• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Interesting. Though I think its clear this is a Souls game with the fog door screenshot.

Similarly to how Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring are essentially King's Field games. From keeps a core DNA between a good chunk of their games, hence why they're sort of connected.

I'm sure this game will be the same, especially to the three previous Souls games.

Holykael1

Banned
If we assume that the project was first conceived not long after Dark Souls 1 was finished, it must not be that far off.. I doubt they would go a 2014 release as not to create series fatigue with the recent release of Dark Souls 2. However, it's not very far fetched that this could be a big deal 2015 exclusive.

If FF XV and MGS V come out in 20XV it only stands to reason that we might be on the verge of one of the best years in gaming, the holy trinity as I would like to call it xD

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is easily going to be a systemseller for PS4. Think about it. PC gamers wanted Demon's Souls and they got Dark Souls. Well, not the Dark Souls they wanted but after some modifications by Durante they did (1080p/60fps). Now they have Dark Souls 2 and it comes with that and not GFWL too. They're easily looking for the next fix and PS3/360 isn't delivering. Marketed right this game can easily sell 1-2 million units and get a few hardcore PC gamers over to consoles. Come for Souls and stay for the indies.

Lady Gaia

Dead Man's Souls? Pirate Souls? Whatever they call it, however this plays out, I suspect I'm in. DaS2 may not have been up to the standards of DaS, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Just advance the lore instead of simply retelling it this time, please.

If this doesn't convince people that this is a Souls game, i don't know what will.

I feel like the fog door is a WAY bigger indicator of this being a Souls game than that, it seems unclear to me.

Looks pretty far along considering how recently DS2 was released, maybe there's something to all that A-B team talk.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Chances of this being shown at E3 high, GAF? At this point, I'm looking for ANY new AAA title to be shown at the Sony conference.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Considering its apparently made by the same studio/staff and that it looks very similar to the other Souls games... Uhm, a lot?

Except if it was DeS 2, they would just called like that. Project Beast strongly suggests a spiritual successor.

Mortemis

Banned
If FF XV and MGS V come out in 20XV it only stands to reason that we might be on the verge of one of the best years in gaming, the holy trinity as I would like to call it xD

I wouldn't say one of the best years just yet but seeing that we start the year off with the Witcher 3, and if FFXV, MGS V and this come out too it definitely has the potential. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

The anticipation that will build the next month to see the first footage

Except... that's not actually how this works? Every single person who's paying attention to this right now is already a fan of the series -- in other words, a person whose anticipation cannot, by definition, go up all that far. These are people you can either stun with a surprise announcement at E3 -- thereby ensuring an outpouring of enthusiasm from the existing fanbase at the exact time that potential new buyers are discovering it via media coverage -- or build up anticipation more delicately with an ARG-style teasing campaign, ensuring that fans build up the E3 conference in advance.

No game company ever, in the history of the industry, has decided the best way to reveal its hot new title is to release ugly, blurry, awkwardly-framed off-screen shots of their game on a message board, because that makes their game look bad.

"OMG it's a controlled leak" is something posters on GAF say because they really want to participate in a rumor-news thread and sound like they have something smart to say. In reality, controlled leaks are quite easy to pick out, and most of the time when we have one nobody feels the need to say so because it's already pretty obvious that a company-directed teasing campaign is happening.

Nibel

This is easily going to be a systemseller for PS4. Think about it. PC gamers wanted Demon's Souls and they got Dark Souls. Well, not the Dark Souls they wanted but after some modifications by Durante they did (1080p/60fps). Now they have Dark Souls 2 and it comes with that and not GFWL too. They're easily looking for the next fix and PS3/360 isn't delivering. Marketed right this game can easily sell 1-2 million units and get a few hardcore PC gamers over to consoles. Come for Souls and stay for the indies.

/dead

It seems like while FROM is working on a game called Project Beast, GAF is working on a thread named Project Best

Holy shit, I go to bed and wak up so this 3000 post thread, amazing.
Anyway, I'm not too excited for this. Dark Souls wasn't really my kind of game in the end, so if this is similar then I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it...

PBY

Banned
According to most of DemonNite's hints, it's a spinoff game.

Considering its apparently made by the same studio/staff and that it looks very similar to the other Souls games... Uhm, a lot?

Thanks- yeah, that was more what I was getting at- ie direct sequel/continuation of the world, or more of a side-story type thing.

Just hope it has the DS mechanics, Day 1.

Except... that's not actually how this works? Every single person who's paying attention to this right now is already a fan of the series -- in other words, a person whose anticipation cannot, by definition, go up all that far. These are people you can either stun with a surprise announcement at E3 -- thereby ensuring an outpouring of enthusiasm from the existing fanbase at the exact time that potential new buyers are discovering it via media coverage -- or build up anticipation more delicately with an ARG-style teasing campaign, ensuring that fans build up the E3 conference in advance.

No game company ever, in the history of the industry, has decided the best way to reveal its hot new title is to release ugly, blurry, awkwardly-framed off-screen shots of their game on a message board, because that makes their game look bad.

"OMG it's a controlled leak" is something posters on GAF say because they really want to participate in a rumor-news thread and sound like they have something smart to say. In reality, controlled leaks are quite easy to pick out, and most of the time when we have one nobody feels the need to say so because it's already pretty obvious that a company-directed teasing campaign is happening.
this is a good post

i totally agree

Yeah looking a little closer, there are definitely some pirate looking details in the screens. Not sure what to make of this anymore. But still, pirate fantasy-horror with your character going around slaying beasts sounds good. Or it could just be the souls of pirates and you're a character from the 18th-19th century. *shrug*

Looks like a cemetery full of zombies to me.

Areas in Dark Souls usually have a theme.
No Man's Warf in Dark Souls 2 is obviously a viking theme, but that hardly makes the game nordic

So I guess we'll be seeing 2 Souls franchises in parallel going forward?
One exclusive to sony (either with a new name for each entry or Demon's Souls 2, 3, etc) and Dark Souls on all platforms.
I doubt either will stop here.

Mortemis

Banned
Castlevania inspired sounds great, and from FROM too. ahhhh
It's crazy how this thread has more replies than COD: AW announcement thread.

Not really, seeing as GAF doesn't really have that big of a COD fanbase. Or it's better to say, GAF doesn't have that vocal of a cod fanbase. It's hardly anything to get excited about anyways since we know there's a new game each year.

It's crazy how this thread has more replies than COD: AW announcement thread.

EEff799.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom