• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

This is from Road's website, it uses Famitsu numbers.

NDS Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors {2009-12-10} - 16.967 / 39.653

3DS Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 7.890 / 17.913
PSV Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 6.133 / 15.454

;-;

Frolow

Banned
Just like VLR worked on the Vita? Or how both would work with a mouse cursor instead of the touch screen.

VLR would work just fine on pretty much any platform. 999 on the other hand, [MAJOR SPOILERS]
the big "twist" in the game was that the second screen was June's perspective from the past.
I really can't see how they could manage to replicate that on other platforms.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that one of the only games with a good story is pretty much ignored by the everyone. The curse of being on handhelds strikes again.

Meanwhile, clichéd dreck like Walking Dead and Last of Us get called the Citizen Kanes of video games. What a farce.

I like this post.

jay

He was running out of convoluted nonsense anyway. I guess there weren't martians or dinosaurs yet, or a disease that turns martians into time traveling dinosaurs.

-Horizon-

VLR would work just fine on pretty much any platform. 999 on the other hand, [MAJOR SPOILERS]
the big "twist" in the game was that the second screen was June's perspective from the past.
I really can't see how they could manage to replicate that on other platforms.
This was pretty much the reason why I prefer 999 to VLR. I just loved how they did this.

Roubjon

I understand the difficulties and stuff, but goddamn. Not getting the finale of a trilogy that revolves around crazy story reveals and giant mysteries is kind of a bummer. Maybe he'll release a PDF of his journal where he writes down ideas or something and we can just sift through that.

Taruranto

NDS Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors {2009-12-10} - 16.967 / 39.653

Looks like 999 didn't exactly hit the jackpot either. :/ tbh writing a trilogy with these numbers wasn't exactly a good idea, probably.

73V3N

Banned
Yeah, it's unfortunate that one of the only games with a good story is pretty much ignored by the everyone. The curse of being on handhelds strikes again.

Meanwhile, clichéd dreck like Walking Dead and Last of Us get called the Citizen Kanes of video games. What a farce.

so true :(

I was recently thinking about finishing VLR because I thought the 3rd game was coming out soon...

I keep forgetting how different GAF's taste is from normal people, I thought these games were mildly popular.

Kolma

For those that did not 100% 999 and did not read all the interviews/QA's from the director.
999 would absolutely not work on anything that is not a DS.
The 2 screen aspect is VERY IMPORTANT at a hidden secret of the entire game.
It just wouldn't work to it's full intent otherwise

The secret it...
The bottom screen is 100% Akane's point of view (from the past)while the top screen is Junpei's point of view as Akane saw it (in the present). This is why character dialogue is on the top screen (as Junpei see it) and naration is on the bottom screen (as Akane sees it) This is also why the DS gets flipped upside down in the final part of the game as now Junpei is doing the puzzle on the top screen to get Akane the answers in the past on the bottom screen.

FluxWaveZ

Haha...

Shit.

PK Gaming

I took me a while, but I think I found a picture that accurately represents the soul crushing disappointment i'm feeling right now.

UjWcNWr.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
This needs to happen. Like, really, really, really needs to happen. I do not have a gif that would properly express how I would feel if it doesn't happen.

The cliffhanger in ZE2 is one of the biggest cliffhangers in anything I have ever experienced and it made me feel like ZE3 could be the best Ace Attorney/ZE/DR/etc.-style game of all-time.

This just.....needs to happen. I need to see the story over. I would pay hundreds, possibly thousands if the Kickstarter needs it and I have the funds, to see this happen. Anything. I just need this.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
One part of the statement I don't understand is it sounds like the game did well enough internationally but not well enough in Japan to warrant a sequel.

Am I misunderstanding something? Is international success not enough if the game is profitable?

-Horizon-

I understand the difficulties and stuff, but goddamn. Not getting the finale of a trilogy that revolves around crazy story reveals and giant mysteries is kind of a bummer. Maybe he'll release a PDF of his journal where he writes down ideas or something and we can just sift through that.
every one was already dead lol

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Looks like 999 didn't exactly hit the jackpot either. :/ tbh writing a trilogy with these numbers wasn't exactly a good idea, probably.

I wonder how VLR did in Europe considering 999 never got a release here. Sure you could import it since the DS was region free, but that was not ideal for a lot of people ( especially Vita owners who wanted VLR on vita and didn't have a DS to play the first one or a 3DS, i'm sure they exist )

Gestahl

He was running out of convoluted nonsense anyway. I guess there weren't martians or dinosaurs yet, or a disease that turns martians into time traveling dinosaurs.

The Martian Time Traveling Dinosaurs were also part of the
crazy lady's 50+ year long con of fucking everyone over because she sees shit in her head. How anyone could possibly like Akane is beyond me, even Junpei was sick of her shit

Nishastra

Banned
The problem with this series is that it's primarily mindblowing to western audiences because they have no experience with these kinds of games and 999 somehow got a hold on the internet.

Some of the concepts people liked so much in 999 are actually fairly common in VNs over the last decade or so. Particulaly when dealing with Uchikoshi's past works, he reuses a loooooot of stuff. If you play Ever17 before 999/VLR, you'll be able to predict quite a few of the twists.

Not to imply that they're bad games, just it's understandable why they didn't have much of an impact in Japan where these kinds of games are so much more common.

Except you are. Even with those franchises it's not 100% certain that the next game they release won't bomb in comparison to previous titles and the publisher won't subsequently tell them to make something else.

If giving some small sense of closure is going to hurt the story of either that particular title or the entire series then I would rather they avoid doing so and go with the assumption that a sequel is possible.

Can you think of any example of a proven franchise completely nosediving after 1 sequel and never returning? Yeah me neither, once you start selling upwards of 5 million your brand name alone can keep you afloat for a possible revival barring some unforseen act of god.

Too Human is what happens when you assume and fail, Mass Effect is how you do cliffhangers right while keeping mind this might be the only one you get to make.

hohoXD123

For those that did not 100% 999 and did not read all the interviews/QA's from the director.

The secret it...
The bottom screen is 100% Akane's point of view (from the past)while the top screen is Junpei's point of view as Akane saw it (in the present). This is why character dialogue is on the top screen (as Junpei see it) and naration is on the bottom screen (as Akane sees it) This is also why the DS gets flipped upside down in the final part of the game as now Junpei is doing the puzzle on the top screen to get Akane the answers in the past on the bottom screen.

Can't you just split the screen in two? It'll probably end up being too small on the Vita screen, but it should be fine on PC monitors no?

Phii

Banned

The secret it...

But 999 is perfectly fine even on one screen...
2DS

We need to persuade Uchikoshi and company that Kickstarter is a viable method. For a series that thrives especially in the states, it's a good medium.

I would pledge at least 100, and probably more.

Upsetting news hearing how upsetting this is to him, but I think we can convey a message that we would like to help to the best of our abilities as well :)

Last of Us had a better story than VLR, and it didn't force you to rewind each battle and kill the zombies with every possible weapon combination to unlock the true ending.

VLR is pretty good, though.

Kolma

Can't you just split the screen in two? It'll probably end up being too small on the Vita screen, but it should be fine on PC monitors no?
It could be done... It would just lose it's effect of physically flipping your device around.
When you actually play through 999 completely and did are told this realization... it just clicks
But 999 is perfectly fine even on one screen...
2DS

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Although we also examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter, we figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough...

I wish he'd elaborate on this point. Considering that the games sell better in the west, I'd argue that Kickstarter is the best option for them.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100650851]Last of Us had a better story than VLR, and it didn't force you to rewind each battle and kill the zombies with every possible weapon combination to unlock the true ending.

VLR is pretty good, though.[/QUOTE]

Eeeh. The last of us story was just some B movie quality story about zombies and stuff.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";100650851]Last of Us had a better story than VLR, and it didn't force you to rewind each battle and kill the zombies with every possible weapon combination to unlock the true ending.

VLR is pretty good, though.[/QUOTE]

I would say both had an okay story that is massively overrated by this forum.

Neither story is "good". It's good for video games I guess, but they're both easily in the realm of made for syfy channel movie.

I think 999 and VLR is a lot more fun to follow though simply because of how silly it gets at points.

Shiina

The problem with this series is that it's primarily mindblowing to western audiences because they have no experience with these kinds of games and 999 somehow got a hold on the internet.

Some of the concepts people liked so much in 999 are actually fairly common in VNs over the last decade or so. Particulaly when dealing with Uchikoshi's past works, he reuses a loooooot of stuff. If you play Ever17 before 999/VLR, you'll be able to predict quite a few of the twists.

Not to imply that they're bad games, just it's understandable why they didn't have much of an impact in Japan where these kinds of games are so much more common.

I agree. People hail the ZE games as magical and revolutionary story telling experiences because they're not used to visual novels and their narratives and stories. Most conventional video games just fall flat on the story part because they have to focus on other things.
The puzzles are a fun part of the games but people should maybe try out a couple other VNs, chances are they'll like them even more than the Zero Escape series.

AwShucks

I hesitate to back any kickstarter but I would back this in a heartbeat. This is seriously disappointing news. Even without being announced, the next Zero Escape was one of my most anticipated games. 999 and VLR are both amazing and I really wanted to see the third (and what I assumed would be final) come out. I had guessed it was already green lit, but I guessed completely wrong apparently.

Seriously, Kickstarter for this now please (yes I know what he said in the tweets).

The only joke here is the post I've quoted.
Which I hope was your intention!

Nah, I agree with him. I don't understand the absolute love for The Last of Us. It has some good gameplay, but almost nothing about the story is original. It's a typical zombie survival story.

This is the worst news ever

i dont even know where to start ranting

i wanted this game
i wanted this game dammit
screw you japan for not buying it.

kick start this...even if the kickstart fails at least yiu'll have tried

73V3N

Banned
Eeeh. The last of us story was just some B movie quality story about zombies and stuff.

I wouldn't pay much attention to his posts about 999/VLR

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";47781238]So if the whole first playthrough was garbage and I enjoyed almost nothing, I'm expected to replay the game several times to understand why it doesn't suck?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";47781349]Yeah, but if that's the case then why is a story-only game nothing but shitty stereotypes?

A MASKED MAN KIDNAPPED YOU SO SOLVE THIS PUZZLE WITH YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND THAT SECRETLY LOVES YOU[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";47781464]I just restarted the game with my memories, guess I'll be back in an hour or so to talk more shit about this bad game that I spent twenty bucks on.[/QUOTE]

oh well

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Both the screen and the resolution are more than fine:
999-DS.bmp

compare it to a vita screen:
lVFoF.jpg

It can easily fit the Vita's screen without problems either horizontally or vertically, add that Vita has all the features of a DS and more...
Not that 999 has a single chance of being on Vita...

King_Moc

Banned
Kickstarter it now. I'll be happy to pay twice the standard retail price for another one of these. It's a great series and we don't get enough games like it.

The only joke here is the post I've quoted.
Which I hope was your intention!

The actual story isn't that special, what really made it special was the insane presentation, the voice acting, the animation, the blend between cinematics and gameplay, Last of Us is truly the current apex of these "cinematic games".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom