• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
The problem with Branduil's current avatar is half of the times I'm wondering why is he talking about waifus and butts till I realize it's Theonik who made the post.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Here, among other places.

Just as you're not obligated to watch every single one of those entries, you should also feel perfectly free to agree or disagree about any of them.
Not all entries have been equally vetted, and some are much more worth your while than others.

CorvoSol

Breathtaking. Astounding. Superb.

I am completely taken aback by just how utterly this movie has managed to turn around my opinion of the entire Macross series. And not just because the animation was gorgeous nor because the score was glorious nor even because the catering to my interest in Misa was grandiose. The actual writing of this movie undid every single complaint I ever had with the televised series. The love triangle? Loved it. Minmay? Loved her. Hikaru? Loved him. Kaifun? Practically non-existent. The influence of culture? Absolutely adored it. I never had any real problem with the pacing in Macross, but the pacing in Do You Remember Love is positively perfect. When they say "Macross is the greatest of love stories set to the backdrop of the greatest of wars" surely they must mean Do You Remember Love, because I will agree whole heartedly that Do You Remember Love is precisely that.

The Animation is amazing. Even today's Mecha anime cannot hold a torch to this. The horrible, misshapen mutant bastard children that are CGI mecha pale before the glorious moving work of art that is this movie's everything. From the way Misa and Minmay's hair and dresses sway as they move to the iconic Valkyrie catching scene to the famous missile massacres, every second of this movie is lovingly rendered, to the point that blinking and missing any frame is a crime against it. I would post images from the film, but I cannot even think of where to begin. The whole thing is beautiful, and at that I must leave it.

The Score really is great. I mean, for a series reliant on music as a plot point Macross' music was never that bad to begin with, but the songs playing at key points in the love triangle in this film really nail it. From the scene where Hikaru and Minmay are floating about, trapped inside the Macross, to the moment Hikaru and Misa settle their relationship issues, every scene is made by the solid song-writing. Do You Remember Love itself is a great song, too, and its importance to the plot as an ancient song which is put together through the combined efforts of Misa and Minmay to overcome the war of the Zentradi and Meltrandi is a deft stroke on the writers' part.

Hikaru goes from being an indecisive, two-timing son-of-a-gun to a guy whose feelings for the people he knows and the women in his life are legitimate, and whose movements through the love triangle are justifiable, respectable, and acceptable. That he makes a choice between Misa and Minmay, of his own volition, and without needing the endless merry-go-round of drama to do it, vastly raises his status from being THE mecha protagonist I hated most to being a pretty solid one. He doesn't beat around the bush, and because he's decisive, it makes his pain at having to let Minmay down under what can only be described as the worst of possible circumstances is far more believable.

Kaifun is completely eliminated from the plot, and the entirety of the film does nothing but benefit from this.

Minmay legitimately loves Hikaru in return, and it justifies her pain at being turned down later on. By removing from the plot the nonsense of her not recognizing Hikaru's feelings for her, and having her write "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" well before they ever meet, Minmay is redeemed from being a vapid, spoiled bimbo paraded around on a leash. Since Kaifun is practically gone from the film, she has next to no relationship with the guy she calls her brother, which further improves her. In fact, Minmay goes from being a force which aggravates things and makes Hikaru's character worse to being a genuinely likeable girl who is the victim of forces she could never control. The love triangle becomes something natural, believable, and I applaud them for going the extra mile to make it something painful for the people involved, rather than melodramatic.

Misa was perfect already, and you can't improve perfection.

So yeah, I'm glad I watched this movie before moving on with the Macross series, because I really feel like I love Macross now, rather than just forcing myself through it because I feel obligated to by my professed fandom of the genre. This movie was legitimately good. If Gundam could ever have movies as good as this, it'd be a miracle for the franchise. This is perhaps the first time in a long time I've enjoyed an anime film, too. Really, really satisfied with this film.

TheRancor

So yeah, I'm glad I watched this movie before moving on with the Macross series, because I really feel like I love Macross now, rather than just forcing myself through it because I feel obligated to by my professed fandom of the genre. This movie was legitimately good. If Gundam could ever have movies as good as this, it'd be a miracle for the franchise. This is perhaps the first time in a long time I've enjoyed an anime film, too. Really, really satisfied with this film.
Macross Plus is next I think. Unless you want to see Macross II which is by most accounts terrible.

CorvoSol

Macross Plus is next I think. Unless you want to see Macross II which is by most accounts terrible.

What's Macross 2 about? Also, my first time through Gundam I watched it in chronological order regardless of quality. Which means I saw Stardust Memory before Zeta, so I might as well see this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's Macross 2 about? Also, my first time through Gundam I watched it in chronological order regardless of quality. Which means I saw Stardust Memory before Zeta, so I might as well see this.
Macross II was written out of existence by everyone. Don't do it!

JCG

Is it truly that bad?

Yeah, Macross 2 is a thing, that exists.

I believe it's considered an alternate universe at this point, so it's nowhere in the official time line.

It's also got another of those bad English dubs for something that didn't deserve any better.

fertygo

Nice, Corvo.. like you know I just rewatched the movie few days ago.. the climax is frigging beautiful, last 20 minute was absolute ace.. I usually rage over moment like in Hikaru's room, but this movie playing the card so perfectly..
and then come the final battle with Minmay singing Do You Remember Love
, oh man.. that's maybe the most beautiful moment in mecha anime.

CorvoSol

Nice, Corvo.. like you know I just rewatched the movie few days ago.. the climax is frigging beautiful, last 20 minute was absolute ace.. I usually rage over moment like in Hikaru's room, but this movie playing the card so perfectly..
and then come the final battle with Minmay singing Do You Remember Love
, oh man.. that's maybe the most beautiful moment in mecha anime.

If Hikaru hadn't proven he had balls in that scene I would have raged. Because in the TV series that's what he'd have done. But movie Hikaru makes choices and stands by them.

cajunator

Banned
Mad Bull 34 is basically the best Gritty 80s Cop OVA I've ever seen. Probably the only actually good one ever made.

thats...probably true. Gunsmith cats is perfect but not as gritty or "80's". However theres kne particular thinv in Mad Bull I would have been perfectly content in life to never see.

I guess I need to watch this.

yes. Do so immediately or maybe a bit after.

And still apparently the biggest waste of time on the list from what I've heard.

Corvo, just skip to Yami.

this. Yami is so special that Syrinx gave it its own unique score.

Glass Fleet 1

Snoooooooooooore

Daily Lives of High School Boys 1-2

jeremiahjohnsonnod.gif

Usagi Drop 1

Well no wonder he wants to marry the kid. She's so adorable

Nichibros is so great. Youll love it. Same with Usagi Drop but for entirely different reasons.

Quasar

Macross II was written out of existence by everyone. Don't do it!

Really? Never realised people disliked it.

It was years ago...but I recall watching and not being offended. Though at the time I was not an 'anime watcher' just someone who wanted more robotech. So its not like i had context.

Gintama' 215

Man, Keda is a wreck after what went down.

Oh hey, politics
suddenly the OPs make more sense with Kamui and Takasugi.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I still have, after Mars of Destruction, Melody of Oblivion, Shuffle, Street Fighter 2 V, and Sukeban Deka before Yami. After Yami the last item on The List is Yugi Oh 0.
Melody hasn't been vetted.

Shuffle probably isn't worth it, especially when you could watch 8 eps of Black Rock Shooter TV instead.

SF2V works better in a group familiar with SF who can all riff it.

YGO S0 doesn't belong on the list. It's silly fun, but pretty legitimate otherwise.

Star Driver 17

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I don't buy for an instant that "Kou" is a girl. Massive breasts or no, she got a man voice.
Dr. Girlfiend begs to differ!

cajunator

Banned
So I just realized I've never seen all of Nausica. Where do I turn in my anime badge

you still have time before most of animegaf wakes up and stones you to death. Better hurry!

I'm not even 20 minutes into Do You Remember Love and I feel like I need to change my pants.

God Damn when did anime stop looking this beautiful?

early 90s

The idea was that all entries on the list exhibit trancendence, which is the ability to be enjoyable or entertaining despite failing on anything that might be considered objective merits.

For example, The Core has some of the worst science in an action film and is shoddy at all levels, but I can't help but find it hilarious. List entries are all supposed to be like this in some way, even if not everyone can agree.

