• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Crossdressing and Drag Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to GAF's Official Crossdressing And Drag Thread!

This topic was created in order to give GAF's resident crossdressers, drag kings/queens, and anyone interested in gender-nonconformity a safe and focused place to talk about crossdressing and drag. This is not a debate topic; we don’t particularly care if the sight or idea of a man in a dress makes you queasy.

What is a crossdresser?

A crossdresser is often a man or a woman- yes, they do it to- who dons the clothing of their opposite gender in order to physically express their gender identity, to feel comfortable, or even to engage in their sexual desires. Crossdressers don't dress up to “trick/trap” people, and it's bigoted to assume that they would even want to.

Crossdressing and being trans are not the same thing!

Crossdressing individuals are usually cisgender gender-nonconforming people who are comfortable with the gender identity they were assigned at birth.
While many trans folks discover themselves through the act of crossdressing or drag these things don't exclusively correlate with one another; understand this, trans equals gender identity (inside) and crossdressing/drag equals gender expression (outside).

Crossdressing is not an effective or recommended way to determine someone's sexual orientation!

While there certainly are a sizable amount of queer crossdressers there are a lot more straight ones; gender expression doesn't determine a person's sexual orientation, gender and sexuality are separate entities.

What is Drag? What are Drag Queens and Kings?

Drag is a varied form of queer nonconforming gender-expression mixed with creative expression; it's origins lie squarely within the LGBT community.
Despite most queens and kings being gender-nonconforming cis queer men and women anybody can participate in drag. There are straight boys who are drag queens, there are gender queer individuals who are drag queens/kings, there are trans women who are drag queens/kings, and there are cis women who are drag queens (often referred to as faux/bio-queens)

Despite what you may think, drag isn't done for the sole purpose of being a funny goofball or a socially observant performer/activist, this is actually a common misconception even among LGBTQIA individuals. People express themselves through drag for a variety of reasons, and one of the most common is gender expression; drag often serves as an accepting and safe space for queer folks to transgress the rigid gender roles of our society.

There are many different styles of drag that people express themselves with.
For example, there is:

Fishy Drag - A drag queen style in which a queen tries her very best to look and express herself like a convincing cisgender woman. Fishy queens can be quite glamorous, but they’re often more "toned down" than most queens in order to be convincing. Examples:
tumblr_nb6q5pTrmM1qdwdbqo5_250.gif

High Drag - these are probably the super exaggerated uber-feminine Rupaul-esque queens you’re thinking of when you hear the word “drag queen”; they generally have traits such as exaggerated hourglass figures (big hips and breast), long painted nails, expensive glittery dresses/gowns, lots of makeup, and super tall high heels. Some are camp, and some are pure glam. Examples:

Skag/Bear Drag - A genre of queens who pair masculine traits like bushy beards, large muscles, stocky bodies, or "beer guts" with feminine clothing and makeup. These kinds of queens don’t usually try to hide traditionally masculine features. Examples:
gracetowers.jpg

Pageant- These are queens that generally compete in big expensive lavish beauty pageants, and they generally go for a very fishy/convincing dolled up look. These queens are quite serious about their style (which they should be seeing as pageantry is quite expensive and time consuming), so don't expect them to be the funniest girls in the room. Example:

Comedy/Camp - these queens are probably about as recognizable as "High Drag" queens to most people. These queens generally rely on humor and social commentary in their acts. Their makeup and clothing styles can range from the clownish to fishy, but a sizable chunk of these queens aren't really worried about being the most beautiful woman in the room.

Genderfuck Drag - a genre of drag queens who play with gender in a very artsy, androgynous, or abstract way. This genre can overlap with any of the previous genres that I have listed including “Camp”/comedy. Examples:

One thing you’ve got to realize is that a lot of kings/queens are not even aware of the idea that they’re making a social statement (or they don’t care) Some boys just like dresses and heels while some girls just really like suits and bowties; drag is one of the only ways for a non-cisnormative person to express themselves, be creative, and make money without being harassed.

How do I address these people?

You don't get to define people's pronouns, gender identity, or gender expression. Use the pronouns that the individual prefers, and call them by the identity that they say they are. If a cisgender boy in a dress prefers to be called she despite their male identity, you call them "she". However, it's generally polite and respectful to refer to all the subjects of this OP by the gender they're presenting as (Ex: Drag queens tend to present like women, therefore "she/her" is appropriate.)

Do not refer to any crossdresser, drag king, or drag queen that you meet as a "transvestite" unless they make it perfectly clear that they're okay with it.
Transvestite is a very clinical and outdated term that often carries strong connotations of fetishism and "sexual deviancy"; it effectively erases the diverse experiences and motivations of these gender-nonconforming individuals and collapses them into malformed stereotypes.

How do I get into to crossdressing or Drag?

Most people who are CDs or Drags started gender bending when they were young kids and it eventually became a big part of their lives. It’s not easy for life long CDs and lifelong CDs who become queens or even Kings to do what they do without offending some family members, some friends, and other people in society (especially when it comes to male or male bodied CDs, or DQs) Once you start to express yourself in a gender-atypical fashion you’ll end up facing discrimination, so be ready for anything.

If you want to start CDing or doing Drag but you're not confident you should probably talk to somebody about it first (preferably friends or family members who happen to be LGBTQIA. You can also talk to anyone in this thread or on GAF who volunteers to offer some kind of support), or contact a transgender support group in your area (they generally deal with everybody who falls under the label)

If you are confident and want to get started right away here are a few helpful tutorials, channels, and videos that'll help you get started.

Vera Wylde (MtF crossdressing tips)

Vera Wylde: Coming out as a CD

Makeup Tutorials
ViviennePinay Makeup Tutorial pt 1
ViviennePinay Makeup Tutorial pt 2
Skarlet Starlet Makeup Tutorial

Female wigs n stuff
Skarlet Starlet Ball and Chain wig review (mywigsandweaves.com)
Wigs By Vanity (beautiful natural-looking costly wigs that are specifically made for our giant lovely man heads :p)

Padding, corsets, and tucking!
Vera Wylde Tucking Tips
Vera Wylde Hip Padding and Cinching Tips
Petrilude (Drag Queen) Tucking Tutorial
Tutorial: How to Tuck AND Make a Gaff!(She is not a drag or a CD, She's a trans woman who presumably made this vid for other trans girls and for any DQs/CDs that stumble upon it)

Chest binding, making abs, creating beards, bushy eyebrows...OH MY!
Spikey Van Dykey's Breast Binding tutorial 2013
Drag King Binding
FtM Makeup Tutorial
Female to Male Makeup & Beard - A Drag King Tutorial

Edit:
Shoes!!!
Shoes of Prey - customs-made heels, booties, flats, etc. in almost every size.
It's a quality store, but it's a little pricey.

okno

I approve! I don't perform drag at the moment, but it's something I have a great deal of interest in and intend to do at some point (I'm a gay man, for reference.) I already own a pair of heels and know how to work the shit out of them, and have already picked out a name. One day! One day.

Mumei

Great OP. I was wondering if you'd made this and I'd just missed it somehow. I wasn't aware of the, er, taxonomy of drag queens / kings, either, though I recognize most of the examples.

Great OP. I was wondering if you'd made this and I'd just missed it somehow. I wasn't aware of the, er, taxonomy of drag queens / kings, either, though I recognize most of the examples.
I wasn't either. I now know what skag is... although at first glance the word looks offensive.

Great OP. I was wondering if you'd made this and I'd just missed it somehow.

Thanks!
Hahaha, I probably would have had it done sooner if it wasn't for my own laziness in making the banner (I'm a bit of a procrastinator); it also doesn't help that college had started rear it's grotesquely beautiful head when El_Gato and myself started planning this out.

I wasn't aware of the, er, taxonomy of drag queens / kings, either, though I recognize most of the examples
I wasn't either. I now know what skag is... although at first glance the word looks offensive.

Yeah, a lot of people are unaware of the fact that there are different category's of drag queens. Most people sort of just assume that they're all focused comedy and glamour (Though tbf, high drag + camp is a pretty common combo)
I'm not to sure if there are drag King genres though...they're, unfortunately, very invisible in our society thanks to the fact that what they do isn't as shocking to most westerners.
:p

A drag thread without the iconic Bianca Del Rio? Willam? Latrice Motherfucking Royale?

tumblr_maarjc6sTr1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

lol
Don't worry gurl, I corrected that mistake...though I'm not sure where to place Willaim his clothing style is fishy his makeup is somewhere between high drag/fishy, but...his persona is pure comedy/camp.
Willam's a special slutty snowflake.
:3

Rayis

I gotta thank Mama RuPaul for the existence of drag race and for teaching us how amazing drag is, it teaches the young gays who have never been exposed to drag or ballroom culture where we came from and teaches us that the queens of yore were the trailblazers and the reason why we have so much acceptance nowadays.

It also made me wanna try drag, cuz god, drag seems like incredibly fun.

Platy

I just want to say that Drag Kings have SERIOUS problems of creativity.

I never saw a REALLY caricature of masculinity Drag King .... He-Man meets Sabotage video caricature.

Can you explain the banner to me? Looks like all four are wearing feminine clothing. Why are one of the ladies in the right not wearing a suit or something?

Also question (not trying to sound offensive):
Despite stereotypes, the majority of MtF CDs happen to be straight
Despite most queens and kings being gay and Bi

Which is it? Genuinely curious.

Ezalc

For some reason I thought this thread already existed. Also awesome OP, never knew about the different kinds of drag. What would constitute a drag king though?

Zuly

Thank you for making this thread. While I knew about most of the types of CDs and drag queens, some I did not. Are there any other vastly unknown types not included in the OP? I would love to know more.

Platy

LONG STORY SHORT :
Dressing in woman clothes in your home - most straight

Working dressed as a glamurous Diva dubbing in a club - most gay or bi

For some reason I thought this thread already existed. Also awesome OP, never knew about the different kinds of drag. What would constitute a drag king though?

Drag King is the opossite of Drag Queen.

"Woman -> Man" instead of "man -> woman"

They usualy aim for something more James Jead and Elvis Presley

Can you explain the banner to me? Looks like all four are wearing feminine clothing. Why are one of the ladies in the right not wearing a suit or something?

Well, the King is in a giant pink suit because the motif is playing with the "Blue is for boys, pink is for girls" dynamic.
Those two ladies on the right are both men/boys/male bodied individuals (their "larger" proportions and relative tallness is supposed to signify that)
The reason why they're not more "obvious"-looking is because it's pretty easy to find unflattering and non-passable depictions and pictures of CDs in our society.

Also question (not trying to sound offensive):

No worries!

Drag (the crossdressing performance art) is generally dominated by queer performers, it has strong roots within the LGBTQIA community. Straight drag queens and kings are generally few and far between (But don't be fooled, they definitely exist)

On the flip side, the majority of people who crossdress (the act of wearing the opposite sex's clothes purely for comfort, gender expression, or some other reason that overwhelms artistic/self-expression) are straight men. That doesn't mean that only straight men crossdress, there are a lot of queer male crossdressers who aren't drags, and of course there are a bunch of crossdressing women (and I'm not just talking about women who wear jeans with their frilly blouses :p)

mantidor

Are we making LGBTQIAhmadinehad a thing? And the taxonomy there, oh my.

It might be a bit too much for me D: but I do find drag queens facinating, I do have fond memories of To Wong Foo and the Birdcage, and of course RuPaul and eventually Drag Race. Gender bending the other way freaked me out a lot when I was little though, I remember a magazine with some women with moustaches and it disturbed me beyond words, I remember my mom trying to explain it to me as simply a photo shoot and she actually laughed at the whole thing but I was horrified. Maybe I was just weird as a kid.

Ok the person with the purple blue background and black and blonde hair has me seriously confused in my pants but I think I like it.

who is that

Monocle

Speaking of Mathu, he nearly achieved Bayonetta's level of fierce swagger in Alaska's video.

That cameo made my day everything.

(BTW, Mathu does genderfuck drag and uses his own name like Ru and Willam do, so I hope I'm right in assuming that "he" instead of "she" fits here.)

Five

Banned
I feel like a hypocrite because I routinely cross dress, but I don't like drag very much. Is there a classification for that? :(

Monocle

I feel like a hypocrite because I routinely cross dress, but I don't like drag very much. Is there a classification for that? :(
Sounds like regular cross dressing. Drag is generally associated with some sort of heightened element. It's a form of performance art, after all. Even Courtney Act supplements her convincing look with glamorous and theatrical outfits.

I wore girls jeans back in high school. Bug that's because I was an emo kid with the scene hair and all that shabazz. I don't anymore, and they weren't so tight as to be squeezing my manhood, but god damn they were comfortable as hell.

Five

Banned
Sounds like regular cross dressing. Drag is generally associated with some sort of heightened element. It's a form of performance art, after all. Even Courtney Act supplements her convincing look with glamorous and theatrical outfits.

I guess so. Cool.

I thought maybe I was trans for a little while. I can't even remember the last time I've worn men's jeans or underwear. But I've given it a lot of thought over the past several months and I think I'm okay just being a cross-dresser. It can be super fun.

Fishy drag gives me the weirdest boner
I once dated a girl named Titania but it was pronounced like Tatiana. This is getting weird.

The good kind of weird.

#straightboyproblems
;)

Nothin' wrong with being attracted to androgynous, fishy, or uber-fem queens and CDs, fellas; it's actually a quite common and healthy attraction among straight men.

Also (for my fellow femmes), there are a lot of happy healthy Bi/Gay/queer men who are into feminine boys as well.
Don't let those "no femmes" men fool you into thinking that your only options are one night stands with curious straight boys who feel more comfortable having relations with feminine guys.

#straightboyproblems
;)

Nothin' wrong with being attracted to androgynous, fishy, or uber-fem queens and CDs fellas; it's actually a quite common and healthy attraction among straight men.
#totally ;)

100% straight guy here, but definitely not afraid to say I find some attractive.

Hell, I'm not even afraid to admit to have a slight man crush on Derek from Teen Wolf (GAF user Hours Left old avatar pic). I don't think there should be any shame in admitting if you find someone attractive whether that person is your same sex or not.

Tobe

wow this is pretty eye opening as a hetero man ive always found very confusing on how to adress the cd drag queen king life style? culture? how should i call it? still ty op, this is very informative and keep rocking.

Thank you for making this thread. While I knew about most of the types of CDs and drag queens, some I did not. Are there any other vastly unknown types not included in the OP? I would love to know more.

Hmmm...not many that I know of.
Most of the other styles are just combos of the main ones.
However...there is a style called "tranimal".
I'm not familiar with it, but going by the (not safe for life) google images it basically looks like someone gave genderfuck and bear/slag steroids, blended them together, and created a cavalcade of grotesque unsettling "anti-queen" imagery.
:/

Kater

Banned
However...there is a style called "tranimal".
I'm not familiar with it, but going by the (not safe for life) google images it basically looks like someone gave genderfuck and bear/slag steroids, blended them together, and created a cavalcade of grotesque unsettling "anti-queen" imagery.
:/
I never heard about tranimals. The images on Google that I could find seem to indicate that it's really just harmless artistic expression. Showing of the wild, beast-like side of yourself.

I know of the term anti-queen though, I think you mentioned it once (or maybe someone else?) in another thread. I can't recall it's meaning at the moment though.

#straightboyproblems
;)

Nothin' wrong with being attracted to androgynous, fishy, or uber-fem queens and CDs fellas; it's actually a quite common and healthy attraction among straight men.

Also (for my fellow femmes), there are a lot of happy healthy Bi/Gay/queer men who are into feminine boys as well.
Don't let those "no femmes" men fool you into thinking that your only options are one night stands with curious straight boys who feel more comfortable having relations with feminine guys.

But of course! :)

I hope that didn't sound offensive or anything, merely a joke.Mostly straight guy reporting in lol

MR4001

Subbed.

I guess I'm a part-time crossdresser...? Never really discussed it before - all hush-hush for various reasons. But, damn, do fully-fashioned nylons make my legs look good, he-he! And when you make your eyes all smokey...

I blame school plays, my sister and Channel 4...

Too scared to try tucking - what if the little fellas get, er, stuck?! Eek.

Pete Rock

Fabulous!

I4wlje7.jpg

I was introduced to the drag community through an open stage opportunity at my local rainbow district club. You bring two musical tracks and your talents an hour before the lights go on and it is literally open in every way. I perform interpretive dance numbers with some elements of cross dressing in my costumes, but no makeup or extraneous additions to make myself appear feminine. All but one of the other performers are drag queens/kings, about 80/20.

Really interesting and fantastic people, all of them driven to create and perform with widespread intention and motivation. I love the presentation and the story that's told of embracing change and bearing down at a point of transition, seeing it through to the other side, instead of shying away from it. Life is all about our reactions to adverse circumstances. These performers have turned difficulties that most people could not imagine facing into beautiful statements that they utterly own. It is a wonderful sight to behold.

For anyone who is interested in a brief history of sorts, which I would assume to be everyone who has opened this thread, please take the time to watch Paris Is Burning. It is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen.

REALNESS

Aiustis

Fabulous!

I4wlje7.jpg

I was introduced to the drag community through an open stage opportunity at my local rainbow district club. You bring two musical tracks and your talents an hour before the lights go on and it is literally open in every way. I perform interpretive dance numbers with some elements of cross dressing in my costumes, but no makeup or extraneous additions to make myself appear feminine. All but one of the other performers are drag queens/kings, about 80/20.

Really interesting and fantastic people, all of them driven to create and perform with widespread intention and motivation. I love the presentation and the story that's told of embracing change and bearing down at a point of transition, seeing it through to the other side, instead of shying away from it. Life is all about our reactions to adverse circumstances. These performers have turned difficulties that most people could not imagine facing into beautiful statements that they utterly own. It is a wonderful sight to behold.

For anyone who is interested in a brief history of sorts, which I would assume to be everyone who has opened this thread, please take the time to watch Paris Is Burning. It is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen.

REALNESS

Paris Is Burning is excellent.

Wilsongt

Speaking of Mathu, he nearly achieved Bayonetta's level of fierce swagger in Alaska's video.

That cameo made my day everything.

(BTW, Mathu does genderfuck drag and uses his own name like Ru and Willam do, so I hope I'm right in assuming that "he" instead of "she" fits here.)

I was surprised at the queens who use their real name when doing drag:

Willam
Rupaul
Mathu
Chad Michaels
Kelly Mantel
Alexis Mateo

I never heard about tranimals. The images on Google that I could find seem to indicate that it's really just harmless artistic expression. Showing of the wild, beast-like side of yourself.

I know of the term anti-queen though, I think you mentioned it once (or maybe someone else?) in another thread. I can't recall it's meaning at the moment though.

I don't think I've mentioned the word "anti-queen" before, but that can pretty much mean any style that is the anti-thesis of the more traditional styles like fishy, camp, pageant or high drag.

Also, I really hope it doesn't sound like I'm condemning the "tranimal" style.
It's not my cup of tea (I'm more of a glamour girl), but I don't want to come off as a hater.
I was just trying to be a blunt as possible about the style's striking imagery; I think more than a few people would find it to be kind of NSFW.

Fabulous!

I4wlje7.jpg

REALNESS

Hay gurl, haaay!

Also, yes; Paris Is Burning is a fantastic documentary that everyone (especially LGBTQIA-people) should watch if they get the chance. The film primarily deals with the New York "Drag Ball" scene, race relations, gender issues, 1980s views of sexuality, trans women, and gay/Bi men of color.
It's a very insightful, entertaining, and sometimes tragic little film.

Edit:

(Like a lot of queens that I've encountered) Ru seems quite gender-fluid; she's gone on record saying that she doesn't mind being called "he" or "she" even out of drag.

I remember Willam straight up saying "I'm not a she..." to somebody in his YT comments, and going by what I've seen on the RPDR reddit Willam actually seems to prefer the pronoun "he" even when he is en femme (I could be wrong though)

I'm not sure about Mathu though...
I usually just refer to queens as she unless they state otherwise, so I'm gonna assume she's as gender fluid as Ru.

I'm a straight dude who's dressed in drag a few times while playing a female character in live sketches I've done.

It's fun!

Kater

Banned
I don't think I've mentioned the word "anti-queen" before, but that can pretty much mean any style that is the anti-thesis of the more traditional styles like fishy, camp, pageant or high drag.

Also, I really hope it doesn't sound like I'm condemning the "tranimal" style.
It's not my cup of tea (I'm more of a glamour girl), but I don't want to come off as a hater.
I was just trying to be a blunt as possible about the style's striking imagery; I think more than a few people would find it to be kind of NSFW.
Maybe it was someone else then, but I remember reading it somewhere on GAF (or at a site someone posted a link of on GAF).
And no worries, not thinking badly of you for the way you worded your reply. ;p It is nsfw for the most part, since it's intent is to be as provocative as possible and what is more provocative to the general public than bare skin. :p

Also, yes; Paris Is Burning is a fantastic documentary that everyone (especially LGBTQIA-people) should watch if they get the chance. The film primarily deals with the New York "Drag Ball" scene, race relations, gender issues, 1980s views of sexuality, trans women, and gay/Bi men of color.
It's a very insightful, entertaining, and sometimes tragic little film.
I just watched the whole video and it was very fun and heart-warming, well, and
then there was a dark twist right at the end.

GRW810

I've never heard of the term 'fishy camp' but, even as a heterosexual married man, I can't help but think those four persons photographed are smoking hot. Like, I'm actually turned on level of hot.

There are some amazingly beautiful and convincing crossdressers and drag artists out there. It impresses me more because of the required effort and the extent of the transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom