• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Final Fantasy XII

Squalor

Final Fantasy XII is a top-five mainline Final Fantasy.

The characters are great. There was one weak link, Penelo, among the principle cast.

The gameplay was fantastic. The plot was intriguing. The story had scope and focus.

Overall, the villains could have been better, but a few of them were really good.

Fantastic game, easily the best 3D Final Fantasy title and I'm sure that the IZJS would've placed it at the top since I'm a sucker for the class system. No boring melodramatic plot about saving the world from some ultimate evil. Main characters that I don't hate. Excellent soundtrack that doesn't get enough praise. Fantastic battle system that was extremely customizable (maybe to its detriment, it was really really hard for me to individualize my characters, but it did make the game far more challenging and fun). The best voice acting and dialogue in the series. The game was great and I really wished SE would've built upon it with XIII, but we all know how that turned out.

Game doesn't need to be defended, it needs to be commended

Servbot24

Banned
I had no idea this game needed a defense. he characters and plot are largely boring, no defending that, but otherwise it's the best FF game.

I remember when I first played FFXII I thought it was the worst and completely abandoned it. Ended up trying it again four months later and it ended up being one of my most favorite final fantasy games ever. Though to be fair the beginning of the game felt like a chore which put me off initially.

Definitely #1 in gameplay mechanics for me.

Spinluck

I quite like Final Fantasy XII. Dialogue is great, story is okay to good - nothing to detract from everything else too much. There is a lot of optional content in terms of hidden areas, or hunts, or extra bosses. I guess to put it in short, the player has quite a bit of choice in what they want to do. Yeah, there's a main story path of course, but oftentimes you might decide to explore a bit, find/acquire better equipment, take on rare enemies. Hoping to play IZJS one of these days.

It has the best dialogue in the series.

None of that tweenish emo bullshit. Well, very little of it. Lol.

I just want a HD version of it

Vita version too pls. Would be a great game on handhelds. P4 made a great transition to Vita.

Gamerloid

I really don't like this game. Forgettable story, gameplay wasn't to my liking (especially the level and license system), and the cast was poor. Balthier deserved to be the lead character.

The game should have been a new IP. This could have been a new franchise square could have improved and worked with.

I really don't like this game. Forgettable story, gameplay wasn't to my liking (especially the level and license system), and the cast was poor. Balthier deserved to be the lead character.

The game should have been a new IP. This could have been a new franchise square could have improved and worked with.

I too hate killing enemies to gain EXP points.

SephiZack

I always thought FFXII was one of Neogaf''s favourite Final Fantasy, so it definitely doesn't need defending on this board

Gamerloid

I too hate killing enemies to gain EXP points.

Actually, you just made me realize that it was worse than I previously remembered. Levels were just won in battle, which is fine, but you also received LP. The license board for magic and equipment was horrid. I was thinking the levels were tied to the LP in the way it is for FFX.

Actually, you just made me realize that it was worse than I previously remembered. Levels were just won in battle, which is fine, but you also received LP. The license board for magic and equipment was horrid. I was thinking the levels were tied to the LP in the way it is for FFX.

What exactly was horrid about it, at all? LP points were so easy to come by that you'd have to be ridiculously underleveled for you to not be able to equip up to par equipment. I was even able to get a Deathbringer super early with no extra grinding required.

Philippo

FFXII doesn't need to be defended.
It's my PS2 GOAT.
Wonderful in every aspect.

I hope we get a future spritual successor, or at least FFXV seems like it.

Gamerloid

What exactly was horrid about it, at all? LP points were so easy to come by that you'd have to be ridiculously underleveled for you to not be able to equip up to par equipment. I was even able to get a Deathbringer super early with no extra grinding required.

I wish I could go in depth for you, but that game is hazy for me in terms of how mechanics worked exactly. I wouldn't want to work with anymore false info as I did with my first reply. Sorry.

Damaniel

Banned
Definitely doesn't need defending. It's the best of the post-PSX Final Fantasy games for sure, and the relatively weak story is the only thing that keeps it from being the best FF game of all.

I'd like to see a HD remake of the game, or (even better) a new game that uses the same play mechanics as XII.

dabig2

I probably put in over 200 hours, far more time then I've put into any of the other FFs bar FFXI. I remember loving the combat system after having played FFXI for a couple years before.

Buuuuut, the rest of the game itself was entirely mediocre. Didn't care for the story. Didn't care for the world. Sure as hell didn't care for the characters. Balthier is the only guy I can picture in my head. In fact, I barely even remember the plot of the game nor do I remember any great scenes in the game. I can remember all of that stuff for the other FF games and every other RPG I devote time to - just not this one.

elyetis

Probably a good jrpg, but never felt a final fantasy to me, which was too big of a downer after so many years.
And it did make me feel like playing final fantasy XI but with a bad ( or lack of ) job system, lack of trinity, worst graphics, ost and even story ( promathia ).

Oxn

I will echo what everyone has been saying. Amazing RPG.

Top 3 FF game for sure. I want that remastered version ASAP.

dorkkaos

I absolutely love FFXII. I easily sank in over 300 hours into that game haha. It needs no defense as other people have said.

The only thing they need to change (atleast for me) would be:
1. Needs more story. Certain characters need more development as well. Vaan and Penelo especially.
2. Increased difficulty
3. Better sound quality
4. Atleast give us the option to change camera controls. I do not like the inverted camera at all :(

Final Fantasy XII needs no defense, its easily a top 5, maybe top 3 in the main franchise.

FF VI is obviously number one.

I can't help but roll my eyes at this... I would say VII is #1..

there is no "obviously" #1 in FF... I'm sure XIII is #1 for a lot of people. I would put 10 over 6, personally.

7>10>6>9>13>8>4>12>5>3>2>1 for me

If I had to rank the final fantasies, it would probably be something like this:

Final Fantasy VII >Final Fantasy XII >Final Fantasy IX > Final Fantasy VI > Final Fantasy VIII > Final Fantasy V > Final Fantasy IV > Final Fantasy XIII > Final Fantasy X > Final Fantasy II > Final Fantasy I > Final Fantasy III

And for what it's worth, I played the series in following order:

I > VI > VII > II > III > IV > V > X > XII > IX > XIII > VIII

If I had to rank the final fantasies,

I'm going to stop you right there and say that you don't have to rank the Final Fantasy games.

Also, FFXII is a pretty deeply flawed game in a number of ways but it's also still absolutely the most ambitious FF game ever made and the necessary template for the future of the series.

Probably a good jrpg, but never felt a final fantasy to me, which was too big of a downer after so many years.
And it did make me feel like playing final fantasy XI but with a bad ( or lack of ) job system, lack of trinity, worst graphics, ost and even story ( promathia ).

What about it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to you?

It used some classic songs, such as the victory theme and main FF theme
It had some classic Final Fantasy monsters such as Malboros
It had Chocobos
And the battle system was an evolution of the classic ATB battle system?

I guess what I'm asking is, what makes a Final Fantasy what it is?

Blobbers

I love FF XII.

What I don't get is how was this game ever considered the worst FF game ever made during pre-FF XIII time because FF VIII existed. FF XII, while sporting a lackluster story and feeling unfinished in some aspects, at least had awesome gameplay and great leveling system.
FF VIII, on the other hand has an awful story feat. many asspulls AND it has bad gameplay.

I played through it once. I thought it was convoluted and lacked clear direction. The story was very forgettable, the characters bland, and the combat was the worst of all the FFs I've played(6,7,8,9,10). The music was not up to the standards of previous titles.

While it wasn't the worst game I've played, it was the worst FF I've played. I wish Square-Enix would start releasing new FF titles based on the old way of FF. Pre-rendered backgrounds, no voice acting, more emphasis on the score, etc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FFXII was critically acclaimed upon release and it immediately impressed a lot of people who played it. But it freaked out a lot of console RPG fans who appeared to have little exposure to the somewhat western conventions it adopted. Outside of comparing in a very broad way to MMOs.

A vocal minority quickly earned the game the greatly exaggerated reputation of a batshit insane perversion of everything a "sensible" RPG should be. There's legit things to criticize in it, but today it's fairly respected.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How good of a CPU do I need to run this on my PC? I have a i7 870 @ 2.93

Cudder

I'm playing FFX right now for the first time (my first FF as well), but I have a PS2 copy of FFXII ready to play too. Now I'm afraid of starting it in case they announce an HD version. Is there any grounding to the rumors of HD FFXII or is it all just hopes and wishes?

I'm playing FFX right now for the first time (my first FF as well), but I have a PS2 copy of FFXII ready to play too. Now I'm afraid of starting it in case they announce an HD version. Is there any grounding to the rumors of HD FFXII or is it all just hopes and wishes?

The most we've heard is that they'll consider it if FFX HD does well. If there is an FFXII HD, it's probably a few years off.

TheFatOne

Started replaying it recently and then stopped when I realized I had already opened one of the chests you aren't supposed to open to get the zodiac spear. Whoever came up with that bullshit needs to be fired.

FF12 was probably the most love-it-or-hate-it FF ever at the time of its release, but the hate has died down since XIII was released, since all the people who hated XII hate XIII and its spinoffs several times more, so their feelings towards XII have cooled down to "meh."

I'd say every Final Fantasy since VII (excluding IX) has gone through this process, though not always to the same degree. It's Final Fantasy's own version of the Zelda cycle.

Top Bottom