• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

ksamedi said:
I think that known franchises are less likely to have succes on the Wii, unless they are totaly adapted to the Wii interface. New ip made specifically for the Wii seems to have better results.

Uhhh... that only appears to apply to Nintendo, y'know...

creamsugar said:
FAMITSU

DSL 57000
PSP 139000
Wii 49000
PS3 13000
PS2 9800
360 2800

1.MHP2G 823000
2.Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 101000(344000)
3.Gundam 00 48000
4.Wii Fit 43000(1762000)
5.SSBB 33000(1555000)
6.CODE GEASS PSP 33000
7.CODE GEASS PS2 30000
8.Deca Sporta 23000(90000)
9.Sim City 2 22000(69000)
10.Mario Kart DS 16000(2918000)

As expected. Great numbers.

ksamedi

Pureauthor said:
Uhhh... that only appears to apply to Nintendo, y'know...

How does a game like Deca sports not apply? Or DQ swords, even if its not technically a new IP. I think games like Skycrawlers will do great as well.

test_account said:
Dabra already translated them (maybe you have already noticed though) :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10468576&postcount=482

He could still give the kana though so we can see the japanese names as well :)
I saw that after I posted. I'm having trouble with the untranslated ones as well, most don't make sense to me but then again my japanese is crappy and with katakana it's kind of hard to guess the english word sometimes.

dabra said:
16.きみある 12000
23.ヒットマン 9200
外.鉄道ゼミ 5000
外.エルミナージュ 3500
外.アンジェ 3000
外.デッドヘッド 860
外.信on 580
16. kimi aru should be about a sovereign/master or something. Dunno maybe Manga/Anime stuff?
23. hitoman. Hitman.
tetsudoo zemi. Track railway seminar? Don't know.
eruminaaju. Should be a foreign word but I'm lost here
anjii. Angel perhaps?
deddo heddo. Deadhead, Death Jr. maybe?
shin(on). Shin is belief I think.

schuelma said:
In Japan?

The Wii's 2 biggest 3rd party success stories by far? DQ:S and RE:UC.
Furthermore, I think the biggest third-party games with all-new IP would be Deca Sports and Family Ski, at about 100K apiece currently.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ksamedi said:
Or DQ swords, even if its not technically a new IP.

You're not trying to argue that DQ Swords sold well because of the wiimote controls and not because of you know..the Dragon Quest name...right?

donny2112

Phife Dawg said:
16. kimi aru should be about a sovereign/master or something. Dunno maybe Manga/Anime stuff?
23. hitoman. Hitman.
anjii. Angel perhaps?

I find it useful to go to Watch Impress to match the few Japanese characters posted to the full names.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
I saw that after I posted. I'm having trouble with the untranslated ones as well, most don't make sense to me but then again my japanese is crappy and with katakana it's kind of hard to guess the english word sometimes.

23. hitoman. Hitman.
anjii. Angel perhaps?

Ye, i thought you had seen it after you posted since it was only about 3 minutes between the posts, but i just mentioned it just in case :) I dunno what the other titles are unfortunately.

EDIT: after i checked Watch Impress that donny posted (thanks for that link by the way :)) i think i figured out some of them:

- アンジェ = Neo Angelique PS2
- エルミナージュ = Elminage (or something like that) PS2
- デッドヘッド = Dead Head Fred PSP

Dunno about the rest though, but ヒットマン is atleast Hitman as you mentioned. I dunno if its the Hitman game from Eidos either.

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
How do you define hardcore audience?

The biggest 1st week selling title when it's been awhile since the last new mainline Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest, so people forgot how much those sell in their first weeks.

jibblypop

Banned
Capcom is making smart moves this gen. By putting the right games on the right systems, they are getting some massive sales.
Dead Rising on 360, Phoenix Wright on DS, resident evil on Wii and Monster Hunter on PSP is really showing that you can get big sales on any platform if you pick the correct game.

jibblypop said:
Capcom is making smart moves this gen. By putting the right games on the right systems, they are getting some massive sales.
Dead Rising on 360, Phoenix Wright on DS, resident evil on Wii and Monster Hunter on PSP is really showing that you can get big sales on any platform if you pick the correct game.
Agreed.

jibblypop said:

Capcom's been making smart moves since last generation. Well, except insofar that the handling of their console Mega Man is concerned. The series really is better off on handhelds, at least for now.

Capcom <3. Best 3rd party dev ever.

ksamedi

schuelma said:
You're not trying to argue that DQ Swords sold well because of the wiimote controls and not because of you know..the Dragon Quest name...right?

It seems that games that made good use of the Wii remote seem to do better than traditional games on Wii, and this applies to all over the world. DQSwords probably did sell because of the name yes, but its reason of existence was the Wiimote. Without it, I think it would do a lot worse.

Leezard

Phife Dawg said:

23. hitoman. Hitman.
anjii. Angel perhaps?

#16 should be "Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de", and yes, it's an anime.

donny2112

jibblypop said:
Dead Rising on 360,

Good move on their part. Get in early with a solid effort.

jibblypop said:
Phoenix Wright on DS,

The first three were ports of the GBA games to the successor to the GBA. Only the first had any really new features. This should be chalked up under the "duh" or "meh" columns for Capcom's smart moves.

jibblypop said:
resident evil on Wii

Except it's not. GameCube port + PS2 extras, GameCube port, and a light-gun spinoff? It might as well be the PS2's Resident Evil "support." Unless RE5 or RE4:Gaiden comes out for Wii, this part is incorrect, imo.

jibblypop said:
Monster Hunter on PSP

Good move on their part.

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
The biggest 1st week selling title when it's been awhile since the last new mainline Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest, so people forgot how much those sell in their first weeks.
There's also Pokemon, and NSMB did more as well with 865k first week. SSBB only did like 7k (<1%) less than MHP2, well within the margin of error.

Asylum

Is there anything before MGS4 that can pull the PS3 out of its slump? Whats Mario Karts bump attributed to aswell? Anticipation for the Wii version?

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
There's also Pokemon, and NSMB did more as well with 865k first week. SSBB only did like 7k (<1%) less than MHP2, well within the margin of error.

The use of the (misspelled) word "preeminent" implied that he thought it was far and away the biggest seller for hardcores in Japan, right now. As such, I felt it more applicable to focus on the real "preeminent" hardcore titles in Japan. As far as biggest first week numbers go, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl was eighth since 1996. Guess which games were 1-7.

Asylum said:
Whats Mario Karts bump attributed to aswell?

Normal variation. Mario Kart consistently sells 10-15K each week, anyways.

Psychotext said:

Agreed.

A Link to the Snitch said:
DS needs to have DQIX released, get a major FF release, get an MH game, and/or get a redesign if it wants to return to former glory.

Poor DS. :(

jibblypop

Banned
donny2112 said:
Except it's not. GameCube port + PS2 extras, GameCube port, and a light-gun spinoff? It might as well be the PS2's Resident Evil "support." Unless RE5 or RE4:Gaiden comes out for Wii, this part is incorrect, imo.

I don't understand what your point is here?
I said "you put the right game on the right system and it will sell"

Are you saying that the port of RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles didn't sell well?

Seems to me like putting them on Wii was a VERY smart business move for Capcom. Just like I said.

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
The use of the (misspelled) word "preeminent" implied that he thought it was far and away the biggest seller for hardcores in Japan, right now. As such, I felt it more applicable to focus on the real "preeminent" hardcore titles in Japan.
Well that's why I wanted to know how "hardcore" is defined. I mean, there is surely a sizeable "hardcore" Pokemon audience as well.

donny2112

jibblypop said:
I don't understand what your point is here?

You said they put "resident evil on Wii." They didn't. The real Resident Evil is currently only scheduled for PS360. What the Wii has is what I listed previously.

Jokeropia said:
Well that's why I wanted to know how "hardcore" is defined. I mean, there is surely a sizeable "hardcore" Pokemon audience as well.

I interpreted it more as hardcore = buying day one = highest first week sales.

jibblypop

Banned
donny2112 said:
You said they put "resident evil on Wii." They didn't. The real Resident Evil is currently only scheduled for PS360. What the Wii has is what I listed previously.

What you listed previously are very high selling games. I was talking about sales of those games being high and a smart move. Which it is! No matter what you say, those games sold a hell of a lot and was a smart move by Capcom to release them.
Obviously my list only contained already released games as i can't see into the future for sales of those games (such as RE5).

donny2112

jibblypop said:
What you listed previously are very high selling games.

I was referencing three games.

Resident Evil 4 - decent sales for the third port of the game in 2.5 years, but not great sales on their own.
Resident Evil: UC - great sales for a lightgun spinoff, but still pales next to what the mainline series puts up.
Resident Evil 0 - not out, yet.

donny2112 said:
Normal variation. Mario Kart consistently sells 10-15K each week, anyways.
It is a bit high. For the holidays it peaked at 68K, was 19K the next, and 13.6K the next. The last time it was over 12K was early-mid February. Outside of year end/begin, the last time it passed 15K was last August.

donny2112 said:

Resident Evil 4 - decent sales for the third port of the game in 2.5 years, but not great sales on their own.
Resident Evil: UC - great sales for a lightgun spinoff, but still pales next to what the mainline series puts up.

Not necessarily, Umbrella Chronicles beat RE4 on the Gamecube. Although, that isn't too impressive.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
It is a bit high. For the holidays it peaked at 68K, was 19K the next, and 13.6K the next. The last time it was over 12K was early-mid February. Outside of year end/begin, the last time it passed 15K was last August.

It sold 14K last week. This week is only a ~2K bump.

Stopsign said:
Not necessarily, Umbrella Chronicles beat RE4 on the Gamecube. Although, that isn't too impressive.

The sales for RE4 on GameCube were truncated by the annoucement of the PS2 port. :( Very dumb move on Capcom's part. (Not the port, but the announcement of the port before the GCN version released.)

Also, Umbrella Chronicles more closely matches the first Gun Survivor in concept (light-gun game) and in sales.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
donny2112 said:
The sales for RE4 on GameCube were truncated by the annoucement of the PS2 port. :( Very dumb move on Capcom's part.

Seems like no one learned their lesson because NamcoBandai is basically saying Tales of Vesperia will get a PS3 port.

Good job guys, keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Have any light gun games sold better than RE:UC? I thought it did amazing for a light gun game? If it's a ton no need to post a huge list...

Incredible PSP + MH sales, PSP nearly hit 150k, that's far better than any bump I've seen in a while, including Brawl.

Xeke

Banned
Mario Kart is probably my overall favorite DS game. It's so awesome and I'm glad people still buy it.

MHP2G did 823k out of a 837'5k shipment (going by 670k at 80% sell through first day).

Seems I took Geass wrong, 14k had to be for each version first day. Its interesting that the PSP version did as good as the PS2 one, I wonder if we'll see more PS2/PSP games (same day I mean, there are many PS2/PSP games that get released on PS2 way before the portable edition). Good Geass numbers, and good Gundam 00 DS numbers too.

Bad Lux Pain (10k out of 40k shipment) and Umihara Kawase (4k out of 20k) numbers.
Sim City 2 and echochrome held pretty well from last week.

Btw, just in time for a reminder, Star Ocean The Second Evolution is being released on a Wednesday, and just like we learned last time, it looks fairly likely that the "first day" numbers will actually be two days numbers, thus making it look nice at first but pretty bad when the weekly data comes and we notice it didn't expand on the weekend. This reminder applies to Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 too, but this one is actually a Tuesday release, so if we its numbers on Friday, they could be 3 days numbers.

Nolan.

If only psp software sold well on a regular still very impressive though. Anyway i'm still surprised the ps3 is still sinking maybe whats happening with the Psp is the best hope it can have. Well that and the wii to slow down to almost a halt.

Rocksteady33

donny2112 said:

Yes but both games surpassed expectations. Who cares if two of such games are from last gen and the other is light gun game? The fact that it IS a light gun and then went above and beyond what most people think a light gun game could sell proves that the RE series is sitting nicely with the Wii userbase.

Top Bottom