• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really sad to know the end of the trilogy may not be realized. The Zero Escape series has without a doubt one of the best stories in the industry and should have gotten a lot more attention than it did.

I'm surprised that they don't find it persuasive enough to get the money they need from Kickstarter. They never struck me as having that big of a budget though they did hire some well known VAs in VLR.

If anything I hope that if it isn't made within the next 10 years Uchikoshi makes a "choose your own adventure" book to unofficially finish off the series.

Elija2

This really sucks. I really do hope the game comes out someday. Preferably sometime this gen.

Why don't they release 999 and VLR on PC? I'm sure there are many people who are interested in the games but can't play them since they don't own a DS/3DS/Vita. It's much easier for PC games to spread through word-of-mouth and it could end up selling better than the other versions.
Yeah, I know about the whole dual screen thing in 999 but I'm sure they can figure out a way around it. Like they can just have two squares on the screen that represent both DS screens and then show them switching places for the big twist.

Korigama

Very unfortunate. That said, I'm not the least bit surprised about the management disregarding the franchise's popularity in the West all because it's not popular in Japan.

Clov

I would absolutely back a Kickstarter to finish off the trilogy. I can't bear to see the trilogy unfinished.

Damn, I imagined that the game was well in development already, but I guess not.

edit: I have never backed a kickstarter before, but ZE3 would make me do it without hesitation.

Oh don't you dare! Don't you fucking dare not release this game!

Not having Shenmue III is bad enough!!! **cries uncontrollably**

He's said he will find a way! I hope he has a budget enough to do the things he wants to, but if not, I'm thinking he will figure out a method to get the story out, he seems determined.

Done my part, tweeted and facebook to him. :)

Simple:

Danganronpa 3=Zero Escape 3!

Dangan vs Zero Escape xD

Elija2

Also, I really hope that if Chunsoft does fund the game they don't try making even more dumb changes to try to appeal more to Japanese players. VLR was toned down because of it and I really hope ZE3 goes back to being as dark as 999.
They'd better not bring back Clover again or so help me god.

Also, I really hope that if Chunsoft does fund the game they don't try making even more dumb changes to try to appeal more to Japanese players. VLR was toned down because of it and I really hope ZE3 goes back to being as dark as 999.

She's the worse of the two siblings.
Bring back Snake!

jay

There is something satisfying about their attempt to make the game sell better by making it worse did not lead to more Japanese sales.

Yeesh, I didn't think anything could hurt as much as the thought of BG&E's story never getting finished off but this easily tops that. I don't think most Zero Escape fans would care if they went back to budget 2D artwork, surely they could find a way to do this on a smaller scale budget.

Verelios

There is something satisfying about their attempt to make the game sell better by making it worse did not lead to more Japanese sales.
Well...looking at the current situation, not really?

I'd back a kickstarter in a heartbeat. Just really sad news all around. First was the new shining game not being an RPG, then ffxii and finally this. Hope things pick up. I'll get on twitter to support them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I tweeted him about Kickstarting it. I think he's dismissing the option way too quickly. Or maybe he's only saying that and hoping for a publisher to contact him first.

Burnburn

What I just send him on facebook:

Hello,

It's a shame that things are looking bleak for Zero Escape 3, but don't give up yet, I bet you'll be getting a ton of support from the fans. To be honest, as long as you're still releasing games I don't really care if it's from the Zero Escape universe or not.

I'd also like to thank you for the amazing games you've written. They are mature and don't have unnecessary H-stuff. My favourite game from you is Remember 11. It's a shame that game never got a proper ending.

You're probably getting a lot of messages telling you to put it on Kickstarter. I can see why the decision to not use Kickstarter has been made. If the kickstarter fails, then the game is pretty much dead, right? But, there is also the possibility that the Kickstarter is a huge succes. It's a hard choice and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

I hope there will be massive support from all the fans to show Spike that there indeed is a very dedicated following for the game.

I'm looking forward to your next game, whatever it may be.

I honestly think they're afraid of failing the Kickstarter and thinking it would be dead when they fail it.

For now, we the fans, should show him every support we have!

J_Ark

I bought a Vita and a copy of VLR last week, I'm only interested in this saga and its sequel actually and felt really bad about playing the games on borrowed consoles of my friends. I've twitted @Uchikoshi_Eng to reconsider about crowd funding and let him know about this topic.

Nasser

I downloaded VLR for free when it was available on PS+. I feel ashamed for getting this game for free (not actually free but you know what I mean). I need to get a physical copy!

Anyways, Kickstarter is the only option he has. and undoubtedly I'll back it whenever this happens.

GSR

Disappointing, but honestly unsurprising.

VLR's existence was the result of 999 becoming an unexpected sleeper hit in America. Hitting that kind of success twice is much easier said than done. The Phoenix Wright games, for instance, have sold less and less with each entry even though the first was a relative hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big part of the pitch for VLR was "we'll have strong sales in America, and we'll change it to get better sales in Japan." Uchikoshi's confirmed that VLR has less gore than 999, for instance, because they expected that to sell better in Japan. They also made a short animated PV and some pretty fanservicey side stuff in the leadup to VLR's Japanese release.

And then VLR, well...

This is from Road's website, it uses Famitsu numbers.

NDS Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors {2009-12-10} - 16.967 / 39.653

3DS Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 7.890 / 17.913
PSV Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 6.133 / 15.454

The numbers say it all, and I would be honestly surprised to hear VLR significantly (if at all) surpassed 999's sales in America.

Now, this would be a tough enough situation even if the series was just making a bit of profit. Even then, Spike Chunsoft has other franchises that are much more lucrative that they could be putting staff onto. I've long suspected (but have yet to check the staff lists) there's some crossover between the Dangan Ronpa and ZE teams, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's more true than ever with two DR games in development. DR also scratches that 'dark' itch like ZE, but in a much more marketable way.

But this isn't even a case of the series being only a little profitable in Japan. If it's straight-up in the red over there, that's not something the company's going to want to risk offsetting with Western sales. Obviously, I can't speak to Spike Chunsoft and Aksys' licensing, but it seems reasonable to assume SC sees less profit from a Western copy than from a Japanese one.

And as ShockingAlberto said, if Uchikoshi's considered Kickstarter and been rebuffed, it's likely because he knows the goal they'd need from there is too much. VLR was pretty close to full voice; that isn't cheap. 3D modeling isn't cheap. And while it's tempting to say, "just drop that and go back to silent sprites", that doesn't look good for Spike Chunsoft to downgrade the final entry in one of their series.

Finally, remember that 999 was re-released on iOS and Android last year. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also an attempt to recoup costs and show the series could be profitable in Japan. I'm guessing it didn't go very well.

I hope an answer is found - I loved the ZE games and have been eager for the third - but it doesn't seem likely.

The numbers say it all, and I would be honestly surprised to hear VLR significantly (if at all) surpassed 999's sales in America.

I think it's unlikely that it did, if only because Europeans had to import 999 from America if they wanted to play it in English (Or anything other than Japanese, really).

If they don't release a 3rd game, heads will roll

They really should've just gone with sprites and no voice acting again. 999 didn't have all the bells and whistles and it was a better experience and better game. The improvements in flow made by VLR are all in interface and navigation, the presentation is whatever.

Anyway I hope they do a kickstarter.

Korigama

And as ShockingAlberto said, if Uchikoshi's considered Kickstarter and been rebuffed, it's likely because he knows the goal they'd need from there is too much. VLR was pretty close to full voice; that isn't cheap. 3D modeling isn't cheap. And while it's tempting to say, "just drop that and go back to silent sprites", that doesn't look good for Spike Chunsoft to downgrade the final entry in one of their series.
To be fair, the 3D models in VLR were anything but an upgrade from 999 anyway (they couldn't have been any further from what Capcom achieved with AA5).

Venfayth

They really should've just gone with sprites and no voice acting again. 999 didn't have all the bells and whistles and it was a better experience and better game. The improvements in flow made by VLR are all in interface and navigation, the presentation is whatever.

Anyway I hope they do a kickstarter.

The interface and navigation changes made it "playable". They're important.

Voice acting wasn't necessary, but they hit the ball out of the park with the English voices (I've heard the JP voices were good too).

The 3D wasn't necessary, I would not have missed it.

If Uchikoshi gets the money to do a third game, ideally I'd like it to be 2D, voice acted, and carry over the interface from VLR. I mean, more than anything I just want it to happen so that the cliffhanger in my soul can be unraveled, but I'd also prefer that it's executed well.

just launch 999 and VLR on PC to get some money, I would buy them both (again)

Interesting that this concept rises once again. It's perfect barring 999s ending.

The problem with this series is that it's primarily mindblowing to western audiences because they have no experience with these kinds of games and 999 somehow got a hold on the internet.

Some of the concepts people liked so much in 999 are actually fairly common in VNs over the last decade or so. Particulaly when dealing with Uchikoshi's past works, he reuses a loooooot of stuff. If you play Ever17 before 999/VLR, you'll be able to predict quite a few of the twists.

Not to imply that they're bad games, just it's understandable why they didn't have much of an impact in Japan where these kinds of games are so much more common.

Which would explain the DR push
I find most of the art direction, character design, and extreme padding of most other VNs off-putting compared to these, so it seems more a perfection rather than a revolution.

Instro

Christ what a disaster if this doesn't made. I'd been thinking something was up since we haven't heard anything after that initial announcement of a 3rd game.

Elija2

I also just realized that if there won't be a ZE3, I'll never get another chance to get one of those awesome preorder watches without spending $100 on ebay :<

Just looked up the prices. Goddamn those prices are high. Are people really buying them for $100+? Although there is a bid on eBay for a used VLR watch that's currently just at $5.

The problem with this series is that it's primarily mindblowing to western audiences because they have no experience with these kinds of games and 999 somehow got a hold on the internet.

Some of the concepts people liked so much in 999 are actually fairly common in VNs over the last decade or so. Particulaly when dealing with Uchikoshi's past works, he reuses a loooooot of stuff. If you play Ever17 before 999/VLR, you'll be able to predict quite a few of the twists.

Not to imply that they're bad games, just it's understandable why they didn't have much of an impact in Japan where these kinds of games are so much more common.

It was helped by the fact it was a DS game, I think.

I don't want to sit at my pc/laptop reading for any significant period of time. It's a whole different ball game when I can chill in bed with my DS/3DS/Vita. If there were more of these on the handhelds, I'd be all in. Soon danganronpa, soon.

Busaiku

Don't know how it's doing now, but it debuted very low.
It was less than 10k in its opening month (can't remember exactly how much, but Anihawk posted them and others quoted him through various months).

khaaan

A bummer but the series didn't capture me as much as it did other people so....meh. It was a fun ride though, and I wouldn't say no to another one.
DanganRonpa better be worth it.

AniHawk

i think it was a big mistake to give the series more of a budget. it didn't really need to have anything more than speechless text and hand-drawn images. the anime stuff wasn't necessary either. now they can't go back, even though i think the end product would be a lot cleaner.

This could be something where we're able to convince someone to try a Kickstarter.

He realizes how much of a following the series has in the West and he also is aware of Kickstarter if not altogether believing in it. If people find some way to group everyone together as some sort of mass assemblage to let him know how many people are interested as well as how much they'd be willing to pay individually, it may be something to get him to even try it. I mean...why the hell not? Convince him enough to even put a Kickstarter up. And if it fails, it fails. But why not fucking try? If your options are "This game I really want to make doesn't get made" vs "There is a slight chance this game might get made, even if the path to get there is somewhat troublesome" which one would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom