• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

Minsc

Gold Member
ethelred said:
I remain unconvinced by this response. While there may be a theoretical limit, they're certainly nowhere near that line. Given the company's ability to expand its resources...

in any event, I emphatically reject the idea that resources applied to the Wii must come directly at the expense of resources being applied to the DS. I actually think it'd be possible to apply additional resources to both.

But that costs money, and Nintendo can only afford to budget so much!

andthebeatgoeson

_Alkaline_ said:
Man, PS3 keeps falling whilst Wii goes up. The gap continues to widen. It's more like the grand canyon. PS3 will get second place but it's moot.
I like to dedicate this entire generation to Sony. How's it feel, bitches?

Question: Will all hardware companies be doomed to arrogance then failure? Is that just a symptom of how young the industry is?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-69.jpg

mc-weekly-line-69.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-69.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-69.jpg

[ ] The Wii spent 16 weeks last summer above 69.00% market share and never quite reached 70.00%.

[ ] Does Pacman look like he's smiling to anybody else? I can't get the picture of some retched smirking blue-pacman out of my head.

Last week to this week
[ ] Wii gained .12%
[ ] PS3 lost .07%
[ ] 360 lost .05%

justchris

donny2112 said:
disappointment

Well, okay, yes, saturated is not the correct word, since obviously people are still buying the system at a fairly brisk pace. Depressed may be a better term. Either way, my point is that the DS sales are pretty consistent among the current available market at the currently available price. Nintendo can still break into other markets and greatly increase their sales, assuming they can produce software that is appealing to those markets.

andthebeatgoeson

So, DS is the main loser in titles charting in the top 50, based on one of those last charts. PS3 is slightly improved and Wii is improving, over time.

According to Panthers chart, the PS3 in 2007 is outperforming PS3 in 2008. Hmm

In order for this to be a breakout year for the PS3 so it can forget about the horrendous sales in 2007, you kinda have to actually improve on your sales in 2007. And the PS3 can't even do that...

2009 anyone?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No need to put MY name in front of a troll. The data stands on its own with or without a chart. I just help people to see what isn't always obvious.

perfectchaos007 said:
According to Panthers chart, the PS3 in 2007 is outperforming PS3 in 2008. Hmm

In order for this to be a breakout year for the PS3 so it can forget about the horrendous sales in 2007, you kinda have to actually improve on your sales in 2007. And the PS3 can't even do that...

2009 anyone?

Actually Sony is saving up those years and when 2010 hits it'll start the DECADE of the PS3.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jammy said:
DS is getting near saturation, but Nintendo can do so much more to make this baby still do 100,000-plus a week.
He was being sarcastic with the saturation line.

Hey smart folks, I have a question about one of the games in this week's Top 10: Armored Core 4Answer. I just recently saw the newest trailer for this on the Japanese PSN; it's quite long and most of it is pre-rendered HD cutscenes. Assuming conservatively that it includes a little under half of all the CG in the game, we're talking 10 minutes or more of this movie-quality stuff in the full release. At a rough guess, that'd cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million dollars. Now, reusing assets from AC4 (and not hiring a texture artist for any of the new stuff--har har) means the rest of the game may not be particularly pricey by next-gen standards. But still, double-digit millions undoubtedly, once marketing etc. is included.

My question is this: why the hell did From bother? I mean, they know their last HD game did 100k in Japan (80k on the PS3, 20k on 360). Even adding whatever they did in the West, you have a mediocre performance at best. So what compelled them to release an expansion? Sure, it's looking to be an improvement on the original; that's what 15 months' more of hardware will do. But why not 20 months? Or 24?

In short, why are they this committed to HD systems when the highest revenue potential is clearly elsewhere? Maybe there's no larger lessons here--maybe From is just goofy like that--but this is one case where you can't say, "Well, it's only on PS3 because they started development long ago when it was assumed Sony would win."

PS3's performance is just sad to behold. Maybe we'll even see it below 10k before golden week (it should go up there a bit).

Dizzan said:
Maybe people are waiting for the Metal Gear bundle?
We'll see in due time but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. With pent up demand like this (assuming the theory is indeed correct) we would have to see monster numbers for PS3 come launch day - I can't see it honestly.

Tideas said:
Sony needs to drop the price on the PS3 in Japan by like another $50. And a slimmer more redesign can't come sooner.

I predict E3 announcement
I think another price cut by the end of the year should be in order for Sony - I don't see a redesign coming so soon though.

sp0rsk said:
( ゚∀゚)o彡゜おっぱい!おっぱい!
:lol my thoughts exactly.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Liabe Brave said:
In short, why are they this committed to HD systems when the highest revenue potential is clearly elsewhere? Maybe there's no larger lessons here--maybe From is just goofy like that--but this is one case where you can't say, "Well, it's only on PS3 because they started development long ago when it was assumed Sony would win."

Bad Blood from nintendo post snes era and they can't get over it. Sega, Namco, Konami, Capcom, EA, and activision could be making big bank if they they bothered to just look at what worked during those eras and brung them back. Some devs are wannabe tech whores and want no business with Wii despite the fact none of them could make a game that looks good in opengl es if they bet their lives on it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hmm, so the Wii has sold a million this year faster than 2007, if only just, and if current trends continue, PS3 2007 is about to overtake PS3 this year, in Japan at least Sony have dropped the ball again, is there anything they can do now to prevent this year being worse than last?

