• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZeniMax: Palmer Luckey knowingly lied about creating VR, used stolen code & resources

umm its just an allegation. you are reading Zenimax's lawyers version of the events. of course they are going to sound damning.

The truth is usually somewhere in b/w.

In the case of Luckey, there's a fairly public trail in regards to his ability to build headsets. there's no in between here. Zenimax is overstating the software component of modern VR so they can get more money if they win. However, optics, head tracking via HW, and comfort ( material choice ) are far more important to contemporary VR. those are things in which Palmer Luckey does know, and Carmack isn't as great at.

Wallach

I'm pretty sure when they say "developed by ZeniMax" they really just mean John Carmack, but even then I don't know how they could substantiate such a claim if Carmack does not corroborate. Which he inevitably won't.

Carmack's collaboration with Luckey is what led to the prototype Rift, so I don't really understand how they make the claim that Luckey was not involved when there will be easily provable differences between the work Carmack had done prior and the prototype Rift (which for the purposes of a lawsuit I'm sure Carmack would be eager to list in great detail). I feel like they're banking on Carmack's work on HMDs being legally attributable to ZeniMax, but Carmack already publicly detailed Luckey's involvement in the media himself that led to the first Rift prototype that - as they mention here was demoed using Doom 3 - which ZeniMax didn't ever dispute at the time while Carmack was still a ZeniMax employee.

QaaQer

considering it only talks about Luckey's inability to code in that paragraph when a majority of HW engineers are not coders and conflates that as a reason to doubt his claims of creating a VR headset, its bullshit

It says more than that, it is a AAA takedown:

Luckey lacked the training, expertise, resources, or know-how to create commercially viable VR technology, his computer programming skills were rudimentary, and he relied on ZeniMax's computer program code and games to demonstrate the prototype Rift. Nevertheless, this fraudulent tale was frequently reported in the media as fact. Luckey increasingly and falsely held himself out to the media and the public as the visionary developer of the Rift’s VR Technology, which had actually been developed by ZeniMax without any substantial contribution from Luckey.

YuShtink

Zenimax really reaching desperately here. Luckey's early development is well archived on MTBS3D.com and he obviously knew what he was doing.

Well we know from how they treated Arkane and Human Head what kind of business they are.

I'm somewhat suspicious whether what they're saying has merit.

Yes, this alone is why I would never be inclined to believe Bethesda. They have a proven track record of being shady. This is still just Bethesda being butthurt over Carmack's departure.

I'm a Lite excited and angry right now, so i step in here.

This is Palmers Thread about the PR1 (actually a monoscopic hmd)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=11970

Ido got it confused/typo, it must have been 2009/2010, not 2005.

I was an active member back then as well and witnessed everything that happened and lead to the later Oculus Rift. And that wasnt Zenimax for sure.

Excellent, thanks for sharing this. Yeah this doesn't make sense to me, and you'd think Zeni's lawyer's wouldn't be this sloppy. So either they know something we don't and somehow Palmer had backdoor on the sly pm dealings with Carmack and then they totally started talking publicly like it was an initial...yeah I can't even finish that's too absurd to take seriously. I call bull until something more compelling comes out.

Hale-XF11

Palmer himself has always stated that he's a hardware tinkerer of sorts and not a software programmer by any means, so I'm not really sure what zenimax is getting at.

Zenimax really reaching desperately here. Luckey's early development is well archived on MTBS3D.com and he obviously knew what he was doing.

Yeah, that too. This comes well before Carmack ever entered the picture.

QaaQer

Palmer himself has always stated that he's a hardware tinkerer of sorts and not a software programmer by any means, so I'm not really sure what zenimax is getting at.

That Luckey did not have the training or talent to bring vr to market, yet Occulus CEO propagated lies about Luckey being VR Jesus, or something like that.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Alan Yates of valve pretty much said that the cv1 is tech mostly derived from Valve. Just more fuel for the flames.

Alan Yates said:
While that is generally true in this case every core feature of both the Rift and Vive HMDs are directly derived from Valve’s research program. Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and frensel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the “Valve Room” at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it…

Paganmoon

In the case of Luckey, there's a fairly public trail in regards to his ability to build headsets. there's no in between here. Zenimax is overstating the software component of modern VR so they can get more money if they win. However, optics, head tracking via HW, and comfort ( material choice ) are far more important to contemporary VR. those are things in which Palmer Luckey does know, and Carmack isn't as great at.

