• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Summer 2014, Wii U Winter 2014

The_Lump

Banned
Why do people on here think that releasing during a traditional period of high sales is Worse than releasing during a traditional dead period?

I think it's more that some people are choosing to see this as "WiiU version delayed" rather than "WiiU version coming pretty much exactly when everyone expected, 3DS version coming earlier - what a lovely surprise".

Darius

Banned
Launching two games of the same series at the same time isn´t exactly a smart idea (while there´s a little difference because the Smash titles are different from each other, there´s a recent situation how launching in the same day could have a negative impact on overall sales with Project Miku on PS3/PSV), so I welcome the seperated launch dates.

It´s really silly to see all the amount of "doom & gloom" spreaded due to the 3DS title launching first by only a few months. Especially because until the "Smash direct" announcement basically no one expected any Smash Bros title to launch this early - the Summer release of one of the two title was actually a big surprise. So it´s really hilarious to see all this reactions (especially from people that obviously don´t care about those games and basically see it as another opportunity to bash Nintendo) just because the 3DS title will launch earlier than expected, while the WiiU title will be their big holiday title as expected.

When it comes to sales, I welcome this decision for following reasons. A summer release isn´t exactly a great time when it comes to hardware and software sales, so it´s reasonable to take advantage of a big userbase in that time-frame instead. A big launch title in the holiday season will be more effective as a system-seller. If the SSBWiiU launched to early it would have lost a lot of steam before it even reaches the holiday season.

The WiiU version looks superior to the 3DS title, it´s an easier sell to offer a title that could be perceived as an upgrade to the same fanbase, at a later date than the other way around. Which could lead to overall more software sales.

Nintendo has to support both systems WiiU and 3DS. 3DS can´t be neglected just because the other system is doing worse, especially considering that it´s their current money-maker. While 3DS is selling well they have to keep momentum for the system.
An early launch will help 3DS sales and is a lot more efficient than launching it to close to the upcoming MH4G.

I also doubt that someone that has more interest in SSB-3DS would have run immediately to the store and get a WiiU if the launch dates were reversed. Because the launch dates are still close together and most likely they would have just waited until the 3DS title launches, this way by the time they played the game to their hearts content and are looking out for more SSBWiiU would have been out for 6-12months. Even if he would "upgrade" after such a long time it wouldn´t be as noticeable or effective as if it (desire for more SSB) happened this the holiday season instead.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Stupid Microsoft launching Titanfall first on Xbone. They should have first launch it on X360 and 6 months later on Xbone.

Darius

Banned
Stupid Microsoft launching Titanfall first on Xbone. They should have first launch it on X360 and 6 months later on Xbone.

In case of Titanfall we are talking about simple ports that have been deliberately postponed to push Xone sales. A holiday launch would still have been more effective and there won´t be anyone that will buy the X360 version ever, if he already owns the Xone version.

While this thread is about two different games of the same series, with different assets/stages and single/multi-player modes. I really think it´s time to be more reasonable and acknowledge that there is quite a difference in developing a 3DS game and a HD game on WiiU.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In case of Titanfall we are talking about simple ports that have been deliberately postponed to push Xone sales. A holiday launch would still have been more effective and there won´t be anyone that will buy the X360 version ever, if he already owns the Xone version.

There are still tens of millions of X360 users than didn't buy yet a Xbone. The same, there are millions of 3ds owners that didn't buy a Wii U.

SSB Brawl didn't launch during holidays and had no issues in selling tones.

But I guess we will see in 9 months time how well SSB Wii U did.

Kureransu

Don't know if it's been said, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else.

I do think The WiiU version coming out ater has to do with not just HD but working with namco to get the net code in tip top sape. The netcode in the soul calibur games are top of the line, so I'm not really gonna complain. I actually wouldn't have complained regardless, as the game is coming out, and that all that really matters.

I also think there are more tings in the WiiU version not yet mention because of the delayed release. I could be wrong about it too, but it does seem like Nintendo's style to not keep the games balanced in terms of modes. Based on Sakurai's acknowledgement of fan feedback, I'm pretty sure WiiU owners have something else to look forward too.

please understand.

Zalman

The fact that the 3DS version will be done in summer means that they will have the balancing/gameplay done relatively soon. This leads me to believe they will spend the last few months adding more content to the game. More modes, more music and so on. This is how they're going to create hype in the second half since revealing characters won't longer be an option.

Darius

Banned
There are still tens of millions of X360 users than didn't buy yet a Xbone. The same, there are millions of 3ds owners that didn't buy a Wii U.

SSB Brawl didn't launch during holidays and had no issues in selling tones.

But I guess we will see in 9 months time how well SSB Wii U did.

What´s your point? Because your comparisons are really nonsensical.
It´s one thing to deliberately postpone simple ports and another thing launching a different game of the same series at a later time, due to different content and hugely different hardware 3DS and WiiU, resulting to considerably more work/development time for one of the games.

Also what´s the point in looking at SSB WiiUs sales in this matter? Because we won´t have any way to compare its sales with a hypothetical in summer released WiiU version. But it´s simple common sense that in the holiday season it´s more likely that people are willing to spent more money in entertainment than summer.

maxcriden

If they show up, unless they stated already that they'll be there

Oh, I'm sure they'll be there, they haven't missed one yet!

Yeah, but E3 is beginning of June. That means no retail game announced at E3 will release until July. NoA doesn't do July, so August. So best case scenario late July in EU and August in NA for the next retail 1st party game on Wii U.

It is hard to see how they'd keep the momentum going very well from MK8 without a 1st party retail release in June or July unless they have something really big for August. Maybe we'll still get a direct with a summer release schedule before E3, since we don't have any 1st party lineup for summer for 3DS either.

NeonZ

So you think Sakurai actively lied to oversell the 3ds version?

In the newest Direct, there was an odd line about "all characters currently on the site" being in both versions. They also said that both rosters are the same though, so it likely doesn't mean anything, but I thought that was an odd thing to highlight...

Still, even if the character line up proper remains the same, the Wii U could get more unique costumes, or custom movesets.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What´s your point? Because your comparisons are really nonsensical.
It´s one thing to deliberately postpone simple ports and another thing launching a different game of the same series at a later time, due to different content and hugely different hardware 3DS and WiiU, resulting to considerably more work/development time for one of the games.

Is there really anything to support the idea that the Wii U version is launching in Winter because there is behind in development? Because the fact that most of the images and videos released until now are the Wii U ones doesn't show that picture. Even what they showed in the Nintendo Direct looked pretty much like an almost done game, there was more than a demo or several prepared scenes, it was a huge diversity in the Wii U footage.

Also what´s the point in looking at SSB WiiUs sales in this matter? Because we won´t have any way to compare its sales with a hypothetical in summer released WiiU version.

We can compare it for example with SM3DW and specially with the hardware sales in the holiday 2013. We can compare it with MK8 and the hardware sales in May-June.

But it´s simple common sense that in the holiday season it´s more likely that people are willing to spent more money in entertainment than summer.

Wii U and SSB Wii U are not the only entertainment that compete for the holiday money.

It is hard to see how they'd keep the momentum going very well from MK8 without a 1st party retail release in June or July unless they have something really big for August. Maybe we'll still get a direct with a summer release schedule before E3, since we don't have any 1st party lineup for summer for 3DS either.

I'm still hoping that this Direct didn't replace the normal bi-monthly one and we will see at list one Wii U game launched in June-July.

Looking at the gap between the two releases, I can only assume that the 3DS version is releases first because it will be done first. I wouldn't be surprised if developing the 3DS version took less time than the WiiU version.

Assuming this is the case, would it make sense for Nintendo to hold a complete game for almost a year just to let the WiiU version come first?

This is just speculation on my part.

Darius

Banned
Is there really anything to support the idea that the Wii U version is launching in Winter because there is behind in development? Because the fact that most of the images and videos released until now are the Wii U ones doesn't show that picture. Even what they showed in the Nintendo Direct looked pretty much like an almost done game, there was more than a demo or several prepared scenes, it was a huge diversity in the Wii U footage.

For sure they won´t risk missing out the holiday season just for fun and giggles. SSB-3DS will launch in summer, so it will likely have been completed by then ;)

We can compare it for example with SM3DW and specially with the hardware sales in the holiday 2013. We can compare it with MK8 and the hardware sales in May-June.

We are talking about when SSBWiiUs sales performance will be bigger, in summer or winter. There´ll be no way to make an actual sales comparison for obvious reasons. But the more likely scenario is quite obvious. ;)

Wii U and SSB Wii U are not the only entertainment that compete for the holiday money.

As far as we know, the single player and online modes for the Wii U could be WAY behind. We don't really know.

Phamit

I wouldnt buy a 3ds for Smash and The 3ds Version doesnt make The Wii u less appealing, because it doesnt have a certain experience: to play together with family and friends on the couch, that's a very important aspect of smash for me personally.

To me this points to Nintendo not having anything else of significance to release for the Wii U for the holidays.

Smash 3ds in summer points to something big to reveal/release late this year for 3DS.

DigitalOp

Banned
I'm totally surprised how some people seem jaded at the fact that Smash launches on 3DS this Summer...........

The fact I get to play it so close has me on the brink of exploding.....

Are you guys sure you actually are fans of the game?

I'm totally surprised how some people seem jaded at the fact that Smash launches on 3DS this Summer...........

The fact I get to play it so close has me on the brink of exploding.....

Are you guys sure you actually are fans of the game?
Why would I be exicited about playing a low res jaggy as hell version of the game on a Handheld?

You really think games announced there will come out before games that have been announced for years? Bless you.

There will be more than one game announced around E3 that will be released before X. They might be something not very significant like an HD port or some odd digital release like NES Remix, but there will be announcements for 2014. I think last year's "Panic Direct" has set the expectation that Nintendo announces every title coming out that year prior to E3. I think Tropical Freeze was announced during last year's E3 direct, but was delayed because early 2014 had no major titles.

emb

3DS version being used as beta balancing for Wii U Metagame? xD
I like this a lot. Could avoid annoying stuff like balance patching, while having a chance to change some things that did/didn't work. I hope they do it, but I'm guessing the characters will stay exactly the same.

On the one hand, I agree that this helps 3DS sales more than it hurts Wii U sales. But on the other hand, assuming that we're still holding out hope that there's any chance of a grand turnaround for the Wii U, I feel like they should be moving heaven and earth to get the Wii U version out as soon as possible, not 6 months after the 3DS version.

But moving away from looking at it from a business perspective, I'm not bothered by the discrepancy in release dates. It's far more likely that I'll buy both versions with this schedule than I would have if the Wii U version launched first or at the same time.

DigitalOp

Banned
Why would I be exicited about playing a low res jaggy as hell version of the game on a Handheld?

Because it's mothereffing Smash Bros on a handheld? And you get to play it sooner than you thought you would? This technical gaming analysis shit is so OD....

Its sad... I didn't know resolution and frames mattered more than if the damn game was fun in the first place.

Being interested in game performance is one thing.... but Sakurai came out and said we got the shit running 60 FPS on 3DS....

And you're upset that its jaggy and low res.... What else was it going to be compared to Wii U dude?

Malyse

Because it's mothereffing Smash Bros on a handheld? And you get to play it sooner than you thought you would? This technical gaming analysis shit is so OD....

Its sad... I didn't know resolution and frames mattered more than if the damn game was fun in the first place.

Being interested in game performance is one thing.... but Sakurai came out and said we got the shit running 60 FPS on 3DS....

And you're upset that its jaggy and low res.... What else was it going to be compared to Wii U dude?

You didn't know? Everything that isn't on the bleeding edge of technology is shit. All previous gens are shit. Pixels? Shit. HD Super high res, or go the fuck home.

If you can't tell this is sarcasm, quit the internet.

I'm certainly happy to give a portable version a shot. But it's hardly surprising to me that many would be more keen on playing the game on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS. It's a franchise that's never been on handhelds before, so the fact that some associate it primarily as an experience mean for the big screen is hardly a revelation to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We are talking about when SSBWiiUs sales performance will be bigger, in summer or winter. There´ll be no way to make an actual sales comparison for obvious reasons. But the more likely scenario is quite obvious. ;)

You can't compare against something hypothetical, of course. But you can make some relevant comparisons. As I said, comparing SSB Wii U sales during holiday against MK8 sales during May-June would be relevant about how much "holiday boost" such a big seller really gets. Comparing against SSB 3ds will show how much truth is in the hypothesis that many will double dip. Comparing hardware numbers vs. holiday 2013 and May-June 2014 will show how much of a system seller is under these circumstances.

I'm not really interested that much in the 3DS version because it will ruin the circle pad like no game before or after. At least with a console version, it's (comparatively) cheap to replace smash bros controller damage, but to replace my 3DS XL after the ravages of smash is another question entirely,

Nerokis

So according to your logic SSB 4 will sell more on Wii U now, being released 4-5 months after 3ds, than it would have sold if released exclusively on Wii U?

Nope. According to my logic, SSB 3DS and SSB Wii U will likely be distinct enough to each be compelling purchases, they'll be released long enough apart to not directly compete with each other, and SSB Wii U will be the main driver of Nintendo's marketing efforts around the crucial holiday season. A franchise/series having presence on both handhelds and consoles has not proven to diminish either in the past, and actually, the 3DS being Nintendo's main point of contact with a mass audience means a franchise released on it will probably lift that franchise overall. However, managing a franchise well means reading how demand fluctuates from game to game along a particular release schedule, catering to but also defying the expectations of the audience, and so on. This has to be read on a case by case basis, so how SSB 3DS will impact SSB Wii U is, of course, up in the air.

It's a unique case, and it can be argued that SSB would have sold more Wii Us had the 3DS version not existed. The reasoning you came in here with, where you listed 3 games that sold beneath expectations and also happened to have related games on the 3DS, is just completely hollow, though. And either way, it's a good thing for the long term of the franchise that SSB is releasing on the vastly more successful system, the 3DS needs SSB enough that it shouldn't be arbitrarily delayed, and the Wii U is only ever really on people's radar during the holiday season, so having SSB on its holiday lineup is a very good thing. In other words, however you feel about how handheld and console games interact in general, in practical terms there wasn't necessarily a better way to go about this.

MegalonJJ

Banned
3DS version being used as beta balancing for Wii U Metagame? xD

I was thinking this (albeit more for balancing the characters/items etc and seeing if there's a wishlist or something along those lines that could make it into the Wii U version for expanded modes and the like).

Crazyorloco

While this thread is about two different games of the same series, with different assets/stages and single/multi-player modes. I really think it´s time to be more reasonable and acknowledge that there is quite a difference in developing a 3DS game and a HD game on WiiU.

Yup, I think a lot of people on neogaf think the 3ds and Wii u smash bros games are the same game.

rawktapus

I'm certainly happy to give a portable version a shot. But it's hardly surprising to me that many would be more keen on playing the game on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS. It's a franchise that's never been on handhelds before, so the fact that some associate it primarily as an experience mean for the big screen is hardly a revelation to me.

I think controls are another legitimate concern. I'm looking forward to portable smash, but I don't expect it to feel as tight as the Wii u version due to the circle pad

disco

I think Nintendo may have additional modes for the Wii U version that they won't reveal until after the 3DS version has been released. May encourage more second purchases, or differentiate and encourage more individual purchases come Christmas.

If the Wii U version came out first, a lot of people (especially in the west) would skip the 3DS version entirely because they would view it as a downgraded version.

I don't know about that.
A lot of Smash fans have been dreaming for a portable Smash (correct me if I'm wrong), so I wouldn't see anyone skip the 3DS one even if the Wii U one released first.

Top Bottom