• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rocksteady33 said:
Yes but both games surpassed expectations. Who cares if two of such games are from last gen and the other is light gun game? The fact that it IS a light gun and then went above and beyond what most people think a light gun game could sell proves that the RE series is sitting nicely with the Wii userbase.

I think donny's point might be that Capcom's Resident Evil support isn't really all that significant.

donny2112

Rocksteady33 said:
Yes but both games surpassed expectations. Who cares if two of such games are from last gen and the other is light gun game? The fact that it IS a light gun and then went above and beyond what most people think a light gun game could sell proves that the RE series is sitting nicely with the Wii userbase.

Which is unfortunate for Capcom, since they put the main Resident Evil series on PS360. Hardly more evidence of Capcom's "smart moves" this generation. ;)

schuelma said:
I think donny's point might be that Capcom's Resident Evil support isn't really all that significant.

Something along those lines, yes. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:

The same could be said of PW and Mega Man on DS...

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
I interpreted it more as hardcore = buying day one = highest first week sales.
Which would put Pokemon among the highest. Or did you interpret "preeminent hardcore audience" as "most people buy day one"/"most frontloaded highest first week sales"? (Hence only mentioning DQ and FF in your original post as they're frontloaded while Pokemon is not.)

Definitely Monster Hunter Portable 2G is the proof that the right games on the right time can sell very well on PSP. The hype behind Monster Hunter Portable build itself slow, but surely. Then we saw the first boom with MHP2, and this G interation is only the confirmation that PSP has found its Must-Have franchise in Japan. The bad thing is this game will have no effect in occident, where the DS is still selling like crazy. Things seems to have changes only in Japan with the Slim version.

At this point, I suspect taht Nintendo, even after 22 millions DS sold, should start to think that it's time for a redesign or a big games like NSMB2.
Nintendo dropped the DS support too quickly in favor to the Wii and I suspect that PSP is somehow benefiting from that. The fact that DS software that i selling is for a big part formed by games that came out 1-2 or even 3 years support this theory. They are like Super Mario Bros for the NES, but even the NES needed Super Mario Bros. 3 to win the battle against the new console from Sega. In other words, the DS needs a big Nintendo game. One is enough in my opinion is this one is a 2D Super Mario Bros. If Nintendo choice to wait and see, Third Parties, after MH success, could start to develop massively on PSP. It could be, since PS3 software and hardware sales are so pathetics.

Of course Dragon Quest IX is the life insurance for DS for this year, but a strong PSP means also that Square-Enix could start to think that a PSP port would be soo profitable. And we all know that Square-Enix behave like the wind.
In other words, only because Nintendo is now the leader, it doesn't mean that Sony is out of the race: a come-back is still possible (PSP Slim proved it hardware-wise. Software-wise: not yet, even with MHP2G) and if they keep seeing themself as unreachable, things could change once again...

donny2112

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Of course Dragon Quest IX is the life insurance for DS for this year, but a strong PSP means also that Square-Enix could start to think that a PSP port would be soo profitable.

Dragon Quest could've always been ported to another system for a dual-release in the past, but it never was. Why would this change now?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Pureauthor said:
Capcom's been making smart moves since last generation. Well, except insofar that the handling of their console Mega Man is concerned. The series really is better off on handhelds, at least for now.

Capcom <3. Best 3rd party dev ever.

You can not say that with a straight face, considering they chose Mobile for their latest Breath of Fire game. So that is not a smart move.

No proper Breath of Fire 6 is never a smart move.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
donny2112 said:
Dragon Quest could've always been ported to another system for a dual-release in the past, but it never was. Why would this change now?

DQ1 was ported to every system on the planet...

But DQ9 won't be ported, the game will sell millions (4-5 millions), a number that no PSP game has a chance to catch, and it's probable that in Japan most PSP owners also have a DS...

And it wouldn't be easy to port DQ9 to the PSP... remember the DS has a lot of extra funcionality that DQ9 will surely use, like microphone, double screen, touch screen, etc.

donny2112

manueldelalas said:
DQ1 was ported to every system on the planet...

I'm only finding a MSX and NES release, which is still more than I expected. DQII was the same way. I'm not talking about porting the game years down the line. I'm talking about a relatively close together release of the same new DQ game on multiple platforms. Since apparently DQIII, it's been a one system game.

Gaborn

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
At this point, I suspect taht Nintendo, even after 22 millions DS sold, should start to think that it's time for a redesign or a big games like NSMB2.
Nintendo dropped the DS support too quickly in favor to the Wii and I suspect that PSP is somehow benefiting from that. The fact that DS software that i selling is for a big part formed by games that came out 1-2 or even 3 years support this theory. They are like Super Mario Bros for the NES, but even the NES needed Super Mario Bros. 3 to win the battle against the new console from Sega. In other words, the DS needs a big Nintendo game. One is enough in my opinion is this one is a 2D Super Mario Bros. If Nintendo choice to wait and see, Third Parties, after MH success, could start to develop massively on PSP. It could be, since PS3 software and hardware sales are so pathetics.

Um... just a hunch, but with a what, 12-13 million unit lead still, and with a complete and utter lack of price drop I don't think Nintendo has much reason to worry. Especially since MH is going to Wii next.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Definitely Monster Hunter Portable 2G is the proof that the right games on the right time can sell very well on PSP. The hype behind Monster Hunter Portable build itself slow, but surely. Then we saw the first boom with MHP2, and this G interation is only the confirmation that PSP has found its Must-Have franchise in Japan. The bad thing is this game will have no effect in occident, where the DS is still selling like crazy. Things seems to have changes only in Japan with the Slim version.

Of course Dragon Quest IX is the life insurance for DS for this year, but a strong PSP means also that Square-Enix could start to think that a PSP port would be soo profitable. And we all know that Square-Enix behave like the wind.
In other words, only because Nintendo is now the leader, it doesn't mean that Sony is out of the race: a come-back is still possible (PSP Slim proved it hardware-wise. Software-wise: not yet, even with MHP2G) and if they keep seeing themself as unreachable, things could change once again...

Mithos, no offense, but name one PSP game that is coming out this year that will sell well. Just one. I don't think I even know of one. Maybe Star Ocean 2? Thats all I got.

Edit: Looking through the Gamefaqs release list, I'll also add that Super Robot Taisen will sell 100-150k.

Stopsign said:
Mithos, no offense, but name one PSP game that is coming out this year that will sell well. Just one. I don't think I even know of one. Maybe Star Ocean 2? Thats all I got.

Edit: Looking through the Gamefaqs release list, I'll also add that Super Robot Taisen will sell 100-150k.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.:D

The M.O.B

PantherLotus said:
:lol you sure told him

Who said I was talking to him? Are both ideas not popular among MC/sales threads? It should be I sure told them as in the number of people who are still waiting around for it.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
If Nintendo choice to wait and see, Third Parties, after MH success, could start to develop massively on PSP. It could be, since PS3 software and hardware sales are so pathetics.

Monster Hunter has been successfull before 2G, that didn't really help other titles though. Why would it be different this time around? There will always be games coming to PSP because apparently you can make profit with certain titles but there won't be a massive shift.

DS doesn't need a life-insurance, maybe it's just a wrong choice of words? I think a DQIX port sounds more like a pipe-dream than a realistic possibility for reasons already stated.

And PSP is out of the race for No. 1, it won't catch up. That's it, Sony is happy with the hw sales, of that we can be sure though.

Parl

The M.O.B said:
Similar to how people believe wii third party support is going to improve.
I'm guessing they're the same people who thought that 3rd party best efforts on DS would stop being just shovelware and mini-game collections that use the DS's unqiue interface for the sake of it.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
Which is unfortunate for Capcom, since they put the main Resident Evil series on PS360. Hardly more evidence of Capcom's "smart moves" this generation. ;)

Something along those lines, yes. :)

Why do u think this is a bad move by capcom considering they have already shipped 2 million copies of DMC4 at a 60 dollar price point. Which is more than either RE4 or RE:UC. And will most certainly move at least that many of copies of RE5.

donny2112

1) In Japan it will tank compared to previous series iterations.
2) There is an obvious worldwide RE fanbase on the Wii, but without any mainline games coming their way.

There's also the usual development cost, etc. to consider, but that's more of a vague concept without hard numbers. Suffice it to say that it's likely that 2 million sold on PS360 would generate less profit than 2 million sold on Wii if Capcom hadn't already started development on the title.

That is why I said it was unfortunate for Capcom. As such, their handling of the Resident Evil series this generation shouldn't be praised as a clear "smart move" on Capcom's part, at this point, which was how this conversation started.

andthebeatgoeson

donny2112 said:
2) There is an obvious worldwide RE fanbase on the Wii, but without any mainline games coming their way.

There's also the usual development cost, etc. to consider, but that's more of a vague concept without hard numbers. Suffice it to say that it's likely that 2 million sold on PS360 would generate less profit than 2 million sold on Wii if Capcom hadn't already started development on the title.

That is why I said it was unfortunate for Capcom. As such, their handling of the Resident Evil series this generation shouldn't be praised as a clear "smart move" on Capcom's part, at this point, which was how this conversation started.
I'll buy your newsletter if you get behind my dream of RE5Wii. Come on, somebody make a petition. This is criminal. Hell, will pointer controls, you could totally change some portions of the gameplay, like let you move while shooting. Then they could ramp up the speed of the enemies. Hell, 50 can run at me but if I can move and shoot, it'll make it that much fun. They could finally abort the tank controls and step into the new millenium. Pointer controls from RE4Wii were that damn good.

After that last vid where everybody runs up to you, just to stop and slowly march towards you, was a let down. Hopefully, that's just an animation place holder or something. I'm sure quite a few people got their hopes up from the initial showing that RE5's enemies would be like 28 Days Later zombies, not Night of the Living Dead types. But, with a Wii version and pointer controls, you could remove a good portion of the tank controls. Dodging would be easy; just shake. Shooting while on the run would easy. Hell, shooting while on the run from 50 people could replicate the horror some say was missing from RE4. It would be different but any long-running successful series has to adopt. I think the tank controls made sense a long time ago and probably was a design choice. Now, we don't need it and the gamers have spoken; RE4 shows people want a different and improved experience.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
holy crap. I can understand Mithos' posts now :eek:

those english classes are going really well it seems and you are getting a lot better. now if only teasel would not skip classes...

gtj1092

donny2112 said:

The games cost 10 dollars more. Where do you think that money goes. Once a game makes back its budget the higher priced game becomes more profitable per unit sale than the lower priced one. Even if lets say the PS360 version cost lets say 20 million dollars to a 10 million dollar Wii budget the developer makes up the difference in development cost with the extra 10 dollar base price over the first million copies sold. Anything shipped after that at full retail price gives an extra 10 dollar profit that the Wii doesn't provide unless they also charge more for the Wii version.

This why developers still make big games for the PS360 it has a great reward possibility for the risk involved. Its like big budget movies sure you can make cheap movies and stay profitable or you can make an epic(not saying big games can't be made on Wii) and make huge profits or you can also lose a lot of money. Thats why you do both to maintain a good business that is stable but also increase revenue and profit. Unfortunately for Wii owners developers are using the Wii for the budget titles and Ps360 for the bigger titles instead of spreading the wealth amongst all the consoles.

gtj1092 said:
The games cost 10 dollars more. Where do you think that money goes. Once a game makes back its budget the higher priced game becomes more profitable per unit sale than the lower priced one. Even if lets say the PS360 version cost lets say 20 million dollars to a 10 million dollar Wii budget the developer makes up the difference in development cost with the extra 10 dollar base price over the first million copies sold. Anything shipped after that at full retail price gives an extra 10 dollar profit that the Wii doesn't provide unless they also charge more for the Wii version.

This why developers still make big games for the PS360 it has a great reward possibility for the risk involved. Its like big budget movies sure you can make cheap movies and stay profitable or you can make an epic(not saying big games can't be made on Wii) and make huge profits or you can also lose a lot of money. Thats why you do both to maintain a good business that is stable but also increase revenue and profit. Unfortunately for Wii owners developers are using the Wii for the budget titles and Ps360 for the bigger titles instead of spreading the wealth amongst all the consoles.
What's 10 million dollars divided by 10 dollars again?

Vinnk

Arde5643 said:
Is it even good? Any J-Gaffers care to comment on the game?

I like it a lot. It is like a Wii Sports+ If you liked Wii Sports, you will like Deca Sports. If you didn't like Wii Sports, you will feel the same about this one.

I played it at TGS and really enjoyed it. I need to get the full version, maybe after the honeymoon.

lopaz

Banned
Vinnk said:
I like it a lot. It is like a Wii Sports+ If you liked Wii Sports, you will like Deca Sports. If you didn't like Wii Sports, you will feel the same about this one.

I played it at TGS and really enjoyed it. I need to get the full version, maybe after the honeymoon.

How intelligent is the motion sensing? Far as I'm aware Wii sports is the only sports game so far that actually takes into account what type of motion you make, and doesn't just take it like a button press

apujanata

Segata Sanshiro said:
What's 10 million dollars divided by 10 dollars again?
Not to mention the fact the Capcom might not see all of those 10 dollars as profit for them because :
- If license fee is fixed value, it migh be a different figure on Wii & X360 & PS3.
- If license fee is a percentage of List price, not fixed value, the higher the list price, the bigger the license fee, the bigger the license, which will eat into the 10 dollars higher MSRP profit.
- Retailer cut might be bigger (if it is a percentage of list price, instead of a fixed value).

donny2112

I don't quite understand Segata Sanshiro's comment, so I could be missing something important. That said ...

gtj1092 said:

There are some good points in there, but you can't assume that all of the $10 extra cost is going to the publisher. If the publisher had raised the wholesale cost by $10 per game, the retailer would've raised it more than $10 to keep their profit margin equal. The $20 million vs. $10 million is also suspect, but as I said, development costs, etc. are a vague concept without hard numbers.

I still feel that Capcom would've been much better served to either have a Wii version of RE5 or a RE4:Gaiden in development at this point. As such, "resident evil on Wii" should not be used as an example of a "smart move" by Capcom this generation, so far.

gtj1092 said:

Capcom almost never advertised any Wii games while DMC4 and LP saturated the airwaves.

People always underestimate advertising costs.

jeremy1456

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Third Parties, after MH success, could start to develop massively on PSP.

If they were going to be swayed by a single game don't you think that would have happened a while ago with Monster Hunter 2 Portable?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I seriously, seriously doubt that Square-Enix would ever port the game to the PSP. The game will make them a ton of money on the DS, and given the userbase of the system it seems that almost all gamers already own one. There would be absolutely no point.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
A come-back is still possible (PSP Slim proved it hardware-wise. Software-wise: not yet, even with MHP2G) and if they keep seeing themself as unreachable, things could change once again...

It's not even possible. In order for it to happen the DS would have to immediately stop selling, and Sony would have to release a new PSP color every week (with a redesign every month), and Capcom a new Monster Hunter every week also. Even then it would take a few years.

As a PSP owner I want the system to be successful but let's not abandon logic here.

donny2112 said:
I don't quite understand Segata Sanshiro's comment, so I could be missing something important. That said ...

There are some good points in there, but you can't assume that all of the $10 extra cost is going to the publisher. If the publisher had raised the wholesale cost by $10 per game, the retailer would've raised it more than $10 to keep their profit margin equal. The $20 million vs. $10 million is also suspect, but as I said, development costs, etc. are a vague concept without hard numbers.

I still feel that Capcom would've been much better served to either have a Wii version of RE5 or a RE4:Gaiden in development at this point. As such, "resident evil on Wii" should not be used as an example of a "smart move" by Capcom this generation, so far.
Basically, what I'm getting at is that if one is trying to use the $10 extra as a means of defraying a budget different of $10 million, one would have to sell 1 million more copies just to cover the budget difference. $10 adds up, but it takes a lot of dirt to make a mountain.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

:lol @ Dragon Quest IX being "life insurance" for the DS. The DS doesn't need life insurance. The PSP could get the new DQIX and FFXIII --- it still wouldn't help it at this point. People are still stuck on the last two gens -- the days of Square-Enix determining who the generation's console/handheld winner is over. Their games aren't the top selling titles on any system this gen, even on the Sony platforms.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Basically, what I'm getting at is that if one is trying to use the $10 extra as a means of defraying a budget different of $10 million, one would have to sell 1 million more copies just to cover the budget difference. $10 adds up, but it takes a lot of dirt to make a mountain.

Is there any popular M-rated series right now that wouldn't sell a million more copies on PS3/PC/360 than it would as a Wii exclusive?

I'm thinking something on the level of COD, AC, DMC, HL2, soon-to-be GTA4, and yes, even RE5.

What would be a 2million selling 'success' on Wii could easily sell 4 million on the other platforms combined. The Wii isn't competing against just the PS3, or just the 360, for the attention of 3rd party developers, it's competing against a well-established multiplatform framework, no pun intended.

Looking just at Japan, I don't see any reason why the PS3 version won't at least approach the PS2 version of RE4 (if the release in late 08/early 09) in the 400k range, and WW it will do much better.

cvxfreak

donny, I'd hold off on the assumptions that Capcom hasn't been smart with RE this gen. They clearly have. Their low budget efforts have surpassed expectations and have generally garnered praise on the Wii.

With RE5, the series may lose sales in Japan, but we still don't know what the 360 will do for the series to offset that drop.

jeremy1456

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Looking just at Japan, I don't see any reason why the PS3 version won't at least approach the PS2 version of RE4 (if the release in late 08/early 09) in the 400k range, and WW it will do much better.

I'm actually predicting about half of that due to the small userbase of the PS3.

Worldwide I think the 360 version will sell more.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
donny, I'd hold off on the assumptions that Capcom hasn't been smart with RE this gen.

This started with the statement of "resident evil on Wii" as an example of Capcom's smart moves this generation. I essentially responded that the real Resident Evil was not on Wii, at this point, and was currently scheduled to be a PS360 exclusive. As such, "resident evil on Wii" doesn't actually match reality.

Capcom found they had a pretty decent audience for Resident Evil on Wii, and have none of the "real" Resident Evil games lined up for that audience. As such, they've missed a big opportunity, to this point. Thus,

donny2112 said:
their handling of the Resident Evil series this generation shouldn't be praised as a clear "smart move" on Capcom's part, at this point, which was how this conversation started.

An announcement of RE5:Wii or RE4:Gaiden for Wii would change that, in my opinion.

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
This started with the statement of "resident evil on Wii" as an example of Capcom's smart moves this generation. I essentially responded that the real Resident Evil was not on Wii, at this point, and was currently scheduled to be a PS360 exclusive. As such, "resident evil on Wii" doesn't actually match reality.

Capcom found they had a pretty decent audience for Resident Evil on Wii, and have none of the "real" Resident Evil games lined up for that audience. As such, they've missed a big opportunity, to this point. Thus,

An announcement of RE5:Wii or RE4:Gaiden for Wii would change that, in my opinion.

"Real Resident Evil" is a rather dubious statement to make, especially since Capcom has always shown interest in diversifying the series portfolio for the last few years. Moreover, Umbrella Chronicles is absolutely important to the series plotline and is a necessary game to play through to understand the story. Umbrella Chronicles is just as different from the main series as RE4 was, and we have CODE: Veronica to prove that we don't need a number to be a main installment.

I think Umbrella Chronicles is a fair take on a legitimate RE installment for the Wii. Its sales, worldwide especially, prove that a good chunk of RE fans are taking it seriously. So, I agree with the other poster that Resident Evil on Wii has been a smart decision by Capcom this generation.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I think Umbrella Chronicles is a fair take on a legitimate RE installment for the Wii. Its sales, worldwide especially, prove that a good chunk of RE fans are taking it seriously. So, I agree with the other poster that Resident Evil on Wii has been a smart decision by Capcom this generation.

I say this as someone who bought and enjoyed RE:UC- It absolutely pales in comparison to a true RE title and if the best Capcom gives Wii owners is RE:UC the sequel I will be sorely sorely disappointed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The M.O.B said:
Who said I was talking to him? Are both ideas not popular among MC/sales threads? It should be I sure told them as in the number of people who are still waiting around for it.

I guess I'm just so conditioned to see ridiculously stupid responses around here I saw your post as a tit-for-tat response to the PSP-insult. I mean, there's no way anybody could construe from your post that that's what you meant, right?

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
I say this as someone who bought and enjoyed RE:UC- It absolutely pales in comparison to a true RE title and if the best Capcom gives Wii owners is RE:UC the sequel I will be sorely sorely disappointed.

That's understandable, but that doesn't mean Capcom hasn't been smart with RE on Wii this gen. They definitely have, and the generation has a few more years before one can truly judge.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
That's understandable, but that doesn't mean Capcom hasn't been smart with RE on Wii this gen. They definitely have, and the generation has a few more years before one can truly judge.

I think we probably agree- I'm more withholding judgment. I don't blame Capcom for testing the waters given the uncertainty surrounding the Wii at launch. But if after RE4 and RE:UC they don't step up with a real high budget effort, I won't consider them having been "smart" with Wii.

Top Bottom