• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev Diary

I can't see this game coming to any other console, Nintendo approached Ubisoft and asked them to make a mature title for the U. It wouldn't make a great deal of sense for them not to have an exclusivity clause in the contract.

And that pic with the street scene and the taxi on the right looks like concept art to me, same as the laundry room picture from the Nursery demo ages ago.

I wonder if this game is using the LyN Engine..? The lighting is very impressive as was the rim lighting in Red Steel 2. The same studio are using the LyN Engine for Beyond Good And Evil 2 I think so it would make sense.

majik13

I thought a while back that having your zombie appearing in other people's games would be pretty cool but that could be messed up by having male faces being submitted as female and vice versa. Or even children's or pet's heads on adult bodies lol. Would certainly go a long way to having a wide variety of different looking zombies.

Perhaps they could do that for the inevitable sequel..? I'm pretty sure if they've done it for this game we would have heard about it by now. And if they do decide to do it then it would be limited to your Friend list or even people in your own home. Would be very cool indeed if you had zombified people that you know lol.

I'd also like to see zombified children and pets tbh, although I guess the former in particular would be way too controversial lol. I mean, if you're playing a zombie apocalypse simulator you've got to have zombified kids, right..? :Oo

I remember Nintendo pulling scans of people's faces out of Perfect Dark because they didnt want players shooting depictions of real world people. I could see the same argument used against ZombiU for this feature.

Yup, they confirmed leaderboards a while back. They didn't go into any sort of detail about what they're based on though.

When they do the inevitable sequel I want it set in Paris. That's two Ubisoft games where you have to kill the English...I WANT REVENGE!!!!!!!

This game will end up coming to the other consoles anyway, either this game will be ported or when a sequel is made. Its Ubisoft. Well as long as it sells - as the best launch game it should.
I remember you were hoping for a port in another thread, now we are already set. And it's also the best launch game too, nice.

D-e-f-

Banned
I need to ask a question, and hopefully somebody who's been following the info will be able to answer.

Is this a Sandbox style game, set in London. With marker missions.
So we can be free to explore at will.
or
Is this a progressive level push, for the character to follow through checkpoints within London?

It gives me the impressions it's a Sandbox, but i'm not so sure.

Anybody?

It is neither. It's not an open world you can stumble through unhindered and it's also not a linearly progressing level-based game. There are locations you can travel to all over London from your hideout, those then act as levels kind of. Though what you do there or even where you go depends on who you decide to do missions for (there are 4 characters fighting for your attention) and depending on who you trust or align with, determines where you go or what you do there. You can also go back to wherever you want to hunt down someones survivor or look for any gear you might've missed.

An image of the map screen is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42231642&postcount=247

Can you actually lose the game? Like, can you run out of survivors like what they did with Aliens Infestation?

Survivors are infinite. Unless you play Survival Mode (unlocked after beating the game) which only gives you ONE survivor with whom you have to finish the game.

Yup, they confirmed leaderboards a while back. They didn't go into any sort of detail about what they're based on though.

They showed the leaderboards during the EU ND on 9/13.

see screencaps here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42231642&postcount=247

Great stuff, cheers for pointing that out!

That Survivor Mode is going to be insane lol. And the best thing is that every time you play the game the location of scares, number and location of zombies is going to be different. There's going to be plenty of replay value even before you take Survivor Mode into account.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hadn't watched the last Nintendo Direct EU on this game, so only just now learning that online zombified survivors will appear in your game outside of general multiplayer. Cool.

AndTAR

The survivors are randomly generated, so I don't think you ever run out.

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how many survivors one needs to go through before glaring similarities in appearance/intro animations/etc. start becoming obvious, then. If it happens after a couple dozens, or more like hundreds.

I do imagine they will design in a large number of different hero characteristics, of course, given the production values they seem to be aiming for.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cautiously optimistic about this one! So what is the ultimate objective of this game? Is it just to survive as long as possible or are there specific quests that needs to be completed?
It's quest-based. While trying to survive.

meta4

It's quest-based. While trying to survive.

Thank you! So are these infinite randomly generated quests like how Skyrim advertises or is there a fixed no of quests and the single player officially ends when the final quest is done.

after looking at the RE6 review thread I cannot help but think Ubisoft could have taken the Zombie crown if they spent a little more polish time on this game. It still remains to be seen how it turns out.

meta4

after looking at the RE6 review thread I cannot help but think Ubisoft could have taken the Zombie crown if they spent a little more polish time on this game. It still remains to be seen how it turns out.

Its still looking good. I think it looks polished enough and its a launch title after all. I am hyped.

D-e-f-

Banned
Loved what he says here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=R21GztGJUbI&v=B6RhqEbUlWQ

Cautiously optimistic about this one! So what is the ultimate objective of this game? Is it just to survive as long as possible or are there specific quests that needs to be completed?

Didn't you watch the second dev diary that is the sole reason for this thread?

There are 4 people who want you to do different things. Among them escaping London and finding a cure. Multiple endings depending on who you align yourself with.

meta4

Didn't you watch the dev diary that is the sole reason for this thread?

There are 4 people who want you to do different things. Among them escaping London and finding a cure. Multiple endings depending on who you align yourself with.

okay thanks! I just had a brief glance at the videos because I did not want any potential spoiler in any way. Prob could have just listened to the audio though. Interesting stuff then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There really does seem to be a lot of confusion as to how this game works. In part due to the muddled explanations from Ubisoft on game progression. But, from what we've heard, here's how I think ZombiU all comes together.

Mission Design / Story
- It is not truly open world, nor entirely free travel. Instead, there are several levels/zones connected by sewers and other exits.
- You can move between levels/zones via sewers, and these exit points.
- There is no singular protagonist. You instead embody various randomly generated 'survivors'.
- These survivors are lead through the 'story' by four characters, communicating via radio and such. These characters drive the story, irrespective of what survivor you're playing as.
- These four core characters give the survivors missions/tasks that take place in the aforementioned zones, such as collecting objects and presumably killing shit. I assume we will visit zones multiple times.
- There is some kind of end game to work towards, following the missions.

Survivors / Abilities
- No singular protagonist = new survivor on each death.
- Survivors can upgrade weapon proficiencies and effectiveness by using said weapons often, think The Elder Scrolls.
- Weapons can be modified/upgrades for better damage, accuracy, etc by finding loot/goodies scattered throughout zones.
- If a survivor dies, they will take with them their weapon proficiencies and equipment. New survivor starts from scratch, story continues regardless.
- Zombified survivors exist within their respective zones, and can be killed to retrieve old equipment.
- Equipment can be stored in various safe houses by one survivor, and collected by other survivors (should the original survivor die).
- Changes made to zones are persistent. If one survivor unlocks a door, then dies, other survivors will find that door unlocked.
- Some degree of random generation to encounters and surprises in zones, ensuring not every survivor entering a zone will experience the same game.

Controls / Interactivity
- Basic controls not unlike any other dual analogue shooter. Move with one stick, aim with the other, shoot with buttons.
- Main TV screen represents your wider, first person view. GamePad represents intricate, focused view. Appears to emulate the difficulty of splitting your attention between the 'big picture' and smaller, fiddly stuff.
- Examples of the above: sorting through your backpack, picking locks, hitting switches, etc all take place on the GamePad.
- No ability to pause demands micromanagement between GamePad functions and using the big screen to continually observe your surroundings. EG: While picking a lock on the pad you will need to check the big screen to see if zombies are approaching, diverting attention between the two.
- Iron sight aiming appears on the main screen. Scoped weapons use GamePad for aiming, and gyro controls, to simulate a separate 'looking down a scope' perspective.

Social Networking
- Social networking features, not unlike those found in Demon's/Dark Souls.
- Able to create and leave icon/image based messages in zones. These can be discovered/read by your own survivors, and will also be randomly uploaded to other games, appearing in another players zone.
- Zones will occasionally download zombified survivors from someone else's game, placing them in your own zones, with the equipment the other player lost.
- Downloaded zombified survivors will display a survivor score, allowing you to gauge their skill.
- Leaderboards and stat tracking allow you to view your various survivors and their performance, and compare them to others online.

Single/Multi Modes
- Normal campaign allows for infinite survivors.
- A true survivor mode, unlocked by beating the above, grants you only one survivor to finish the game with. Die and you have to start from the very beginning of the 'story' again.
- Various local (not social networking) multiplayer modes, including one where a player using the GamePad plays the game like an RTS, controlling zombie types and spawn points on the map for other players to combat.

Its still looking good. I think it looks polished enough and its a launch title after all. I am hyped.

true, I've been keeping an eye on this although horror games are not my cut of tea. I don't really find Zombies to be something scary these days because they are everywhere lol. so it has been interesting to see a new take on these games taking shape

EatChildren

I think I remember pistol iron sights in a video, but in all honesty I could be just filling in the gaps myself.

Cheers. Corrected.

i believe the 'ironsights' are performed by using the gamepad, the gyros and it's screen to aim. i have seen this done with weapons other than scoped, i'm 95% sure.

Great summary EC!

I'm pretty sure I remember someone from Ubisoft saying a while back that at that time the single player campaign was 17 hours long too, although I suspect that has probably changed since it was mentioned. And I guess that with this game in particular that everyone's playthrough time, or even your own playthrough times if playing more than once, will be radically different depending on how many times you die. One thing that a lot of people haven't considered, and I myself didn't consider until it was pointed out to me, is that every time you die you make the enemy stronger! :Oo

Still no reply to my question on the Ubisoft ZombiU forum regarding the crosshairs, I'm really hoping they're going to give you the option to turn them off, although that will probably make the game more than a little insane lol.

D-e-f-

Banned
Great summary EC!

I'm pretty sure I remember someone from Ubisoft saying a while back that at that time the single player campaign was 17 hours long too, although I suspect that has probably changed since it was mentioned.

It originally was an 8-ish hour game. Last word was they were at 15-20 hours for the single player.

It originally was an 8-ish hour game. Last word was they were at 15-20 hours for the single player.

Brilliant, that's more like it! Single player campaigns for titles have been way too short this gen. Your looking at an average 5 or 6 hours these days thanks to online multiplayer implementation, I'd much rather have a decent playthrough time on a single player campaign than an online multiplayer game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think with everything we've learned recently and what we've known before that Zombie U is now my most anticipated Wii U game of the launch window.

Still freaking serious about God Save The Queen, though. Better be in the game! :)

I like how you're already calling the game unpolished despite only having seen demos and it not being released for another month+

D-e-f-

Banned
In one of the screens here, the A button is on the bottom of the diamond, but all of the images I've seen of the gamepad itself has the Japanese button layout. Is NA getting a button layout like the 360's controller?

nonsense. that's just a screw up in the trailer.

DGRE

Banned
I can't wait for the next Dev diary, but I just realized it was a month and a half between the 1st and 2nd ones. =/

I think with everything we've learned recently and what we've known before that Zombie U is now my most anticipated Wii U game of the launch window.

Still freaking serious about God Save The Queen, though. Better be in the game! :)

Yup, I can see this being the U's killer app. A definite system seller. Last time I looked at the thread asking about what titles we were getting for launch day NSMB U had 200 people getting it, Nintendo Land (I think) had 196 people getting it and ZombiU was in third place with 128 people getting it. This title is going to be huge imo.

And like I said above I want the sequel set in Paris so us Brits can get a bit of revenge lol.

On another note I've always wanted someone to do a Day of The Triffids game, the book and telly series from 1981 were both excellent. Have just seen that they remade the series in 2009, am going to have to check that out.

Top Bottom