• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Makonero

You know, we complained about how review scores are really slanted towards the top. If a "7 is average" instead of a 5, then why even go as low as one or two? So even though I want this game to be a success, I don't fault the reviewer for giving the game a score that suggests less than average if that's what his experience was.

Unless of course he's actually still going by the "7 is average" scores.

After watching the video and reading the review from Mr. McGee, I can understand some of his complaints, but it's surprising how to many it isn't apparent that the reviewer had played himself into a corner through a one-dimensional mind set. It was actually good to know that being over-prepared can lead to pacing/enjoyment issues.

The gamepad thing is going to be a toss up. Some will embrace it and find it adds to the experience, while others will find it distracting and detractive. Personally, I don't need Half-Life physics puzzles or really puzzles at all to enjoy a survival horror game, but that barricade minigame just seems pointless on the gamepad considering all the other features.

However, looking at GameMasters and ONM, those scores seem relatively high in a game where I have noticed a number of glitches and behavioral issues with the A.I. It's common for reviewers to move past issues if the rest of the game holds up, but it sounds like the "respawn" system is flawed in continuation and it seems easy for the pacing to fall apart for overly wary players.

Ought to be an interesting evening regarding any discussion of this title.

Edit: I'd also like to add that another game that received a 4.5 from GameSpot, Resident Evil 6, was far from deserving a score. It makes me wonder if game reviewers are approaching the review system in the same way that users on Metacritic do; the score do not represent the game as a whole, but rather to bring attention to the issues they had in hopes of patches/improved future products.

brainpann

The game could be bad but I'm not gonna take that particular Gamespot reviewer's word because he almost always reviews fighting games....not shooters or horror titles.

The game could be bad but I'm not gonna take that particular Gamespot reviewer's word because he almost always reviews fighting games....not shooters or horror titles.

okay is there some kind of offsite mission control where you guys are getting these talking points from

Glass Joe

And that's also where the actual text complaints don't really make it sound like a 4.5 when the only serious complaint is "boring" combat. No word about the game being broken or having serious issues other than narrative dissonance, the aforementioned boring combat and a general disinterest in the gamepad features while the multiplayer gets a lot of praise. how that amounts to a 4.5 with the word "poor" attached to it is beyond me.

There are various problems that could be cited that were apparent from the released footage and other reviews coming out but they aren't. So regardless if you care about the game or not, there should be some serious concerns regarding the quality of the review itself.

Yeah. Nothing like poor framerate, bad controls, terrible bugs, or crappy graphics were even mentioned. In fact those aspects can all be inferred as good, since he said the multiplayer mode was great. Maybe he just doesn't like the game because it's not his style, kind of how a stuffy movie critic might not like a horror movie or comedy. I'll just check in tomorrow, I was really looking forward to the game.

Unless I heard him wrong, I still can't get over the fact that the Gamespot guy said guns/ammo are more scarce than the cricket bat.

Don't you always have the bat once you get it???

NFreak

The repetitive attack animations look like the pits. Especially without more melee variety.

They should have taken more notes from Dead Rising regarding melee options.

That would have definitely been cool, especially the way you can create different weapons using different items in Dead Rising 2.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bklbh.jpg

Heading out the door to rehab but I just wanted to comment on this.

First of all, he has reviewed other survival horror games. You can see his 7.0 scores of Silent Hill titles in that list. Second of all, he gave DEAR ESTHER an 8.0 - you can't get a slower paced game than that, nor one as experimental.

Third of all, trying to dismiss someone's clearly earnest opinion of a game you and others have not played is really just something that one doesn't even need to criticize - it speaks on its own for the absurdity it is. If you want to try to pick and choose someone's "legitimate opinions" as long as they are positive enough to meet your metric of a game you never played, I think you'll find the slope cannot be more slippery.

Anyway, thread is hilarious so far since the review. Good way to send me off. See you on Tuesday guys!

ElRenoRaven

So finally on PC and got to watch the Video Review of his. Seems that it's just not his type of game. I'm still getting it and I'm going to enjoy it. I have no doubt of that. So don't let the review bother you folks.

codhand

Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek

ZombiU reviews will be all over the map tomorrow, I predict. We'll have a Quick Look tonight, but no review. Still no online functionality.

Think that's safe to say.

D-e-f-

Banned
Btw, there's a demo coming to the eShop "soon" (whatever that means) so everyone can judge for themselves if the game is for them or not.

