• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"ZOMBI" for Xbox One rated in Australia, published by Ubisoft

Wasnt the interesting thing about it that the game was NOT paused and you could be kill while looking at your bag?
If you pause that menu then it looses some of its roguelike elements.

Yeah, it was all about having two well defined spaces: what you see ahead of you and your resource management in your backpack on the GamePad, and how you can't manage both at once. If you want to reassemble your resources you need to stop and rummage through your backpack on the GamePad, where the game shows a view of what's around you on the TV, upping the tension and making you think hard about how, where and when you manage your resources.

They could put a menu on the screen, which keeps the game running in realtime, but it won't *feel* right, as you're not frantically trying to sort out your stuff as you flick from what's in your "backpack" to what's surrounding you.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wonder if it's still going to have multiplayer of one guy playing as the Zombies via a RTS interface and the rest in a first person shooter playing as the survivors.

More people need to experience Zombi U (or Zombi??). I hope they can capture the tension the Wii U version had, though I don't thi k it will be too difficult. I hope we get a sequel, on any console.

Raide

I wonder if it's still going to have multiplayer of one guy playing as the Zombies via a RTS interface and the rest in a first person shooter playing as the survivors.

Hopefully it does. The mode would be replicated easily with Smartglass. If Ubisoft actually does it of course. They have some experience with The Division using it etc, so maybe that helps but I guess it depends which group in Ubisoft they gave it to,

Ridley327

Would be a shame. Expand more of the "If you die you become a zombie in the world" stuff and flesh out the actual Zombie King defence mode.

My thinking is that this is going to be the path of least resistance for Ubi to take to try and see if there's any interest in continuing the franchise. They'll do the work needed to balance the single player content to work without the GamePad stuff, but the multiplayer mode was already fairly disposable in the Wii U version, so I can't imagine they'd be interested in offering it if you would need a second screen device to make it happen. If they have an idea for a multiplayer replacement in that instance, that's likely on hold for a potential sequel, pending the reaction to this port.

Kriken

I hope people pick this up, legitimately one of my favorite survival horror games in years. Actually expected the player to play smart with their resources and not just run through hordes of zombies screaming YOLO

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Hopefully it does. The mode would be replicated easily with Smartglass. If Ubisoft actually does it of course. They have some experience with The Division using it etc, so maybe that helps but I guess it depends which group in Ubisoft they gave it to,

I would buy it just for that. Never got around to touching the single player because I ended up going straight into multiplayer. It and Nintendoland took over the role of party game from Singstar.

scarlet

ZombiU is One of my faves for the last 5 years, had so much fun. Still not sure if I want to replay it, almost throw my gamepad away

Be interesting to see if they tweak any of the core game-play.

For those what played it on Wii U, what were the main issues and are they fixable in 'port'?

I hope that they make improvements to combat, weapon variety, graphics (with Physically Based Rendering), and better narrative. An option to turn Chromatic Aberration off would be awesome as well. I hope this gets ported to PC. I think that they will come up with a feasible solution to replace the gamepad functionality. They can introduce split-screen functionality that can be in focus or out of focus depending on what screen is selected.

EDIT: I do own the original ZombiU and was very impressed with it. It was a rare rougelike game to play on console. It was very tense, but it was still flawed. The cricket bat was your friend.

EDIT2: I'm surprised that people cannot think outside of the box on how to implement gamepad functionality. It really isn't that hard, people.

RavenXtra

Neo Member
Seems like a waste, considering the majority of what ZombiU an enjoyable game were the interactions you had with the GamePad screen. Otherwise, you're just left with an average zombie game with a decently spooky atmosphere and repetitive melee combat.

Zemm

Be interesting to see if the press that shat all over it at the WiiU launch suddenly change their tune.

It's going to be a worse game without the game pad, it's like one of very very few that benefit from that thing. So it'll be interesting what they say.

cacildo

Watch Wii U owners suddenly say "the game isn't that good anyway".

Nope. It's fantastic

The only problem is that it's a game deeply flawed, almost broken. And that was part of what made it so good. So they take away the game pad stuff and try to fix what's broken... the game may very well become nothing

Richie

Rayman Legends
Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
Nano Assault Neo

And now possibly ZombiU. Wow.

It's going to be hilarious when he PS4/Xbox One version of the game come out and all the major media sites give it glowing reviews and talk about how great it is....

And by "hilarious" I mean they should go fuck themselves.

oti

Banned
It's going to be hilarious when he PS4/Xbox One version of the game come out and all the major media sites give it glowing reviews and talk about how great it is....

And by "hilarious" I mean they should go fuck themselves.

European sites pretty much praised it all around on the Wii U. And now after so many Souls games I feel like even the US press would like the game better.

I hope they'll stay with just the cricket bat as the only melee weapon though. Seeing that brought up as a negative in reviews was hilariously stupid.

scitek

Then make it not pause when you look at, say, your bag.

I think Alien Isolation did something like this to lesser level, when you enabled radar it blurred the rest of your vision - though very, very little.

The Last Of Us did just that, and that's what I think of when I think of how this game could be done without the Gamepad. I don't get how the Gamepad is really necessary to get the brunt of the intended experience from this game.

Memory

This was the best thing about the game, if they expand it and add more players i'll double dip for sure.

European sites pretty much praised it all around on the Wii U. And now after so many Souls games I feel like even the US press would like the game better.

I hope they'll stay with just the cricket bat as the only melee weapon though. Seeing that brought up as a negative in reviews was hilariously stupid.

I think they should introduce a lot more melee weapons. Some like screwdrivers could be single use to push zombies back. Some weapons could eventually break. I would love to have a sword which would introduce zombie dismemberment. It would be awesome to pick up a zombie arm you cut off and beat them with it.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to having a mode where the cricket bat is the only melee weapon.

Shauni

I think they should introduce a lot more melee weapons. Some like screwdrivers could be single use to push zombies back. Some weapons could eventually break. I would love to have a sword which would introduce zombie dismemberment. It would be awesome to pick up a zombie arm you cut off and beat them with it.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to having a mode where the cricket bat is the only melee weapon.

I think maybe the game your looking for is Dead Rising, not this one.

jholmes

For those what played it on Wii U, what were the main issues and are they fixable in 'port'?

The game is really unpolished. The graphics needed a little extra work and things like ladders can be buggy.

The character generator is also ridiculous, I was once a 25-year-old major general named Mohammad Jones.

These things won't be fixed. It's Ubisoft.

Regarding adding weapons, I think the second they increase melee abilities or weapon effectiveness so that you can defend yourself against more than one zombi is the moment the game breaks apart and you wont feel any tension anymore. I believe this is what the game is about, there are many pistols/rifles/molotovs etc but ammo is sparse and you can go through it in no time and don't even take out one zombi if you panic.
You enter a room and you are not aware how man zombis may lurk in the dark corners, once you've died a few times you realise that you wont stand a chance if they suddenly swarm you, that is why the game is great though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For some reason I'm expecting it to be a digital version of the original Zombi game.

180px-Zombi_box.jpg

Regarding adding weapons, I think the second they increase melee abilities or weapon effectiveness so that you can defend yourself against more than one zombi is the moment the game breaks apart and you wont feel any tension anymore. I believe this is what the game is about, there are many pistols/rifles/molotovs etc but ammo is sparse and you can go through it in no time and don't even take out one zombi if you panic.
You enter a room and you are not aware how man zombis may lurk in the dark corners, once you've died a few times you realise that you wont stand a chance if they suddenly swarm you, that is why the game is great though.

They could introduce single-use defense items and breakable melee weapons where as the cricket bat will be the only melee weapon that has unlimited use. It would give the game more variety and hopefully preserve the focus on survival.

They could also increase the amount of zombies if they do give you more melee/firearm options.

Overall, I hope that they give you the option of gameplay modes which could appeal to different people.

AGoodODST

I would be the first person to tell you how great ZombiU is, but let's be realistic, it's very much a launch game, rough in parts and somewhat barebones.

I can't imagine a PS4/Xbone port doing anything other than highlighting the problems without the neat use of the GamePad to help take the focus away.

Maybe they will do something cool with it and surprise us but honestly can't see this being recieved all that well unless they rework it. We will see I suppose.

Richie

Genuine 'wow'? None of those being ported were really that surprising.

Perhaps not individually...

Nanos Assault Neo was a surprise for sure.

...albeit this one definitely was. It was more about all these games, whose Wii U exclusivity was made a big deal of initially, jumping ship sooner or later. Like, how many times does it happen that, say, a game for the PS4 or the One get promoted as exclusives to that console, only to see them released elsewhere later? The ones that are confirmed as temporal exclusives don't count.

They could introduce single-use defense items and breakable melee weapons where as the cricket bat will be the only melee weapon that has unlimited use. It would give the game more variety and hopefully preserve the focus on survival.

They could also increase the amount of zombies if they do give you more melee/firearm options.

Overall, I hope that they give you the option of gameplay modes which could appeal to different people.

Not a bad idea, yeah some of that definitely would add to the game.

jonno394

I wonder if they're getting this out there to pave the way for the sequel? The only reason I can see sense in a port of a 3 year old game that didn't set the charts on fire.

I got about half way through the game on Wii U, great atmosphere. WIll definitely pick up if it comes to PS4.

Top Bottom