• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

I'm sure this has happened to someone else, but no one I've talked to personally.

I attacked a camp of mostly Bokoblins and a couple Moblins. I climbed up on part of a broken wall and I was firing bombs and arrows down at them while they were chucking rocks at me.

A Moblin got fed up with this, walked over and picked up a Bokoblin and threw him at me, knocking me off the wall. It was pretty funny to watch, actually. Never expected it.

Avalanche

Prior to Vah Ruta, the Zora girl who sends the canister downstream stays in her parents' inn at Zora's Domain.

At one point, she wasn't in the inn while the canister was. It wouldn't be a Zelda game without going into people's properties and destroying their belongings, so I smashed it and went to speak to her father about staying at the inn. Before I could book, she came in and interrupted the conversation, shouting at me about destroying her love letters.

Very cool attention to detail given there's a good chance you wouldn't even speak to her prior to the dungeon.

Black Bokoblins (and possibly others, though I haven't seen it) can kick bombs back at you. Like, if you're running away and drop a bomb, intending to blow it up as they run by it, they'll run up and kick it at you.

Black Bokoblins (and possibly others, though I haven't seen it) can kick bombs back at you. Like, if you're running away and drop a bomb, intending to blow it up as they run by it, they'll run up and kick it at you.

Blue Bokoblins and up have somewhat improved AI and slightly altered attack patterns and start kicking back bombs and surrounding link.

I'm sure this has happened to someone else, but no one I've talked to personally.

I attacked a camp of mostly Bokoblins and a couple Moblins. I climbed up on part of a broken wall and I was firing bombs and arrows down at them while they were chucking rocks at me.

A Moblin got fed up with this, walked over and picked up a Bokoblin and threw him at me, knocking me boff the wall. It was pretty funny to watch, actually. Never expected it.

Stalmoblins do this too. And stalbokoblins also suffer the punishment from the living and skeletal moblins.

Yeah had to change my strategy against them when my bomb plan blew up in my face xD

Kuranghi

I like to throw down chu jellies + food so the blins come over to feast and then I freeze/electrocute/burn/soak the blins by shooting the jellies with my bow.

I noticed that the wooden spikes that you see around the Lake Tower and at some bokoblin camps hurt you, enemies or animals if they hit them with sufficient speed, so if you if you are fighting blins near spikes its a good idea to try to knock them back onto the spikes.

This gave me an idea - you can stasis chu jelly and then whack it towards the spikes and freeze/electrocute/burn/soak any nearby blins, shoot an arrow near the spikes first to attract the blins.

My favourite version of these events is this: lure a couple of blins over to the spikes then soak them with numerous blue chu jellies then when they return to their friends, an electric arrow/weapon on the wet blins will create the electric AOE and hit every one of the blins nearby, its very helpful for clearing out "skull" bases quickly.

An alternate version of events during rain/thunderstorm: if its raining, run around the skull base to make the blins come outside but don't let them see you, give them a merry chase around the skull base so they are outside in the rain for a 30 seconds at least, then they will all be "soaked" and you can apply the above method.

p.s - I discovered the "chu jelly on spikes" method around the Lake tower, I tried to throw jellies down into one of the channels with spikes and blins in them and they landed on the spikes and exploded instantly.

Kuranghi

I did not know we could "soak" enemies.

Wtf.

It's one of my favourite things to do, I tried for ages to "soak" an electric wizzrobe to see if its a one-hit kill like fire is to ice 'robes and vice versa.

Unfortunately it doesn't, it does still soak them though, not sure what that helps with though since they are immune to electric [I think].

Cool stuff.

For screenshots, early on I used an SD card to move them to PC, but that was a hassle, so now I setup the Switch to post them to a private Facebook album that only I can see. As soon as I post a screenshot, I can quickly view it on my phone and download or share it.
How can I make the switch do that?

Wtf.

I know you can get objects and enemies "wet", which affects the effect of things like fire and electricity on them (I posted about wet arrows and wooden weapons not catching fire earlier in this thread, and the game explicitly tells you shock arrows are especially effective against wet enemies), but I'm skeptical of it taking 30 seconds under the rain to "soak" an enemy. I'd think it would be almost instantaneous.
How can I make the switch do that?

