• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Cat

Thank god for no WW Toon Link. He looked great on the GC, but the bare bones representation of that art style didn't translate well over to handheld at all.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't get why they didn't just go with the Wind Waker style; everyone agrees it is the best Zelda has ever looked.

What? I don't agree with that, and I'm part of everyone.

Sheroking

Why not just use this art direction:

zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

It looks way better!

Because Zelda is a massive franchise and using the art of a game that was dated two handheld generations ago makes no damned sense?

Because it would be difficult to integrate 3D with 2D pixel art?

Because LttP's graphical style was overrated to begin with, and doesn't represent Zelda's visual development over the last 15 years?

Thank god for no WW Toon Link. He looked great on the GC, but the bare bones representation of that art style didn't translate well over to the handheld at all.

It didn't translate to the DS, which is a lot less capable than the 3DS.

It did translate to the GBA, weirdly.

mclem

Wow. Shitty art direction and I'm so sick of 2.5D. Make it 2D. 2D Sprites would look awesome on the 3DS and the 3D could be awesome.

UGH.

I'm trying to think just how you'd do walls slanted away from the camera well in sprite-based 2D. It strikes me as being difficult to pull off convincingly, although I may have missed something important.

The Japanese Nintendo Direct referred to this game as "Kamigami no Triforce 2," or "Link to the Past 2."

Transcript of Reggie you can add to the OP:

Reggie said:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, was originally released for the Super NES in 1992. Those of you who've heard me speak about this game know that it's my favorite of all time. More than 20 years after this landmark game was originally released, we're now developing a new game that will take place in the same game world, for Nintendo 3DS.

What our developers want to achieve in this new Zelda game, is to reinvigorate the flat 2D world of The Link to the Past with a sense of height and volume using the three-dimensional display of Nintendo 3DS. With it, it's easier to differentiate levels in the environment, and our developers can utilize height differences in dungeons as a puzzle-solving mechanic.

While this game is set in the world of A Link to the Past, it features an original storyline and entirely new dungeons. Also in this game, Link can become a drawing and move within walls. By moving in the walls, your viewpoint changes, and you can see the connections within the area that you couldn't observe before. This new mechanic will play a key role in solving puzzles in the game.

Because we want you to experience the full game world with the full 3D visuals our developers have created, we've prepared a 3D video you can download from the Nintendo eShop shortly after this video concludes. We'll be launching this exciting new game in the Zelda series for Nintendo 3DS this holiday season.

Meesh

I can't believe this is real... All I need now is a propper FF and I'll be complete. Nintendo delivers, now fix that damned Wiiu!!

I really didn't like the aesthetic of the DS Zeldas, but this pleases me greatly. Not as nice as the original 2D, or the revamped Four Swords version, but they obviously needed a 3D engine for this and I think they've done a fine job capturing the general direction of LttP. Very excited about this.

Err.. what? Where does this myth come from?

Here's the replies from the first page of the Skyward Sword announcement thread:

Exactly. I loved SS's style when we first saw it. I'll criticize it now after it's been out for a few things, but I think it looks awesome over all.

This though, this does not cut it. Alttp's style does not directly translate into 3D.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, I always read those bobbing up and down things as smiling faces so it's kind of nice to see I was reading the sprite right all along.

Moxx19

Banned
The art style looks fine imo. Its what I'd expect a 3d version of ALTTP to look like. Seems like they translated it well

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If this is their big Christmas game, I'm selling my system.

It's 2013. There's no excuse for making 2D Zelda other than laziness. I didn't buy a handheld this decade to play SNES games with polygons.

Ha ha you're funny.

Oh wait, this was a serious post?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All this talk about the art? Who the fuck cares.

It's a goddamn top down Zelda.

Finally.

No, you don't get it. They're like negative sharks. If they stop shitting on something, they die.

Velcro Fly

So are we all in agreement about button control and not stylus control for this one? Top down 2D there is no way it's stylus control, right?

takriel

Well I like the way it looks...

Also, it's actually called Link to the Past 2.

No it's not. Otherwise the subtitle would have appeared at the end of the video, if it were set in stone.

New The Legend of Zelda... :(

Bland art and cheap-looking graphics.

Well, as long as it has the same or even better exploration and atmosphere as the original aLttP, I'll be more than happy.

Guys, we have only seen a tiny tidbit of the game. Let's wait and see where they're going with it. I find it certainly interesting!

I have been asking for this since FOREVER. In almost every 3DS this is all I post that I want. My god. I have NEVER been so excited for a game. If Nintendo releases a limited edition 3DS XL with this .... eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

noffles

Banned
Wow, you're so angry. Deep breaths.

Why would I not be?! Nintendo's taking our childhood and smearing its 'innovation' and 'art' all over it. LTTP wasn't even good to begin with, so why bother?

I'm genuinely considering trading in my 3DS now. I wanted a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS, not this crap.

Fireblend

Banned
I can't believe people would rather have a 3D Zelda a la OOT. 2D Zeldas are so consistently superior to them. I can already taste the delicious puzzles
3AQmK.gif

Baleoce

I'm not feeling the art direction personally (just from what's been shown so far), but I'm definitely looking forward to more news/gameplay and being swayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom