• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Is it wrong that I liked 2D, top down Zelda games like Oracle of Seasons to Ocarina of Time (3DS version)?

I just never got into OoT like I did OoS. I feel like having a portable system makes 2D Zelda games more appropriate. I also didn't know what to do half the time in OoT and found the compact world of OoS much more appropriate.

Try Skyward Sword?

PKrockin

Is it wrong that I liked 2D, top down Zelda games like Oracle of Seasons to Ocarina of Time (3DS version)?

I just never got into OoT like I did OoS. I feel like having a portable system makes 2D Zelda games more appropriate. I also didn't know what to do half the time in OoT and found the compact world of OoS much more appropriate.

I always thought it was made clear in OoT what you have to do next, but did you know you can call Saria to get a refresher on your objective? There's also the Sheikah Stone next to your house in OoT3D.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
eyvNG.gif

duckroll

You didn't think that was brilliant? It made the boss fights that had it much more panicky for me. Almost worse than just dying.

It was pretty shitty fight tbh. I replayed LttP about 2 years ago, and it wasn't even a hard fight, just kinda annoying if you mess up. Not a very interesting battle.

Bentles

you don't know this. You can't from a one minute trailer. The game could share 4 screens with LttP and then suddenly make a huge shift to some other world.

At this point we have no idea.

Yeah you're right. I was careful to say this in my original post but slacked off a bit in that one. It just looks like they prioritised "being like LttP" over whatever other ideas they might have had. Which seems a shame to me. But honestly, who knows?

Try Skyward Sword?

I dont have a Wii, but I have a 3DS and Gameboy Color. After all the hype towards OoT, I just couldn't get into the 3D world for some reason. Everything from the dungeons to the overworld didn't excite me. I don't know, the 2D Zelda games just feel more charming and more "coherent" as a world to explore

I always thought it was made clear in OoT what you have to do next, but did you know you can call Saria to get a refresher on your objective? There's also the Sheikah Stone next to your house in OoT3D.

I felt like a cheater using the Sheikah Stone, and I'm aware of Saria, thanks. I felt pretty dumb for not solving the puzzles half the time, but the other half, I felt like I didn't really know I could do what I could. Catching the fish with the empty jar in Zora (sp?) Cave for example

It was pretty shitty fight tbh. I replayed LttP about 2 years ago, and it wasn't even a hard fight, just kinda annoying if you mess up. Not a very interesting battle.

Agreed. It's more frustrating than anything. I replay LTTP almost every year and I never look forward to it.

Rootbeer

Banned
It is a piece of art.

This game is going to do HUGE numbers.

So glad they went with something like this instead of another Phantom Hourglass type thing.

Brera

Banned
I'm in two minds about this.

The music sounds amazing but some of those dungeons look kinda familiar. Lack of motion controls and a top down viewpoint are a bonus but...it looks odd.

This looks like its been outsourced...some western company is making it isn't it?

Please let it not be the case. Don't rape my dreams Nintendo.

DaBoss

I dont have a Wii, but I have a 3DS and Gameboy Color. After all the hype towards OoT, I just couldn't get into the 3D world for some reason. Everything from the dungeons to the overworld didn't excite me. I don't know, the 2D Zelda games just feel more charming and more "coherent" as a world to explore

Oh, OK. Skyward Sword seems to be what would be perfect for you. The world is compact and there is quite a bit of assistance going on.

I'm in two minds about this.

The music sounds amazing but some of those dungeons look kinda familiar. Lack of motion controls and a top down viewpoint are a bonus but...it looks odd.

This looks like its been outsourced...some western company is making it isn't it?

Please let it not be the case. Don't rape my dreams Nintendo.

Never change man. :lol

I'm saying that gating your progress by hiding things in random places halfway across the map isn't "treating the player as intelligent" or whatever was said. Yes if you come across it there's no problem, it's not much of a puzzle, but if you don't there is no hint about what to do except for in freaking nintendo power (lol). No they don't need infinity hand holding like some of their recent efforts, but getting away from some of that archaic stuff is a good thing. Like I said it's just like pixel hunting in an adventure game. People don't need to try to justify it because LttP isn't actually a perfect game.

Well, I guess I can agree that a game where there's literally no hint in-game - either via a cue or expecting you to remember something odd from earlier, or that could be extrapolated from mechanics presented to you beforehand - or that a solution was completely binary and had no room for you to develop a new idea from brute force experimentation, then yeah, I'd agree that puzzle could have been designed better. I just don't know that ALttP had this problem.

zruben

Banned
ibapmsGKSZTigU.bmp

seeing the Link face and features... kinda reminded me of this Link.
Zelda%20NES-%20Link.gif

NINTENDO RELYING ON NOSTALGIA; DOOMED; ETC; ETC

Shinypogs

I wonder how vital the ability to use the 3d function will be. I legit can't see it due to one of my eyes being fucked up and I'd hate for the game to be unplayable because of it. I mean it looks like it plays just fine to begin with but I have no idea what the eshop vid looks like and it it implies there's stuff I wouldn't be able to see properly.

imjust1n

Banned
This is a good way to wake up too.

I dont know about that art in the walls thing though seems kinda funky.

I will still buy and enjoy im sure.

jett

D-Member
That area was indeed from the original overworld (light world).

Here's a comparison:

diagarrowlpaid.gif

iS1mmPk.png

Looks like they added more bushes this time around.

I don't understand why does the overworld look so blurry. It's like there's a smudge filter on the ridges. I wonder if Aonuma's team is actually working on this, it looks like a poor facsimile of ALTTP to me so far.

Shion

fYhEs4m.png

Well the haters have succeeded. Nostalgia, rehashing, zelda-was-never-any-good-anyway, blah blah blah, that's all this thread is going to be about for roughly 50 pages until the hate subsides
Or maybe it's just people having different opinions and, more importantly, different standards.

Criticism = "hate" now?

I love the Zelda series and, yet, I believe that this game looks bland, cheap and sterile.

I expect so much more from a Zelda game, this just screams low-effort to me.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. I thought we would get an original Zelda game with new world, new art style, new enemies. It almost feels like an enhanced port of LTTP.

I'll stl buy it cuz its a new Zelda.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Remember, they also did the same thing in the final boss fight. In that case it basically was the same as dying since Ganon regained all his health. :p

I hated it but I thought it was a good mechanic. Boss fights shouldn't be walks through a dewy meadow.

duckroll

I don't understand why does the overworld look so blurry. It's like there's a smudge filter on the ridges.

I think it's because it's taken from the Nintendo Direct video which is a video playing within a window in the video which was uploaded to Youtube and then used as a source for the gif.

PKrockin

I wonder how vital the ability to use the 3d function will be. I legit can't see it due to one of my eyes being fucked up and I'd hate for the game to be unplayable because of it. I mean it looks like it plays just fine to begin with but I have no idea what the eshop vid looks like and it it implies there's stuff I wouldn't be able to see properly.

You have nothing to worry about. Even in games that rely heavily advertise 3D it's nowhere near required.

No one's sad that 2D graphic are simply dead (outside of indie games)? =(

Mario and Luigi is using sprites and is releasing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom