDS BY HORSE WUT HOW?

elhav

Saying the game is "technically ambitious" is just an excuse in my opinion.

The game was developed for the Wii U in the first place. It's Nintendo's job to make it run normally for the platform they decided to design it for.

If they deigned to take the time to make the game run much better on the Switch, and barely so on the Wii U, how are we Wii U owners not screwed over? It's like a big "fuck you" to everyone who bought and supported their failing console.

Crossing my fingers for another update for the Wii U version.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Confession time.
Everybody has been "moaning" about framerates in Zelda, I've played about 20/30 hours of it and hadn't really noticed any issues, thought I just hadn't got to the "bad" parts yet.

But then I looked through the comparison videos in this thread and actually saw what people were on about.... Did not know they were framerate issues, just kind of saw and ignored them.

I'm really shocked about the amount of complaints about them now I know what they are, I must be honest..... they are almost nothing, surely it can't bother people that much.

Sounds like you're just accustomed to most of the games you play having framerates in the 20-30 range. It bothers me mostly because the majority of my game time is spent with locked 30/60fps and 16.7/33.3ms frametimes. Feels like slow motion is activated during the drops.

beril

oGJ29qN.png

That slide does not say the Switch version has no optimization. He says that during development they were able to quickly get it up running on par or over with the Wii U version, without any custom hardware specific optimization. Not that finished version, which runs at significantly higher resolution and more stable framerate, still isn't optimized at all. It's probably still not a game that utilizes the architecture most efficiently and it's possible that there is still isn't much change from the Wii U version; but using that slide to claim that is misleading.

RAWRferal

Saying the game is "technically ambitious" is just an excuse in my opinion.

The game was developed for the Wii U in the first place. It's Nintendo's job to make it run normally for the platform they decided to design it for.

If they deigned to take the time to make the game run much better on the Switch, and barely so on the Wii U, how are we Wii U owners not screwed over? It's like a big "fuck you" to everyone who bought and supported their failing console.

Crossing my fingers for another update for the Wii U version.

A big "fuck you" would've been scrapping release all together on Wii U. IMO.

Top Bottom