• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

I am just curious how successful Fatal Frame IV will be. On the one hand, it -is- a hardcore franchise, which will probably limit its success - on the other hand, it is niche enough that its core fanbase will probably buy a Wii to buy it. And since it is being published by Nintendo, it will probably be very well promoted. I think that Fatal Frame will be a major test whether original games of "traditional" hardcore franchises can success on the Wii or not.

Innotech

Banned
splattergnome said:
I am just curious how successful Fatal Frame IV will be. On the one hand, it -is- a hardcore franchise, which will probably limit its success - on the other hand, it is niche enough that its core fanbase will probably buy a Wii to buy it. And since it is being published by Nintendo, it will probably be very well promoted. I think that Fatal Frame will be a major test whether original games of "traditional" hardcore franchises can success on the Wii or not.
I have a friend who doesnt really like the Wii but is buying it specifically for FF4. I think a few people might actually do that, but not siginificant amounts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
splattergnome said:

(pre-wii sequel's total sales)*(.80)*(wii's install base)*(.005)=(sequel's LTD)

Durante

PantherLotus said:
If you include (wii's install base) in your formula, don't you need to include the previous platforms' there as well for it to make sense?

And anyway, install base is massively overrated when it comes to this type of game. (See e.g. Disgaea 3's 60% (at least) sales on <10% base)

donny2112

splattergnome said:
I am just curious how successful Fatal Frame IV will be. On the one hand, it -is- a hardcore franchise, which will probably limit its success - on the other hand, it is niche enough that its core fanbase will probably buy a Wii to buy it.

1st week (LTD)

PS2 Fatal Frame 22K (42K)
PS2 Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly 42K (64K)
PS2 Fatal Frame III: The Tormented 47K (69K)

XBX Fatal Frame 2K (_)

Opiate

Durante said:
If you include (wii's install base) in your formula, don't you need to include the previous platforms' there as well for it to make sense?

And anyway, install base is massively overrated when it comes to this type of game. (See e.g. Disgaea 3's 60% (at least) sales on <10% base)

I'm not sure how reliable install base is for any specific game, actually, and definitely not for this type, I agree.

The relevance of install base is only apparent in the larger scheme, when you zoom out far enough. Lots of Wii titles have bombed in Japan, for example -- the third party's lack of success is a constant worry. But if you zoom out farther and include first party, whaddya know? The Wii has sold a very solid amount of software given its LTD install base.

Not to suggest that those smaller sample sizes can't be important -- just that I don't think install base can really be a strong indicator of a game's success/failure until you're looking at the macro level.

Dalthien

Rock_Man said:
Monster Hunter Portable too probably, if you include the PSP the Best and Reprint editions. We have no sales data for the Reprint edition released last April, but it charted in the weekly Dengeki top 50 a couple of times as late as this month.
It will depend on how Famitsu decided to treat the reprint. With Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros., Nintendo did a reprint of the game 18 months after release, and Famitsu treated the reprint as though it was just a new shipment of the original release, and its sales were counted towards the original release. So at this point, we don't know if MHP Best Price reprint was treated as a separate SKU, or if it was just counted as an extra shipment of the original Best Price release.

Someone might have to compare the boxarts of the Best Price release and the reprint, but if it was really just a new shipment of the original Best Price release, then I would guess that it was not tracked separately by Famitsu. However, if it was a brand new product with a new SKU, then we might see it in the Top 500 chart at the end of the year. But I'm leaning towards the former.

m3k

correct me if im wrong, but was the ps3's lowest point in Japan somewhere around eight thousand sold in a week?

donny2112

Dalthien said:
So at this point, we don't know if MHP Best Price reprint was treated as a separate SKU, or if it was just counted as an extra shipment of the original Best Price release.

According to GameFAQs, it was a reprint of the regular version as opposed to a reprint of the BEST version. What does that mean? No clue. It's too bad we weren't getting Famitsu outside the top 30 numbers back in April (that I know of). It might've given us an idea if Famitsu counted it as a new release.

Until Rock_Man mentioned it, I didn't realize there was a reprint of the first Monster Hunter Portable. In that case, cvxfreak's desire to see a 2007 Top 500 to see if the total of the three went over 1 million is well-founded. :)

On a side note, DS9 is my favorite TV Trek series. :D

ethelred

donny2112 said:
According to GameFAQs, it was a reprint of the regular version as opposed to a reprint of the BEST version. What does that mean? No clue. It's too bad we weren't getting Famitsu outside the top 30 numbers back in April (that I know of). It might've given us an idea if Famitsu counted it as a new release.

Until Rock_Man mentioned it, I didn't realize there was a reprint of the first Monster Hunter Portable. In that case, cvxfreak's desire to see a 2007 Top 500 to see if the total of the three went over 1 million is well-founded. :)

There were others?

donny2112 said:

Just checked some more and I think there's going to be a new SKU.

0407_06.jpg

Minna no Golf 4 The Best! - 3,800Y - 8th July 2004

0511_05.jpg

Minna no Golf 4 The Best! - 2,800Y - 2nd November 2005

Famitsu took them as different SKUs (different price, also cover due to the price...). See also different region code, SCPS19301 and SCPS19319.

0608_01.jpg

Monster Hunter Portable The Best! - 3,129Y - 3rd August 2006

0704_01.jpg

Monster Hunter Portable The Best! - 2,079Y - 26th April 2007

As you can see, there's no difference in the cover (because it doesn't say the price) but the price IS different, also if you see the links they have different codes, ULJM08010 and ULJM08014.

Also I doubt it sold 0 in the last 6 months of 2007, thats what the original The Best! re-release did, the reprint with lower price should have sold something in those 6 months to add to the time it was available in the first 6. If its 40,132 or more, PSP will have its second million seller.

Oh, and what about Ryu ga Gotoku?
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/slpm74234.html
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/slpm74253.html
Same price, different cover, different codes :lol

Rock_Man

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Also I doubt it sold 0 in the last 6 months of 2007, thats what the original The Best! re-release did, the reprint with lower price should have sold something in those 6 months to add to the time it was available in the first 6. If its 40,132 or more, PSP will have its second million seller.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As I said, I've seen the reprint edition in the weekly top 50 both in 2007 and 2008, so the game is still selling and it's very likely that it has sold 40k too.

On the other hand, it's still possible that MC/Famitsu overtracked the original release so that the actual sales haven't quite reached a million yet. A lower shipment number would imply that, but I don't know what it is.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:

Durante said:

I'm saying it will sell 80% of what FF3 did with an addition 5/1000'ths to account for the total install base of the Wii. The assumption is that the previous title already has the install base of its home console figured into it.

Anyway, install base, while highly overrated, is not irrelevant. Few games on a dominant console EVER reach 1% sell through, so I think my shot-in-the dark of 0.05% (literally less than one-tenth of one percent) is a pretty arbitrary addition, as is my entire post. ;)

I would like to see how far off from reality it would be by potentially using other games with sequels from one console to the next.

cvxfreak

I like how Capcom's second round price drop with the Gyakuten Saiban series is totally obvious compared to MHP's. :lol

Speaking of that... I think those will be extremely popular... wouldn't be surprised to see the 2000 GS series sell another 100K with each installment.

The M.O.B

donny2112 said:
1st week (LTD)

XBX Fatal Frame 2K (_)
Why again did Nintendo moneyhat FF4? At least sales improved some, but still.

Dalthien

Nice detective work Kurosaki!

I knew the boxarts were the same between MHP Best Price and the reprint, but I wasn't sure if there might be some difference in small print, or on the back of the case or something. But from your searching, it looks like the reprint has a different UPC code from the Best Price version, so in that case, it was probably tracked separately.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Different Famitsu totals.

PS2 Yakuza (BEST) 484K (20071230)
PS2 Yakuza (BEST Reprint) 24K (20080127)

The reprint released the same week as Yakuza 2 (BEST).

cvxfreak said:
Nintendo seems to love securing exclusive horror games each gen.

What was the N64 exclusive?

donny2112

Orgen said:
Resident Evil 0

Oh, yeah. I forgot that that was originally going to be an N64 game.

On Fatal Frame, Nintendo knows it needs more core gamers on the Wii in Japan. Even bringing over a 50K fanbase of core gamers will still be more than they have now a good addition.

Neomoto

The M.O.B said:
Why again did Nintendo moneyhat FF4? At least sales improved some, but still.
The game already was a Wii exclusive before Nintendo would publish it and pay for development/advertising (?) so it's pretty strange that they did this. Perhaps for other reasons besides sales.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:

donny2112 said:
1st week (LTD)

XBX Fatal Frame 2K (_)

I must've missed this. Thanks donny.

With my ridiculous equation:

69k*.8 = 55200
+ 5,600,000*.005= 28000
===========

Yeah that's a bit high. I would change the .005 and vary it between .001 and .005 to get the proper range of expected results. I think the person that mentioned install base for the previous console being important has a valid point now. We'd need to know what the install base at the time of release would be to really test this.

Let's test out my Sequel Estimator on various other games. This could be fun!

A = Previous Game's LTD
B = Previous Game's Console Install base at time of release
C= Sequel
D= Sequel's Console Install bast at time of release

x= variable based on the idea that sequels garner less sales (.70-.90?)
y= variable based on the idea that console install base matters (.001-.005?)

Proposed equation:

(Ax)-(A/B)+(Dy)=C

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
donny2112 said:
Oh, yeah. I forgot that that was originally going to be an N64 game.

On Fatal Frame, Nintendo knows it needs more core gamers on the Wii in Japan. Even bringing over a 50K fanbase of core gamers will still be more than they have now a good addition.
:lol

I wonder how long Sony plans to keep the PSP on the market. 5 yrs? I dunno what kind of software support they'll have.

I think with a half-decent advertising campaign Fatal Frame 4 could pull in about 100k (LTD). Not much more than that I'm afraid.

That reminds me though, I really should get back to playing FF2 sometime(really dig the combat, very deep stuff).

Y2Kev said:
:lol

I wonder how long Sony plans to keep the PSP on the market. 5 yrs? I dunno what kind of software support they'll have.

They'll want it to act as a bolster for the faltering PS3 sales, so the PSP should be up there for a while yet.

Neomoto said:
The game already was a Wii exclusive before Nintendo would publish it and pay for development/advertising (?) so it's pretty strange that they did this. Perhaps for other reasons besides sales.

Nintendo are just making friends amongst 3rd parties

Gaborn

Pureauthor said:
They'll want it to act as a bolster for the faltering PS3 sales, so the PSP should be up there for a while yet.

Doesn't faltering imply that at one point the PS3 was a successful console?

donny2112 said:
Different Famitsu totals.

PS2 Yakuza (BEST) 484K (20071230)
PS2 Yakuza (BEST Reprint) 24K (20080127)

The reprint released the same week as Yakuza 2 (BEST).
Well, that's about wraps it up, there must a be a new SKU for MHP The Best lower priced edition.

Quickly had a look at sinobi to find some info from upcoming releases next week.

About Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5, last year (4) it did 180k on PS2 and 50k on PS3. So 74%:26%. PS2 release did really good (best selling entry ever) mostly thanks to continued sales after first week, see below for weekly sales...and total for the 3 weeks:
PS2: 39k &#8594; 48k &#8594; 24k: 111k
PS3: 18k &#8594; 15k &#8594; 6k: 39k

sinobi compares it with Winning Post to say PS3 is expected to gain some ground.
&#12300;2007&#12301;PS2&#65306;PS3&#65309;62%&#65306;38%
&#12300;2008&#12301;PS2&#65306;PS3&#65309;51%&#65306;49%

Musou Orochi sequel is also released next week, the original did pretty well with a 380k opening and reaching half a million (650k LTD actually).

Interestingly enough, sinobi also cites 100k as Enix expectations for Star Ocean Second Evolution. He also mentions that because of price collapse of the previous title, the new one is short of stock.

Also, this...
61Wqc2UTwJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Arde5643

Neomoto said:
Perhaps it's also because it's cheaper to moneyhat.

So rather than trying to get the main giant franchises like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, they decided that the smaller franchises like Fatal Frame and Monster Hunter (console version, not portable) will be more profitable.

I guess they're also betting on the Wii owners thirst for hardcore games such as these - it seems to have worked for Grasshopper's NMH.

lopaz

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Perhaps it's also because it's cheaper to moneyhat.

So rather than trying to get the main giant franchises like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, they decided that the smaller franchises like Fatal Frame and Monster Hunter (console version, not portable) will be more profitable.

I guess they're also betting on the Wii owners thirst for hardcore games such as these - it seems to have worked for Grasshopper's NMH.

People buy NMH cause it's awesome

So thinking again of how many million sellers remain in the Famitsu Top 30 these days, I was wondering what the record is. Or for that matter, what's the record for, say, number of 3-million sellers in the Top 30. So I made some SQL queries to find the tops; at least from PS2 and on.

1+ million sellers (Current record: 13 on 2008-01-07)
2+ million sellers (Current record: 7 on 2008-01-07)
3+ million sellers (Current record: 5 on many occasions; mostly first half 2007)
4+ million sellers (Current record: 4 on many occasions; mostly mid-2007)
5+ million sellers (Current record: 2 on 2008-01-07; NSMB and Diamond/Pearl)

donny2112

You can use 'between ... and' instead of two separate statements to do a range including the endpoints.

Also, the most 1+million sellers before the PS2 in a single Famitsu Top 30 (post-1996) was six.

Edit:
Also, the closest to two 5+ million sellers before the DS was the week of Jan 3-9, 2000 when Pokemon Red/Green/Blue (5.6 million) and Pokemon Gold/Silver (4.4 million) were both in the Top 30.

Rolf NB

MisterHero said:
Metroid Prime 3 is still hanging on! Wow!
In Japan no less, where first-person-anything games usually face some struggling in the uphill direction. It fills my porous rock heart with joy.

Vinnk

MHP2G is sold out at all the gaming stores in my town (Wanpaku, Famicom Dojo, etc.) but there are still a few copies at the department stores. At least there were as of Monday, they might be gone by now. This title will be huge.

Top Bottom