• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Vylsith

Banned
Yea, I'm currently nearly 150 hours into Xenoblade. Will DEFINITELY pick up
a Wii U when it comes out.

I've been a fan of Monolith since Xenogears. I loved Xenosaga (even if the story was far better than the gameplay). Xenoblade was amazing. I'm a huge JRPG fan in general, but Monolith is one of my favorite developers. Tales of, Persona, and Xeno are all great series.

njean777

The issue may be that they contract on PS4/XB1 too. And that game budgets DON'T adjust for this.

The publishers will have to adjust or they will go out of business. I mean if From can make a game like Dark Souls (that looked really good for its time) and only sell 2 million and make a profit, I see no reason why most publishers cannot do this. Just seeing that Destiny is going to cost Activision 500million makes me sick. I still am excited for the game, but if the game is good, a moderate amount of marketing and word of mouth will get you sales. It doesn't need a monster marketing budget. Also the indie side is strong and flourishing on Ps and I would assume Xbox also on Steam. The industry will survive, but it may look very different by the end of this cycle. There is nothing wrong with a contraction as long as publisher's change and act accordingly.

Who cares if the industry contracts because the wii audience is gone? They never even bought third parties on the wii. All they bought was wii_ games and Mario and dance games.
They won't be missed.

Nintendo plays an important role in the industry. Even sony has said that their family friendly games are important to getting people into video games. So nintendo failing, though hilarious, is actually quite bad.

GamerJM

Banned
What's going on with Marvel Super Heroes?
In January, the DS version didn't even exist.

Also, the Wii U and 3DS version were dead last excluding the Vita and PC, for obvious reasons.

and now....A wild DS version appears? When did it even come out?

I guess that explains it being above the 3DS version. Because it just came out. Well, it explains a little at least.

And the 3DS and Wii U versions are higher now? Is there a particular reason why...?

Anyone have some insight?

LEGO Marvel Superheroes DS came out in February.

The issue may be that they contract on PS4/XB1 too. And that game budgets DON'T adjust for this.

I don't think it will contract, outside of the Wii casuals that is, but I do think it will consolidate. Fewer people will own multiple consoles because both the XB1 and the PS4 now require a subscription to get their full benefits, and the most popular games are multiplatform anyway. So while overall hardware might be down, the sales of cross platform games should be unaffected.

Although I do think the budgets for games are getting out of hand, and will probably require some correction. Oddly enough I think VR could help with this. In order to hit the required frame rate for VR games, their image quality will have to be reduced. That should lower the cost of asset creation which is the primary driver of game costs.

Tripon

You could say it's in the rough, har har.

But for real, it's a travesty. Despite the year-long delay and day one DLC bullshit, it turned out to be a great game. I guess the U.S. is just done with handhelds, in the same way Japan might be done with consoles, judging by the recent numbers coming from there.

Nintendo releasing both Kirby and Mario Golf on the same day hurt as well. A company as large as Nintendo should have spaced out its schedule better. There wasn't a 3DS game released in April, they should have bumped Kirby or Mario Golf up a month to let both titles breath.

Since NPD doesn't track digital sales, maybe the majority of sales for MG and Kirby were from the eShop. That's probably why it's so low.

That Wii audience totally bailed out. It's rather unfortunate.
Well, what do you expect?

Nintendo completely failed to fully serve them with compelling content in 2011 and 2012.

They tried half serving them along side the Xbox audience with WiiU, and that completely collapsed.

As for the other two guys, they don't seem to give a shit about anyone who isn't a 18-35 year old man.

Clownboat

Banned
Shit, Microsoft took a bet on that audience and lost a lot of money on that wager.

I get what you're trying to say, but I'm not convinced there's any overlap whatsoever between the Wii Bowling audience that Nintendo captured and the ESPN Fantasy Football audience that Microsoft was targeting.

the wii moved 900m units of software. what percentage of that do you believe was first-party and how much of a percentage of 900m does it take that it won't be missed?

Why don't you give us a percentage break down plus it won't be miss by most pubs because they already starting to make mobile games or tie into them .

Ascenion

At first I was thinking it might have just been a slow month but.....damn you know shit has hit the fan when your old console sells 62% of what your new one did, while at the same damn time your new console can't even sell 40% of what the old one did during the same time period. I wonder if Microsoft realizes how bad this news in conjunction with that not price drop, but basically a price drop they announced like 2 days ago looks.....

I don't have access to data right now, but 45% drops in a Mar - April transition are not unprecedented from memory. It's not valid to compare monthly transition to year/year comps.

Hubble

Honestly I don't really get the pessimism at this point on next-gen.

Yeah, I can get why people would be sweating out how things will be selling in July.

However, the software releasing this Fall has quite possibly the largest raw selling potential in the history of Xbox/PlayStation, at least in terms of big hitters.

I get that a lot of these games don't really appeal to GAF, but the sheer number of titles releasing with 5-20+ million sales potential is kind of astonishing.

Are a lot of these cross-gen? Definitely, but given how things have been skewing so far, along with the fact that some of them are next-gen only, I don't really see a huge issue.

To note, this is true even if we assume both first parties sell zero copies of any games this Fall.

Agree. In reality, this new gen is VERY early. There are millions of people who game on 360 and PS3 every day. It will take time for people to migrate to the new generation. In another 2 years is when most people will be on a XBO or PS4. And the year by year percentage increases were very healthy in sales, so it is not bad and will get better.

reKon

Banned
why the fuck are people buying 360s over the PS3 still?

- PS3 has been the only console offering free online player up til this point

- PS Plus has been bringing great games for a while

- PS3 double as a blu-ray player

- PS3 has a very impressive exclusive library that covers all genres

- PS3 is still being supported and developers are producing well-received games like Persona 5

GAF, I don't get it? I understand that Microsoft did well in branding the Xbox 360 and starting strong, but people really can't let go branding when it comes to consoles in the US?

MormaPope

Banned
I get what you're trying to say, but I'm not convinced there's any overlap whatsoever between the Wii Bowling audience that Nintendo captured and the ESPN Fantasy Football audience that Microsoft was targeting.

I wasn't either, Microsoft was willing to risk a lot on creating or capturing that audience though.

AniHawk

Why don't you give us a percentage break down plus it won't be miss by most pubs because they already starting to make mobile games or tie into them .

for the sake of argument, 40% of all wii sales came from nintendo games (what i was able to count was up to 356m, so raw numbers might be anywhere from 360-375m with everything taken into account). just dance, as popular as it was, might have sold about 15-25m on the machine as a franchise. that leaves a very hefty 500m units of software. the potential to sell 500m units of software won't be missed?

Kinect was the bet they took on that audience, not TV/NFL.

orochi91

I've been a fan of Monolith since Xenogears. I loved Xenosaga (even if the story was far better than the gameplay). Xenoblade was amazing. I'm a huge JRPG fan in general, but Monolith is one of my favorite developers. Tales of, Persona, and Xeno are all great series.

For me, what got me hooked to Xenoblade was how it took all the best parts
of FF12 (personal fav.) and ran with it. Coupled with the art design, music and
environments, this game is one of the greatest JRPG ever made.

Monolith have won me over.

30 Hours for me. Got it last week.

You will spend so many more, the amount of content is insane.

Well, what do you expect?

Nintendo completely failed to fully serve them with compelling content in 2011 and 2012.

They tried half serving them along side the Xbox audience with WiiU, and that completely collapsed.

As for the other two guys, they don't seem to give a shit about anyone who isn't a 18-35 year old man.

This is why Sony's indie push is crucial. They offer the games/genres for the various
demographics that the AAA publishers won't invest in.

DNAbro

Kirby and Golf were also only being tracked for one day. These aren't the type of titles you have to get day 1. I'm hoping for good sales over may.

GAF, I don't get it? I understand that Microsoft did well in branding the Xbox 360 and starting strong, but people really can't let go branding when it comes to consoles in the US?

Being significantly cheaper helps quite a bit. People buying these consoles now are just looking for a cheap deal.

LOCK

This industry can go to hell. 17k for Mario Golf? Burn it down.

July 28 - Aug. 2, 2003 MARIO GOLF: TOADSTOOL TOUR GCN Nintendo 60,684
June 22 - July 3, 2004 MARIO GOLF: ADVANCE TOUR GBA Nintendo Didn't chart in top 20.

May 2 - May 3, 2014 Mario Golf: World Tour 3DS Nintendo ~17,000

I will say it did fairly decent.

For LTD's as of 2005:
MG:TT had a LTD > 700k
MG:AT had a LTD ~ 300k

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Except have black friends.

image.php

had to ;)

MormaPope

Banned
Kinect was the bet they took on that audience, not TV/NFL.

This as well.

- PS3 is still being supported and developers are producing well-received games like Persona 5

The cheapest 360 model is $199, the cheapest PS3 model/bundle is $260 or $270. Visiting Bestbuy and Gamestop websites all I see is the PS3 Last of Us bundle.

That's not true for Microsoft. Zoo Tycoon appeals to younger games and Kinect Sports appeals to people of all ages and non-gamers. So does Xbox Fitness.

All these games tell me is MS basically tried to be a jack of all trades(master of none) like Nintendo with the WiiU and it backfired on them. You've got to be fully dedicated to an audience if you want to succeed nowadays.

BigDug13

Nintendo plays an important role in the industry. Even sony has said that their family friendly games are important to getting people into video games. So nintendo failing, though hilarious, is actually quite bad.

The true first party Nintendo fans are as numerous as the number of Gamecubes sold, not the number of Wii's sold. The Wii was a bowling and waggle anomaly in the overall scheme of marketshare.

BigDug13

This as well.

The cheapest 360 model is $199, the cheapest PS3 model/bundle is $260 or $270. Visiting Bestbuy and Gamestop websites all I see is the PS3 Last of Us bundle.

The Cell processor kinda fucks Sony on trying to drop PS3 price. Just like the start of the generation, MS is in the driver's seat as far as pricing for that hardware with Sony unable to compete.

ohlawd

for the sake of argument, 40% of all wii sales came from nintendo games (what i was able to count was up to 356m, so raw numbers might be anywhere from 360-375m with everything taken into account). just dance, as popular as it was, might have sold about 15-25m on the machine as a franchise. that leaves a very hefty 500m units of software. the potential to sell 500m units of software won't be missed?

thing I hate about Ani bringing the smackdown in NPD threads is it gets ignored sometimes.

For some pubs they will just get some of them back by making games for mobile if that is where there gone.
The industry going merge into one sooner or later just matter of fast tech and the internet advance.

donny2112

"Not totally dead" should be the Wii U's new marketing slogan.

*nods head thoughtfully*

Sadly I don't remember, it's been a couple of years it's been on my computer Donny :(

Okay. Looked like an interesting story. :)

The girl's name is Britney Haynes and the gif is from when she was on Big Brother.
It's from one of the Big Brother shows. Don't know which one though.

Thanks!

You have to realize who's buying the 360s. They aren't particularly into more niche genres like RPGs. Blu-ray players are already cheaper and aren't as necessary with Netflix and Hulu. Lots of them are in for CoD, Minecraft or maybe Skylanders and are probably in their preteens or teen years. Those games have 360 as their lead HD platform. PS3 appeals to a more mature audience who has likely already got one. And most casual people don't care for PS Plus since they don't play too many games in general

Tripon

Since NPD doesn't track digital sales, maybe the majority of sales for MG and Kirby were from the eShop. That's probably why it's so low.

If this was true, Nintendo would have released a press release pimping it like they did with Bravely Default. (Which charted, and Nintendo pimped it as the highest selling new SKU in February).

Top Bottom