• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

sörine;100642481 said:
They should quick port 999 to 3DS and Vita too to raise capital. I thought VLR did well on both in the west?

They could easily port it to the 3DS, but for it to work with the Vita, they'd have to change something with how the game plays, as 999 relies on the two screens. The iOS port works since they got rid of the puzzles all together, as it's now strictly a Visual Novel.

Something like playing the game while holding the Vita vertically?

wrowa

I think by "not persuasive enough," he doesn't mean that they can't convince anyone to give money. He says the game is really expensive to make earlier on, so I think he means they can't convince enough people to give enough money.

This is probably not a $300,000 or $900,000 project. This is probably over two million and very few kickstarters get there.

It doesn't even necessarily need to be that. If you cut fluff like voice acting and scale down the presentation, I'm sure that it's possible to make a third game with a resonably low budget. Visual Novels are normally made with a paper-think budget and I doubt that ZE would impossible to realize for a million. However, if they kickstart it, they need to work together with Aksys. After all, they need to provide an English version as a reward, since hardy anyone would back without the prospect of getting the game in a language he or she understands. That alone would raise the costs by quite a bit.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if this is first and foremost an opportunity cost thing. It's not like the team can't find new work, it's that the managers want them to pursue something different. This is not necessarily something a kickstarter would be able to change.

I wouldn't even sell my copy of the game on the Internet to prevent cheap-asses to get it. I always say to them that they should buy the game. Sad the game will now end in a cliffhanger just like some game based in Hong Kong (You know what).

I think the best way to handle it is a combination of a kickstarter for partial funding (let's say $100k) to show intent and for Aksys to invest in development of the game for a better publishing deal. Though this assumes Aksys has that kind of money and I am not sure they do.

Niche western pubs can fund localizations (change text/files/etc), not straight up game development, as mentioned above.

Aksys are actually already involved in original game development - they're co-producing a Japanese action RPG called Magus which is out for the PS3 later this month.

Fey

Banned
Nngnnnggnn I was hoping an announcement for ZE3 would happen at some point in 2014 :(

VLR is literally just a set up for a 3rd game this makes me so sad aaaaaaarg

tumblr_mziv9tinC81siq7bdo1_250.gif

Chunsoft has chosen to BETRAY.

RyoonZ

Banned
Well at least he says he'll do his best to make it happen.
Unlike Suikoden VI, Wild Arms VI or Breath of Fire VI... oh wait never mind the last one.

jkanownik

If I was them I would switch it to a digital only episodic format. The risk profile and P&L would be much more appealing to management. I'm assuming the creative challenge created by that model isn't too difficult to overcome.

I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of the games myself. Would they work with a controller? That would make console XBL/PSN version possible.

Burnburn

I don't know how stuff like this usually goes, but I would figure SpikeChunsoft won't be happy with this btw. I also think this is some sort of last attempt to show to Spike that there is a very dedicated following to the game.

Edit: If you message him on facebook, does it appear on your wall? I kind off don't want my love of this man to be shown to all my friends :x

Marcus

this is quite possibly the worse gaming news ive heard in a few years.

if this game never gets released, i will commit sudoku

Thores

Nooooooooo!

I really, REALLY hope he reconsiders a Kickstarter. I would back that so quickly, heads would spin in the past and the future simultaneously.

wrowa

If I was them I would switch it to a digital only episodic format. The risk profile and P&L would be much more appealing to management. I'm assuming the creative challenge created by that model isn't too difficult to overcome.

I'm not familiar with the exact mechanics of the games myself. Would they work with a controller? That would make console XBL/PSN version possible.

An episodic format wouldn't fit the structure of the series at all. The huge draw is the completely non-linear progression of the story and that wouldn't work if they had to force the game to fit in an episodic format.

Ninjimbo

Yeah, it's unfortunate that one of the only games with a good story is pretty much ignored by the everyone. The curse of being on handhelds strikes again.

Meanwhile, clichéd dreck like Walking Dead and Last of Us get called the Citizen Kanes of video games. What a farce.

Volcynika

Aksys are actually already involved in original game development - they're co-producing a Japanese action RPG called Magus which is out for the PS3 later this month.

Yeah I know, but I'm betting they probably don't have the ability to just drop money like that without lots of planning/budgeting/etc.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy, these are really sad news.

I wonder how much money they would actually need for this to get funded by kickstarter, especially since they could place money heavy tasks like voice acting as stretch goals.

Jisgsaw

Given the """end""" of ZE2, I thought they already planned and funded the sequel, you can't just not finish this thing :-(

I say we push this guy for a Kickstarter anyway. I have pretty high expectations of this being a pretty successful project even with just Western support.

Would they be able to do a kickstarter and if that KS goal was met show it to potential investors/publishers to show interest?

Then everyone would complain about how it was a scam because they weren't kickstarting the game just some sort of interest campaign. People don't read that shit.

It's time for devs to stop making huge cliffhangers if they aren't 100% sure they can make a sequel, this is too much for my heart.

God....DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Of all the things to not be funded. Of all the niche titles to not be supported even in its HOME GODDAMN COUNTRY.

I had no sads today.

I have now found all the sads.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that one of the only games with a good story is pretty much ignored by the everyone. The curse of being on handhelds strikes again.

Meanwhile, clichéd dreck like Walking Dead and Last of Us get called the Citizen Kanes of video games. What a farce.

oh dear

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
:mad:
The ending of VLR was beyond bad though.
I guess that in the meantime i have to "content" myself with Daganronpa games :D

Kaswa101

:( let's kicstart this thing.sony would be wise to get an exclusive on this one

I loved VLR, but it actually wouldn't be that wise for Sony to fund this. Both games sold terribly, and if the sequel is Vita exclusive, it would sell even worse. Not exactly a smart move for Sony, especially since people are waiting on AAA Vita exclusives, not more Japanese games.

That being said, I hope they find a way to fund this. It's a good series that deserves a solid conclusion for the sake of its fans.

People keep saying it sold terribly.

Anyone have any rough numbers from territories and (for the the sequel) platforms?

Edit: ^^^ Jesus christ that picture has been through hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom