• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Director: We're Aiming to Deliver a Premium Experience, 30FPS Was a Choice

Taken serious by whom? 120 dudes on Neogaf?

The visuals of this game or going to blow the minds of millions and only a very, VERY small percentage is going to go to a DF article to count the frames.

Sadly, yes, not many out there not on the interwebs care about that. Same goes for resolution, but we never hear the end of that when even most seasoned gamers cannot tell the resolution is an 'issue' until someone breaks out the magnifying glass to point it out. At least with framerate, people can tell very easily if you're playing other games before and after that run at 60fps, which many if not most are on PS4 so far. And the people complaining about people complaining about framerate would do well to remember that these are topics addressed in the linked and quoted articles, so it's not random bitching. Had DC gone for 60fps, I'm pretty certain we'd be hearing how awesome and important it is from all corners and not just those unhappy with it not happening.

How can a dev who wants to be taken serious make a statement like that? It's an obvious lie. It's ok to just say that they focused on visual fidelity or that they think that "the experience" TM is the most important thing...many ways to say that without stating bullshit. If you say that the switch from 60 to 30FPS has no impact on gameplay, that's a lie. It's as easy as that.

I'm sorry, didn't realise you were the developer of a next gen game and have a proven track record of making decent racing games of 30fps.

Getting fed up of 60fps whiners, if you want 60fps play on PC.

velociraptor

Last time I checked there is no screen that supports 240fps on PC.

thatsthejoke.gif

My point is that it's extremely silly for you '120fps PC gamers' to come in console threads and complain about the FPS.

30FPS will be the norm this generation. It's not going to change now, it's not going to change tomorrow.

Gestault

It was a perfect fit in Project Gotham and Forza Horizon, and we've seen nothing to suggest it won't be a perfect fit here.

ICPEE

So a rock solid 30fps with no dips is bad? So I guess Forza horizon and PGR are horrible too?

Between this and the whole watch dogs thread it seems like gamers these days just look for the negatives and start the bashing. It's pathetic. If you don't like it then don't buy it, but don't stink up every thread with your shit.
Agree. These Driveclub threads are getting ruined by peole constantly stinking it up with framerte talk when the developer has stated for the 100th time that the framerate was their design choice. Mods need to consider some enforcement here. Every 2nd response is going to be about the framerate and less about the actual game considering some of the best arcade racers like Forza Horizon and PGR ran at 30fps and no one found those games to be a problem.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sadly, yes, not many out there not on the interwebs care about that. Same goes for resolution, but we never hear the end of that when even most seasoned gamers cannot tell the resolution is an 'issue' until someone breaks out the magnifying glass to point it out. At least with framerate, people can tell very easily if you're playing other games before and after that run at 60fps, which many if not most are on PS4 so far. And the people complaining about people complaining about framerate would do well to remember that these are topics addressed in the linked and quoted articles, so it's not random bitching. Had DC gone for 60fps, I'm pretty certain we'd be hearing how awesome and important it is from all corners and not just those unhappy with it not happening.

Lots of bad ideas all around

Appealing to masses and dismissing people for the same reason is just bs argument. Acting as if a majority consumers will ever voice their opinion beyond their wallets when it comes to games for me is a first. 60fps is not a majority of titles for PS4 it hasn't been for any 3d console since the PSX era. Saying people don't care about resolution is to ignore why AMD or NVIDIA is around today and without their progress since DX8 launched console or pc gaming just wouldn't be the same.

Thrakier

Taken serious by whom? 120 dudes on Neogaf?

The visuals of this game or going to blow the minds of millions and only a very, VERY small percentage is going to go to a DF article to count the frames.

Taken serious by people who know the difference between 60FPS and 30FPS. Easy answer, eh?

Thrakier

Locked 30fps really isn't choppy in anyway. It isn't as smooth as 60fps but it's far from *choopy*.

It is choppy, if you your perception is used to 60FPS. Play a 60FPS game and switch the FPS on the fly to 30 - you can do this on PC. The difference is night and day.

If you did not experience this for youreself, you will not understand. It's that easy. You can discuss and argue all day or you can just go there and experience the difference, get used to 60FPS. And then we can talk again.

We have known for a long time that it is 30 FPS. Why do people keep complaining? If it is such a deal breaker ignore the game and move on and let those of us actually looking forward to it discuss it without making every single thread turn into a discussion about the Frame rate. There has been tons of 30 FPS racers and a lot of them were great. It is really not that big a deal.

30FPS Was a Choice!