Aren't those the things that Oculus got off of Valve before the Facebook buyout? :)

Edit: I should add allegedly. Something about Valve setting up a SteamVR room for Oculus, and then after the facebook buyout all contact stopped.

vermadas

Here is the "famous" MTBS thread.

From a Wired article in 2014: The Inside Story of Oculus Rift and How Virtual Reality Became Reality
Carmack got to work on the machine, hot-gluing a motion sensor to it and duct-taping on a ski-goggle strap. But his greatest contribution came in the code he wrote for it. The Rift’s biggest selling point was its 90-degree field of view, which Luckey accomplished by slapping a cheap magnifying lens on the display. The problem was, that lens distorted the image underneath, making it warped and uneven. So Carmack coded a version of Doom 3 that pre-­distorted the image, counteracting the effects of the magnifying lens and making the picture appear correct to the viewer. The result was a completely immersive gaming experience, the kind that would other­wise require $10,000 in high-end optics.

So basically this from Zenimax:
Oculus, at Iribe’s direction, disseminated to the press the false and fanciful story that Luckey was the brilliant inventor of VR technology who had developed that technology in his parents’ garage... ...In fact, that story was utterly and completely false... ...Nevertheless, this fraudulent tale was frequently reported in the media as fact. Luckey increasingly and falsely held himself out to the media and the public as the visionary developer of the Rift’s VR Technology, which had actually been developed by ZeniMax without any substantial contribution from Luckey.
Is quite clearly bullshit.

This is the part that could potentially have merit:
...he relied on ZeniMax's computer program code and games to demonstrate the prototype Rift...
If Carmack was responsible for the coding the image distortion filter, then it's possible that Zenimax "owns" that code in the legal sense. And Carmack used Doom 3 source to demo the headset.

Riptwo

Alan Yates of valve pretty much said that the cv1 is tech mostly derived from Valve. Just more fuel for the flames.

If I recall, Valve at the time weren't planning on releasing any sort of headset, and because of that, most of their VR team jumped ship to Oculus anyway to work on CV1. Was Valve actively experimenting with VR prior to DK1?

majik13

Y5bU1HK.jpg

Is Gavin Belson the CEO of ZeniMax now?

WAZaO48.jpg

The real inventor of Oculus

My thoughts exactly.

ido

Yeah, posted in the other Zenimax thread.

I paid Palmer to make me an high-res HMD back in 2009/2010, and it ended up being his first prototype. This was a long time before Carmack joined the forum. After he built the PR1(Prototype 1), he made quite a few more named prototypes before Carmack joined the forums and asked to borrow one. Each one increasingly more Rift-like.

He really was doing this stuff before any Zenimax/Carmack intervention.

SinSilla was a part of the community too. He built a badass VFX1 mod that I really, really wanted to buy at the same time I bought Palmer's PR1. This was the days where everything on the market was shit, and we clung to the ideas of people in the tiny community to make something better. Palmer didn't do it alone, obviously. He was a member of the community and got ideas and help from everyone, but he was the one who kept driving forward. Originally all he ever intended was a kit for anyone in the community, and we were thrilled to even get that.

Zenimax is a known predatory company, and they are probably not happy about how their relationship with Carmack ended. In the grand scheme of things you can't really point at any one person as the originator of VR when all the current players were dabbling more or less independently before the original showing of the Carmack/Palmer prototype. This is just the regular corporate lawsuit bullshit. I doubt it will have big consequences in the end.

I'd like to quote Gaf user ido from the other thread that claims having an early prototype Palmer sent him years before Carmack posted on mtbs3d forums (where they initially made contact):

If he/she sees this it would be cool to see a pic of the device, and maybe a thread in question from the site where it was being discussed. I know I've seen screencaps of Palmer first discussing the initial prototype but can't find anything now.

Palmer would have been 12 years old in 2005.

Probably there is SOME level of truth in the complaint, but it's just as assuredly exaggerated to the limit of credulity.

Guess we'll see if/when it gets settled, or eventually goes to trial.

"...without any substantial contribution from Luckey." Idk, it sounds like they are questioning any role LP had.

Considering they are saying Rift VR was developed substantially at Zenimax, you'd have to buy that Zenimax was somehow working on HW and chose not to release anything because reasons.

that is the whole statement relies on the reader disregarding that Rift is a headset.

I see some confused people on the first page. They are considering everything John Carmmack ever did, coded, designed, thought or dreamed as part of the Zenimax intellectual property. His farts? Also theirs.

From what I know, he coded again his code from zero once he got out from id, but of course Zenimax will say that's also their property as he truly had the ideas in his mind from his time in id.

Of course, it's all his fault, he was the one who sold out to a mega corp for millions. Hell, it's even known their are litigation-friendly.

RibMan

Luckey lacked the training, expertise, resources, or know-how to create commercially viable VR technology, his computer programming skills were rudimentary, and he relied on ZeniMax's computer program code and games to demonstrate the prototype Rift. Nevertheless, this fraudulent tale was frequently reported in the media as fact. Luckey increasingly and falsely held himself out to the media and the public as the visionary developer of the Rift’s VR Technology, which had actually been developed by ZeniMax without any substantial contribution from Luckey.

If true then wow.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
If I recall, Valve at the time weren't planning on releasing any sort of headset, and because of that, most of their VR team jumped ship to Oculus anyway to work on CV1. Was Valve actively experimenting with VR prior to DK1?

Here is a decent write up about it. They were openly sharing information because Valve was supporting them before the Facebook buyout. I'm not implying Oculus did anything wrong, just saying Palmer has had software and hardware support from Valve and Zenimax if they are to be believed.

http://www.roadtovr.com/alan-yates-rift-is-direct-copy-of-valves-vr-research/

Harlequin

Whether it's true or not, this sort of accusation coming from ZeniMax is just amazingly ironic. Talk about the pot calling the kettle.

Seems as they're talking about the VR technology as in getting it to work with a game and programming. I'm sure its well understood Palmer built several units.

The big issue is Carmack did all this work while under Zenimax.

CHC

Crazy that VR has inherited virtually all of the ugliest aspects of the games industry before it has really even gotten off the ground.

Yeah, posted in the other Zenimax thread.

I paid Palmer to make me an high-res HMD back in 2009/2010, and it ended up being his first prototype. This was a long time before Carmack joined the forum. After he built the PR1(Prototype 1), he made quite a few more named prototypes before Carmack joined the forums and asked to borrow one. Each one increasingly more Rift-like.

He really was doing this stuff before any Zenimax/Carmack intervention.

SinSilla was a part of the community too. He built a badass VFX1 mod that I really, really wanted to buy at the same time I bought Palmer's PR1. This was the days where everything on the market was shit, and we clung to the ideas of people in the tiny community to make something better. Palmer didn't do it alone, obviously. He was a member of the community and got ideas and help from everyone, but he was the one who kept driving forward. Originally all he ever intended was a kit for anyone in the community, and we were thrilled to even get that.

He's absolutely the wide fov HMD guy, but were any of these HMDS actually VR specific? Cus I remember reading those forums pre kickstarter where they were talking about leaving space for plugging in an orientation sensor and such.

Onemic

Honestly, with how Oculus and Luckey have been acting as of late, I wouldnt be surprised if the allegations are 100% true.

Ominym

Banned
From my interpretation I don't think the Palmer Luckey bits are about his software development credentials per-se, but instead I would assume a branching point with which to make the case that there is nothing software-wise Palmer could've done, or had for others to build off of when Carmack joined. Thus because of this a majority, if not the entirety of Oculus' software platform is stolen rather than something modified, changed, or built upon.

Think of this like music copyrights where it's possible that two groups can create similar sounding songs but have never heard one another. The intent to directly have copied has to be proven and this might be ZeniMax's attempt to do so by stating that there's no way Oculus could've built something without what was stolen or borrowed.

For what it's worth Carmack also joined later on which grants greater credence to this being a non-issue. But him joining before launch might make the case that it couldn't have launched without Carmack's files.

Top Bottom