System Settings - Users - Posting to Social Media - link your account

Then you can post any screenshot from the album. But I recently noticed that they get further compressed on Facebook on top of the Switch's already aggressive JPG compression, making your screenshots look pretty awful when viewed on a monitor or large display (they look alright when viewed on a phone though).

I wish Nintendo would allow us to save screenshots as PNG or let us adjust the level of JPG compression applied.

Kuranghi

I'm skeptical of it taking 30 seconds under the rain to "soak" an enemy. I'd think it would be almost instantaneous.

I'm basing the 30 seconds on my experience with blins at a skull base in the Gerudo desert. It was raining and the blins ran out and after about 15 seconds of fighting they still weren't creating an electric AOE from my electric arrows/weapons, maybe because it was the desert they had a higher temperature and thus took a second to soak? Or because it wasn't very strong rainfall?

Also, sometimes I see rain when there is no rain icon on the weather jambo, maybe it won't soak enemies if it doesnt show there? So many possibilities, what a fantastic game.

edit: Oooh, also I was tormenting them with red chu jellies inside before they came out into the rain, maybe they were "toasty" from that? Like the opposite of the soaked wooden weapons/arrows?

I know you can get objects and enemies "wet", which affects the effect of things like fire and electricity on them (I posted about wet arrows and wooden weapons not catching fire earlier in this thread, and the game explicitly tells you shock arrows are especially effective against wet enemies), but I'm skeptical of it taking 30 seconds under the rain to "soak" an enemy. I'd think it would be almost instantaneous.

System Settings - Users - Posting to Social Media - link your account

Then you can post any screenshot from the album. But I recently noticed that they get further compressed on Facebook on top of the Switch's already aggressive JPG compression, making your screenshots look pretty awful when viewed on a monitor or large display (they look alright when viewed on a phone though).

Thank you :)

I like to throw down chu jellies + food so the blins come over to feast and then I freeze/electrocute/burn/soak the blins by shooting the jellies with my bow.

I noticed that the wooden spikes that you see around the Lake Tower and at some bokoblin camps hurt you, enemies or animals if they hit them with sufficient speed, so if you if you are fighting blins near spikes its a good idea to try to knock them back onto the spikes.
When you want to knock enemies into environmental hazards always carry around the toy Spring Loaded Hammer sold by Kilton. For the people that have issues with various silver enemies and weapon durability if you are near a cliff, river, spikes, etc just use that item to send them flying and quickly take care of them without damaging other weapons.

Wtf.
Really? Not even rain is necessary to quickly notice.

For example, if you are fighting enemies in shallow water all it takes is for the enemy to step on it and the game instantly tags them as "soaked" when it gets out of the water. Electric attacks from jelly, swords or arrows will get the area of effect when it hits that enemy.

It goes for objects, animals and even Link. Some animals even have a drying animation and Link gets a limited fire resistance when he's wet.

A similar effect with an enviroment interaction is when you freeze something. For example, freezing an enemy near the volcano will make the effect last substantially less than when freezing the same enemy in other region due to the "air temperature" difference.

Kuranghi

I've played for 250~ hours total and I haven't been to the Zora region, Goron Region, "Korok" region [except to get upgrades from Hestu], Rito region or into the castle haha, I like to take my time, so while I know who Kilton is, I haven't met him yet and thus can only imagine how fun a spring loaded hammer will be. :D :D :D

I had to restart after 150 hours played and I didn't want to do the same 50% of the game I did the first time, last. I only watched the other playthrough as well so was fun to do it myself.

A similar effect with an enviroment interaction is when you freeze something. For example, freezing an enemy near the volcano will make the effect last substantially less than when freezing the same enemy in other region due to the "air temperature" difference.
Didn't know that. Very neat. Although I did notice that enemies freeze time seemed to vary sometimes, I wasn't sure of it or knew that ambient temperature affected it.

Didn't know that. Very neat. Although I did notice that enemies freeze time seemed to vary sometimes, I wasn't sure of it or knew that ambient temperature affected it.
The way "Ambient Temperature" is implemented in the game is intresting, at least to me, because it has more detail than i first anticipated.

Take the Ice House in Gerudo Desert. As soon as Link takes the stairs down the temperature starts to drop, reaching it's lowest value when inside the ice vault. i mean for what amounts to a little room in the middle of the desert is impresive attention to detail.

As we know, the temperature drops with altitude. However it also takes into consideration where Link is ascending. Getting to the same altitude in the Hebra region doesn't drop to the same value as doing it in Eldin, since the influence of the Volcano keeps the temperature higher at similar distance from the ground. Another cool thing is to witness rain turning into snow as one ascends.

A good way to witness this behavior is by doing the Magnesis flying trick. Which in retrospect is kind of weird they went to this extent programming with such scrutinity when the most apparent way to notice it is doing something that the developers didn't intend in the first place. Of course another way is using Octo Ballons on objects to ride but you need many to reach very high altitudes.

Another things i noticed recently:
  • When i was checking out about doing the Korok trial without touching the Master Sword. For the stealth mision shrine, i noticed that you can use the paraglider to float above the little Korok and if you know the path you don't have to tail him around and instead go straight to the shrine. This is made easier since the path is sort of marked by the pink flowers but most noticibly a path of Silent Princess set around.
  • For the trial of Iron, you don't even need to talk to the Korok. Just navigate with magnesis until you reach the shrine.
  • Was fooling around the flying beast and noticed that all switches are reachable without manipulating the beast with the map, there are ways to use the wind drafts in the default beast position. So i guess you can complete it without downloading the map.
  • Withouth activating the Towers is possible to populate the map to some degree. Stables, Shrines, Towns and captured Korok seeds are marked when activated. Couple this with the 105 custom stamps and it makes extra playthrougs more interesting to navigate.

SomTervo

Really? Not even rain is necessary to quickly notice.

For example, if you are fighting enemies in shallow water all it takes is for the enemy to step on it and the game instantly tags them as "soaked" when it gets out of the water. Electric attacks from jelly, swords or arrows will get the area of effect when it hits that enemy.

It goes for objects, animals and even Link. Some animals even have a drying animation and Link gets a limited fire resistance when he's wet.

Really. My playstyle just doesn't involve looking at that detail very much.

I notice all the contextual effects of heat and rain etc - I'm just literally talking about 'soaked' property. Never noticed it.

I just used stasis on the chest, cut the rope, and then quickly grabbed it with magnesis before the stasis ran out.

I just got there and tried this, actually you can't grab it with magnesis before stasis runs out. Magnesis won't activate on it as long as it's under stasis, so you have to time it perfectly to grab it with magnesis just after stasis runs out and before it falls, which is tricky.

This solution and the pendulon method are the ones people come up with the most. im not sure, but i think i grabbed that by manipulating the beast neck, which is probably the "intended" way... yes big quotes in there.

Yeah I'm going to do this.

Edit: wait, the beast's neck can't actually be manipulated. We're talking about the desert beast. I don't see anything you can do with the map that would affect that chest.

ReyVGM

Saw a Lynel way far below. Slowly glided down to attack him from above. Dropped down for an heavy attack from above and to my surprise...

You can ride Lynels. (For a little bit.)

While you are "riding" them, you can also sneak in a few hits with your weapon. That's one of the techniques I use to beat them. Hit them in the face with an arrow, mount them and score a few free hits.

Spoilers about koko, the kid from kakariko:

If you go to kakariko during the early morning, and go to the cemetery, kok will be there crying for her mother, however, if it's raining, she will have a different line of dialogue along the lines of "the rains help disguise my tears"

another neat detail is that while yiga clan members will attack you after you defeat master kohga, the fake travelers will only start to appear when you talk to impa, because as we know one of her guards worked for the yiga clan and was giving them info so they wouldn't hurt his daughters.
i always get confused with what people say in regards to this.

Doing the desert first, the safe asumption is that the Yoga clan members around Hyrule are due to defeating master Khoga. However, i remember someone in this thread saying he saw Yiga clan members early in the game even though he never went to the desert. To verify this, in other playthrougs, i payed close attention and havent seen any Yiga around if not doing the desert quest.

So Honorio what we should be saying is:
  • Talk to Impa only, we get disguised Yiga. Nothing else.
  • Defeat Khoga only. Yiga guards through out Hyrule. Nothing else.
  • Do both. Full Yiga presence.
Impressive attention to detail if it works like that, specially the disguised guard part. And to think some peole say the plot for this game is too sparse. The game doesn't beat you with the exposure stick, instead opting to comunicate it's plot and world building in a more natural way in terms of how one interacts with the game.

Spoilers about koko, the kid from kakariko:

If you go to kakariko during the early morning, and go to the cemetery, kok will be there crying for her mother, however, if it's raining, she will have a different line of dialogue along the lines of "the rains help disguise my tears"
One of the first things pointed out in the compilation post. i think it is under the charatcer's reaction section or close to it.

Another detail not mentioned here, i think:

The idle character animation when Link is on top of a horse chanches depending on the numerical value of afinity. One animation for <50 and a more subtle peaceful one for >50.
I did some tests right now to properly answer your question

So, to explain further what i meant.

- As soon as you leave the plateau, there are NO yiga clan members (either the ones that attack you, or the npcs disguised).

- if you talk to impa without defeating master kohga, diguised npcs will start to appear, the first one will talk to you as soon as you approach him, without any button prompt.

- If you defeat master kohga, this will prompt both npcs diguised and attacking ones. Disguised NPCs will talk about how you killed their master in this case.
For the most part it goes in line with my assumption save for both disguised NPC and Yiga member appearing after Khoga's defeat. Thanks for explaining in such detail.

Aware of the side quest, this is way i find the disguised members as an amazing attention to detail and world building.

i always get confused with what people say in regards to this.

Doing the desert first, the safe asumption is that the Yoga clan members around Hyrule are due to defeating master Khoga. However, i remember someone in this thread saying he saw Yiga clan members early in the game even though he never went to the desert. To verify this, in other playthrougs, i payed close attention and havent seen any Yiga around if not doing the desert quest.

So Honorio what we should be saying is:
  • Talk to Impa only, we get disguised Yiga. Nothing else.
  • Defeat Khoga only. Yiga guards through out Hyrule. Nothing else.
  • Do both. Full Yiga presence.
Impressive attention to detail if it works like that, specially the disguised guard part. And to think some peole say the plot for this game is too sparse. The game doesn't beat you with the exposure stick, instead opting to comunicate it's plot and world building in a more natural way in terms of how one interacts with the game.

I did some tests right now to properly answer your question

So, to explain further what i meant.

- As soon as you leave the plateau, there are NO yiga clan members (either the ones that attack you, or the npcs disguised).

- if you talk to impa without defeating master kohga, diguised npcs will start to appear, the first one will talk to you as soon as you approach him, without any button prompt.

- If you defeat master kohga, this will prompt both npcs diguised and attacking ones. Disguised NPCs will talk about how you killed their master in this case.

If you play the shrine quest about the missing heirloom, you will discover that one of the guards was giving information to the yiga clan about link, so that's why they start to papear after link visits impa, since that's the first moment of the guard getting notice of link.

goathouse774

Neo Member
If you cancel an arrow drawback, but don’t move at all, it stays in a quasi zoomed look state. It’s such a small thing, but it is a nice little touch.

If you stand on a protruding ore deposit with a metal hammer equipped, when you swing it, link actually angles the blow down between his legs to target the ore.

I "arm" Stasis when I’m looking for items in the environment because it highlights them in a highly visible yellow.

czk51

On my second playthrough now, and while collecting the Xenoblade Chronicles DLC items I also discoverd star fragments for the first time. Then while looking for an ideal photo shoot location to show off my gear set on twitter, I stumbled upon a very special mountain with an alluring green glow. First time I've ever seen it and it was purely by chance. Felt genuinely overwhelmed when I got to the top. What a gorgeous game.

Nosgotham

On my second playthrough now, and while collecting the Xenoblade Chronicles DLC items I also discoverd star fragments for the first time. Then while looking for an ideal photo shoot location to show off my gear set on twitter, I stumbled upon a very special mountain with an alluring green glow. First time I've ever seen it and it was purely by chance. Felt genuinely overwhelmed when I got to the top. What a gorgeous game.

awesome! great moments, like the first time seeing a dragon pop out if lake hylia. i used to just sit and stargaze, for shooting stars to go collect them. game is brilliant. im playing through again right now in anticipation for dlc

czk51

I STILL have no idea what the flying dragons do. I finally saw one flying around near a plateau and went beneath me. I was so excited I saved the game thinking I could experiment a bit. Jumped down, died, and re-loaded the save. It disappeared with the save for some reason (I think animals or critters 'reset' or move between saves, had the same issue trying to record doing a trick that involved a horse. Damn that sounds dodgy lol)

Top Bottom