Is there really a fear by the industry on what "enthusiast gamers" gamers think about framerates and resolutions etc. potentially affecting sales? Seems there's a lot of downplaying or information from devs this gen about specs to reassure or provide an explanation to ppl that supposedly "don't matter".

Denton

Extremely disappointing news for me. Half a decade on 1080p/60fps spoiled me, 30, while playable, is just unpleasant for me. I hoped they would go for 60 and I would have another reason to get PS4. I could do without those volumetric clouds and stuff.

We have known for a long time that it is 30 FPS. Why do people keep complaining? If it is such a deal breaker ignore the game and move on and let those of us actually looking forward to it discuss it without making every single thread turn into a discussion about the Frame rate. There has been tons of 30 FPS racers and a lot of them were great. It is really not thay big a deal.

Maybe people keep complaining because they still don't like the idea.

This is a thread about the choice of 30 FPS, people are free to voice their discontent with the priorities of this game. May I suggest visiting another topic if you don't like this one?

Lots of bad ideas all around

Appealing to masses and dismissing people for the same reason is just bs argument. Acting as if a majority consumers will ever voice their opinion beyond their wallets when it comes to games for me is a first. 60fps is not a majority of titles for PS4 it hasn't been for any 3d console since the PSX era. Saying people don't care about resolution is to ignore why AMD or NVIDIA is around today and without their progress since DX8 launched console or pc gaming just wouldn't be the same.
My point was that native resolution, a talking point on console forums, isn't something easily noticeable to the naked eye and less so to the less interested gamer who can qualify for being one of the millions who don't get caught up on that, and yet it's made a big deal when smoothness of update is much more noticeable to anyone regardless of how much of an enthusiast or fan you are...and you don't need specialized equipment and knowledgeable experts to weigh in on it or zoom in many times to see it or 'feel' it.
1080p is mostly still a talking point for marketing to sell you on a new card or display or game system. 60fps makes up a ton of PS4 games' framerates, even if they're not locked-in in many cases, they do go well above 30fps on average.

Maybe people keep complaining because they still don't like the idea.

This is a thread about the choice of 30 FPS, people are free to voice their discontent with the priorities of this game. May I suggest visiting another topic if you don't like this one?

I understand that and heck I prefer 60 FPS (that's what PC is for) but I've long since accepted that current consoles aren't going to bw hitting often. Complaining in this thread is fine, I suppose (thpugh it accomplishes little); however it feels like every DC thread just devolves into a debate of 30 vs. 60 (which is not even a question, 60 is obviously better, but 30 is perfectly fne).

Bundy

Banned
It is choppy, if you your perception is used to 60FPS. Play a 60FPS game and switch the FPS on the fly to 30 - you can do this on PC. The difference is night and day.

If you did not experience this for youreself, you will not understand. It's that easy. You can discuss and argue all day or you can just go there and experience the difference, get used to 60FPS. And then we can talk again.
So this is the reason you you are in nearly every DRIVECLUB thread?
To remind us all?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I figured 30fps would at least allow for a clearer image, seeing as how the frame lasts twice as long, but I was viewing this on my strobing monitor before. I didn't realize how blurry it was on a regular screen.

Neh I've never thought or experienced that. 60fps simply always looked far cleaner than 30 in motion.

It was perfect fit in Project Gotham and Forza Horizon, and we've seen nothing to suggest it won't be a perfect fit here.
This is really what it comes down to.

On one side you have "60fps mandatory", and on the other side you have examples like PGR and Forza and the Motorstorm games. The proof is in the pudding, and we've got plenty of examples of incredible 30fps racers.

I love 60fps but it is not required that every last racing game hit that bar, or that nobody on the PS4 can have a racer with gobsmackingly huge and detailed natural environments and global illumination with shifting time of day.

Its principle vs proof. An idea versus experience. Its also about elevating one's personal criteria for performance tradeoffs above the devs and artists working on the game day in and day out. Its fucking bizarre.

I understand that and heck I prefer 60 FPS (that's what PC is for) but I've long since accepted that current consoles aren't going to bw hitting often. Complaining in this thread is fine, I suppose (thpugh it accomplishes little); however it feels like every DC thread just devolves into a debate of 30 vs. 60 (which is not even a question, 60 is obviously better, but 30 is perfectly fne).

Sometimes developers look for feedback, and in many occasions they tend to read very popular gaming boards to see how certain ideas are received.

