• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev Diary

Antagon

The Wii U should be able to do at least 4xmsaa at 720p without any problems because of the 32mb of edram, right?

Probably won't be that clean, but still pretty good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think Ubisoft has ever released a screenshot that wasn't downsampled from a higher resolution with AA and AF.

CaVaYeRo

Played the game some days ago, it's not going to look that good. Gameplay ideas and environment exploration is awesome though. Day 1 for me :D

Enkidu

Can you do the same with videos with the same result?
Sure you can, it's just a matter of rendering the game at a higher resolution and then downsample it. It's what people are doing to get decent AA in Dark Souls for example.

None of the zombi u media shows any jaggies. The Wii U is a more powerful system then the HD twins, so running at 720p with a good amount of AA at 30 fps is not unrealistic.
You won't get that IQ. It's hard to obtain in PC games unless you do some really good AA and/or downsampling. The shot is most definitely cleaned up. Now the videos looks absolutely doable outside of the pre-rendered CG stuff.

120605_10am_ZU_E3_Screenshot_BricklaneDay_NOLOGO.jpg

not a bullshot as far as I can see. everything within this is easily doable prebaked lighting, fog, some port processing effects.

if we are seriously going to get some foggy daytime I will have to jump in

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm baffled that so many are suddenly excited for this game just because there were some fancier looking cinematic images in a trailer. Goes to show you that all that trailer money that companies spend isn't wasted and actually works.

It's also funny how we have to spend so much time trying to find things that are "wrong" with a game or its visuals just so we can justify not buying it or saying it's garbage.

*smh*

Can you still aim using the gyro?

No. You never could. The only part where you use gyro to aim is with zoomed in weapons (sniper, crossbow).

My first gif ever :eek:
gifetrbt.gif

what did you use to make the gif?

What about tablet + WiiMote and Nunchunk. The only difference would be that your wiimote would be used for aiming and shooting

People keep bringing this up. I don't see how they don't realize what a terrible design idea that is.

I would love that, COD Black Ops 2 has it

It would be even more realistic, in real live you would have to put down your weapon or hold your weapon while your looking in your bad, so doing that with the Wiimote numchuck/WiiU pad can work too. Options are so great thank you Nintendo.

Realistic in concept but terrible in practice.

Although supposedly the staff changed a fair amount from the time it was KF to when it became Zombi U so maybe not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42417929&postcount=9529

they expanded. the main people are still the same.

see here:

I'll just ignore this being a wasteland and keep posting then :D

Some ZombiU credits from linkedin:

(dates refer to Product Manager's Nicolas Bouchet time of involvement)

ZombiU

August 2011 to Present

Team Members: M. Gabrielle Shrager (Writer/Story Designer), Jean-Philippe Caro (Creative Director), Florent Sacre (Co-creative Director, Art Director), Guillaume Brunier (Producer), Mathieu Audrain, Alexandre Carlotti (Audio Director), Antony Johnston (Writer), Guillaume Sauveur (Lead Gameplay Programmer), Nicolas Bouchet (Product Manager)

KILLER FREAKS FROM OUTER SPACE

August 2010 to October 2011

Team Members: Nicolas Bouchet (Product Manager), Florent Sacre (Co-creative Director, Art Director), Guillaume ARVIEU (Marketing Artist), Loic Gounon (Brand Manager), Jean-Philippe Caro (Co-creative Director), Guillaume Brunier (Producer)

Killler Freaks (separate entry)

Florent Sacre (Co-creative Director, Art Director) (was lead artist on Beyond Good & Evil)
Co-creative director, Art director / ZOMBIU (WiiU)
November 2011 – present
Co-creative director, Art director / Killer freaks from outer space (WiiU)
October 2009 – November 2011

Mounir Radi
January 2011 – Present Lead Content Designer on ZombiU

Alexandre Carlotti
ZOMBIU: Audio Director - Audio Producer - Associate Producer
(worked on Rayman Origins, From Dust, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, PoP Sands of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)

Mathieu Audrain
Level Design / Content Director

don't know why I looked that up.

I find it weird how those timeframes aren't consistently referring to the same window in terms of the Killer Freaks/ZombiU switch.

Yep, he did say that. And i'm the first person who would welcome a jaggyless game. Still, that screen.. it's hard to believe it will be THAT clean.
In fact... i'm almost certain that it won't.

It won't, with all the post processing on, the image will never bee that clean (dust on the screen, vignetting, etc...)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Absolutely, and that gif amaze me not for graphics (also, and we'll see if some daily scenario will be that good in terms of lights as I think) but for the atmosphere...

anyone who has only seen the gif needs to watch the video when they get a chance. it looks a lot more plausible and videogamey in the full resolution video. still impressive yes, but not bullshotty. probably the most impressive part in motion was the palace interior bit.

Seriously; its not that visually impressive - its how the elements come together that make it look great! The buildings look well fronted, and not flat like in some games (real looking windows, look 'alive' so to speak - like a city should even if its filled with the dead).

The business of the street:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjzCjyuqVU&feature=player_detailpage#t=116s

Theres nothing new or special there. Its just well put together.

People are really reaching to complain about this; its not at all special power wise - its the hard work of the developer to create an atmospheric game. Not sure what there is to bitch about!

D-e-f-

Banned
People are really reaching to complain about this; its not at all special power wise - its the hard work of the developer to create an atmospheric game. Not sure what there is to bitch about!

A Wii U launch game from Ubisoft isn't allowed to look good or be good. The resistance must try their hardest to deny any hint of quality!

It fucking pisses me off that all everyone ever talks about with launch games is graphics. So tired of that shit.

jaaz

How refreshing to hear a clearly educated developer talk about how much time they are putting in to create a compelling STORY in a game.

But the visuals aren't bad either! Someone please GIF that shot of the zombie stumbling down the stairs in Buckingham Palace. Awesome.

A Wii U launch game from Ubisoft isn't allowed to look good or be good. The resistance must try their hardest to deny any hint of quality!

It fucking pisses me off that all everyone ever talks about with launch games is graphics. So tired of that shit.

I wonder why AssCreed 3 gets away without being called Red Steel, I'm guessing it is the exclusive thing that makes this game the focus for this moniker although this is not from the Red Steel team

Phazon

gifetrbt.gif

Played this part at a press wii u event and it really looks that. Maybe not the best looking game, but it has tons of atmosphere. And for me, that's what got me interested in the game when I saw it.

I wish I knew London it would be nice to recognize a street. Not those iconic places everyone knows but just a corner a street like the daytime pic

I like the story details in the video, I was scared it wasnt going to have any interesting story, but seeing different important characters trying to live in London and interacting with you makes me feel something like the first Biosock, and if they can carry the stroy well with them it could be amazing.

masud

Banned
The game looks good, but you can kinda see where they spliced in some cgi. (helicopter scene for example). Don't know if I'll get this, I don't usually like horror games. Definitely looks high quality though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
120605_10am_ZU_E3_Screenshot_BricklaneDay_NOLOGO.jpg

not a bullshot as far as I can see. everything within this is easily doable prebaked lighting, fog, some port processing effects.

I think that's a bullshot. It's perfect. No AA. No anisotropic filtering errors. If it definitely looks like that in motion then I'll purchase it day one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No. You never could. The only part where you use gyro to aim is with zoomed in weapons (sniper, crossbow).

When it was the crazy alien game. I saw some footage where they were aiming just using the gyro. I hope they add that in as a feature.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think that's a bullshot. It's perfect. No AA. No anisotropic filtering errors. If it definitely looks like that in motion then I'll purchase it day one.

Seriously, do you care about graphics that much? You will never notice these tiny things while you're actually playing the game and trying not to get yourself killed.

When it was the crazy alien game. I saw some footage where they were aiming just using the gyro. I hope they add that in as a feature.

That was very likely just there to show off the "Hey you can look around in 360°!" capabilities during early stages. They realized that's terrible as a main control scheme and reduced it to precision long distance aiming which is where it makes the most sense (see Ocarina of Time 3D)

cyberheater

Seriously, do you care about graphics that much?
Yes. Very much so. That's why I've got a PS360 and a PC.

That was very likely just there to show off the "Hey you can look around in 360°!" capabilities during early stages. They realized that's terrible as a main control scheme and reduced it to precision long distance aiming which is where it makes the most sense (see Ocarina of Time 3D)

It can't be that bad. They already include gyro controls for some weapons. Why not have a option for the user to use that mode for all firearms. I'd love to play like that.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It can't be that bad. They already include gyro controls for some weapons. Why not have a option for the user to use that mode for all firearms. I'd love to play like that.

Revelations for the 3DS and Golden Abyss for Vita proved that Gyro controls can provide a very accurate and compelling shooting experience when it is combined with analog control. But, I believe such a control method needs to have the action ON the controller to be an intuitive experience, and ZombiU obviously can't do that the whole game. That's why I believe such a control method is better off specifically being used for long distance weapons, because in those moments the gameplay switches to Gamepad.

Hoodbury

While I'm not going to defend them because I agree with you on the subject; but we have to think about the context and timing of the thread and other topics. We are pre launch of the game and of the system itself that the game is going to be on. All we have besides some press events is screen shots and some videos. So of course people will focus on what they see in those screens and videos.

Once the game is released there will of course still be some graphic debates, but I would hope that the majority of the discussions will transfer over to the gameplay and overall quality of the game itself.

But for now, people are going to over analyze to death every little screen shot, video, gif, etc. I don't think you can really stop them.

CaVaYeRo

You played a version of the game a few days ago, which could have been several months old.

You're right. But Gamescom build, graphics were 80%. They told me they were working on aliasing after that. Frankfurt build looked pretty much final. I don't see why the game will look much different come Nov 30th.

Then again, experience looks really cool (if a bit awkward). And for beautiful games, I choose Mario and Rayman, period.

D-e-f-

Banned
That's why I believe such a control method is better off specifically being used for long distance weapons, because in those moments the gameplay switches to Gamepad.

Agreed. It's perfect for sniping or similar, well-planned precision shots but would anyone really want to spin around trying to aim the pistol at multiple enemies in quick succession? I highly doubt that.

But for now, people are going to over analyze to death every little screen shot, video, gif, etc. I don't think you can really stop them.

It wouldn't be as bad if that were all that so many people focus on. There's a lot of stuff out there about the game, all of it pretty fascinating and unique enough to warrant talking about. Graphics definitely shouldn't be ignored. I for one loved the shadow, smoke and fire ever since the first E3 gameplay came out while I believe the player characters look pretty terrible. But those things aren't gonna make or break a game. That's what puts me off.

You're right. But Gamescom build, graphics were 80%. They told me they were working on aliasing after that. Frankfurt build looked pretty much final. I don't see why the game will look much different come Nov 30th.

Then again, experience looks really cool (if a bit awkward). And for beautiful games, I choose Mario and Rayman, period.

Polish happens last minute. Don't pass judgments on launch titles before they're done. Maybe they couldn't pull it off, maybe they're squeezing it in there right now with the clock ticking. Whatever build you played definitely wasn't final. The EU Nintendo Direct footage showed timestamps on the stats screen from early September in the game which means that's the latest possible build they had. That still could've been a mid-to-late August build that they happened to capture the footage from. I don't think they would waste their time making so many different builds for each event.

cyberheater

Revelations for the 3DS and Golden Abyss for Vita proved that Gyro controls can provide a very accurate and compelling shooting experience when it is combined with analog control. But, I believe such a control method needs to have the action ON the controller to be an intuitive experience, and ZombiU obviously can't do that the whole game. That's why I believe such a control method is better off specifically being used for long distance weapons, because in those moments the gameplay switches to Gamepad.

I'm hoping there is going to be a least one fps on WiiU that will allow you to play using the WiiUpad screen and using the gyro to aim. I don't mind looking like a complete idiot twirling around my living room shooting things.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm hoping there is going to be a least one fps on WiiU that will allow you to play using the WiiUpad screen and using the gyro to aim. I don't mind looking like a complete idiot twirling around my living room shooting things.

As in the Killer freaks demo?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Me either. :p

Like I said before, Revelations and Golden Abyss were amazing with this control method, and I recommend that you try them out if you haven't already. As for WiiU, it seems like Black Ops 2 could use such a control method considering it utilizes off-TV play, but I'm assuming it doesn't. :/

cyberheater

Me either. :p

Like I said before, Revelations and Golden Abyss were amazing with this control method, and I recommend that you try them out if you haven't already. As for WiiU, it seems like Black Ops 2 could use such a control method considering it utilizes off-TV play, but I'm assuming it doesn't. :/

It'll happen sooner or later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE Anti-aliasing: Thing is, with this game, there is a lot of shit smeared across the screen. They're going for that gritty, muddy vibe, and thus have a ton of filtering effects going on. Not just various filters splatted on the 'lens' which you play the game through, but also various post processing effects. I'm fairly certain it uses chromatic aberration at times, which further distorts the image, along with quite a bit of blur.

All this together alone does a pretty great job of obscuring aliasing and graphical blemishes. Throw on some solid FXAA, blur of which won't really be noticeable given how much post processing blur is already being used, and you could probably clean up the image tremendously.

But shots like this:

Are the ones that look very impressive, and thus most bullshotty. Blur is at an absolute minimum, if not completely removed. Instead the scene is rendered with anti-aliasing not unlike super sampling, evident in how crystal clear textures and edges are over distance. The round sign in the distance is a good example. The edges are 100% perfect.

I think ZombiU looks good, but I certainly don't expect it to look that good.

Effect

Yes. I thought it looked really cool.

I was hoping that would be carried over. Was pretty cool when that was described originally. I would think with the slower pacing ZombiU has it would work better then the faster gameplay that was going to be offered with Killer Freaks. Would like to see one game at least try it at some point in the Wii U's life cycle.

I cant help but think they would have been better off launching on multiple consoles.

It uses the screen decently, but personally I wouldnt care if they just picture-in-picture'd it on the TV screen for consoles or PC.

There is limited supply of Wii U and it looks like its gonna be months before they become easy to find (based on limited production and high demand eg launching with mario game). There are some huge launch releases like AC3, Black Ops, mario which combined with the $350 being the best value (I would get that one despite not being interested in Nintendoland) buyers face some tough choices. I can't see this game selling more than low hundreds of thousands.

I was surprised how well dead island sold, which was also RPG mechanics, zombie based and they created a very similar style of slow mo trailer. maybe they plan on releasing on other consoles next year in a quieter release window

Top Bottom