Yami definitely transcends all reason and understanding.

CorvoSol

Shuffle probably isn't worth it.

YGO S0 doesn't belong on the list. It's silly fun, but pretty legitimate otherwise.

Of note is that Wicked City was not included in my copy of The List.

early 90s

Hm. I should specify I mean mecha anime, by the way. When did Mecha lose its way?

cajunator

Banned

Shuffle probably isn't worth it, especially when you could watch 8 eps of Black Rock Shooter TV instead.

What is meant by vetted?

cajunator

Banned
Full metal panic 04

terrorists on a plane.
chidori and her friends get hijacked on a jet and brought to a remote base. Sousuke hides and sneaks on ghe base to rescue Chidori
I guess this is where this show gets real.
I love that ED so much.

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo : Rising - 20

Goddamn this fight is great, its a fight between two guy that really want beat the shit of other.. so good.

Mature

Breathtaking. Astounding. Superb.

I am completely taken aback by just how utterly this movie has managed to turn around my opinion of the entire Macross series. And not just because the animation was gorgeous nor because the score was glorious nor even because the catering to my interest in Misa was grandiose. The actual writing of this movie undid every single complaint I ever had with the televised series. The love triangle? Loved it. Minmay? Loved her. Hikaru? Loved him. Kaifun? Practically non-existent. The influence of culture? Absolutely adored it. I never had any real problem with the pacing in Macross, but the pacing in Do You Remember Love is positively perfect. When they say "Macross is the greatest of love stories set to the backdrop of the greatest of wars" surely they must mean Do You Remember Love, because I will agree whole heartedly that Do You Remember Love is precisely that.

The Animation is amazing. Even today's Mecha anime cannot hold a torch to this. The horrible, misshapen mutant bastard children that are CGI mecha pale before the glorious moving work of art that is this movie's everything. From the way Misa and Minmay's hair and dresses sway as they move to the iconic Valkyrie catching scene to the famous missile massacres, every second of this movie is lovingly rendered, to the point that blinking and missing any frame is a crime against it. I would post images from the film, but I cannot even think of where to begin. The whole thing is beautiful, and at that I must leave it.

The Score really is great. I mean, for a series reliant on music as a plot point Macross' music was never that bad to begin with, but the songs playing at key points in the love triangle in this film really nail it. From the scene where Hikaru and Minmay are floating about, trapped inside the Macross, to the moment Hikaru and Misa settle their relationship issues, every scene is made by the solid song-writing. Do You Remember Love itself is a great song, too, and its importance to the plot as an ancient song which is put together through the combined efforts of Misa and Minmay to overcome the war of the Zentradi and Meltrandi is a deft stroke on the writers' part.

Hikaru goes from being an indecisive, two-timing son-of-a-gun to a guy whose feelings for the people he knows and the women in his life are legitimate, and whose movements through the love triangle are justifiable, respectable, and acceptable. That he makes a choice between Misa and Minmay, of his own volition, and without needing the endless merry-go-round of drama to do it, vastly raises his status from being THE mecha protagonist I hated most to being a pretty solid one. He doesn't beat around the bush, and because he's decisive, it makes his pain at having to let Minmay down under what can only be described as the worst of possible circumstances is far more believable.

Kaifun is completely eliminated from the plot, and the entirety of the film does nothing but benefit from this.

Minmay legitimately loves Hikaru in return, and it justifies her pain at being turned down later on. By removing from the plot the nonsense of her not recognizing Hikaru's feelings for her, and having her write "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" well before they ever meet, Minmay is redeemed from being a vapid, spoiled bimbo paraded around on a leash. Since Kaifun is practically gone from the film, she has next to no relationship with the guy she calls her brother, which further improves her. In fact, Minmay goes from being a force which aggravates things and makes Hikaru's character worse to being a genuinely likeable girl who is the victim of forces she could never control. The love triangle becomes something natural, believable, and I applaud them for going the extra mile to make it something painful for the people involved, rather than melodramatic.

Misa was perfect already, and you can't improve perfection.

Glad you liked it! And you've saved the best for last— Macross Plus awaits.

Dr. Girlfriend's voice doesn't even phase me anymore, haha.

JCG

Hm. I should specify I mean mecha anime, by the way. When did Mecha lose its way?

When Japan's economy went bust and they just couldn't afford to spend so much time, money and manpower on their non-Miyazaki theatrical films, I would say, which includes mecha. This is especially important for stuff with lots of robots and mechanical designs that have greater complexity than their TV equivalents.

People always talk about Akira being a resource drain and that movie certainly has more than enough detail to justify it, but surely Macross DYRL wasn't exactly inexpensive or lacking in its own excess at the time.

Gintama' 216

My sides

I think I need a Patriot.

Good lord, those fucking kids were brutal. Even that one kid who made the greatest Hasegawa episode so far was brutal as shit.

Hijikata, Tsukuyo, Sachan, Odd Jobs, Kondo, Hasegawa weeps!

Robotics;Notes 01-06

I really didn't know what to expect going into this series other than "robot club". Honestly, I bought it because I already ordered Good Smile Company's Frau figure and I thought I should probably watch the series. It starts out easy-going with some comedy, and starts injecting some more serious matters a few episodes in. At this point I don't quite know where the series is going, but I'm definitely entertained. Frau's usage of internet lingo in the real world is a bit annoying, but I suppose it's part of what makes her unique.

Gintama Progress Report Week 2

About 101 watched for the week of Feb 16th, putting me at 216 episodes out of 265 episodes finished for the show. It may be me, but these 101 episodes were more condensed with "plot" relevant things going on, and the comedy quality has also risen, which I find rather impressive for a long running show.

Another point being that I'm still am impressed at how the expanded cast is handled... Actually, scratch that. It did things that I wasn't expecting at all for an expanded cast. Four Devas arc, along with that Weather Girl's arc being a couple examples. The latter struck harder in a sense that
I DIDN'T THINK THEY WOULD TOUCH ON HER DIVORCE, AS WELL AS MAKE HER MORE POWERFUL THAN LET ON
. It's the way that the cast is use that everything feels rather... interlocked persay. I think the only other anime I can think of at the moment that does something like this is Ojamajo Doremi.

Gintama also provides gratuitous MANservice, which I still scratch my head at how this flies on air.

I guess I'll finish off the show before the 3rd week is even over. Besides Benizakura's movie, and The Final Chapter, any other Gintama material I should bother with once I'm through?

jgminto

Robotics;Notes 01-06

I really didn't know what to expect going into this series other than "robot club". Honestly, I bought it because I already ordered Good Smile Company's Frau figure and I thought I should probably watch the series. It starts out easy-going with some comedy, and starts injecting some more serious matters a few episodes in. At this point I don't quite know where the series is going, but I'm definitely entertained. Frau's usage of internet lingo in the real world is a bit annoying, but I suppose it's part of what makes her unique.

You should probably drop it, such a disappointing show. Frau and Mr. Pleiades are the only two redeeming things in the show.

edit: and the weekly Ron Paul gif spam as it was airing

Thoraxes

You should probably drop it, such a disappointing show. Frau and Mr. Pleiades are the only two redeeming things in the show.

I liked Robonotes, b-baka!

tvBqSK9.gif

Imocho gonna kill AnimeGAF hard by lewdacity

The blurays are gonna be glorious.

Meh. I'm in it until the end. I'm not particularly difficult to please. There are certainly shows that I hate, but I'm not nearly as picky as some of AnimeGAF. Anyway, I knew Frau would be best girl.

Jex

Some pretty great visuals and action in the new trailer. But goddamn the character designs. I don't know what Igarashi is going for with Star Driver and now this, with regards to the character art. Why do they look so stupid and tacky? Lol. The mech stuff should be great though!

Honestly, those shows are just the worst. He surely likes cheap looking designs. RIP Bones character designs.

As entertained as I am by Star Driver, I've noticed the three biggest issues I have with it:

1. Forced love triangle. So many girls are interested in Takuto, so he really has no reason to be into Wako. Sugata has a reason, childhood friend. But having two husbandos too hard for her, and these guys dont just leave for god knows why. These characters and their interactions stay static after the first couple of episodes, only the other shrine maidens really seem to have any development.

2. No stakes fighting. Takuto has been established as not being the strongest fighter, but whenever shit is gonna go wrong he pulls another power out of his ass. This is the "fool this isn't even my final form" joke to an extreme.

3. The battles, the best part of the whole show, take like 4-5 minutes of each episode at most. And they all are pretty similar. In fact there's easily a minute out of those 4-5 minutes of battle of him entering the zone, calling his mecha, changing into his pretty boy clothing, and posing after winning. I've been basically watching the same battle over and over again.

Thoraxes

As entertained as I am by Star Driver, I've noticed the three biggest issues I have with it:

1. Forced love triangle. So many girls are interested in Takuto, so he really has no reason to be into Wako. Sugata has a reason, childhood friend. But having two husbandos too hard for her, and these guys dont just leave for god knows why. These characters and their interactions stay static after the first couple of episodes, only the other shrine maidens really seem to have any development.

2. No stakes fighting. Takuto has been established as not being the strongest fighter, but whenever shit is gonna go wrong he pulls another power out of his ass. This is the "fool this isn't even my final form" joke to an extreme.

3. The battles, the best part of the whole show, take like 4-5 minutes of each episode at most. And they all are pretty similar. In fact there's easily a minute out of those 4-5 minutes of battle of him entering the zone, calling his mecha, changing into his pretty boy clothing, and posing after winning. I've been basically watching the same battle over and over again.

You just don't understand what it's like to love two guys at once!

That being said, I think Star Driver was better watched weekly due to the pacing and structure of each episode. It was more fun having the discussions each week, and made a lot of the formula feel less stale. I'd imagine marathoning could get a bit monotonous in that regard.

Jarmel

Banned

Well all the girls either have a crush on Takuto or Sugata. It doesn't really matter though as there isn't much bullshit mama drama that drags down the show. It's noted and the show sorta just moves on.

As for the no stakes fighting, yea that's an issue. That's an issue with almost all MOTW format shows that I've run across so I can't hold it too harshly against them.

You just don't understand what it's like to love two guys at once!

That being said, I think Star Driver was better watched weekly due to the pacing and structure of each episode. It was more fun having the discussions each week, and made a lot of the formula feel less stale. I'd imagine marathoning could get a bit monotonous in that regard.

I actually think it works better in a non-weekly format actually otherwise I would probably be getting frustrated over the lack of plot developments.

Thoraxes

I actually think it works better in a non-weekly format actually otherwise I would probably be getting frustrated over the lack of plot developments.

I can see how that would be better too. I guess i'll see for sure how I end up feeling about each perspective when I marathon it after buying BDs for a series re-watch (and to show some friends).

It's been almost three years since i've seen it, heh.

Westlo

gunfightzpk0f.gif

You don't want to miss it.

God damn, want to catch up now....

Thanks to Twitter for alerting me to this, but there's a new PV up for Captain Earth on the show's website.

Yeah I'm getting hyped for this, the music, the itano circus, give it to me Bones.

not watching a show over the lack of a tweet?
negativemanpro.gif

Yeah I read that and was like
mjlol.png

Gundam Build Fighters 01

It really mystifies me that this, of all shows, is the last bastion of hand-drawn giant mecha on television.

Don't forget Captain Earth by Bones this Spring, pretty much Gundam and whatever mecha series Bones work on are the last bastions.

I-Is JoJo's by the same guy who did Attack on Titan? I need to know because I have some deep-rooted reservations if that's the case.

Only relation they have is that the same woman is doing series composition for them, as for the original source, nothing.

Wow a lot of big changes in Do You Remember Love?

It's amazing how much better Minmay was in this film, actually felt for her in the end.

Don't forget to give a quick viewing to The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012.

Glad you liked it! And you've saved the best for last— Macross Plus awaits.

But does he watch OVA or Movie? Movie version superior imo.

Mr.Jeff

Mushishi - 3
Much like Aku no Hana, the sound design in this is really good. I love the smaller details like muffling their voices when certain characters have the An/Un inside their ear canals, and then creating a distinctly different sound when one character covers another's ears.
The sound direction is so good throughout the show and not just with the effects but also through his restrained use of music all the way through the series. Whereas most series would overload you on background music happening even during the most inconsequential of scenes, you never have that problem with Mushishi.

Ahhh, hype for S2 rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom