• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is one of my problems with it. I didn't mind the cartoony design of Wind Waker, and I don't mind the more realistic designs of the newer games. I really love the LttP artwork. But I think when they translated it to 3D, it went from good looking sprites to really cartoony clay. Everything just seems too cartoony, which I don't think is a style that LttP was trying to go for. Maybe if they made the colors a little deeper and didn't have everything constantly moving.

This is gonna be a bizarre comparison, but it reminds me of Roger Rabbit. When we first see Toon Town and all the buildings are bouncing and everything is in constant motion. That's the vibe I'm getting. Definitely not the more serious vibe of LttP.

This is exactly it for me, but I don't want to harp on it toooo much based on a couple of seconds and the fact that I'm still excited to play the game.

But yeah, LTTP wasn't trying to look "stylized", it was trying to look as evocative as the SNES would allow.

Dvide

Banned
This is so fucking awesome. Too bad it ain't the original lttp-story though. I'd have liked to play that in 3D. Maybe DLC.

BowieZ

Banned
Why not just use this art direction:

zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

It looks way better!

Now compare it to the cheap 3d look:

6cab37fa6ddce881dc1f9e5b7e1ba.jpg

I know which I would prefer.
You do realise that the second image is zoomed in to HALF the scale, right? (Even though Link's model appears to be the same size in both.) So blemishes stick out more?

Observe:

The game will look great on the small-ish 3DS screen with double the pixel quality from the 3D.

m3k

lol well that came almost out of no where.... thanks ninty! i dont even think the most hardcore would have bothered dreaming about this happening.... really, whats going on

If this is their big Christmas game, I'm selling my system.

It's 2013. There's no excuse for making 2D Zelda other than laziness. I didn't buy a handheld this decade to play SNES games with polygons.

wot...

SLFTcQU.png

ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

Literally translated:
Legend of Zelda: Kamigami no Triforce 2

Western name:
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past 2

We should start calling this Link to the Past 2 guys.

noffles

Banned
I bet Miyamoto told the team to only include characters, items and enemies from LTTP as well as making sure gameplay was the focus, a la Sticker Star.

Don't think I can take much more of this.

Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

Because there's nothing inherently inferior about a 2d zelda.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Good lord this looks hideous. It looks like a licensed game based on a shitty CG cartoon IP, or a bad knockoff you'd see on the Android store.

Is Nintendo going to do this to all of their franchises? I think they've hit rock bottom when something this embarrassing is a major announcement.

You guys, be thankful we are getting a new, TRADITIONAL Zelda.

No more gimmicks, no more linearity. Zelda's back, baby.

One can only hope. I'm still worried.

And I didn't like the sound samples in the video. My opinion on the graphics is varied. They seem to pretty much be remaking the world of A Link to the Past indeed. It looks stale, but I'm not bitter about it like I have been with NEW Super Mario Bros. using its stale style for four (make that five now) games.

I need to see a real demo. That'll hopefully be at E3. My biggest concern is with the puzzles vs combat ratio. Puzzle solving in the DS games were pretty darn boring.

I hope the boss fights aren't just a glorified puzzle either. Gimme some reflex action! All this puzzle talk makes me wonder if this will really capture the feel of A Link to the Past or not. ALTTP had some puzzles, but it had good reflex action as well. And it's music was catchy FOR THE TIME. I don't want to hear those samples again for this game.

Dang, I want to be excited but I can't! Not right now. The Zelda team doesn't have my trust anymore, much less to make a sequel to the classic 2D games.

Hope the game turns out good! Right now, I have doubts if this is the 2D Zelda I've been waiting for, but I'd buy it. It's been too long and I'm happy they're using ALTTP as inspiration.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

Dude. I think it's a good time to step away from the computer for a little while. This is getting a little too intense.

zoukka

Good lord this looks hideous. It looks like a licensed game based on a shitty CG cartoon IP, or a bad knockoff you'd see on the Android store.

Is Nintendo going to do this to all of their franchises? I think they've hit rock bottom when something this embarrassing is a major announcement.

Goddamn you.

The problem people have with the art style is the fact that you don't really see Link, you see a big brown hair blob and that's all. It's like the protagonist from the first couple GTA games, strictly top down.

This is because the old Zelda games had a top down angle for the dungeons and world (which is really freaking important for seeing the important ground tile elements you interact with) but most of the characters were drawn in a 3/4ths pixel art style so you could see their faces.

Even in Orioto's art, you can see that it looks like Link is leaning back a little oddly.

Nintendo decided to draw Link top down in line with the rest of the world, so as to keep the world looking as it did on the SNES, even if the characters do not.

However I assume Link will look fine up close or from the side, we just haven't seen it yet. I bet when you talk to people in town it will zoom down to them or something.

Haunted

Why not just use this art direction:

I don't get why they didn't just go with the Wind Waker style; everyone agrees it is the best Zelda has ever looked.
Because they've already used either of these in three separate games (LttP/Minish Cap/4 Swords + WW/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks).

I mean, not that this has stopped Nintendo before :)lol) but I'd rather have them change it up every now and then. That Zelda has had such varying styles over the years helps it keep fresh.

I'll have to see more to judge the new one, but we'll see.

Pineconn

So Iwata mentioned that this will be in the LttP world with new dungeons. Does that mean that the overworld(s) will be the same? I feel like cross checking LttP with this new footage to see if the overworld segments line up.

Its like I am at E3 after WW was announced all over again. I much prefer them change it up rather than use the same bland formula over and over.

Alfredo

Game looks kinda ugly, but at least it's not Wind Waker style again, I guess?

I dunno. I love Link to the Past, I'll probably give this a shot.

But, yeah, I'm with Ryan. Give that dude pink hair.

I think this is one of my problems with it. I didn't mind the cartoony design of Wind Waker, and I don't mind the more realistic designs of the newer games. I really love the LttP artwork. But I think when they translated it to 3D, it went from good looking sprites to really cartoony clay. Everything just seems too cartoony, which I don't think is a style that LttP was trying to go for. Maybe if they made the colors a little deeper and didn't have everything constantly moving.

This is gonna be a bizarre comparison, but it reminds me of Roger Rabbit. When we first see Toon Town and all the buildings are bouncing and everything is in constant motion. That's the vibe I'm getting. Definitely not the more serious vibe of LttP.

Seeing as LttP is my favorite Zelda game, I'll still play it, and it'll probably be great. But I'm just not digging the art direction.

That's how I'm feeling about it. It's far too "cartoony" feeling, and that doesn't have anything to do with the direction they were trying to go for, the lttp style. It could look fantastic in 3D, but they went about it in the wrong way.

You're right about the constant motion, those smiley face bumpers are really annoying and out of place. It takes away the sense of atmosphere, all you see is that stupid face.

It also bothers me that the paper link looks like the scroll art from Wind Waker, which is completely out of place in this style.

zroid

Banned
Can't believe people are actually hating on a new traditional top-down Zelda

good god, Internet gonna Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom