• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombie Army Trilogy |OT| Nazi Zombies (no, not that one)

Spades

Cross post from the B/S/T thread:

221-zombie-army-trilogy-boxart.png

Selling:

Zombie Army Trilogy for Xbox One (Download Code)

£18 / $25

PM me!

Holy hell...the finale for the second campaign was a tough one. An unbelievable amount of zombies are thrown at you in 4-player c-op. I was getting so many 25+ grenade combos. Shit was crazy.

Moofers

How long does an average horde session last? I need to know how much time to set aside for one...

Depends entirely on the team. I spent an hour in Dead End with some guys getting to Wave 11 before we got overwhelmed. It was a dumb mistake that cost us too, it could have gone further, I think.

So I picked this up for xbox and I'm loving the difficulty so far. Playing on marksman.
What weapons are you guys liking?

Rifle: Type 99. Nice power and zoom. Seems more effective than the Garand and Carbine, in my experience.

Shotgun or Preacher, when possible. The Preacher is a beast. Too bad I've only seen it once!

Pistol - Colt. Decent power and rate of fire.

AkuMifune

Banned
Holy hell...the finale for the second campaign was a tough one. An unbelievable amount of zombies are the own at you in 4-player c-op. I was getting so many 25+ grenade combos. Shit was crazy.

Finally made it to that one last night and looking forward to finishing it tonight. Guess I'll do it co-op then. ;)

Depends entirely on the team. I spent an hour in Dead End with some guys getting to Wave 11 before we got overwhelmed. It was a dumb mistake that cost us too, it could have gone further, I think.

I got to Wave 6 in one on my own last night but got too tired to continue. Certainly seems like something much more fun in co-op. That seems obvious though, I played horde in Gears of War a few times solo and it was the worst. Just gets tedious.

Chairhome

Played some 2p Horde mode with my brother yesterday and it was pretty fun. I like the variety in the levels, even though there are only 5 of them.

Rifle - Gewehr. Fast rate of fire and highest zoom level out of any of the rifles. Very useful for putting some distance between you and the MG elites so you can fire at their heads in rapid succession.

Secondary - Trusty 12 gauge shotgun. Great crowd-control.

Pistol - Webley. It's only single-shot, but it's very powerful. Kills zombies in one shot. Very useful for if you're getting overrun and have no secondary ammo left.
Pretty much what I run with except for the rifle. I use the Russian Mosin Nagant - its high power means you don't have to worry as much about bullet drop and wind as the higher fire rate rifles.

Moofers

Finally made it to that one last night and looking forward to finishing it tonight. Guess I'll do it co-op then. ;)

I got to Wave 6 in one on my own last night but got too tired to continue. Certainly seems like something much more fun in co-op. That seems obvious though, I played horde in Gears of War a few times solo and it was the worst. Just gets tedious.

You and I can never be friends. j/k

I've put so many hours into Gears 3 solo horde I've lost count. Blood Drive, normal difficulty, no mutators. I set up camp at the top of the stairs and hold out as long as possible. I treat it like one of those games where you're always trying for the high score. Plus I crank a custom soundtrack the entire time that's like 150 songs or something like that. Hard-charging metal, frantic industrial, and pulsing techno all mixed up. Good times.

I haven't done much solo Horde in ZAT yet, but I can tell this game will be played for years to come so I fully expect to use my custom soundtrack here as well. I only wish ZAT (or ANY game for that matter) would take Horde to the level that Gears 3 did with all the fortifications you could buy between rounds. Setting up fences and sentries and turrets and whatnot was awesome.

AkuMifune

Banned
You and I can never be friends. j/k

Hah! 3 was certainly the best for horde, but happens to be the one I played the least. I was huge into Gears 2 horde. Huge. I was trying to at one point for 100% achievements but gave up I think (those achievements are missing from my profile for some reason). I can see playing 3 solo though with all of the drops, turrets, mutators, etc...

I also think this will be a game I play for a long time, certainly coming back whenever I get the urge to kill zombies. It's so well done.

Oneself

Any differences between the Xbox One and PS4 versions?

Seems just like Sniper Elite 3, mostly aesthetic differences. PS4 hovers around 50-60fps with v-sync, XBone version seems to have some minor performance issues... nothing game-breaking if you can get over screen tearing and some framerate drops here and there. SE3 had lower AF on XBone, so it might be the case here as well.

And what's the popular method in taking down elites? I'm struggling to get past the church defense on first chapter... :(
There's a miracle sent straight from the heavens just sitting there on the altar, waiting for a chosen one to wield it. Let it reveal its light and its truth and you will know.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is like... super repetitive.

Into the second campaign now with friends and I feel like every mission is exactly the same. Kinda took the wind out of the sails a bit.

derFeef

Heh, in 3/1 - anyone else put the
skeleton into the cell with the satanic signs?
Maybe it's even needed I am not sure, because it triggered something.

Into the second campaign now with friends and I feel like every mission is exactly the same. Kinda took the wind out of the sails a bit.

I think the third one will please you. One and two are like super old and simple.

Stevey

Just started the 3rd Campaign.
Awesome game.
Playing on PC with V-Sync on and it normally caps it at 60, but last night in the middle of the game, it decided to switch my monitor to 120, but now it's back on 60 :/
Anyone know how to get it to run at 120 or 144 with V-Sync on?
I cant handle the screen tearing with it off.

goonergaz

Seems just like Sniper Elite 3, mostly aesthetic differences. PS4 hovers around 50-60fps with v-sync, XBone version seems to have some minor performance issues... nothing game-breaking if you can get over screen tearing and some framerate drops here and there. SE3 had lower AF on XBone, so it might be the case here as well.

Minor? I thought I read it tore badly

So now I see Sniper Elite is coming out, not ever been interested before but it's cheap and I really like this...so will I enjoy SE because I heard some say they like SE but not this?

AkuMifune

Banned
So 'players met' still isn't working on PSN? I need to message the host last night who dropped the game at the end of the last episode on the second campaign.

Having to do all that again tonight is not going to be fun. OK, maybe a little.

Elites are not bad. Just have to keep distance from them and head shot them while ignoring the other enemies (unless the red grenade guys spawn).

So 'players met' still isn't working on PSN? I need to message the host last night who dropped the game at the end of the last episode on the second campaign.

Having to do all that again tonight is not going to be fun. OK, maybe a little.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes the most recent people on the list are people you've played with days ago. Shit's broken.

Nokterian

End of this week i am also buying it for Steam through GMG off course because discounts! Anyone wanna play then? You can add me on steam same nickname as here.

Evolved1

So I think I've put enough time into this now... final verdict is mostly negative. There's some fun to be had in the beginning, but I would give the trilogy 4/10 and would not recommend.

This is probably the most repetitive game I have played in the last decade.

To all who like it, that's cool. Don't quite see the appeal though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
So I think I've put enough time into this now... final verdict is mostly negative. There's some fun to be had in the beginning, but I would give the trilogy 4/10 and would not recommend.

This is probably the most repetitive game I have played in the last decade.

To all who like it, that's cool. Don't quite see the appeal though.

What did your friend(s) playing co-op with you think of it?

Evolved1

What did your friend(s) playing co-op with you think of it?

That's the thing. My co-op friends are awesome and hilarious. So when you get to a point when even in co-op, the game is boring and repetitive, and no one is laughing any more... eh. Kind of a bummer. It was a pretty expensive game too.

AkuMifune

Banned
That's the thing. My co-op friends are awesome and hilarious. So when you get to a point when even in co-op, the game is boring and repetitive, and no one is laughing any more... eh. Kind of a bummer. It was a pretty expensive game too.

I played mostly SP and still had a blast with it. Well worth the $40 I spent. I did kind of sour on the experience a bit over the weekend when reaching checkpoints that have endlessly spawning zombies. There's no way to mitigate the threat, you just have to run around and take out the spawner/general/whatever and it's really lame. Otherwise, is the experience pretty straightforward? Yeah, but I wouldn't say repetitive. More like, it has a good rhythm. :)

Bust still one of my favorite surprises in a while. And just to provide some context based on your summary I would give it a 7/10 and easily recommend it to anyone who liked L4D.

And sorry to ignore your invite bloodbathandbeyond, I can only join MP games at night when everyone else is asleep and I know I have time to finish!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I haven't had a chance to play the new content yet, finally all the friends I wanted to play with have the game, and plan to do a long playing session on Saturday, though we'll probably only get past the first episode and part-way through the second, but I'm still looking forward to it~

Toa TAK

Banned
I've gone through the first two episodes, and haven't got to the third episode, either.

Pretty excited to try it as I've heard good things here.

The third episode is much, much better than the previous episodes. Better encounters, better level design, more varied and harder enemies. Really enjoyed the last section of the third campaign.

Ran into a few online coop bugs.
One had a friend locked in a saferoom, after me and the other friend moved on forward.
The other had my friend die, yet their character was still standing afer a team wipe, yet they were still dead - they couldn't move or do anything.

We put the game on a backburner until some patches are deployed.

Adam Blue

The third episode is much, much better than the previous episodes. Better encounters, better level design, more varied and harder enemies. Really enjoyed the last section of the third campaign.

And the first section alone has a bunch of hidden sidequests and content. That needed to be throughout the game.

I'm intrigued by this game, is it a sniper game rather than a run and gun FPS (like Wolfenstein), i've never played nay of the sniper games but I quite fancy picking this up.

I've fallen out of love with FPS's these days which is why i'm asking as I would rather snipe than run and gun!

I'm intrigued by this game, is it a sniper game rather than a run and gun FPS (like Wolfenstein), i've never played nay of the sniper games but I quite fancy picking this up.

I've fallen out of love with FPS's these days which is why i'm asking as I would rather snipe than run and gun!

You can do both, but it is very much a sniper game and can be played almost exclusively as one.

Carm

Fucking game man. I was enjoying myself, at the last spot for the first campaign, the the worst scenario you can think of fucking happens. I push into phase 2, get the checkpoint save right as a suicider pops up. Literally no time to move and of course I die and since it fucking saved there, I'm now in a dying loop that I can't get out of. You can't move right when you spawn in, so suicider has time to tick, other wise I may have had a chance, really fucking dumb I'll have to do the whole episode over now.

Edit: Well, what I thought didn't work, worked, I just didn't check for other save locations. Before exiting the game, I alt-tabbed out and killed cloud saving. Found cloud save folder and deleted. Started game same checkpoint, had forgotten there is a save game location in the appdata folder. Got rid of that, started game no save but exit out and it synced and right back to before that area thankfully.

DirtyLarry

Yep have to say that is also my take on the game.

I am playing it solo which makes the repetition even worse I have to imagine.
I played through the first 3 missions on the first episode, then decided to just jump to the third episode and I am currently on the 2nd mission in it. So I have played 5 missions total which almost makes up an entire episode.

I wish I could have just picked up one of the episodes for like $15 as I would have felt much better overall about the purchase.

But for $40, speaking strictly from a solo perspective, I cannot recommend it to others.

Again I am sure it would be much different if I played with people, but limited time to play combined with very random times of when I actually do play means I either try and make plans with people and more likely than not flake or have to bail early, or just keep playing whenever I can on my own. I am always going to choose the latter as I hate flakes, so refuse to be one myself.

Oh well, luckily I still had plenty of PSN credit from the holidays.

But for $40, speaking strictly from a solo perspective, I cannot recommend it to others.
From what I've played I'd agree that its hard to recommend to others on the basis of its solo game.

You CAN play it solo, but all the while you'll be reminded of how every aspect of the game is designed for multiple players acting in concert.

Still, the fact that you solo it at all is still a big selling point for me - so few co-op focused games and modes allow for it.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend this as a solo game only, but as a co-op game that can be solo'd if needed, sure. There's still a lot here to love.

Adam Blue

I don't know how you COULDN'T recommend this solo - because it looks like it's supposed to be co-op? I mean, the amount of enemies is tailored for solo. And the sense of accomplishment when finishing some of the insane objectives! Taking out multiple elites while evading zombies is so horrific. Now, I can understand if that's just too stressful, as at times I do have to put the game down and chill for a bit. Hardest part for me was
the chainsaw elite right outside the sky tram. Having to try to kill him while tons of zombies have unlimited respawn!
I like co-op too, but it's less survival-horror that way. Better for helping others find collectibles. Though, if others don't have patience, it may it may be best to do the 1st level of chapter 3 alone - there is so much to explore and so many secrets and side-quests to figure out.

ANYWAY...I came here to post this, from the Steam forums:

PC patch coming soon.
Adding the ability to toggle aiming down sights or scope view. (Yes!)
Console command to disable scorecard in the top right hand corner. (Yes!)
Improvements to track down matchmaking issues. (Yes!)

Krakn3Dfx

I find the game to be tense and sometimes terrifying in single player, and not anymore repetitive than most shooters. I think something like Alan Wake is much more repetitive in it's gameplay and enemy design.

I like co-op too, but it's less survival-horror that way.
You're right, and its a good point. Its not such a bad thing to have to watch your back like crazy when soloing either, but because of that you'll have fewer viable choices in how to approach some of the fights. You can't hold a perch on the second floor with your back to the enemies knowing that another player has you covered. You can set up traps which is awesome, but that's not really covering your back as much as giving you early warning to GTFO, and probably right into a hot mess.

But yeah, on second thought both approaches are solid on their own merits.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just played through all of episode 1 and the first stage of episode 2 of the game with three friends. We had a blast, a few changes compared to the first game we weren't big on (the focus on combos to distance shots being one of them), but most of the changes were appreciated. We actually did a LOT better than I expected, did all six levels on Sniper Elite difficulty with Elite number of enemies. We plan to resume next Saturday, we all had played Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 1 before, but none of us have played two, the first stage of Episode 2 may be one of my favorite levels yet though, loved it as did the people I played with.

Top Bottom