I doubt anything will change at this point, but at the very least the DC developers can at least realize how unpopular the choice to stick with 30 FPS is. Maybe it's not unpopular enough for them to even care (and I'm pretty sure that's the case, they've made it clear they want the shiniest racer in the market at the expense of pretty much everything else), but I find the whole "everyone shut up and stop discussing something I'm not interested about!" sentiment silly. I mean, plenty of people said that about the XB1 DRM fiasco from last year and it still managed to make a splash. You never know when developers choose to take the feedback to heart, if not in this game, at least the next.

rjc571

Banned
Key word in my post is vision

You're fooling yourself if you think the game looks exactly as they envisioned it. They would've made the game look even better if the PS4 could handle it at 30 fps. Developers are always making sacrifices to their vision to ensure that their game runs at a playable framerate.

This 30 vs 60 crybaby bullshit is getting a bit old. I remember the days when running graphically intensive PC games at 30 fps was an achievement, and most people were perfectly happy playing a game like Half-Life in the 20's. Too many spoiled little kids who think the $400 or $500 hardware their mother purchased them is as capable as a $3,000 PC. Most threads are littered with these bullshit comments.

Driveclub looks amazing and as evident through KZ:SF, 1080p locked at 30fps, provides solid gameplay.

Exile20

Forza Horizon was 30fps yet looked gorgeous! Driveclub at 30 will look gorgeous too

iRW2oDKOrO9Iz.gif

Well fps doesnt really have anything to do with how it looks but how it feels.

A game can look "gorgeous" at 15 fps.

I can't wait until Forza Horizon 2 is announced, these Driveclub threads are going to take on a whole new level of hilarity if the framerate matches the first game's.

Or, every FH2 thread will be utterly ruined by the same old bullshit we see here.

So yeah go with 30 but shut up and don't try to sell it as a premium experience or some shit.

why the fuck not?

some of you need to take the god damn logs out your ass

I overwhelmingly prefer 60fps but threads like this just bring out the assholes who view their personal metric for acceptability as the gold standard and any dev who defies that couldn't possibly have any excuse for talking up their game! What the fuck do they know, after all

Sheesh

Because it's not "premium" when it's a sub-optimal choice for the genre.

I don't know, maybe there's other elements to the game besides its framerate that have the developers pegging it as a 'premium' product? This whole argument is semantics but still

nib95

Banned
No point in "pushing visual fidelity" if you're just going to make it look ugly with a choppy framerate.

30fps is not choppy. Not even close. Some people barely even notice the difference, but I guarantee you (non jaded) people will notice the difference in Driveclub's graphics.

Joeki11a

Banned
I am making a prediction, months after this game drops It wil get an option to Unlock the framerate ala Killzone/Infamous
they will warn that graphics will go down a bit, hell even like Bioshock they will feature a Vsync unlock t givin the game atleast 50fps.

I could never get the point of people complaining about a game's chosen fps for an exclusive game. I look at it like this: The game won't be playable elsewhere with better performance so why moan about it??

I can't wait until Forza Horizon 2 is announced, these Driveclub threads are going to take on a whole new level of hilarity if the framerate matches the first game's.

Or, every FH2 thread will be utterly ruined by the same old bullshit we see here.

It will be bitched about just the same way Forza 1, PG2+3+4, and Horizon were disappointing. The only thing that can barely excuse Horizon is that it's a fully-open world game with an incredible draw distance and night/day cycle lighting and lots of traffic on nearly seven-year old hardware and a half-gig of memory at 720p. Like that game, PGR sequels to the first (which was 60fps) got lots of love, just like any other 30fps game that is fun and good-looking, but there was always complaining about the framerate in those threads because of the drop. DC should deserve all of its praise, but there will be bitching about the framerate...especially when there are other next-gen racers that don't make that trade. There's no singling out a Sony product no matter what you're trying to assert. I want Horizon 2, if it's actually a thing, to be 60fps. I also want DC, but like every damn game that chooses to go for 30fps because it's 'acceptable' doesn't mean everyone is happy with that choice. Voicing discontent or not falling in with the rest who don't care or more simply and happily accept whatever comes across your plate seems to be a problem with some posters, I guess.

Gestault

ibkg9OTrCbgVxH.gif

ib2ae8k626dKou.gif

Not that we haven't seen other beautiful driving games this gen, but I'd be comfortable calling these signs of a "premium" experience. In the sense of giving higher priority to presentation than strict comformation to a higher framerate.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I could never get the point of people complaining about a game's chosen fps for an exclusive game. I look at it like this: The game won't be playable elsewhere with better performance so why moan about it??

What an odd way to look at it.

The reason to moan about it is precisely because there will be no other way to play it. Some people don't like being stuck at the mercy of developers who make bad decisions.

Top Bottom