I lurked quite a while in this forum to know that one bad score given to a game is the score that is praised as the only truth by all "trolls" ... but a gamespot review? I mean ... there even is an edge score that is actually decent. I always thought that edge scores are more likely the way to go, i even can't remember a time when a gamespot score war something that meant anything.

Well whatever, still buying the game, for the fact alone that this one is actually a real survival (!) horror game.

E: Sorry EatChildren, didn't see your post ... i think it was posted while i was typing.

brainpann

I'm not saying he is wrong or not entitled to his opinion, but I want to read a review from someone with more experience in the genre. Just for clarity, I dont give much heed to reviews from platform specific websites either.

Twinduct

Has there been footage or mention of different melee weapons? I honestly refuse to believe they would only have one melee weapon and like 10 guns.

Majukun

on the one hand some of the complains seems really ridicolous counting we're talking about a survival horror and not an action game with zombies like dead island,but on the other hand most of them seems spot on if true.

Ein Bear

Okay guys, here you go. Quick and dirty so apologies for any spelling mistakes. Hope this transcript is okay - just tell me if it's against the rules and I'll take it down.

Edge said:
ZombiU is a smart and engaging exploration of what Nintendo's strange new machine can muster. Historically, third party releases in a console launch day have been chequered and timid affairs made by inexperienced teams fearful of losing their footing on unknown terrain. When Ubisoft Montpellier's ZombiU works in smart union with its host console, however, it frequently delights.

London has been ravaged by a zombie plague, and the shambling husks of its businessmen, Beefeaters and tracksuit-garbed working classes make for tough opposition. A single zombie must be dispatched with five or six cricket bat blows to the head, and even then a final coup de grace is required once the creature's on the floor. When faced with a crowd, running and slamming doors behind you is often your best option. Ammo is scarce, health depletes in worryingly large chunks and the virus can be passed on with little warning.

As a survivor (or rather, a sequence of survivors), you're guided by the voice of an ex-squaddie known as the Prepper - a Yorkshireman who chunters from a tinny radio withing your GamePad. Operating from a central safehouse deep in the London Underground, your quest is an odd mix of survival objectives and discovering the overarching intentions of the followers of Elizabethan occultis and academic John Dee. You must carefully tread through zombie-packed hubs, some tourist spots and a few housing estates. Throughout it all, your primary objective isn't just the plot MacGuffin you're after, but to also find savepoints and manhole shortcuts that will make your progress secure.

ZombiU's gloomy colour palette isn't the only area of the game that's deeply in hock to Dark Souls: death for your character is final, so your first task after respawning is always to tramp back through areas to reclaim your lost gear. Armed with a mere six pistol rounds and a willow bat, respawning is a grisly process that invariably involves murdering your former zombie self. It's a somewhat lightweight variant of what Hidetaka Miyazaki acolytes have come to adore, yes, but this trick can help the game ratchet up to a remarkable level of tension. Fear of lost ground and fear of losing your gradually levelling character's abilities keeps you alert, involved and deep-set within a survival mindset that an autosave safety net would dispel.

It's Wii U's GamePad that conspires to make this game impossible on other platforms, it's subtle art being to divert your attention from the primary screen. When you, for example, reorganise your inventory, you much touch-and-drag weapons, health packs and molotovs into easy-access slots on its screen, but up on the main display you're still vulnerable. As such, whether you're picking locks or inputting puzzle codes, you're forever worriedly peeking back up to the main screen to check the shadows. Very often those shadows move.

Ubisoft Montpellier has been given free reign to experiment with the new hardware, and it's relished every moment. ZombiU makes the relationship between TV and GamePad screens fell fresh, and - displaying a clear awareness of horror gaming conventions - it toys with you brilliantly. Red herring clues, twitching corpses and suspect doors all play into its manipulation and contribute to sophisticated shocks. The GamePad's new way to play also presents new ways for you to be played, and the resulting suprises are often delightful.

As you move through the game, you develop a routine of survival: you turn off your light to let it recharge, you scan the area for loot and danger by raising the pad to the TV in a riff on Arkham City's Detective Mode, and you knock the head off anything that looks like it could cause mischief in the future. Beyond that, it's crowd control: dividing, conquering and nailing doors shut in the face of zombies, whether you're negotiating a party in a block of flats that's taken a turn for the undead or the Tower of London's corriders.

The trouble with ZombiU comes when you go off-piste - those moments when you're thrown from the ribbon of the game's missions, or die deep down withing an unscanned area without a saved shortcut to easily retrace your steps. This issue is underlined when, just before the final act, the game forces you into a needless and poorly explained treasure hunt through previously explored environments. The strange dead end that confused you the first time round suddenly makes sense (and the Dark Souls-style symbol messages left by other players might water down the frustration), but it shines a light on the fact that ZombiU is a lot less fun when it can't deal out fresh shocks and surprises.

The game's strong feeling of earthly realism, meanwhile, is also sadly lost as it continues. At first, threat and variety are ramped up by zombies growing faster and more reactive, and the occasional policeman in body armour. Beyond this, however, enemies break with what a purist might call Romero canon and the game takes an unwelcome lurch away from horror and into fantasy. A late-game forary into an arena scenario, meanwhile, is another instance of the needs of the game pulling out of synch with the needs of the narrative. The use of explosive zombies, which ignite upon a thwack of willow against gas tank, genuinely feel unfair with the odds stacked so high.

The terrors of the horde that has descended on London come with caveats, then. ZombiU, however, is a title that will infuse impulse buyers, early adopters and Nintendo diehards with relief and appreciation for the novel gameplay that Wii U can and will continue to provide. It's a confident start, if not an end in itself - one that makes us eagerly anticipate where Montpellier will take it's ideas next. [7]

RkOwnage

That video review made me want to try it more. I don't know, but the reviewer sounded amateur and uninterested, so I can't really consider this a legit source. Definitely looking forward to the Giantbomb Quick look tonight.

Still picking it up, it CAN'T be worse than Dead Island, am i rite? (oh, everyone here likes Dead Island it looks like, whoops)

Teknoman

As you move through the game, you develop a routine of survival: you turn off your light to let it recharge, you scan the area for loot and danger by raising the pad to the TV in a riff on Arkham City's Detective Mode, and you knock the head off anything that looks like it could cause mischief in the future. Beyond that, it's crowd control: dividing, conquering and nailing doors shut in the face of zombies, whether you're negotiating a party in a block of flats that's taken a turn for the undead or the Tower of London's corriders.

This part seems pretty cool. Especially that you can prevent zombies from getting up in the future.

Fuck yeah ExciteTruck. And ExciteBots. They both ruled so hard. I'd love a quick and dirty Wii U sequel. Maybe on the eShop?

They don't get enough love. :(

Didnt play bots, but I think I played truck more than anything Wii launch. Well that and Zelda.

elfinke

A lot of what was said during that review are all things I've thought at one stage or another while reading or watching previews of this game. Some neat ideas mired by a lot of blurgh mechanics and implementations thereof as well as technical hitches. Certainly a long way away from a system seller in my books :/

It'll be interesting to read the player base feedback over the next week, for if 2012 has shown us nothing else, it's that critical reviews and player reviews are at times diametrically opposed for a whole myriad of reasons.

prwxv3

Oh man that Gamespot review kind of worries me but it seems like all the reviewer wants throughout the video review is more action..... last I checked that's not exactly a staple of the survival horror genre. I'll pick up the game regardless but hopefully the game doesn't disappoint.

From the review it just sounds like the more action parts of the game (multiplayer) were executed well while the survival parts are not executed very well.

They don't get enough love. :(

It's not fair for Excitebots, they announced it like a month before release T_T... and it wasn't even an "announcement" at all, they just put up a list of upcoming games and Excitebots was on it and everybody just goes "Wait what was that last one?"

Didnt play bots, but I think I played truck more than anything Wii launch. Well that and Zelda.

You should! Bots is sooo much better, easily the best racing game on the Wii. So much intense fun.

Teknoman

It's not fair for Excitebots, they announced it like a month before release T_T... and it wasn't even an "announcement" at all, they just put up a list of upcoming games and Excitebots was on it and everybody just goes "Wait what was that last one?"

You should! Bots is sooo much better, easily the best racing game on the Wii. So much intense fun.

Plan to at some point.

Sanctuary

Edit: I'd also like to add that another game that received a 4.5 from GameSpot, Resident Evil 6, was far from deserving a score. It makes me wonder if game reviewers are approaching the review system in the same way that users on Metacritic do; the score do not represent the game as a whole, but rather to bring attention to the issues they had in hopes of patches/improved future products.

"Far from"? Far as in it should have gotten at least a 5.0? RE6 was pretty awful for a survival horror game, and pretty third rate for the TPS that it wished it was.

Top Bottom