• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"ZOMBI" for Xbox One rated in Australia, published by Ubisoft

scitek

Why should anyone say that?

Without the gamepad it will be a totally different game though. A worse game that is.

Can you explain how? I really don't see how it's totally different. The only thing different, really, is not having to look down when checking inventory.

Zubz

Banned
Do you have to let it linger Ubisoft? You should just come right out and confirm the rumour.

Ah, great. Now that song's in my head. In my he-ea-ad.

But yeah. Good on Tamaki for calling this! I never played the Wii U one because I've only heard mixed things, but maybe I should look for it cheap somewhere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was (and still is, which is extremely sad) the only game that use 100% of the Gamepad, and use it very well.
I wonder how they'll replace it, hope that won't kill part of the tension (like picking up items/unlocking doors while stuff happens on screen)

But I'm not really sure how the GamePad adds to the tension there in a way that, say, RE5's real-time inventory screen didn't.

Ridley327

Be interesting to see if they tweak any of the core game-play.

For those what played it on Wii U, what were the main issues and are they fixable in 'port'?

I think most people would agree that the biggest issue is the melee combat. It's not even an issue of there being just one melee weapon in the game, as the bigger issue is you have only one attack for it, and it's an overhead swing. You really don't have any major crowd control options at close range, so the impracticality of using your cricket bat as anything other than an ammo saving finishing move sticks out quite a bit. Giving it a sweeping attack would do wonders.

A lot of the other issues are minor in comparison, though I suspect most would suggest that a sequence towards the end of the game should be shortened by quite a bit.

Other than that, the challenge is going to be seeing how they adapt the GamePad functionality to the game. I was always a fan of how clutter-free the main screen was as a result of the design that went into, but that is going to have to change since they're not going to make a second screen interface mandatory. Off the top of my head, a weapon/item wheel selection to replace the customizable tiles seems like an obvious place to start.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, so its Xbox only? Such a great game on WiiU. Wonder how they have changed it.
Probably not, but the rating only says Xbox One as of now.
Almost every game is rated for "Multi Platform" in Australia even when it's for only one platform ever so I guess they might have messed up.
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 was for example only rated for Vita in Australia but it will be releasd on both Vita and 3DS.

jmizzal

I wonder if they're getting this out there to pave the way for the sequel? The only reason I can see sense in a port of a 3 year old game that didn't set the charts on fire.

I got about half way through the game on Wii U, great atmosphere. WIll definitely pick up if it comes to PS4.

It most likely will sell way worse on PS4 and Xboxone at a reduced price, but yea they will still greenlite a sequel for only Xbox one and PS4 and not WiiU even tho it sold way more at full price on WiiU

Tohsaka

They could introduce single-use defense items and breakable melee weapons where as the cricket bat will be the only melee weapon that has unlimited use. It would give the game more variety and hopefully preserve the focus on survival.

They could also increase the amount of zombies if they do give you more melee/firearm options.

Overall, I hope that they give you the option of gameplay modes which could appeal to different people.

More melee weapons would be cool, that was one of my main issues with the game.

oatmeal

Banned
Can you explain how? I really don't see how it's totally different. The only thing different, really, is not having to look down when checking inventory.

Physically looking away does add a certain charm and vulnerability.

But it will still work without it.

No map, no chatter away from the TV, no scanning, and yes - not looking down while managin your inventory in real time. Which was a big part of the tension in the original.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No map, no chatter away from the TV, no scanning, and yes - not looking down while managin your inventory in real time. Which was a big part of the tension in the original.

Yeah, the no scanning is a deal breaker.

erawsd

Honestly, the gamepad features are very easy to work around. In fact, the game may be better off without all the dumb tapping and gyroscope scanning/shooting. An on screen inventory would also work just fine.

Load times should be vastly improved and it'd be nice if they clean up all the unnecessary padding in the final act.

No map, no chatter away from the TV, no scanning, and yes - not looking down while managing your inventory in real time. Which was a big part of the tension in the original.

There are all ways around that. They could create a split-screen element where on screen can be out of focus and one in focus depending on what you are doing. There is nothing that can't be replicated or replaced.

Pineconn

A lot of the other issues are minor in comparison, though I suspect most would suggest that a sequence towards the end of the game should be shortened by quite a bit.

The
arena
thing? If agree, it was a major letdown after the [what I thought was] really cool area leading up to it
(catacombs or something like that?)
. I think it'd be great to make a smaller area like the
nursery
to replace it entirely, but that would obviously require a lot of dev time.

There are all ways around that. They could create a split-screen element where on screen can be out of focus and one in focus depending on what you are doing. There is nothing that can't be replicated or replaced.

There is always a way around. It´s also possible to play Driveclub on a Wiimote but why would anyone do that?

There is always a way around. It´s also possible to play Driveclub on a Wiimote but why would anyone do that?

I own the original game and I do love it. However, it is still a flawed game. I can personally live without the gamepad if they improve other elements (melee combat/variety/narrative) and maintain/increase the tension.

Raide

I own the original game and I do love it. However, it is still a flawed game. I can personally live without the gamepad if they improve other elements (melee combat/variety/narrative) and maintain/increase the tension.

Sort the melee combat out and add some more combat variety will go a long way to sorting the issue out.

Ridley327

The
arena
thing? If agree, it was a major letdown after the [what I thought was] really cool area leading up to it
(catacombs or something like that?)
. I think it'd be great to make a smaller area like the
nursery
to replace it entirely, but that would obviously require a lot of dev time.

Yeah, that one. It represented a pretty extreme jump in difficulty with the circumstances it presents, and it goes on for such a long time. I managed to complete that section without dying, though it seems like I was an extreme outlier.

Pineconn

Yeah, that one. It represented a pretty extreme jump in difficulty with the circumstances it presents, and it goes on for such a long time. I managed to complete that section without dying, though it seems like I was an extreme outlier.

That impressive. I had the same character for several hours, but then died like 8 times in that area. :(

Ridley327

That impressive. I had the same character for several hours, but then died like 8 times in that area. :(

When I went online after that bit and finally read about that section, I kind of felt like a god.

I had a habit throughout the game of setting up kiting traps for groups of zombies, so I was able to apply that with all the landmines they throw at you. Also, I made damn sure to stick one in front of the garage door since I knew they were going to do something evil with that, so I never had to deal with the big group of riot gear zombies that always seemed to spell doom for a lot of people.

Roo

Well, I just hope it doesn't bomb here too.
The IP has potential but I can see Ubisoft killing it permanently if it doesn't meet their expectations.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
If it does hit, have fun! I really like the Wii U version, but I don't see enough motives to double dip this time.

When I went online after that bit and finally read about that section, I kind of felt like a god.

I had a habit throughout the game of setting up kiting traps for groups of zombies, so I was able to apply that with all the landmines they throw at you. Also, I made damn sure to stick one in front of the garage door since I knew they were going to do something evil with that, so I never had to deal with the big group of riot gear zombies that always seemed to spell doom for a lot of people.

I also made that part on the first try, funny enough, in my second playthrough when I was actually prepared, I died there (blew myself up lol).

El Sabroso

should hit PC as well I hope Ubi shares more of the game not only on consoles, but also to PC owners

have not played that much only the 1st level but it is a solid game

Zombi_box.jpg

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Oh right. The scanning was huge. It was actually annoying when you get the auto scan.
Yeah the other stuff could be worked around but the scanning is such a big part of the game that I just don't see it being as good without it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm curious if they manage to go around all the Gamepad mechanics in a proper way and keep the tension and the same quality of play or if this will end up as an average zombi game.

jimi_dini

If Gamespot reviews this as "refreshingly different" I am going to flog myself.

If those fucks do anything like that, they should get banned. The horrible review of theirs shouldn't be linked to at all. It's literally a wrong "opinion" ^H^H^H clickbait ^H^H^H fanboy bullshit.

I mean seriously.
Positives:
+ Fun multiplayer modes capitalize on game's strengths

Negatives:
- Heavy emphasis on dull melee combat
- Uninteresting puzzles and mission structure
- Wii U gamepad adds little and hurts immersion

It doesn't even make sense. The multiplayer was tacked on. The meat of the game is single player and that's where the game shines.
And I can't wrap my head around the "hurts immersion" line. Did the "reviewer" play it for 5 minutes only? It simply makes no sense at all.
That's like someone "reviewing" Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and saying that the Wiimote hurts aiming and accuracy.

I'm waiting for the PS4/Bone reviews going:
Positives:
+ Fun multiplayer modes capitalize on game's strangths
+ Great and weighty melee combat
+ finally a true survival horror game
+ with a Dark Souls twist
+ and zombies
+ and lots of zombies
+ interesting puzzles and mission structure
+ hardcore difficulty
+ extremely high tension all the time
+ 1080p
+ No Wii U gamepad

Negatives:
- it took them too long to port it over

9.6/10

I mean at release there were issues, but those aren't even mentioned in the negatives. Still a 4/10 is simply crazy talk. I mean if the reviewer simply really didn't like that type of game at all, then why would he even review it? That's like me reviewing a FIFA game. I would give it a 2/10 because I don't like soccer.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Scanning mode will be easy on a regular controller, just hold L1 (or whatever) and use the right stick.

Not hard.
Defeats the entire point of the scan system. Might as well give flashing lights to signify an item is there at that point.

oti

Banned
I wasn't sure if this was really happening. I asked around.

It's happening.

Trying to get more details but can't promise anything.

Hugstable

Banned
If those fucks do anything like that, they should get banned. The horrible review of theirs shouldn't be linked to at all. It's literally a wrong "opinion" ^H^H^H clickbait ^H^H^H fanboy bullshit.

I mean seriously.
Positives:
+ Fun multiplayer modes capitalize on game's strengths

Negatives:
- Heavy emphasis on dull melee combat
- Uninteresting puzzles and mission structure
- Wii U gamepad adds little and hurts immersion

It doesn't even make sense. The multiplayer was tacked on. The meat of the game is single player and that's where the game shines.
And I can't wrap my head around the "hurts immersion" line. Did the "reviewer" play it for 5 minutes only? It simply makes no sense at all.
That's like someone "reviewing" Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and saying that the Wiimote hurts aiming and accuracy.

I'm waiting for the PS4/Bone reviews going:
Positives:
+ Fun multiplayer modes capitalize on game's strangths
+ Great and weighty melee combat
+ finally a true survival horror game
+ with a Dark Souls twist
+ and zombies
+ and lots of zombies
+ interesting puzzles and mission structure
+ hardcore difficulty
+ extremely high tension all the time
+ 1080p
+ No Wii U gamepad

Negatives:
- it took them too long to port it over

9.6/10

I mean at release there were issues, but those aren't even mentioned in the negatives. Still a 4/10 is simply crazy talk. I mean if the reviewer simply really didn't like that type of game at all, then why would he even review it? That's like me reviewing a FIFA game. I would give it a 2/10 because I don't like soccer.

Calm down, it's just a single review. And if it's even the same reviewer he would probably give it the same score. The dude can't be that stupid.

Mithos

As long as you can NOT see the gameplay while in inventory on XB1 its OK. so keep a button pressed to see inventory and it removes gameplay view, and when released or pressed again inventory goes away.

BUT if its a transparent inventory allowing you to see the gameplay view, EPIC MAJOR FAIL.

Having to look up and down IS what makes it what it is.

erawsd

Defeats the entire point of the scan system. Might as well give flashing lights to signify an item is there at that point.

How? You hit L1 that puts you into "scan mode" with a pink filter and a reticle you can move with Right stick. The only difference is that instead of using the gyro to move the reticle you use the right stick.

Top Bottom