• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

mrkgoo

If I remember correctly, I shot an arrow at a Kakariko Village sign above the road and a Korok appeared. poof

I think there are two of the most actually. I just got one and I swear I had done it before then went to the thee entrance and there was the Korok I had done previously.

There's also a Korok in the shrine of resurrection.

Spotting them is sometimes the challenge it-self, so they are by design hard to notice.
i remember one of these "Clay Shooting" Korok type puzzles in particular.

It was one of the very far variety, almost as i step near the little windmill a storm brakes lose. It took me quite a while to find out were exactly the targets were due to the low visibility due to the rain. The only reason i noticed them was because lighting stroke as they passed by. i had to time the bow shots with the lighting so i had a visual on the target. A nice example of emergent gameplay.

I wonder if you could bring a metal plate or something and use that to break the arc and catch it that way? :)
Well not catch it persay, but you can drop a metal weapon, use magnesis on it and then brake the little acorn type targets. Or any other metal object like boxes.

i know this because i tried that to brake the targets to no waste arrows and because bombs couldn't reach them. Sadly, using magnesis and a pointy weapon to brake the ballon type targets doesn't work. It only does for the small "clay shooting" type Korok puzzles.
I'm guessing you can do this on the balloons too? Never thought of it.
No, stasis doesn't work for the ballon variety. It was the first thing i tried since ballons were moving too fast in the first puzzle of this variety i came across and i was low on arrows.

In Hateno there is a spot where with cooking pots, so I often go there to cook something. There is also an old lady sitting below the tree nearby. So I took the items for cooking in my hands but accidently didn't drop them into the pot but on the ground.
As I ran after the food to pick them up again (it was windy) the old lady talked to me that I must be very hungry to pick up all that food or something along these lines.
i can't replicate this. Can you explain further or take a picture?

Did she spoke to you or was it one of those tyext bubbles that pop on top of an NPC head?

For people asking about when the water octorok float above water, the hyrule compendium has this description

DAmRmwFXsAAPsFc.jpg

Every wonder why Bolson naming guideline doesn't apply to Tarreytown itself?

That's because in New York, Tarrytown is located in the eastern bank of the Hudson river, just like Tarrytown itself is located in a river!

Source: Youtube comments and Google

Also I think an easy way to get a Blood Moon is to go on a rampage in Hyrule castle since Blood Moon won't occur at night while you're in it but will occur the next night if it should. Same applies to shrines and possible divine beasts.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Every wonder why Bolson naming guideline doesn't apply to Tarreytown itself?

That's because in New York, Tarrytown is located in the eastern bank of the Hudson river, just like Tarrytown itself is located in a river!

Source: Youtube comments and Google

Also I think an easy way to get a Blood Moon is to go on a rampage in Hyrule castle since Blood Moon won't occur at night while you're in it but will occur the next night if it should. Same applies to shrines and possible divine beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GPPEGqUpQ&t=321s

Zakalwe

Banned
So the place(s) with two metal blocks inside a hallow tree stump and a third just outside. Tried stacking the third on the two but nothing.

Is this a seed puzzle or something else?

So the place(s) with two metal blocks inside a hallow tree stump and a third just outside. Tried stacking the third on the two but nothing.

Is there perhaps another set of blocks nearby which want you to match their arrangement to the first set, or vice versa?

Avalanche

Not sure if this was posted already, but I just realised that the Hebra shield surfer Selmie has a range of shields in her hut. Once you win one of them in a race, the shield is taken down from the wall. Noticed this happened to both a Kite Shield and a Royal Shield.

21x2

If it's what I think (huge metal blocks in a huge tree hollow, near a bokoblin tree camp) it's not a seed puzzle. However there is another small reward in the area that you need the cubes to get to.

I haven't seen this one mentioned (but it probably was)... If you get wooden weapon wet then try to light it on fire it won't burn until it dries.

I'm in a shrine were I need to light torches with a blue flame to activate stuff, I didn't carry a torch so I used Forest Dweller's Sword (which is made of wood) as a make-do torch to move the flame, but there's a puzzle where lighting a torch activates water fountains that puts out the flame (and got me drinched) so I ran back to the lit torch near by to re-ignite the sword but it produced steam instead! It kept making steam as I held it up to the flame for a few seconds until it dried and then it lit on fire. Tested it with an arrow and same thing happened.

Love the level of detail in this game.

Not

Banned
I know no one cares, but the first time I found a bear in Gerudo Highlands and discovered I could ride it, I took more screenshots than any other point in the game. That's like, one of the highlight of the game.

Wish you could get it down the mountain and register it before it gets all stubborn. Can you register a Stalhorse? I tried once but couldn't make it to a stable before dawn.

Wamb0wneD

I know no one cares, but the first time I found a bear in Gerudo Highlands and discovered I could ride it, I took more screenshots than any other point in the game. That's like, one of the highlight of the game.

Wish you could get it down the mountain and register it before it gets all stubborn. Can you register a Stalhorse? I tried once but couldn't make it to a stable before dawn.

No you can't, sadly. You also can't register the Lord of the Mountain which is the hugest bummer.

TheMoon

Bears are everywhere.

You can only register actual horses. If you think logically about the Stalhorse question, you'll come to the conclusion that you could never register one and keep it because it will die at sunrise.

TheMoon

180+ hours and I've been to every region and I don't remember seeing a bear.

The first critical-path stable, by the Dueling Peaks. Remember that little side quest from those two guys looking for the treasure from that thief? On the way to that little waterfall cave, there's a little wood patch with a Stalnox and some Blupees, I think. Not sure if animals always spawn in the same spots but I had to dodge a bear in there too. That was the first time I rode one.

The first critical-path stable, by the Dueling Peaks. Remember that little side quest from those two guys looking for the treasure from that thief? On the way to that little waterfall cave, there's a little wood patch with a Stalnox and some Blupees, I think. Not sure if animals always spawn in the same spots but I had to dodge a bear in there too. That was the first time I rode one.

I never went after that treasure quest.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there perhaps another set of blocks nearby which want you to match their arrangement to the first set, or vice versa?

Not that I remember, but I'll check. Thanks!

If it's what I think (huge metal blocks in a huge tree hollow, near a bokoblin tree camp) it's not a seed puzzle. However there is another small reward in the area that you need the cubes to get to.

Ah, this sounds more like it... there's a tall podium next to it with a chest on top, but that's way too high for the boxes to help (plus you can just climb it).

I'll have a look around for places to use them. Cheers!

Not

Banned
Why would you kill it!? ;_;
Does it drop stuff?

Couldn't tell ya. I accidentally used an ancient arrow.

Was tempted to reload, but I figured it would respawn eventually.

That glowing blue light in the distance was one of the things in this game that made me feel actual wonder as I explored. "Oh man, what could THAT be?" Had two friends watching me as we slowly climbed up to the Lord's domain and all those blupees were everywhere and we all screamed "WHOOOOOAAAAAA" at once, haha

Not

Banned
Guys guys at least he's immortalized as a picture in my compendium

real reason: I thought he would drop hella rupees like a blue rabbit

Wamb0wneD

FUCK! You can mount him!!!? I only took a picture of him and killed him, lol

Lmao. Yeah, he has unlimited Stamina but really goes down fast. And as soon you leave him alone for a few seconds he's gone. I managed to make him swim a bit without vanishing though.

Alienous

So my brother was playing the game earlier. He decides to go directly to Gerudo Desert as his first Divine Beast. Gets there are the temperature is too high, so he removes all of Link's clothes. Still too hot, so I jokingly advise him to find some shade. He runs to some shade and it actually decreases his temperature just enough so that he isn't taking damage - my mind is blown.

Then he goes to the Shrine just outside of Gerudo Town. He gets to the second half (the right side) of the Shrine and realizes he doesn't have enough barrels. I suggest that he think outside of the box, and that everything he needs to complete the puzzle is in the Shrine. He thinks for a second then he goes to the metal block that connects the gap on the right side and strikes it several times with the Thunderblade, which opens the gate to the other cube. I thought using a blade to complete the circuit was the only solution.

Guys guys at least he's immortalized as a picture in my compendium

real reason: I thought he would drop hella rupees like a blue rabbit

LOL did it fight back at least?

Also I just realized I completed all shrines and compendium (thank you money) and haven't found the snowball bowling game yet.

180+ hours and I've been to every region and I don't remember seeing a bear.
Spoiler intolerant? If yes, don't read.

There's a small plain on top of one of the mountains, that has 4 Bokos riding a bear each having a fun time hunting.
Stopped for like 3 minutes to absorve the scene then left the guys alone with their busyness. They' ve earned that little peace of mind that day.

There's another interesting scene with bears. An area in a small wood with various bears guarding a cave with some honey pots inside.
They get pretty agressive.

Anyway, bears can be seen in most main regions. i think i even saw one near the desert or at least in a transition area close to it. Places i haven't seen them is were it doesn't make sense in real life, like a beach or in the tropical jungle area.

Lizardus

There's a small plain on top of one of the mountains, that has 4 Bokos riding a bear each having a fun time hunting.
Stopped for like 3 minutes to absorve the scene then left the guys alone with their busyness. They' ve earned that little peace of mind that day.

There's another interesting scene with bears. An area in a small wood with various bears guarding a cave with some honey pots inside.

Anyway, bears can be seen in most main regions. i think i even saw one near the desert or at least in a transition area close to it. Places i haven't seen them is were it doesn't make sense in real life, like a beach or in the tropical jungle area.

I've never run across those two areas. Can you specify them?

Interesting interaction,

Early on in the Zora plotline they mention that Zora skin is highly shockprone and thus Zoras are afraid to touch shock arrows.

Now as for the special interaction, if you swing a weapon at any Zora they will be mad/surprised and the guards will try to knock you back. A thunder weapon on the other hand will cause the Zora to cower in fear. Works even on Sidon. Funny how they took every Zora and coded in that special shock interaction.

mrkgoo

I've come across that second one. it's basically a
bear cave
, lol.

I've never run across those two areas. Can you specify them?
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01g1sk1.jpg

Maedela's Mantle in the Gerudo Highlands south of Gerudo Summit.

Interesting interaction,

Early on in the Zora plotline they mention that Zora skin is highly shockprone and thus Zoras are afraid to touch shock arrows.

Now as for the special interaction, if you swing a weapon at any Zora they will be mad/surprised and the guards will try to knock you back. A thunder weapon on the other hand will cause the Zora to cower in fear. Works even on Sidon. Funny how they took every Zora and coded in that special shock interaction.
Very impressive indeed.

i thought this was just referenced with the old geezer doing shock therapy with the electric arrow.

kizmah

I finished the game without even knowing there are bears in there. I really look forward to the story dlc to properly dive in again.

Amikami

Banned
Damn. Haven't figured out how to take my screenshots from the switch yet but thought this was so cool.

Was in Divine Beast Nabooris. It's the beast that uses electricity. There's these electric orbs, about two that are needed to access one of the terminals. Basically, the idea is to take an orb and to place it in the outlet bowls on each side so that electricity is conducted up to the switches, which will trigger the gate to open so you can access the terminal.

Well, before I had any idea what to do with the electric orbs, I was fooling around with one of them and accidentally allowed it to roll off the edge. It eventually bounced and rolled completely out of the divine beast. Once I figured out what I needed the orbs for, I realize I only have one of them and the second one refuses to respawn. I wonder if I should leave the beast and reenter but really don't want to.

So I just say fuck it and start goofing around. Electric arrows trigger the button but not longer enough to make the gate open so that's out. Throwing an electric weapon doesn't work because the think isn't actually continually discharging electricity.

So at this point, I'm really thinking I'm going to have to leave the divine beast and pray the electric orb comes back but I try one more crazy idea. With the one orb I do have placed in its outlet bowl, I end up dropping all the metal swords, staffs and bows I have and use magneses to line them up. I ended up electrocuting myself a few times but with the first weapon in a line touching the active lightning orb and the last weapon in the line placed in the empty outlet bowl, I created a whole fucking live wire made of weapons and activated the gate. I'm still shaking.

Fucking love this game!

Edit: Damn, last comment of the page -_-

Damn. Haven't figured out how to take my screenshots from the switch yet but thought this was so cool.

Was in Divine Beast Nabooris. It's the beast that uses electricity. There's the7se electric orbs, about two that are needed to access one of the terminals. Basically, the idea is to take an orb and to place it in the outlet bowls on each side so that electricity is conducted up to the switches, which will trigger the gate to open so you can access the terminal.

Well, before I had any idea what to do with the electric orbs, I was fooling around with one of them and accidentally allowed it to roll off the edge. It eventually bounced and rolled completely out of the divine beast. Once I figured out what I needed the orbs for, I realize I only have one of them and the second one refuses to respawn. I wonder if I should leave the beast and reenter but really don't want to.

So I just say fuck it and start goofing around. Electric arrows trigger the button but not longer enough to make the gate open so that's out. Throwing an electric weapon doesn't work because the think isn't actually continually discharging electricity.

So at this point, I'm really thinking I'm going to have to leave the divine beast and pray the electric orb comes back but I try one more crazy idea. With the one orb I do have placed in its outlet bowl, I end up dropping all the metal swords, staffs and bows I have and use magneses to line them up. I ended up electrocuting myself a few times but with the first weapon in a line touching the active lightning orb and the last weapon in the line placed in the empty outlet bowl, I created a whole fucking live wire made of weapons and activated the gate. I'm still shaking.

Fucking love this game!

Edit: Damn, last comment of the page -_-

Cool stuff.

For screenshots, early on I used an SD card to move them to PC, but that was a hassle, so now I setup the Switch to post them to a private Facebook album that only I can see. As soon as I post a screenshot, I can quickly view it on my phone and download or share it.

Amikami

Banned
Cool stuff.

For screenshots, early on I used an SD card to move them to PC, but that was a hassle, so now I setup the Switch to post them to a private Facebook album that only I can see. As soon as I post a screenshot, I can quickly view it on my phone and download or share it.

Oh cool. Thanks for the advice. Will try this.

Top Bottom