• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Summer 2014, Wii U Winter 2014

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am surprised by the surprise here, given a forced double dip for fans was pretty predictable.

Had the Wii U version launched simultaneously or earlier, I can't see many fans would have bought into the 3DS version. At least I consider 3DS resolution pretty raw and would not have got one.

Same thing with HD Dark Souls 2 and HD GTAV.

Teknoman

So the question now is, will either version support voice chat and lobbies? Maybe a spectator mode? I hope replays are still in.

Ponn

Banned
Hmm well ok. I dont particularly like double dipping so getting this on 3DS to play some matches while watching tv will be good enough. Good job Nintendo giving me reason to put off Wii U purchase till next year bomba clearance pricing.

Seems obvious the idea is to increase sales in the west:

- People will buy the 3DS version because it's Smash Bros and they don't want to wait
- 'Core audience' people will buy a 3DS for this game, because it's Smash Bros, so if they got rid of their old one they will be likely to get a new one for it
- 3DS is very profitable

- Wii U version comes out later, people buy this version as well for all the additional content and the HD visuals, new content, etc
- This version ideally comes out around Christmas for maximum sales potential / increasing Wii U visibility as much as possible.

If the Wii U version came out first, a lot of people (especially in the west) would skip the 3DS version entirely because they would view it as a downgraded version.

Any competitive Smash players are going to be buying both versions now though, pretty much guaranteed. Nobody is going to allow a several month lead time to other people to learn the characters, etc.

kizmah

So Wii U, from Nintendo, between MK8 and Smash is Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Yarn Yoshi (if that thing still lives?) and MK free dlc (I hope).

Forkball

Chalk up another baffling Wii U decision. I was ready to buy both day one. I can understand them finishing the 3DS version early and not sitting on it, but I feel like a lot of the hype will have cooled down when the Wii U release comes out because we have already been playing Smash with a full roster for months.

Chalk up another baffling Wii U decision. I was ready to buy both day one. I can understand them finishing the 3DS version early and not sitting on it, but I feel like a lot of the hype will have cooled down when the Wii U release comes out because we have already been playing Smash with a full roster for months.

It depends on whether it has Download Play or not. DP would add SO much value to the 3DS version.

Darryl

Banned
This isn't 2005 and we are just now getting HD games. The "HD console development is hard" line doesn't work in 2014.

dunno what kinda craziness you're speaking here. the models and textures in the wii u version are obviously going to be more detailed and more detail takes additional time.

I am just going to wait for the WIIU one but i have to admit it does kind of take away that new fresh feeling away, I wouldn't mind if they just released them both at the same time...but for WIIU sake it would of been nice to have it on there first so people pick up the system in a frenzy.

ocean

Banned
They probably just feel it'll be a better console pusher if it's released during the holidays. Sadly, I feel it wouldn't be enough without a price cut if they want to achieve some degree of face saving his gen.

cafemomo

I guess Nintendo wanted to keep the momentum going for the 3DS since its in a decline.

Gotta have something until MoHu 4G & Taiko drops this fall.

Still, smash is guarenteed to move hardware for both consoles, but it ain't gonna make a tidal wave.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The surprising thing about this is actually the 3DS version being summer, not the Wii U version being winter. And as such it is pleasant.

This also makes it more likely for me to double dip, which I doubt I would have done if both versions released simultaneously this winter (why would you buy the 3DS version of what is basically THE local-coop GOAT (besides MK)?)

I only think this is potentially damaging for japanese sales tbh, where 3DS is king. In the west I feel this should only boost the 3DS version, don't see it having that much of an impact on the console version that is destined to be the version to get for the fans.

Releasing both at the same time wouldn't make business sense since they'd eat into each others sales. Nintendo's bread and butter are handhelds, so I'm not shocked it's coming out for the 3DS first.

I still think it could benefit the Wii U. People will be hyped up playing Smash 3DS, sell millions, and it's basically free advertisement for the fancier console version. Make a bundle, and we might actually see decent Wii U sales this holiday.

clubstoic

Banned
That is a long time. Wii U is disappointing in many ways. Thinking about selling it, buying it again in two years and having a fun weekend.

Jawmuncher

Hope the WiiU version is going to offer a little more character wise then with that delay.
Some exclusive characters I could see getting people to push for the WiiU version after buying the 3DS version.

Hope the WiiU version is going to offer a little more character wise then with that delay.
Some exclusive characters I could see getting people to push for the WiiU version after buying the 3DS version.

I think it was already confirmed the rosters are the same.

The_Lump

Banned
Wow. Some of the reactions are 1st class gaf :)

Going into this thing barely anyone expected the game(s) before winter 2014. We get a nice surprise and get the 3DS version earlier than expected and so many people can only manage to moan about not getting both.

Sometimes it's fun to look at the bright side, instead of immediately focussing on the negative inclination.

Zalman

Wii U version is coming out about the time I predicted, but 3DS is WAY earlier than that. So this is a win for me. Can't wait for both.

Robin64

Bravo, Nintendo. I had no intention of getting the 3DS one, but now I kinda do. Well played.

It's a shame my Wii U will have to suffer another drought, though. The gap between Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. is pretty big. But I'll take quality over quantity, even if it makes me grumpy at first. ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In general, franchises tend to do better when they've building on previous success. Super Mario 3D World probably wouldn't have sold more if Super Mario 3D Land hadn't been released and gone on to be very successful.

So according to your logic SSB 4 will sell more on Wii U now, being released 4-5 months after 3ds, than it would have sold if released exclusively on Wii U?

Allow me to disagree with your view and move on, it's too much of a logical spin off for me.

Zalman

Smash 3DS will have no competition during the summer. Great time to launch it, right after Kirby and Mario Golf. The Wii U version will be their big holiday game, so that makes sense too. They just need to have a steady stream of games leading up until that point.

Jawmuncher

I think it was already confirmed the rosters are the same.

Could have just been PR talk.
For example a character like Bayonetta would work well as a WiiU exclusive character. Considering her game will probably come out before SSB WiiU. Not saying it will happen but I could see Nintendo adding some more to the game to push double dipping

E-phonk

Banned
So according to your logic SSB 4 will sell more on Wii U now, being released 4-5 months after 3ds, than it would have sold if released exclusively on Wii U?

Allow me to disagree with your view and move on, it's too much of a logical spin off for me.
No, but it's the better decision over releasing both on the same day. 3DS sales + Wii U sales of the game will be higher because of the separate launches. More people will double dip.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For example a character like Bayonetta would work well as a WiiU exclusive character. Considering her game will probably come out before SSB WiiU. Not saying it will happen but I could see Nintendo adding some more to the game to push double dipping

So you think Sakurai actively lied to oversell the 3ds version?

No, but it's the better decision over releasing both on the same day. 3DS sales + Wii U sales of the game will be higher because of the separate launches. More people will double dip.

That might be valid for the people that are already owners of both consoles.
But there is nothing that guarantees that someone who has played already the 3ds version to death will go out and buy a Wii U for the HD version of the game. A lot of people could be very well just happy with the 3ds version.

StayDead

I'm glad of the gap between Wii U/3DS. I was going to buy both and having them both in the same month or close together would make it hard to give ample time to both.

Zalman

He wouldn't say that if it wasn't true. That would be straight up lying to the fans.

I have the feeling that most people aren't that interested in a smash bros on a handheld. The game is popular because it's so much fun in the living room on a shared screen with your friends.

I don't think the Wii U version has anything to worry about.

Bravo, Nintendo. I had no intention of getting the 3DS one, but now I kinda do. Well played.

It's a shame my Wii U will have to suffer another drought, though. The gap between Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. is pretty big. But I'll take quality over quantity, even if it makes me grumpy at first. ;)

If only there was some huge event this summer where they could announce new games for the late summer/fall/winter...oh well.

iMerc

will barely affect wiiU sales, if at all.
the release dates are far enough part that that each version can cater to the smash crowd exculsively through their launch windows.

and anyone who's into graphics will purchase the wiiU version anyway because of that.

there's no issue here. it's a nintendo game released on nintendo hardware and all profits generated will go to nintnedo.

hardcore gamers making mountains out of molehills & making it seem like releasing it on 3ds first is like releasing it on a competing platform. el oh fuckin el.

vareon

Bad move for Nintendo or whatevs, this just works for me. Buy the 3DS version in summer, buy a Wii U in Fall or Winter, after E3.

Makes sense. Sell the potentially profitable version first, and try and tempt people into upgrading at Christmas.

3DS version would be far more damaged by a later launch than the Wii U version would be.

Why do people on here think that releasing during a traditional period of high sales is Worse than releasing during a traditional dead period?

Why do people on here think that releasing during a traditional period of high sales is Worse than releasing during a traditional dead period?

People dont get that the Wii U will get an upswing during may due to Mario Kart 8. People who never thought the Wii U was an competitive system just got another look at what the console can do. Once Mario Kart hit stores (hopefully as a bundle) the install base will go up. When E3 is around Nintendo will push everything the got for Wii U for Holiday. Mainly Smash Bros. maybe even Mario Galaxy 3 (if its real) or atleast Yarn Yoshi as an transitional "Jump'N'Run". Right now Wii U is in a dead period but who says that it will be like that in September/October/November/December ;-)

Top Bottom