• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

Polari

cvxfreak said:
That's understandable, but that doesn't mean Capcom hasn't been smart with RE on Wii this gen. They definitely have, and the generation has a few more years before one can truly judge.

I don't know, I'd call making a light gun shooter instead of something based off of the Resident Evil 4 engine fucking stupid when you've got the engine already up and running on the platform and sales of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition demonstrate that that's what everyone's clamouring for. Shit, slap in some new levels, keep the assets at GC level (Wii owners won't care) and throw in some new weapons along with a typically dodgy storyline and you've got a multi-million seller.

Since when do Capcom not take the easiest route available anyway? They love recycling things.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Polari said:
I don't know, I'd call making a light gun shooter instead of something based off of the Resident Evil 4 engine fucking stupid when you've got the engine already up and running on the platform and sales of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition demonstrate that that's what everyone's clamouring for.

Since when do Capcom not take the easiest route available anyway? They love recycling things.

I'm not going to get after Capcom yet- assuming they saw the RE4 sales and immediately started a RE4 style game, it probably wouldn't be far enough in development to be shown until this Spring/Summer anyways.

cvxfreak

Polari said:
I don't know, I'd call making a light gun shooter instead of something based off of the Resident Evil 4 engine fucking stupid when you've got the engine already up and running on the platform and sales of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition demonstrate that that's what everyone's clamouring for. Shit, slap in some new levels, keep the assets at GC level (Wii owners won't care) and throw in some new weapons along with a typically dodgy storyline and you've got a multi-million seller.

Fair...

Polari said:

That's what they did with Umbrella Chronicles.

To be fair, the director of UC mentioned that the game was at one point an RE4-style game, but they wanted to cater to very casual gamers on the Wii, so they went with a relatively simpler shooting game.

jarrod

Banned
I wouldn't say Capcom was necessarily "smart" with Monster Hunter on PSP really... more like lucky. I mean, they threw about every franchise possible at PSP (Megaman, GNG, Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, Breath of Fire, Powerstone, Viewtiful Joe, Gundam Vs, Puzzle Fighter, etc, etc) and they all failed until MH succeeded. Something had to stick eventually, right? :lol

Askia47

jarrod said:
I wouldn't say Capcom was necessarily "smart" with Monster Hunter on PSP really... more like lucky. I mean, they threw about every franchise possible at PSP (Megaman, GNG, Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, Breath of Fire, Powerstone, Viewtiful Joe, Gundam Vs, Puzzle Fighter, etc, etc) and they all failed until MH succeeded. Something had to stick eventually, right? :lol

But aren't most of those ports, while MH was something new?

schuelma said:
I'm not going to get after Capcom yet- assuming they saw the RE4 sales and immediately started a RE4 style game, it probably wouldn't be far enough in development to be shown until this Spring/Summer anyways.

That's what I'm assuming. It's like people expect that the week after they confirm that RE4 Wii has sold a million that they are going to announce a brand new game with screens and video and a release date within 6 months.

RE4 on the Wii sold very well, even though it was a second-time port and this is Capcom. It would be incredibly unlikely that they aren't developing a new RE game based off the engine. However it's not even going to be a year in to development at this point.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
I think Umbrella Chronicles is a fair take on a legitimate RE installment for the Wii.

Code:
^ _
___

Who needs RE5:Wii! We got Umbrella Chronicles?

Story aside, I don't think you can say this would count as one of the main series RE games. I'm not so much saying that Capcom has been dumb with Wii, as I'm saying they haven't been completely smart (at least with their public announcements), to this point. Having a ready fanbase and only porting RE0 (and that only in Japan) with nothing else known to be planned seems a little ... lacking to me.

jarrod

Banned
Defuser said:
No,they are based on the PS2 games. well it's half ported but added new features to it.
They're still ports, added content or not.

I'd also consider something like Mario 64 DS or Animal Crossing WW to be a port, even though they're using new engines and loaded with new content.

Yoboman

jarrod said:
They'd have sold enough to get sequels greenlit at least. :lol
You'd have a point if every game of that caliber hadn't bombed on DS as well. See: Castlevania, Contra, Megaman DS games

Hell, if Capcom ever has a successful game on DS, get back to me.

donny2112

jarrod said:
I'd also consider something like Mario 64 DS or Animal Crossing WW to be a port, even though they're using new engines and loaded with new content.

Can you really say that Animal Crossing WW is "loaded with new content," when they added so little (online) and took out so much (actual holidays, Animal Island, NES games)?

This is a long-standing gripe of mine. :p

Yoboman said:
if Capcom ever has a successful game on DS, get back to me.

Mega Man Star Force 1/2 and Ace Attorney 4.

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
You'd have a point if every game of that caliber hadn't bombed on DS as well. See: Castlevania, Contra, Megaman DS games

Hell, if Capcom ever has a successful game on DS, get back to me.
Castlevania and Megaman actually did do well enough to get sequels on DS, funny enough... but not on PSP evidently. :p

And Capcom success on DS?!? Uh, hello Star Force 1-2 & Ace Attourney 1-4!

Yoboman

jarrod said:
Castlevania and Megaman actually did do well enough to get sequels on DS, funny enough... but not on PSP evidently. :p
None of the Megaman games did well, and Portrait of Ruin bombed so hard that they moved their prospects to PSP... And did better :lol

jarrod said:
And Capcom success on DS?!? Uh, hello Star Force 1-2 & Ace Attourney 1-4!

You hold up Monster Hunter as the equivelant of success, and then expect me to consider these niche titles a success?:lol

donny2112

Yoboman said:
You hold up Monster Hunter as the equivelant of success, and then expect me to consider these niche titles a success?:lol

If the sales of MHP2 is the measuring stick for "success," every Capcom game released in Japan since 1996 has been a failure save one (other than MHP2, itself).

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
None of the Megaman games did well, and Portrait of Ruin bombed so hard that they moved their prospects to PSP... And did better :lol
Is "moved their prospects" code for outsourcing remakes? :lol

POR outsold DXC anyway. Both ZX and Star Force sold well enough to get sequels... that puts them well ahead of Powered Up or Maverick Hunter.

Yoboman said:
Lolz, no I'm holding up "can get a sequel greenlit" as the equivalent of success. :D

Gyakuten 4 sold 500k btw, and Star Force sold 600k. So basically, they've outsold every PS3 game to date....

jarrod

Banned
donny2112 said:
In Japan, it's the other way around. 27K vs. 29K Worldwide, I'd suspect that POR was higher, though.
Yeah, I was thinking ww for POR... souldve kept it consistant as I've been using JP figures for Capcom stuff.

Still, CV's prime market is the west anyway, and POR wasn't exactly out of line for the series sales in Japan. Besides, we all know where the next handheld CV's headed. :D

Busaiku

skinnyrattler said:
Somehow, a PSP revival doesn't seem to be in the works. Someone should have sent Sony the email.
Well, there's still been some improvment.
We're seeing 4-5 games or so, on average, in the top 30, as opposed to the 2-3 about a year ago.

Yoboman

jarrod said:
Is "moved their prospects" code for outsourcing remakes? :lol

POR outsold DXC anyway. Both ZX and Star Force sold well enough to get sequels... that puts them well ahead of Powered Up or Maverick Hunter.
Iga hasn't been on DS since, what, 06? I think there's a good reason for that

Cheaply made games don't need to sell much to be greenlit for a sequel, it's not as though Capcom were going to stop making Megaman games. The point to begin with is that this sort of game doesn't sell impressively no matter where you put it, it doesn't matter if it's named Contra, Megaman or Ghouls n Ghosts. Stop pinning it on PSP as the problem

DXC debuted at 19000, PoR debuted at 16000

donny2112 said:
If the sales of MHP2 is the measuring stick for "success," every Capcom game released in Japan since 1996 has been a failure save one (other than MHP2, itself).

I'm not the one who planted that yardstick

jarrod

Banned
Yoboman said:
He's working on DS right now actually. <3 <3

Yoboman said:
Cheaply made games don't need to sell much to be greenlit for a sequel, it's not as though Capcom were going to stop making Megaman games. The point to begin with is that this sort of game doesn't sell impressively no matter where you put it, it doesn't matter if it's named Contra, Megaman or Ghouls n Ghosts. Stop pinning it on PSP as the problem

They're all essentially "cheaply made". The difference is the DS games proved profitable enough to greenlight sequels and the PSP games didn't... that's not a platform issue? You really think the Rockman remakes wouldn't have managed sequels elsewhere regardless?

Yoboman said:
Actually, you were. :lol

Yoboman said:

As opposed to where? DXC?

I'm not sure the DS version would have sold much better, but it would have been cheaper to make.

So sales for Castlevania in Japan suck no matter what system they're on. We know that. The audience is primarily in the west.

Actually, you were. Claiming a million selling game is a success does not preclude lesser selling games from being successes.

(Although I can't help but feel that Capcom would be somewhat disappointed in the sales for their last Ryuusei no Rockman game.)

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Code:
^ _
___

Who needs RE5:Wii! We got Umbrella Chronicles?

Story aside, I don't think you can say this would count as one of the main series RE games. I'm not so much saying that Capcom has been dumb with Wii, as I'm saying they haven't been completely smart (at least with their public announcements), to this point. Having a ready fanbase and only porting RE0 (and that only in Japan) with nothing else known to be planned seems a little ... lacking to me.

I guess my POV stems from the fact I'm getting RE5 no matter what system it hits, which is why I tolerate Umbrella Chronicles more than other people. Truth be told I'd rather see the Wii get something unique than get a version of RE5 that will be visually scrutinized. On top of that, we don't know what the game will be like in the end. It's possible there's something in there the Wii just can't do.

Still, this is Capcom. More will come and I'd bet a ban on it. Just what there is to come is anyone's guess. I stand by my statement that they've managed the franchise quite well on the Wii.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Truth be told I'd rather see the Wii get something unique than get a version of RE5 that will be visually scrutinized.

I'd be perfectly fine with RE4:Gaiden/RE4-2/etc. However, the only known next mainline RE game is RE5, so that's what gets most of the attention for not being on Wii. Also, it could be that Capcom has all kinds of internal plans to really lay out RE support on the Wii with a main game and maybe more spinoff-type games. It's just that, currently, we know of nothing besides a Japan-only, barebones port of RE0.

Currently known plans are lacking, in my opinion.

Edit:
To not bump the thread, but still respond ...

VerTiGo said:
Code Veronica is a main installment in the RE series yet its not numbered.

I'm not particular about a number. Resident Evil: <subtitle> using the RE4 engine or its successor would be fine with me, too.

VerTiGo said:
There's no reason to continue supporting the RE brand on Wii unless there's something in the pipeline -- Capcom is laying the foundation for something new and important.

I certainly hope so. It's something I really want, though, which automatically makes me more pessimistic about its chances. :p

VerTiGo

Banned
donny2112 said:
I'd be perfectly fine with RE4:Gaiden/RE4-2/etc. However, the only known next mainline RE game is RE5, so that's what gets most of the attention for not being on Wii. Also, it could be that Capcom has all kinds of internal plans to really lay out RE support on the Wii with a main game and maybe more spinoff-type games. It's just that, currently, we know of nothing besides a Japan-only, barebones port of RE0.

Currently known plans are lacking, in my opinion.

Code Veronica is a main installment in the RE series yet its not numbered. It's the real RE4 IMO or RE3, because 3 doesn't add much to the series. Capcom could always do a main installment similar to that and they just might seeing how well its done on the Wii. RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles are both million sellers worldwide, that's not something they can ignore and they're not seeing how RE0 is being ported to. There's no reason to continue supporting the RE brand on Wii unless there's something in the pipeline -- Capcom is laying the foundation for something new and important.

andthebeatgoeson

VerTiGo said:
Code Veronica is a main installment in the RE series yet its not numbered. It's the real RE4 IMO or RE3, because 3 doesn't add much to the series. Capcom could always do a main installment similar to that and they just might seeing how well its done on the Wii. RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles are both million sellers worldwide, that's not something they can ignore and they're not seeing how RE0 is being ported to. There's no reason to continue supporting the RE brand on Wii unless there's something in the pipeline -- Capcom is laying the foundation for something new and important.
Yeah, completely switching development to Wii and dropping PS360 support.

Jokeropia

The M.O.B said:
Similar to how people believe wii third party support is going to improve.
It already has, especially in Japan where the most prominent example of this is quite related to a recently released major game.

Top Bottom