• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Yeah, pretty much. You have the people who will buy the new console as soon as they can and the people who are going to wait until a price drop, there are more good games for it, or a specific game they're interested in releases for it. The people in the first group got theirs earlier than usual due to increased supply. The people in the second group are still waiting just like they always have. You can't really figure out if the combined size of the two groups has grown or shrunk until the point where the second group starts buying.

Yeah.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Honestly I don't really get the pessimism at this point on next-gen.

Yeah, I can get why people would be sweating out how things will be selling in July.

However, the software releasing this Fall has quite possibly the largest raw selling potential in the history of Xbox/PlayStation, at least in terms of big hitters.

I get that a lot of these games don't really appeal to GAF, but the sheer number of titles releasing with 5-20+ million sales potential is kind of astonishing.

Are a lot of these cross-gen? Definitely, but given how things have been skewing so far, along with the fact that some of them are next-gen only, I don't really see a huge issue.

To note, this is true even if we assume both first parties sell zero copies of any games this Fall.

Come on Nirolak, you know people on GAF love looking at the negative side of things over the positives!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Yeah, I can get why people would be sweating out how things will be selling in July.

However, the software releasing this Fall has quite possibly the largest raw selling potential in the history of Xbox/PlayStation, at least in terms of big hitters.

I get that a lot of these games don't really appeal to GAF, but the sheer number of titles releasing with 5-20+ million sales potential is kind of astonishing.

Are a lot of these cross-gen? Definitely, but given how things have been skewing so far, along with the fact that some of them are next-gen only, I don't really see a huge issue.

To note, this is true even if we assume both first parties sell zero copies of any games this Fall.

Yup. Most people in the industry are pretty excited!

Freeman

Banned
Sony gave up on the Vita a while ago.

They've projected that it'll sell at WiiU levels this year (3.5 million). And they're pushing stuff like remote play, lackluster ports and JRPG localization while completely ignoring the dumbass memory card prices. They're content with the little money they're getting from the tiny customer base outside of Japan, where it's just doing mediocre numbers instead of lying on it's deathbed like it is in the West.

And I say that as someone who loves their Vita too. Mainly because I feel much more committed to the platform than they are at this point.
I can't disagree with you, too bad. Vita will be the first time Sony failed to properly support their hardware, unless things change. I'll will still keep a little bit of hope that they have some sort of strategy at least until E3 tho.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I still think cross gen hurts more than it helps especially this fall. All those games are going to be held back because of older hardware. They would have a lot better luck convincing the core gamers to upgrade with more next gen only games that actually look the part. Watchdogs might sell to those who have a PS4/Xbone but hardly going to sell any consoles. Watchdogs will get some sales but those will be mostly because of the software drought the PS4/Xbone have.

GamerJM

Banned
We don't have Kinect Sports sales yet right? A while back earlier a couple people were asking for those.

I'm also interested in Yoshi's New Island sales for this month.

Vylsith

Banned
Is this an absolute or are you just directing that at my comparison? If the normal trend is last gen software beating all of next gen software sales during the first year, these next gen consoles haven't bucked that trend. If next gen software sales are supposed to be greater than last gen software sales trend wise, next gen consoles are failing in that regard.

Either history is repeating itself, which isn't necessarily a good thing, or this situation is unique for all the wrong reasons.

Your question makes no sense. You're comparing this generation where two core consoles released at the same time to last generation where one console released a year previously and proceeded to lead in sales in the US all generation. Obviously last 2007 would look different than 2014 since the Xbox 360 had already been out for an entire year and had a considerably larger install base than the Xbox One does now. You're comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying your argument has no merit, but there's no valid comparison between your data sets.

I'm also not sure why it would be a bad thing if history repeated itself. Last generation say the most healthy game industry in history. Repeating that would be great for the industry. That probably won't happen since this generation doesn't have anywhere near the appeal to casuals as last generation, but I can't imagine why anyone would believe this generation is getting off to a poor start. It's really not.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Fuck, too many similar shades to really tell what's what, but I'm assuming that, top to bottom in order of endpoints, those are PS4, XBone, Wii, PS2, GC, 360, PS3, Wii U?
I realized that afterward (despite being colorblind myself), so I made one easier to read:
iRDD7EBIQhzX7.png

Don't hold your breath

I don't think it is likely, because I think Sony is still happy with their sales and their current price. But if thing start to look as front loaded as some of the folks in this thread seem to think, then Sony is in a much better position to drop the price on the PS4 than they were when they did drop it on the PS3.

It all comes down to the games. If GTAV was PS4/XB1 exclusive it would have consoles flying out the door. But everything is still in that weird crossover period and studios still need more time to put together their next gen exclusives.

I'm finally back!!!

So XB1 @ 115k, 360 @ 71k

I've seen rumors that PS4 is @ ~199k? Based off some calculations apparently?

That's disappointing

And with everything else below 115k, my predictions are screwed :'(

Ah well

Edit: Holy shit, people calculating 3.3k Vita sales?

LOCK

Summary so far (thanks to creamsugar):

HW

PS4: ~199k
XB1: 115k
360: 71k
Wii U: ~49k
PSV: ~3.3k

(Wii+WiiU+3DS)<PS4

SW:

Kirby ~41k
Mario Golf ~17k
Titanfall (standalone) ~77k
Titanfall (standalone + bundle) ~140k
Infamous ~82k

Pretty obvious that the Kinect Sports super bomba made the dropping Kinect decision that much easier. It was THE killer app for the device this year.

Banned

Indeed. While they don't all appeal to me, the games coming in the September-December timeframe are big heavy hitters and some new ip's

Destiny
CoD
AC Unity
The Order
Evolve
Arkham Knight
Sunset Overdrive
Uncharted 4 (possibly)
X
Bayonetta 2
Smash for Wii U

And who knows what Q4 games will be announced at E3.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's ~199k

We need PS3 and 3DS.

3DS is about 100k.

Cream said 3DS + Wii U was about equal to PS4, then later gave a figure that revealed the Wii U is about 49k, putting the 3DS at about 100k.

[edit] eh, OK, I guess he said Wii + Wii U + 3DS is LESS than PS4, so the 3DS didn't quite make 100k.

MormaPope

Banned
Your question makes no sense. You're comparing this generation where two core consoles released at the same time to last generation where one console released a year previously and proceeded to lead in sales in the US all generation. Obviously last 2007 would look different than 2014 since the Xbox 360 had already been out for an entire year and had a considerably larger install base than the Xbox One does now. You're comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying your argument has no merit, but there's no valid comparison between your data sets.

The 360 didn't win because of 2006 alone. Also the scenario is actually exactly the same when it comes to the timing next gen console releases, its just been flipped a little.

2005: Xbox 360 launch
2006: PS3/Wii Launch

2012: Wii-U launch
2013: PS4/Xbone launch

It makes more sense to me to compare this gen to last gen when all the competitors released something on the market than looking at which console had a time advantage and seeing how things chart then.

Eusis

Is anyone else even a little bit curious about Conception 2 and Demon Gaze sales?
We never get much info on niche games so I think many of us are resigned to never knowing for sure. I just figure a few thousand, but enough for the games they were. Maybe. We'll see if any successors show up here.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
3DS is about 100k.

Cream said 3DS + Wii U was about equal to PS4, then later gave a figure that revealed the Wii U is about 49k, putting the 3DS at about 100k.

[edit] eh, OK, I guess he said Wii + Wii U + 3DS is LESS than PS4, so the 3DS didn't quite make 100k.

Huh? Wii + 3DS <= 150K, not 100K....

Vylsith

Banned
The 360 didn't win because of 2006 alone. Also the scenario is actually exactly the same when it comes to the timing next gen console releases, its just been flipped a little.

2005: Xbox 360 launch
2006: PS3/Wii Launch

2012: Wii-U launch
2013: PS4/Xbone launch

It makes more sense to me to compare this gen to last gen when all the competitors released something on the market than looking at which console had a time advantage and seeing how things chart then.

You're still comparing apples to oranges. You don't see the obvious logical fallacy with comparing the Wii U to the Xbox 360? Really? Come on...

Looking at game sales alone. How many Wii U games charted high this April? Compare that to how many 360 games charted high in 2007. Your argument instantly becomes ridiculous. No offense, but there's no logical comparison between 2007 and 2014. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

Besides, we're still in a worldwide recession. The fact that the game industry is up year over year should be enough to celebrate. Way too many pessimistic people here who are seeing doom where there isn't any...

Wow that Mario Golf opening is rough

Infamous seems to have done okay in its second month

TF XB1 is hard to judge as the bundle was probably the most attractive XB1 SKU and so much of the sales came from that

Would love to get Kinect SR numbers

E3 is less than a month from now, so lots of things are going to get announced soon. However, I still feel like A LOT of people are content with the last-gen systems. I know plenty of people who just got PS3s in the last 2 years, and are currently catching up on games they missed out on over the last 7-8 years, myself included (I've owned a PS3 a few times, but there is a ton of stuff I haven't gotten around to yet.) Sony and Microsoft both made the mistake of waiting far too long to get the price down on their previous consoles, and that really caused a lot of the mainstream gamers who makeup the majority of sales to hold off on buying those machines until they were more affordable. Well, that's what I think happened, at least.

Remember, as far as North America is concerned, there was a recession taking place during the prime years of the previous gen. People weren't spending money like they were before that.

Eusis

Why wouldn't I be?
I've posted ten times in this thread already about it.
Well, PS4 isn't DANGEROUSLY lower than the Xbox 360 at this same point in its life (which was heavily supply constrained) and the Xbox One IS ahead of the PS3 at this point in its life going by the April 2007 NPD I dug up so while the growth isn't huge and doesn't seem to be enough for some of the games the industry seemingly wants to make anymore, it isn't that hard to believe industry people are excited.

I can't help but wonder if we could enter a situation where console sales are fairly good but the software collapses because it just got too expensive, being a surreal scenario where we have a high number of people actively interested (more so than 20 years ago anyway) but what they want is too big for just them alone.

MormaPope

Banned
You're still comparing apples to oranges. You don't see the obvious logical fallacy with comparing the Wii U to the Xbox 360? Really? Come on...

That's why I didn't compare Wii-U numbers in 2013 with 360 numbers in 2006. I compared two points in time when all next gen stuff was out and what was charting software wise. We'll have to agree to disagree on whatever this argument is.

Besides, we're still in a worldwide recession. The fact that the game industry is up year over year should be enough to celebrate. Way too many pessimistic people here who are seeing doom where there isn't any...

I mean, I personally said nothing about doom, don't know where you're getting that from. Something being different or not as good doesn't equal doom.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm fascinated by how this industry is crashing. The amount of people that have left for mobile is amazing. I was shocked that people were saying that this generation was going to be bigger than the last. Can't see this generation coming anywhere close to the 250+ million of the last at this point.

I'm fascinated by the people that can observe a situation like this and determine that a crash is occurring. The two biggest console launches in history took place in the same month, and sales have been great otherwise, especially given the PR mistakes made by MS and Sony playing its cards very close to its chest. Now that the games have dried up and we're entering the summer drought, suddenly the sales drop you would expect is the harbinger of doom. Neither manufacturer has really given people much reason to jump ship this year, so at least wait until the fall buying season before making anymore predictions about long-term viability.

We never get much info on niche games so I think many of us are resigned to never knowing for sure. I just figure a few thousand, but enough for the games they were. Maybe. We'll see if any successors show up here.
We got Dangan Ronpa numbers in February though, right? Was hoping since it seems like a slow month that we'd get numbers on these two as well.

Top Bottom