• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

It didn't translate to the DS, which is a lot less capable than the 3DS.

It did translate to the GBA, weirdly.
That's why I mentioned "bare bones". Sure, Nintendo could probably do a lot more on the 3DS, but somehow I think they're too lazy to really flesh out the style up to a level where it needs to be.

Yeah, that Link model gives off some crazy strong LoZ1 vibes.

Dungeons look cool. Spirit Tracks had some of the best dungeons going so I trust them to do well in that department again.

khaaan

I'm not happy with it visually but excited none the less. It sort of looks like your secondary items are going to use magic. The end of the video shows Link using Bow & Arrows, every shot takes up some (regenerating) magic and there's no ammo count to be seen. The same thing applies to the hammer, each slam took up some magic. My biggest concern is that in the dungeon we saw there were a tonne of those launch pads and a decent amount of red/blue switches. I hope each dungeon tries to do keep it unique, I don't want everything to be "Look! You can hop to the upper level and then jump right back down!".

grebby

The visuals are pretty underwhelming. It's like New Super Mario Bros. for Zelda. That's not a good thing, it's just so boring.

Meelow

Banned
I'll get it because it's Zelda and I am a massive Zelda fanboy I'm not to lie lol.

I would love if this was also a Wii U eShop title.

I think this is one of my problems with it. I didn't mind the cartoony design of Wind Waker, and I don't mind the more realistic designs of the newer games. I really love the LttP artwork. But I think when they translated it to 3D, it went from good looking sprites to really cartoony clay. Everything just seems too cartoony, which I don't think is a style that LttP was trying to go for. Maybe if they made the colors a little deeper and didn't have everything constantly moving.

This is gonna be a bizarre comparison, but it reminds me of Roger Rabbit. When we first see Toon Town and all the buildings are bouncing and everything is in constant motion. That's the vibe I'm getting. Definitely not the more serious vibe of LttP.

Seeing as LttP is my favorite Zelda game, I'll still play it, and it'll probably be great. But I'm just not digging the art direction.

Sadist

ibgW1U2gMn1CHz.gif

Marlowe89

Well, I can see how people would find the art style and "2D" environment appealing. Wish that applied to me, but I'm just not interested.

RagnarokX

You mean like the DS games? God no.
The DS games were fine. The forced touch controls weren't great, but the dungeon design of both were really good and the world and characters of Spirit Tracks were great.

Why not just use this art direction:

zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

It looks way better!

Now compare it to the cheap 3d look:

6cab37fa6ddce881dc1f9e5b7e1ba.jpg

I know which I would prefer.

Because those are sprites. You can't just turn sprites backgrounds in a top down game into stereoscopic 3D and make it look good, you have to make a model and apply textures.

The style looks a bit weird to me, but I'll check out the eShop video before I made a preliminary judgement.

I was initially going to write this off, but then they said how the game would have new dungeons and a new story. Now, I'm on board : )

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Let the Zelda cycle begin!

Personally, I think it looks like LttP... and that's amazing. I love the style of Link.

Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

I must have missed all of the other Zelda games that look and play just like this one. Can you point me towards them because I'm really excited to play them!

Seriously, I can get people not being hyped about a game, but this is certainly a unique zelda game.

No it's not. Otherwise the subtitle would have appeared at the end of the video, if it were set in stone.

I didn't really see the American one, but it did say it in the Japanese one under the logo.

Though you're probably right in that it's a placeholder. It was just words under the standard Zelda logo, nothing pretty.

serplux

Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

You have no opinion.

In all seriousness, we haven't seen a 2D Zelda in 9 years. It's time.

For once i'll defend the game. It looks honestly like LTTP in 3D! WIll never be as crisp as pixel art. And you cannot really make 3D with pixel art in top view. You just cannot.

Yep.

It looks like LTTP....only in 3D.

The game looks great. Yeah, it's not pixel art, but for what it is, it's fantastic.

Yuck. Why not go for full 3D like Ocarina of Time? : /
Listen I'm just gonna lay this out there but every Zelda game that hasn't had a top down camera angle sucked* and seeing as the 3DS doesn't have a proper secondary stick I don't want to deal with tapping a button to reposition the camera again.

*Of course there are exceptions to everything and Majora's is the one for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom