• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I loved 999 and only sorta liked VLR. Am I the only person who feels that way? I dont know VLR I just gave up after a couple endings I wasnt nearly as hooked. Maybe the first game was more horror like (well at least to me for most part before true ending) the music was sort of haunting as well. I always played it late at night. I LOVED 999 music. The second one I didnt feel that dread. I dont know maybe im crazy.

I would like another game though. Id buy it.

Not in a million years. Many people favor 999 over VLR and for good reasons: the character/atmosphere in 999 is, to me, vastly superior than VLR--the game felt more direct, more personal, more emotionally involving, more immediate.

The only thing that I think everybody can agree VLR has over 999 is its vastly improved gameplay mechanics in that you don't need to redo puzzles over and over and over again, but that's it.

I'd say I'd preorder it if they announced it but they kind of screwed customers over by never fixing that bug or even admitting that it existed.

bronk

Banned
Not in a million years. Many people favor 999 over VLR and for good reasons: the character/atmosphere in 999 is, to me, vastly superior than VLR--the game felt more direct, more personal, more emotionally involving, more immediate.

The only thing that I think everybody can agree VLR has over 999 is its vastly improved gameplay mechanics in that you don't need to redo puzzles over and over and over again, but that's it.

Yea atmosphere is the perfect word. I felt like I was a part of 999's world everytime I played. I never felt that on VLR. I definitely agree on gameplay mechanics being better on VLR. Ok im not crazy :)

Lusankya

I loved 999 and only sorta liked VLR. Am I the only person who feels that way? I dont know VLR I just gave up after a couple endings I wasnt nearly as hooked.

Wait, you didn't complete VLR? You totally should, because there really is only one ending. If you haven't got the true ending you're basically just in the middle of the story.

The consensus is definitely on the side of preferring 999, one of the reasons being your concern about tone. Though I don't think many others actually quit the game haha
I don't think that's the consensus, at least not "definitely".
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/67787508
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/66069067
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641334-zero-escape-virtues-last-reward/65359149

Many great games would be very happy to get a sequel with the quality of VLR. It's probably the cliffhanger that drags it down a little bit as a stand alone experience and makes some fans very vocal about the seemingly superiority of the first game.

I guess the only option is to import this en masse.

You know what you must do.
I hope it's for a Playstation system, then I can just download it via the PSN.

after just completing Trigger Happy Havoc, VLR and 999 still come out way ahead in this genre. The world is just a lot more interesting for the pair than whatever Danganronpa was driving at (which felt pretty inconsequential)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yea atmosphere is the perfect word. I felt like I was a part of 999's world everytime I played. I never felt that on VLR. I definitely agree on gameplay mechanics being better on VLR. Ok im not crazy :)

Wait, you didn't complete VLR? You totally should, because there really is only one ending. If you haven't got the true ending you're basically just in the middle of the story. .

Wait I missed this. BigSkeet dude, finish VLR and get the True End stat. The emotional impact of the True End in VLR is like, magnified tenfold if you have played and finished 999 firsthand, so you should get down to it!

after just completing Trigger Happy Havoc, VLR and 999 still come out way ahead in this genre. The world is just a lot more interesting for the pair than whatever Danganronpa was driving at (which felt pretty inconsequential)

True, although Danganronpa's music in general just obliterate VLR in my mind, hahaha. So many catchy music in Danganronpa.

Lusankya

But how will you buy multiple copies that way???
Using different accounts. ;)
Well, I first need to see how the game turns out to be. I am a blind buyer if I really love the previous games (in the series or of the creator), but I am not a blind buyer of several copies.

It's kind of an unfair comparision, because Zero Escape tells you a more serious story and is more emotional. The feelings I've got during the last puzzle in 999
the best sudoku puzzle in my life paired with the stellar music
or how I couldn't stop crying during
Luna's_____
end in VLR, is something only very few stories in games/movies/books can do to me.
Danganronpa is more the funny/crazy/over the top story, so it's not touching me in such an emotional way. But I still had a load of fun finishing and replaying the game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I liked VLR way more than 999. I agree that 999 had better atmosphere but that's about it. The gameplay was so much better in VLR it's not even funny. The gameplay in 999 was actually really disappointing imo. The puzzles might as well have not been there. There were dumbed down from what I expect from this kind of game. Plus not having to replay stages you've already beaten to progress automatically makes it better. I also feel like the various endings in VLR felt more natural. When I got to the end of a timeline in VLR I believed what just happened. 999 felt more... false. If that makes sense. Like they were contrived just to be really bad endings in a game. VLR genuinely felt like alternate timelines without a bad ending feeling like it's a really bad ending just for the sake of being a shocking bad ending in a game. I also think I liked the characters in VLR more overall. Plus it lasted way longer.

LAA

Hmm, I really just love them both for "dem chills", they both have that music that sends chills to my spine as soon as I hear it. I think VLR maybe tops it out a little though.. Not even including the flowchart feature (Which was by far the best addition), but I think Sigma really added more character and soul to the game, compared to generic-ish Junpei in 999.

That said, one thing I did like more about 999 was concepts were explained more, and there was a lot. In VLR, I didn't quite get as much concepts it seemed and the ones I did Sigma interupted me (Which actually annoyed me, ha ha, I was like NO! Let them explain!), or they weren't explained enough or given an example to think about it. One such example I can think of is this boat where it was repaired and you were asked was it still technicually the same boat, and it actually evolved that even further to a sock, and then an actual human, just enabled deep thought more in 999 I think, would like to see more of that in ZE3.

grim-tales

Hmmm.
If this is Uchikoshi's new project, I wish him good luck. The "science fiction" part made me think Zero Escape, but "sexual comedy"? Errr....
I'm hoping if this is successful, something could happen with ZE3.

Korigama

I liked VLR way more than 999. I agree that 999 had better atmosphere but that's about it. The gameplay was so much better in VLR it's not even funny. The gameplay in 999 was actually really disappointing imo. The puzzles might as well have not been there. There were dumbed down from what I expect from this kind of game. Plus not having to replay stages you've already beaten to progress automatically makes it better. I also feel like the various endings in VLR felt more natural. When I got to the end of a timeline in VLR I believed what just happened. 999 felt more... false. If that makes sense. Like they were contrived just to be really bad endings in a game. VLR genuinely felt like alternate timelines without a bad ending feeling like it's a really bad ending just for the sake of being a shocking bad ending in a game. I also think I liked the characters in VLR more overall. Plus it lasted way longer.
It makes no sense, in fact. What you're saying is that you simply prefer the lighter and softer tone of VLR, rather than that being an indictment of 999 having an actual sense of horror and dread to its proceedings. Just because you find VLR more palatable in its far tamer depictions doesn't make 999 "false" in its own representation, especially when the point of multiple endings representing alternate realities applies to both.
Damn bump... I thought there were some news....
Yeah, really sorry about that. I just saw that one comment, and it bugged me too much to ignore it.

redhood56

Banned
Damn bump... I thought there were some news....
Same here it still hurts. I still check the operation bluebird facebook page and uchikoshi's English twitter once a day.

EDIT: About Operation Bluebird they are making a scrapbook with all the pics they were sent to aksys games and uchikoshi(which assuming he will show to the higher ups). I doubt it will get ze3 made but hopefully it could get it greenlit slightly faster.

VLR spoiled the shit out of me, everytime i play a game in this genre now i want VLR's "Map" showing you all the paths. You dont need a walkthrough or anything for that game unless you get stuck on a puzzle.

wrowa

Still nothing?

I don't want to finish VLR without the hope of a trilogy ending : P

If there was something new people who have posted it already, you know. Even though, VLR is still a cool game even if it's unclear if the trilogy will ever get the solution it deserves. It does suffer a little from middle-of-the-trilogy syndrome, though...

MLH

no news bump :(

they need to give crowd funding a go. I know why they don't want to do it, but they'll never know if they don't try...
Either that or a fan wins the lottery and funds the game...
GAF if any of you get rich don't forget this thread.

bobawesome

Still nothing?

I don't want to finish VLR without the hope of a trilogy ending : P

open-fridge.gif

Jintor

why would you bump this if you didn't have news like "I'm an angel investor and I would like to fund this game, who do I send an email to"

Since there's no news unfortunately, let me tell you about a movie I saw the other day called "The Philosophers" which reminded me of Virtue's Last Reward for a few reasons. I'd recommend watching it if you have the chance. It's not really similar to the story of VLR, however some themes are comparable as well as the visuals and music. Oh well, just saying.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It makes no sense, in fact. What you're saying is that you simply prefer the lighter and softer tone of VLR, rather than that being an indictment of 999 having an actual sense of horror and dread to its proceedings. Just because you find VLR more palatable in its far tamer depictions doesn't make 999 "false" in its own representation, especially when the point of multiple endings representing alternate realities applies to both.

Yeah, really sorry about that. I just saw that one comment, and it bugged me too much to ignore it.

I disagree, it's not the tone in itself, the bad ending in 999 are overdoing it. They are dark and brutal, yes, but they they don't seem consistent with the rest of the game (to me, at least). The bad ending in VLR are all well-written, fit the characters and seem consistent with the rest of the game, in 999 the bad endings are almost comical imo.

I disagree, it's not the tone in itself, the bad ending in 999 are overdoing it. They are dark and brutal, yes, but they they don't seem consistent with the rest of the game (to me, at least). The bad ending in VLR are all well-written, fit the characters and seem consistent with the rest of the game, in 999 the bad endings are almost comical imo.

The
submarine
ending in 999 was the first I encountered I virtually broke down. That was some of the most unexpected shocking shit I've ever seen.

The bad endings in 999 were just boring and not worth seeing. If anything they were too tame to even be shocking. At least in VLR there were some character moments worth viewing in the bad endings.

The
submarine
ending in 999 was the first I encountered I virtually broke down. That was some of the most unexpected shocking shit I've ever seen.

Hahaha, I went in 999 not knowing anything about the game/story. I got the
knife ending
which wasn't as dramatic, however it was a definite ......what just happened... moment. It totally threw me off guard and it was amazing. I fell in love with the game. I can't compare the endings to VLR because the delivery was different.
VLR gives you the timeline and possible branches early on, losing some of the mystery.
VLR had way more depth, but it's not as shocking.

JediLink

The bad endings in 999 were just boring and not worth seeing. If anything they were too tame to even be shocking. At least in VLR there were some character moments worth viewing in the bad endings.
Hell naw man. I got the
Axe
ending first and goddamn, it shook me.

neshcom

Banned
no news bump :(

they need to give crowd funding a go. I know why they don't want to do it, but they'll never know if they don't try...
Either that or a fan wins the lottery and funds the game...
GAF if any of you get rich don't forget this thread.
Because the ZE games are still pretty unknown. If they do a Kickstarter, they'd have to first have teams available for x number of ports, a script would need to exist if it doesn't already, and if it fails, you would never see the game get made ever. Failure would be the lasting nail in the coffin and, hopefully, Chun is avoiding that inevitability.

And fuck this thread getting bumped again :mad:

After seeing two people getting exploded into a pulp, and another guy getting stabbed in a room somewhere (Coffin was my first ending), it didn't seem like a major stretch to me for the characters to start being killed off for mysterious reasons, especially before the truth of the plot came to light.
VLR endings definitely had more plot development, but the 999 Wrong Ends fit the mood I felt in the game very nicely. 999 was always a game that had both light/fuzzy/comedy moments alongside despair/gloomy/scary moments.

UberTag

At this point, I'll just assume that the trip back to the past failed and humanity got wiped out.
Junpei & Akane will never get together. Worst ending confirmed.
If the author won't end things properly, I'll just assume the worst.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a graphic novel, or something to wrap things up if funding can't be met. Would love to see
Snake
return as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom