• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Summer 2014, Wii U Winter 2014

test_account

XP-39C²
They keep saying that they will discuss that at a later date. I guess if Wii U isn't out until winter, they've got plenty of time to discuss these feature as that version approaches.
I see. I wonder what the connectivity will be. If i should guess, it would be some trading mechanic somehow. Or maybe unlock some progression (kinda like cross save).

RiggyRob

Well, it says Winter 2014 on the official Smash Bros facebook now, so I guess that puts that to rest.

I'm more inclined to follow the actual website instead of the Facebook page, which still says 'Planned Release: 2014'

I'm just gonna follow NeoGAF's tagline and
BELIEVE

KDC720

Interesting. I'll probably end up getting both versions, but it will be nice to have some smash in the summer.

On one hand, I'm happy that we'll be getting a new Smash Bros. in the Summer.

On the other, I don't think it's wise to put the 3DS version out first, and I would much rather enjoy the characters first in HD...

Ah, well. Summer Smash Bros. woo!

Aww last gen programming is hard! .....for a team that took a 6 year break from cutting edge coding. Welcome to 2008 Nintendo!

How does this being developed by Namco work into this I wonder? I don't know much about the specifics of the dev team but I am pretty sure they are not just stepping into HD graphics development.

Andrew.

Banned
You all are delusional if you think X or Bayo will release this year, let alone this Summer.

After Kart 8 we have jack and shit.

javac

SM3DW had better graphics, extra exclusives etc over SM3DL and yet a lot of people were burned out from SM3DL or just didn't consider is it worthy buying a new console for SM3DW. The same happened with NSMBU. And DKC:TF.

Yes, the Wii U version look gorgeous, yes and the Wii U owners will buy it, but how many people will buy a new console for the prettier version of a game that they played months ago? It didn't work with the previous games, why it will work with SSB?

At list MK8 has more things going and it is the best looking game on the system.

Fighting games are crazy and so are it's fans. Smash isn't a typical fighting game for the most part neither are its fans but if you look at fighting games you get soo many iterations and each time the fans get hyped. They'll announce some god-tier exclusive characters and features/modes/levels and improve the visuals a bit before launch, have the best online etc and people will get excited. It's the flagship release in every single way. Some people may like the painted look of the 3DS game or whatever but the Wii U version might as well be called Super Smash Bros. Definitive HD Edition.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You all are delusional if you think X or Bayo will release this year, let alone this Summer.

Who knows on X, but Bayo has been dated for Summer in Japan since a few months ago. I would be very surprised if Bayo wasn't out by this Fall.

Makes sense, I guess.

If both were released in the same period, people would just chose one or the other. They'll sell a ton more of the 3DS version by releasing it first, because most of the Wii U owners (like myself) wouldn't have bought it otherwise. And then a few months later, when people are bored of the bare bones 3DS version, Nintendo will start hyping up the Wii U version with it's shinier graphics and extra content.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyway, there goes the chance of having a great MK8 - SSB4 combo. I looking forward to the momentum building after the MK8, that Iwata was specifically talking in January.

MechaZain

Banned
Surprised how many people are down on the 3DS version here. Local play is cool but I'll take portability and the system that my friends actually have over that anyday.

Not to hate on the Wii U version, just handheld Smash is a no brainer take my money purchase.

Ricky 7

We don't even know what the exclusive Wii U content will be, I think you are being a little cynical to the situation. Let's see what Nintendo does at E3 and then judge the Wii U version.
I guess so but I still can't help feel a little upset about this news since Smash Bros. is my favourite video game series ever so I wanted to experience the best version first. Then again Sakurai is an amazing dev so I should trust his decision.
Maybe different modes and versions exclusive characters. No one knows.

Yeah different is probably going to happen but there will be no console exclusive characters, that's already been confirmed.

Makes sense, I guess.

If both were released in the same period, people would just chose one or the other. They'll sell a ton more of the 3DS version by releasing it first, because most of the Wii U owners (like myself) wouldn't have bought it otherwise. And then a few months later, when people are bored of the bare bones 3DS version, Nintendo will start hyping up the Wii U version with it's shinier graphics and extra content.

Exactly. Had no interest in the 3DS version. Now I can play it until the bigger and better looking with more contest version comes out.

Banned
Pikmin 3 and TW101 get moved from launch window (nov 2012-Mar 2013) to August and September 2013. DKCTF goes from November 2013 to February 2014. Now 2014 launch for Smash ends up being Q1 2015 lol. Bayonetta 2 and X aren't coming this year are they?

MilkybKid

Neo Member
Okay, completely honest question, do we have a previous example (that we can link to online) stating a Winter _______ title from Nintendo that did not release in seasonal Winter?

If someone can link me to one, I'll change the title to be generic.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/wii-party-u-wii-fit-u-out-winter-2013/

Says that Wii Party U will be out winter 2013

Release date October 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Party_U

Wii Fit U was also delayed to winter 2013

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-wii-party-u-wii-fit-u-delayed

was released on the E-Shop November and physical early December

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit_U

I think they only see summer and winter, no spring and fall/autumn so they can packaged into wherever is needed.

Hope this puts pay to the 2015 stuff, although I still expect the 2015 number to spread across the net like wildfire even with this info :p

When Nintendo say winter they seem to mean October-December as well.

maxcriden

Bayo could still come this year, but X I have no idea on. I'm just hoping there are plenty of games to still come out before Smash, like Yarn Yoshi and some unannounced games. Heck, I'll gladly take anther S/NES Remix or two this year (not to mention the planned multitude of indie games)!

213372bu

Banned
I don't know why everyone is fussy.

Iwata said that SSB 4 is scheduled for this calendar year

Sakurai said he will try and do his best to make sure that it comes out as planned, which is by the end of this year.

Stop trying to debate things not there. If you want to be "technical" than you'd know that Winter of 2014 includes Jan+Feb+Mar of 2014. I'm not sure if intentional jimmy rustling is occurring here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Fighting games are crazy and so are it's fans. Smash isn't a typical fighting game for the most part neither are its fans but if you look at fighting games you get soo many iterations and each time the fans get hyped. They'll announce some god-tier exclusive characters and features/modes/levels and improve the visuals a bit before launch, have the best online etc and people will get excited. It's the flagship release in every single way. Some people may like the painted look of the 3DS game or whatever but the Wii U version might as well be called Super Smash Bros. Definitive HD Edition.

Didn't they just say that the rooster will be the same? So you think they lied on purpose to sell the 3ds version better?

Onesimos

I would not mind the release dates difference between the 3DS and Wii U versions. At least I can enjoy Smash Bros. earlier while waiting for the HD version.

I am excited for both versions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think they only have summer and winter, no spring and fall/autumn so they can packaged into whereever is needed.

Hope this puts pay to the 2015 stuff.
Okay thank you for actually finding that.

I'll remove the date ranges from the OP then as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Zelda Musou. Hot shit man. Nobody asked for that. Not even the seven people in the world that play Dynasty Warriors.

All that Nintendo frustration. I totally get it now. And I'm not even a diehard Smash fan like you guys. I just wanted something I knew would be fun to play between June and September. Fuckin blows dude.

Banned
Can't get excited for a fighter like smash with 4 players in a wide stage on a 4.88" touchscreen. I don't see the Wii U version getting extra content since sakurai said he wasn't doing DLC characters. So what's the reason for people to buy the U version after buying the 3DS version? Graphics and a bigger screen? New maps?

No thanks. I'll skip the 3DS version and wait for the true smash bros experience in winter 2015.

maxcriden

Zelda Musou. Hot shit man. Nobody asked for that. Not even the seven people in the world that play Dynasty Warriors.

All that Nintendo frustration. I totally get it now. And I'm not even a diehard Smash fan like you guys. I just wanted something I knew would be fun to play between June and September. Fuckin blows dude.

Wait for E3, Drew. Then worry!

javac

Makes sense, I guess.

Exactly. Spreading them apart allows you to reel them back in again when they're thirsty. Not everyone will bite again but most of these people would have went for the 3DS version if they released simultaneously regardless *cue everyone saying they were going to get the Wii U version but now aren't*

Sakura

From the IGN article: "During its pre-E3 Nintendo Direct today, Nintendo confirmed that Wii Party U has been delayed to October"

Retail version came out in January 2014 in NA and February 2014 in Japan.

Hope this puts pay to the 2015 stuff, when Nintendo say winter they seem to mean October-december as well.
I disagree.

edit: As an example of another game (by a different company): http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/15/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-launches-winter-2012/ The game was delayed to Winter 2012 and came out in January 2013. It is not uncommon for Japanese companies to use this wording.

Exactly. Spreading them apart allows you to reel them back in again when they're thirsty. Not everyone will bite again but most of these people would have went for the 3DS version if they released simultaneously regardless *cue everyone saying they were going to get the Wii U version but now aren't*

I was going to get both regardless. But I'm pretty sure that the Super Smash 3DS summer release date, has just convinced me to upgrade to a 3DS XL and sell my launch 3DS.

javac

Didn't they just say that the rooster will be the same? So you think they lied on purpose to sell the 3ds version better?

To be fair I haven't even watched the direct...directly. Just looked at the trailers with the volume off and gawked at the amazing graphics on the superior Wii U version.

Rikkun

Just preordered the 3DS version. I'll get the WiiU version if I'll still be interested.. but 60€ for a game I already have played for months (and payed 40€)... eh. Good job Nintendo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait for E3, Drew. Then worry!

Yeah, but E3 is beginning of June. That means no retail game announced at E3 will release until July. NoA doesn't do July, so August. So best case scenario late July in EU and August in NA for the next retail 1st party game on Wii U.

Albo

The 3DS version was always going to be the main moneymaker out of the two. The Wii U version would get a boost if they manage a holiday 2014 release, plus MK8 sales will have increased the Wii U install base somewhat by the time smash releases. Besides, there might be development issues going on internally we don't know about that caused the delay.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah, but E3 is beginning of June. That means no retail game announced at E3 will release until July. NoA doesn't do July, so August. So best case scenario late July in EU and August in NA for the next retail 1st party game on Wii U.

Assuming no delays* I would guess at this roughly for a schedule:

August- Bayo 2
September- Hyrule Warriors
Oct/Nov- NFC casual game
Nov/Dec- Smash.

I think X makes it late 2014 in Japan, 2015 elsewhere.

*huge assumption I know

Ansatz

I think they only see summer and winter, no spring and fall/autumn so they can packaged into wherever is needed.

Hope this puts pay to the 2015 stuff, although I still expect the 2015 number to spread across the net like wildfire even with this info :p

When Nintendo say winter they seem to mean October-December as well.

Yeah "Q4" is too much of a business term, winter = q4, fall = q3 etc.

MilkybKid

Neo Member
From the IGN article: "During its pre-E3 Nintendo Direct today, Nintendo confirmed that Wii Party U has been delayed to October"

The article i first quoted actually said winter for wii party, and ended up as October, maybe it was article wording not Nintendo however but don't think so.
Retail version came out in January 2014 in NA and February 2014 in Japan.

I disagree.

Game was still released digitally, and in that Wikipedia link i gave retail release in EU and Australia was early December

you can disagree, but sorry your a bit wrong here in my opinion as the facts show that they consider winter to be before December as well

Has there ever been a time when a company has announced its release dates based on the very last version to be released? It would be like Ubisoft announcing dates based on the delayed PC versions of things :p

Top Bottom