• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Can we call this A LINK TO 1997? Cause that's what the art direction looks like.
I wonder if that was somehow... intentional?

Anyway, I have a feeling it'll get a separate name for the western release. Like "Off the Wall" or something referring to the wall mechanic lol

Zelda-Link-to-the-Past-Nintendo-Direct-630x354.jpg

Is that a Spore Crawler from Starcraft in the upper right?

Lunar15

Like seriously guys. Seriously.

Shut up about the art. Let me enjoy the return of isometric zelda in the vein of ALTTP, LA, and the Oracles for a little bit.

Let's debate about the art in like, a month or so.

Fabrik

Banned
You do realise that the second image is zoomed in to HALF the scale, right? (Even though Link's model appears to be the same size in both.) So blemishes stick out more?

Observe:

zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

The game will look great on the small-ish 3DS screen with double the pixel quality from the 3D.

I think the 3D version is mainly missing some black outlines and more vibrant colors but 3D is the way to go. The depth will make this even more amazing.

Anth0ny

I'm okay with the art style. It looks exactly like the LTTP art style, translated to (mediocre) 3DS 3D.

Also, it's fucking Link to the Past 2. Hype.

EVH

Uh, I don´t dislike the artstyle, but I'm in love with the Wind Waker one, and taking that "picture" mode, probably would make more sense.

Hope they bring back good stuff. I miss the rings from Oracle of Ages / Seasons as a collectible.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I bet Miyamoto told the team to only include characters, items and enemies from LTTP as well as making sure gameplay was the focus, a la Sticker Star.

Don't think I can take much more of this.

Was the story the focus of LttP? There were only about 3 NPCs of any real note.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This thread seems to be proving out a hypothesis: the only new Zelda game hardcore Zelda fans will accept is one that looks, animates, and plays exactly like whatever was their one favorite Zelda game as a kid. (Whatever generation the person in question is from.)

Point of fact, the Link sprite in this game is not as good as it could be and probably should be further refined. It's not nearly as bad as the more over-the-top reactions are painting it though.

We've seen hardly nothing of the game, you cannot say it's shit or it's great right now.

Exciting news. Did not see this coming at all.

Pretty confusing to see posters, who actually would have preferred another 3D handheld Zelda after Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. That's crazy!

SLFTcQU.png

ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

Literally translated:
Legend of Zelda: Kamigami no Triforce 2

Western name:
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past 2

We should start calling this Link to the Past 2 guys.

If it were the official title, it wouldn't be words under the standard Zelda logo. It is likely a tentative name.

Fey

Banned
The art style has grown on me in the past half hour tbh. At first I was disgusted, but I actually think it looks nice now.

I hope they make a 3D, OoT styled original Zelda game for 3DS though!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Its like I am at E3 after WW was announced all over again. I much prefer them change it up rather than use the same bland formula over and over.
No, Wind Waker is a fantastic, timeless realization of Zelda's original cartoon art concept. This looks disgusting and kitschy.

Forkball

The 3D video looks nice, I liked the deflected bones flying up on the screen.

Now let's discuss the deep lore of the LttP series. WILL EVIL ZORAS RETURN?

This thread seems to be proving out a hypothesis: the only new Zelda game hardcore Zelda fans will accept is one that looks, animates, and plays exactly like whatever was their one favorite Zelda game as a kid. (Whatever generation the person in question is from.)

Point of fact, the Link sprite in this game is not as good as it could be and probably should be further refined. It's not nearly as bad as the more over-the-top reactions are painting it though.

We've seen hardly nothing of the game, you cannot say it's shit or it's great right now.

I mostly agree but I think the mason dixon line is pre/post OoT.

Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

Get out, NOW!

I wonder if people actually remember how bad CGI models for games in 1997 actually were, or if their memories are as bad as the people who think that the game where you turned into a pink bunny rabbit and fought a giant blue pig in crayon colors wasn't cartoony.

TedNindo

I can't believe people would rather have a 3D Zelda a la OOT. 2D Zeldas are so consistently superior to them. I can already taste the delicious puzzles
3AQmK.gif

I would argue that 3d added a lot to the series. Mechanics wise oot is a far more complex game then alttp. Sure on the surface they might seem the same. But and extra dimension added a lot. Aiming something in 3d or just seeing a whole world ahead of you in the distance just waiting to be explored. I love them both. But OOT and MM would have been nowhere near as good in 2d. These were actual built interactive worlds with their own rules. Not just a 2d representation of one.

Btw I don't mind this being a 2d game. It's perfect for a handheld. More concentrated very gamey Zelda mechanics and more filled puzzly world. But I would be upset if this were the next wiiu one.

This is the best post in the thread.....

Majmun

HOLY CRAPPPPP

Nintendo should just ditch the Wii U and focus on their handhelds. They seem to be way more potent with portables.

I wonder if people actually remember how bad CGI models for games in 1997 actually were, or if their memories are as bad as the people who think that the game where you turned into a pink bunny rabbit and fought a giant blue pig in crayon colors wasn't cartoony.

People remember what males them feel good.

This is the best post in the thread.....

And completely accurate. Shame nothing about the gameplay is being discussed

As I said this is the ugliest Zelda ever. And I like the art in most Zelda games, but this is beyond awful, this is something I would easily believe is coming from Gameloft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom