• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev Diary

That's pretty much a done deal already. We are talking about a sub-seventy average here, not exactly the highest mark to be competing with....

I only stated that for all the haters on here that never did any sort of research on the game and just dismissed Zombi U as another another Red Steel.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I cant help but think they would have been better off launching on multiple consoles.

It uses the screen decently, but personally I wouldnt care if they just picture-in-picture'd it on the TV screen for consoles or PC.

There is limited supply of Wii U and it looks like its gonna be months before they become easy to find (based on limited production and high demand eg launching with mario game). There are some huge launch releases like AC3, Black Ops, mario which combined with the $350 being the best value (I would get that one despite not being interested in Nintendoland) buyers face some tough choices. I can't see this game selling more than low hundreds of thousands.

I was surprised how well dead island sold, which was also RPG mechanics, zombie based and they created a very similar style of slow mo trailer. maybe they plan on releasing on other consoles next year in a quieter release window

ZombiU will be a million seller.

Launch exclusive, heavily backed by Nintendo, high level of hype, and everybody loves Zombies. I wouldn't be surprised though if it is ported to other consoles (eventually). I also expect the sequel to be multiplatform.

I like the story details in the video, I was scared it wasnt going to have any interesting story, but seeing different important characters trying to live in London and interacting with you makes me feel something like the first Biosock, and if they can carry the stroy well with them it could be amazing.

Yeah. You can definitely feel those beginning levels were only the tip of the iceberg. There's a ton of story to be discovered the further you get

Donnie

You're right. But Gamescom build, graphics were 80%. They told me they were working on aliasing after that. Frankfurt build looked pretty much final. I don't see why the game will look much different come Nov 30th.

Then again, experience looks really cool (if a bit awkward). And for beautiful games, I choose Mario and Rayman, period.

They told you that the game was 80% complete at that time and they were currently working on Anti Aliasing?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I would think with the slower pacing ZombiU has it would work better then the faster gameplay that was going to be offered with Killer Freaks.

Yes. I agree. The slower more deliberate movement in the game would suit this control method a lot better. Hopefully Ubisoft will add that mode at some point.

D-e-f-

Banned
I cant help but think they would have been better off launching on multiple consoles.

It uses the screen decently, but personally I wouldnt care if they just picture-in-picture'd it on the TV screen for consoles or PC.

There is limited supply of Wii U and it looks like its gonna be months before they become easy to find (based on limited production and high demand eg launching with mario game). There are some huge launch releases like AC3, Black Ops, mario which combined with the $350 being the best value (I would get that one despite not being interested in Nintendoland) buyers face some tough choices. I can't see this game selling more than low hundreds of thousands.

I was surprised how well dead island sold, which was also RPG mechanics, zombie based and they created a very similar style of slow mo trailer. maybe they plan on releasing on other consoles next year in a quieter release window

The difference is that it's "just another game" on other platforms while on Wii U, it's THE game to get for "serious" gamers alongside their system and Mario or NintendoLand.

Skiesofwonder

The difference is that it's "just another game" on other platforms while on Wii U, it's THE game to get for "serious" gamers alongside their system and Mario or NintendoLand.

And this is why The Conduit sold decently well.

*barfs*

Effect

Launch exclusive, heavily backed by Nintendo, high level of hype, and everybody loves Zombies. I wouldn't be surprised though if it is ported to other consoles (eventually). I also expect the sequel to be multiplatform.

Out of the two titles I expect ZombiU to do better then Assassin's Creed 3 on the system. If it does as well as it should then I expect the sequel to say on the Wii U. If the ground work is already laid it shouldn't take much to do a sequel given the nature of the game. Though this all depends if Nintendo was smart about trying to get Ubisoft to keep it on the system. Providing all the help they need to make development easier. The fact that it has it's own bundle tells me Nintendo realizes the potential of the game and would try to keep it exclusive.

Sure you could do the game on other systems but a lot would be lost in the process. I'm assuming a lot of what makes the game work is the immersion provided by having the two screens. On paper it might seem simple but in practice is where I bet it will shine and be a much bigger deal. That's going to be the gamble and key thing going forward with Wii U games and versions, especially with single player games.

Skiesofwonder

To be fair, had the game been out at launch, it would've sold a lot better. Coming out mid-2009 didn't do it any favors.

I was being serious. The Conduit sold decently well just because it was a "mature" FPS exclusive to Wii. God help all the Wii owners that would have been duped had it released at launch; we already had enough of that with Red Steel.

To be fair, had the game been out at launch, it would've sold a lot better. Coming out mid-2009 didn't do it any favors.

Didn´t some devs/publishers say that launch period is the best time to introduce new IPs?

I really hope it sells well enough to warrant a sequel.

Wanna know what they will do when they know the hardware better and when its developed on Wii U devkit from day 1.

D-e-f-

Banned
Didn´t some devs/publishers say that launch period is the best time to introduce new IPs?

Everyone says that because it's true. You can of course do it later and be successful but launch period is the "safest" (thus -> "best") time to launch new IP.

Its basically about less competition both in the shops and in games current library.
Everyone wants something new!

ZombiU is bundled which makes me doubly hopeful; with the right advertising I think this thing could do really well. We've had a generation of more or less action based games, people will surely be going into this generation maybe looking for something of new tastes.

The 'share info with friends' and the 'how long can you survive' should also help too.
This does depend on how good the game is. If it gets 9's it'd be a big situation for any launch games; 8's? Okay, its a good game; any lower and it might struggle a bit more to become a 'hit'.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member

I fully expect a sequel to remain a Nintendo exclusive. The title is ZombiU. Nintendo wont let a game with a title that mimics WiiU go to other consoles especially a successful 3rd party exclusive.

I fully expect a sequel to remain a Nintendo exclusive. The title is ZombiU. Nintendo wont let a game with a title that mimics WiiU go to other consoles especially a successful 3rd party exclusive.

Even if a sequel goes to the other systems, barring them having radically similar controllers, the Wii U version will be the definitive one because of the mechanics.

This is a game where the second screen actually defines the game rather than embellishes it.

I just hope there is a sequel at all because I think more time would serve this game well and a sequel without any deadline would be a much better game.

Awesome diary.

That fucking version of God Save The Queen better be in the game.

Yup, that was fantastic...since hearing that I keep on seeing visions of zombie carnage every time England play a match lololol.

I've joined the Ubisoft forums and posted a thread asking about the crosshairs in the game. In these Dev Diaries and the last two trailers you can't see the crosshairs...so I was wondering whether there was an option to turn them off. They need that option to separate the men from the boys lol ;oP

Am really pumped for this game, can't wait to play it!!!

Skiesofwonder

Out of the two titles I expect ZombiU to do better then Assassin's Creed 3 on the system. If it does as well as it should then I expect the sequel to say on the Wii U. If the ground work is already laid it shouldn't take much to do a sequel given the nature of the game. Though this all depends if Nintendo was smart about trying to get Ubisoft to keep it on the system. Providing all the help they need to make development easier. The fact that it has it's own bundle tells me Nintendo realizes the potential of the game and would try to keep it exclusive.

Sure you could do the game on other systems but a lot would be lost in the process. I'm assuming a lot of what makes the game work is the immersion provided by having the two screens. On paper it might seem simple but in practice is where I bet it will shine and be a much bigger deal. That's going to be the gamble and key thing going forward with Wii U games and versions, especially with single player games.

I expect that by the time a ZombiU2 is released, the PS4/Xbox 720 will be out and undoubtedly have some type of support for a second screen. If not, they could always port a lesser version that splits the screen in two or support Vita/SmartGlass (which undoubtedly would be crappy).

I don't think the U is going to matter. The developers have already heavily hinted at a port, not to mention I think ZombiU has the potential to become a huge seller/franchise, especially with the recent RE debacle. Looking at Left 4 Dead, Epic Mickey, and Mass Effect (among others), big western franchises don't stay exclusive to one console unless the first party money-hats it (which I don't see Nintendo doing).

I expect that by the time a ZombiU2 is released, the PS4/Xbox 720 will be out and undoubtedly have some type of support for a second screen. If not, they could always port a lesser version that splits the screen in two or support Vita/SmartGlass (which undoubtedly would be crappy).

Looking at the price of the WiiU gamepad...am not so sure.

hmm good point, if nintendo are providing marketing dollars they get to build up a brand on someone else's dime and port later

the gamepad screen looks like it adds NOTHING to the game to me

if it does add to the game, this is a problem that nintendo has to overcome to sell the system (like advertising a high quality TV on someone's low quality current set)

who knows, if I get to try one out in a store (when they are actually available) I may change my mind

Ryoku

if it does add to the game, this is a problem that nintendo has to overcome to sell the system (like advertising a high quality TV on someone's low quality current set)

who knows, if I get to try one out in a store (when they are actually available) I may change my mind

Lolwut

EDIT: I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not :/

CaVaYeRo

They told you that the game was 80% complete at that time and they were currently working on Anti Aliasing?

Yes. Not "anti-aliasing", but working on softening the aliased stuff.

Anyway, that's my bet, and I know they can add some polish during last weeks: game won't change too much, won't look that impressive, won't be best looking game at launch, but gameplay experience will be unique and full of cool ideas. That's more important to me.

I'll be checking out the game again this Friday, but I guess it'll be Tower of London Wii U Experience build again.

GamePad = you stop looking at the TV, no pause, zombies coming.

Lolwut

EDIT: I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not :/

nah I mean I have a feeling you have to actually try the game for real

the wii motion control was easy to "get" just by looking at an advert, the gamepad with touch is a harder sell.

note, I can see a lot of value in other games just not for zombie u. eg if I still played split screen games (vs online), I can see a ton of value in the black ops 2 players each with their own entire screen

Social

That's how I feel about all the games I played so far... :(

Seems only for the guns that have a scope. I hope they add an option for that. Worked really well in OOT3D.

Well they had that zombification thingie at E3 but I doubt it's for the protagonist since we haven't seen it for any. Maybe it's for random zombies that populate the sceneries.

I thought a while back that having your zombie appearing in other people's games would be pretty cool but that could be messed up by having male faces being submitted as female and vice versa. Or even children's or pet's heads on adult bodies lol. Would certainly go a long way to having a wide variety of different looking zombies.

Perhaps they could do that for the inevitable sequel..? I'm pretty sure if they've done it for this game we would have heard about it by now. And if they do decide to do it then it would be limited to your Friend list or even people in your own home. Would be very cool indeed if you had zombified people that you know lol.

I'd also like to see zombified children and pets tbh, although I guess the former in particular would be way too controversial lol. I mean, if you're playing a zombie apocalypse simulator you've got to have zombified kids, right..? :Oo

thanks! does it take a lot of fumbling around?
Not at all, the first one I made took me 20 minutes because I was getting used to it. The last few I made took 2 minutes. Its kind of addicting. Since I downloaded a lot of the E3 and Nintendo Direct assets I might go on a gif spree in my free time.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I thought a while back that having your zombie appearing in other people's games would be pretty cool but that could be messed up by having male faces being submitted as female and vice versa. Or even children's or pet's heads on adult bodies lol. Would certainly go a long way to having a wide variety of different looking zombies.

Then Zombie U would suddenly become Silent Hill :)

D-e-f-

Banned
Not at all, the first one I made took me 20 minutes because I was getting used to it. The last few I made took 2 minutes. Its kind of addicting. Since I downloaded a lot of the E3 and Nintendo Direct assets I might go on a gif spree in my free time.

seems like it's not as easy with CS3 which I have. Ah well, back to using free web converters :D

Man, I had really written this game off as a "Ubilaunchz" game but it keeps looking better the closer we get to launch. And I don't just mean visually.

Puts me in a tough spot.

shandy706

Looks like I'll pick it up if it reviews well, despite being tired of zombie games.

Oh, and if people think this is impressive...the 720/PS4 is going to blow your/our socks off.

Man, I had really written this game off as a "Ubilaunchz" game but it keeps looking better the closer we get to launch. And I don't just mean visually.

Puts me in a tough spot.

what games look better to you? zombiu looks like the best exclusive game in the launch lineup by far (if I bought the console it would be this, AC3 and underground)

zombiugif3c1rby.gif

*fixed one of the gifs I made a page or 2 ago.

Dat lighting

Oh, and if people think this is impressive...the 720/PS4 is going to blow your/our socks off.

O... kay?

what games look better to you? zombiu looks like the best exclusive game in the launch lineup by far (if I bought the console it would be this, AC3 and underground)

Of the exclusives, NSMBU looks like the best game to me, and Wonderful 101 a close 2nd. But since that and Pikmin 3 are coming out next year I have some room to look. And this is looking mighty fine all of a sudden.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Can we keep the console wars stuff out of this thread, guys? Zombie U deserves better than that.

Can we keep the console wars stuff out of this thread, guys? Zombie U deserves better than that.

This game will end up coming to the other consoles anyway, either this game will be ported or when a sequel is made. Its Ubisoft. Well as long as it sells - as the best launch game it should.

D-e-f-

Banned
This game will end up coming to the other consoles anyway, either this game will be ported or when a sequel is made. Its Ubisoft. Well as long as it sells - as the best launch game it should.

That's highly doubtful. For example, Splinter Cell Conviction never made it to PS3.

That's highly doubtful. For example, Splinter Cell Conviction never made it to PS3.

that's why I said "or a sequel" since nintendo may have made this a true exclusive (vs timed)

man, what a fail conviction was. such a disappointment to me. I dont have high hopes for the next one either.

Where are the other console versions of Red Steel? That sold pretty well

brainpann

Not a big zombie fan but with ZombieU's London setting, sorta feels like the 28 Days Later game I always wanted. Now if someone will just make that "first person tower defense defense shooter" set to the orginal Dawn of the Dead, I'd be a happier camper.

Linconan

I need to ask a question, and hopefully somebody who's been following the info will be able to answer.

Is this a Sandbox style game, set in London. With marker missions.
So we can be free to explore at will.
or
Is this a progressive level push, for the character to follow through checkpoints within London?

It gives me the impressions it's a Sandbox, but i'm not so sure.

Anybody?

I need to ask a question, and hopefully somebody who's been following the info will be able to answer.

Is this a Sandbox style game, set in London. With marker missions.
So we can be free to explore at will.
or
Is this a progressive level push, for the character to follow through checkpoints within London?

It gives me the impressions it's a Sandbox, but i'm not so sure.

Anybody?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491952&highlight=zombi+u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21GztGJUbI&feature=g-all-u

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Pass the crystal ball; I wanna see when Retro Studios new game is coming.

Top Bottom