• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

AHA-Lambda

Any estimates for ps4 sales?

Btw, is it just me but XB1 looks really low, what the hell happened? Or is that normal for April? :/

Can't believe the legs on lego nor that 360 titanfall outsold the xb1 version D:

I'm fascinated by how this industry is crashing. The amount of people that have left for mobile is amazing. I was shocked that people were saying that this generation was going to be bigger than the last. Can't see this generation coming anywhere close to the 250+ million of the last at this point.

When you lose a gamble, you double down.

I don't want console gaming to go anywhere. Doubling down is the way to do so; people won't say you gave up and actually tried.

Since i edit my post i going add back this part .
The industry going merge into one sooner or later just matter of fast tech and the internet advance.
So console or mobile it not going to matter to pubs .

It matters if software spending habits on mobile aren't the same as console. Don't tell me all the users are just sitting on a different platform, tell me they're still willing to spend the same money (or more) for the same amount of investment (or less) on my part. If they're not, I have to get smaller.

donny2112

What is the source for all this data, aside from yourself?

What changed between 2007 and 2014 was the direct addition of Wal-Mart data (25-30% of the market during the period; NPD used to just estimate for Wal-Mart), and general shifting of marketshare between companies (e.g. Circuit City closing, Amazon rising, TRU falling). The lionshare of the change from 60-65% to 90-95% was the addition of direct Wal-Mart data, though. Should be easy enough to find with Google, but there would be GAF threads on it somewhere, too.

May npd will be interesting.

Seriously. Will Xbox drop below 75k? Will wii u beat it? Will Xbox 360?

It depends. The obvious thinking would be that, in a vacuum, the announcement of the Dis-Kinected SKU next month along with a relatively weaker run of releases and most advertising resources being reserved for (post-)E3 should result in an absolutely abysmal month of sales for the XB1.

However, if the glut of stock Microsoft clogged retail channels with hasn't cleared, they may also be making deals with retailers to move existing Kinect SKU units at well below MSRP to make space for the incoming $399 SKU. That would normally be the sort of thing that could level sales off, but so far retailer deals seem to have had trouble moving the needle, so...

What changed between 2007 and 2014 was the direct addition of Wal-Mart data (25-30% of the market during the period; NPD used to just estimate for Wal-Mart), and general shifting of marketshare between companies (e.g. Circuit City closing, Amazon rising, TRU falling). The lionshare of the change from 60-65% to 90-95% was the addition of direct Wal-Mart data, though. Should be easy enough to find with Google, but there would be GAF threads on it somewhere, too.

Exactly.

I'm fascinated by how this industry is crashing. The amount of people that have left for mobile is amazing. I was shocked that people were saying that this generation was going to be bigger than the last. Can't see this generation coming anywhere close to the 250+ million of the last at this point.

PS4/XB1 sold much higher than the 360/PS3 did in the same time period. It'll be because the Wii U that this generation won't surpass the previous one.

jamiept

Banned
why the fuck are people buying 360s over the PS3 still?

GAF, I don't get it? I understand that Microsoft did well in branding the Xbox 360 and starting strong, but people really can't let go branding when it comes to consoles in the US?

Different people like and want different things. Is it really that hard to understand?

Also, most of your list would be important to gamers, mostly. The one item on your list which is probably the easiest to differentiate for the casual buyer is that PS3 doubles as a Blu-ray player

OT, the XO sales figures seem way low, although I have no idea how much they should be given that it IS the most expensive option of this generation

The NPD results for the few months AFTER e3 will be the most telling. People will have a new option for the XO; new game announcements will be made etcetera, and Xbox Gold will be a LOT more appealing for new and existing users of both XO and 360

Someone start the May NPD prediction thread. I'm shrugging off this month's loss, going in early.

[XB1] 57.5K

I, uh, will fill in the rest later.

Edit: It's kind of odd how that ended up as half of this month's number when I didn't just divide this month in half. Oh well.

AniHawk

PS4/XB1 sold much higher than the 360/PS3 did in the same time period. It'll be because the Wii U that this generation won't surpass the previous one.

a little too early to tell. maybe this gen is currently pretty frontloaded. maybe it won't last seven to eight goddamn years like the last one. maybe the digital landscape will shift the sands in a way that renders our current thinking of consoles obsolete (in a similar way dedicated handhelds are neat luxury items at best now).

AHA-Lambda

Honestly I don't really get the pessimism at this point on next-gen.

Yeah, I can get why people would be sweating out how things will be selling in July.

However, the software releasing this Fall has quite possibly the largest raw selling potential in the history of Xbox/PlayStation, at least in terms of big hitters.

I get that a lot of these games don't really appeal to GAF, but the sheer number of titles releasing with 5-20+ million sales potential is kind of astonishing.

Are a lot of these cross-gen? Definitely, but given how things have been skewing so far, along with the fact that some of them are next-gen only, I don't really see a huge issue.

To note, this is true even if we assume both first parties sell zero copies of any games this Fall.

I could agree with this. It was always going to be slow after launch, especially after pent up demand from the longer gen.

Your average Joe isn't plopping down $400-500 on a new console, especially with so relatively few games on it. It'll pick up over time with releases and price drops. I don't think the sky is falling.

However, will it outdo last gen? Probably not.
Are AAA budgets being planned according to this? Absolutely bloody not >_>

Eusis

The publishers will have to adjust or they will go out of business. I mean if From can make a game like Dark Souls (that looked really good for its time) and only sell 2 million and make a profit, I see no reason why most publishers cannot do this. Just seeing that Destiny is going to cost Activision 500million makes me sick. I still am excited for the game, but if the game is good, a moderate amount of marketing and word of mouth will get you sales. It doesn't need a monster marketing budget. Also the indie side is strong and flourishing on Ps and I would assume Xbox also on Steam. The industry will survive, but it may look very different by the end of this cycle. There is nothing wrong with a contraction as long as publisher's change and act accordingly.
Oh, it's what would make it interesting to be honest, if big budget games collapse and so they HAVE to go back to smaller games, or for new faces like Notch/Mojang to arise and establish a strong base.
I don't think it will contract, outside of the Wii casuals that is, but I do think it will consolidate. Fewer people will own multiple consoles because both the XB1 and the PS4 now require a subscription to get their full benefits, and the most popular games are multiplatform anyway. So while overall hardware might be down, the sales of cross platform games should be unaffected.

Although I do think the budgets for games are getting out of hand, and will probably require some correction. Oddly enough I think VR could help with this. In order to hit the required frame rate for VR games, their image quality will have to be reduced. That should lower the cost of asset creation which is the primary driver of game costs.
Well, you don't necessarily have to be a HUGE contraction, though I think it's possible (we'll see in a few years, inversely maybe the PS4/XB1 can be made cheaper faster and cause more growth in the long run) and people could always grab the other console to play exclusives on. It's what I plan to do with XB1 eventually, there are some games I want to play and unless they're all crap I'll want one for that (along with Kinect it seems) but I can just skip paying for Live unless they really, REALLY ramp up its value.
I don't have access to data right now, but 45% drops in a Mar - April transition are not unprecedented from memory. It's not valid to compare monthly transition to year/year comps.
Yeah, I think March through July are traditionally much weaker than other months. If the holiday season is tepid THEN it's time for panic.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
and this contributes to the console market how exactly?

And your contribution to the console market is... what?

17mxxo8v4xtv1jpg.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Just woke up. So PS4 does a 2:1 again. Impressive since there's no big released in april. Reckon it'll do better with Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs the coming two months. I am however worried for XB1 because I don't think third party titles can sell it. Everybody know that third party is better on PS4 and it hasn't kept Microsoft's head that high about 100k in the past. With the price cut now I fully expect to have >100k next month.

AniHawk

Donkey Kong and Pikmin 3 failing to break 250k has got to sting, no?

pikmin 2 did 400k. for pikmin 3, not being a year old, and getting those sales on this platform, all while being the sequel to a 9 year old game, i think being between 230k and 250k is pretty damn good. i honestly expected it to bomb like the wonderful 101.

donkey kong didn't do well for what it was though, especially as a bigger franchise title. i suspect this has mostly to do with my anti-retro campaign finally taking seed.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
LTD:
LuigiU > 250k > DK > PIKMIN3 > 230K
RAYMAN > SONIC > MHU3 > 100K
TW101: 74K

Surprised how well this has sold honestly.

That excludes the Mario + Luigi Bundle right crème?

DK and PK3 should be selling more, great games altogether.

Dante316

Honestly reading all this pessimistic view of the industry is pretty sad. We are only few months into the gen. Judge it after next holiday season for clearer picture. Games are coming and sales are good.

Top Bottom