Also, I love how people here are proclaiming how the DS is somehow doomed, it has sold more than the PS2 for Christs' sake, not only that but DQ9 is out this year, which will add lots of sales. That said, I fully expect this year to be the last year of the DS, 2009 will see a DS2 announced, or something similar.

Linkup

Stop It said:
That said, I fully expect this year to be the last year of the DS, 2009 will see a DS2 announced, or something similar.

/sarcasm

They'll release new colors, a redesign, and a price drop, but a new system?

Xeke

Banned
Stop It said:
Hmm, so the Wii has sold a million this year faster than 2007, if only just, and if current trends continue, PS3 2007 is about to overtake PS3 this year, in Japan at least Sony have dropped the ball again, is there anything they can do now to prevent this year being worse than last?

Also, I love how people here are proclaiming how the DS is somehow doomed, it has sold more than the PS2 for Christs' sake, not only that but DQ9 is out this year, which will add lots of sales. That said, I fully expect this year to be the last year of the DS, 2009 will see a DS2 announced, or something similar.

The DS still has so much life in it. They haven't even dropped the price in Japan. It's selling faster than ever in the USA and the rest of the world, Japan was just ahead of the other two when it came to DS sales because they got the Lite first and Pokemon first and such.

fushi

DENKO said:
Infinite Frontier -Super Robot Wars OG saga-
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2808332

With the DS title of May...
I think that this game can be sold a lot.
:lol

I like how a protective layer has to disappear from... Aschen Brödel's breasts while performing some sort of special attack. And then she switches personalities too, or something.

Brilliant.

おっぱいジェネレーション is what this is.

Liabe Brave said:
Hey smart folks, I have a question about one of the games in this week's Top 10: Armored Core 4Answer. I just recently saw the newest trailer for this on the Japanese PSN; it's quite long and most of it is pre-rendered HD cutscenes. Assuming conservatively that it includes a little under half of all the CG in the game, we're talking 10 minutes or more of this movie-quality stuff in the full release. At a rough guess, that'd cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million dollars. Now, reusing assets from AC4 (and not hiring a texture artist for any of the new stuff--har har) means the rest of the game may not be particularly pricey by next-gen standards. But still, double-digit millions undoubtedly, once marketing etc. is included.

My question is this: why the hell did From bother? I mean, they know their last HD game did 100k in Japan (80k on the PS3, 20k on 360). Even adding whatever they did in the West, you have a mediocre performance at best. So what compelled them to release an expansion? Sure, it's looking to be an improvement on the original; that's what 15 months' more of hardware will do. But why not 20 months? Or 24?

General industry-wide apathy towards the Nintendo consoles and the supposed lucrative West that might save the day.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
titiklabingapat said:
General industry-wide apathy towards the Nintendo consoles and the supposed lucrative West that might save the day.

True enough. It makes you wonder just how divided this industry is going to be when this is said and done.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
fushi said:

I like how a protective layer has to disappear from... Aschen Brödel's breasts while performing some sort of special attack. And then she switches personalities too, or something.

This is a reference to Gunbuster.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii selling 5x more than the PS3 is quite astounding, who would have thought?
Mario Kart may keep this trend going for few weeks, but I don't think they have announced any other major title for Q2/Q3, have they?

Rolf NB

Verve said:
why is it so EXTREMELY different if i choose famitsu instead of media create?

PS3 VC GC total consoles sold
The Gamecube's starting date in the Media Create version is off (2002-12-30 vs 2001-09-10 in the Famitsu graph). I.e. the Media Create graph is missing GC's first three and a half months, including all holiday sales.

Verve

bcn-ron said:
The Gamecube's starting date in the Media Create version is off (2002-12-30 vs 2001-09-10 in the Famitsu graph). I.e. the Media Create graph is missing GC's first three and a half months, including all holiday sales.

so I assume the famitsu one is the more reliable using joshuas tool when comparing something to game cube..

are there any other systems where that's the case?
just to be sure for future usage

fushi said:

Brilliant.

おっぱいジェネレーション is what this is.

Aschen Brödel? Really? Could this be the weirdest product of the obsession Japan has with german names?

Monster unleashed

First day sales
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G - 670,000

MHP2 did 512k first day, so this is PSP biggest seller ever on first day.

652k were normal editions, 17k Hunter's Packs.

Impressive 80% sell through too.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Monster unleashed

First day sales

shocked%20nazi.JPG

legend166

Dayum, Monster Hunter is huge.

See. that's why I just can't see piracy being the biggest issue in regards to PSP software sales. Why would people pirate a bunch of other games, only to buy Monster Hunter?

Ydahs

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Monster unleashed

First day sales

Woah.

f@luS

More than a member.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Monster unleashed

First day sales

this is insane. This isnt even a brand new game. Jeez i dont understand japanese anymore at all.
capcom must be so happy.

Top Bottom