• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Final Fantasy XII

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Question :
I got to the mountain village where you found out the plot origins of the princess. How close was I to finishing the game? I'd go look for more details but I just did that and pretty much spoiled the entire rest of the game. I'm in the process of wiping it from my mind though so it's okay.

The only defense FFXII needs though is a Vita re-release so I can let the Gambit system grind for me while I watch football or something. I remember playing it, and being rather bored at it's apparently complex story. But now that I'm older, I know I will be able to appreciate it now.

Yasae

Banned
I'm also sick and tired of "The game DOESN'T play itself" and/or "You can use manual control at any time!!!"

The game does fuckin' play itself just like FF XIII plays itself. So what about manual control? That would only be a good point if it enhanced gameplay and was made necessary by the game.

I really do need to get around to replaying XII via the Zodiac Edition (I would have definitely jumped on it by now if there was an Undub of Zodiac; though not to knock XII's localization, which was pretty damn good). A proper remaster would be nice, though I'm sure the game will look great emulated with the resolution and AA cranked up - much like FFIX at the end of the PS1's life cycle, XII's actively gimped by the PS2 hardware.

I still put in 80-100 hours in my original playthrough back when it came out, so I definitely can't say I hate the game. I've always kinda viewed it and X as opposite sides of a coin as far as pros/cons go. It fixed a lot of problems, but had its own drawbacks.

In a post-XIII world, I'll likely have an even more favorable view of elements of XII now. And then the Zodiac Job system in itself also solves a lot of the issues with the game. Pretty much the only thing the game's missing is a proper last leg of the narrative/final dungeon.

Question :
I got to the mountain village where you found out the plot origins of the princess. How close was I to finishing the game? I'd go look for more details but I just did that and pretty much spoiled the entire rest of the game. I'm in the process of wiping it from my mind though so it's okay.

The only defense FFXII needs though is a Vita re-release so I can let the Gambit system grind for me while I watch football or something. I remember playing it, and being rather bored at it's apparently complex story. But now that I'm older, I know I will be able to appreciate it now.

If you're where I think you are, I'd say maybe 60% of the way through

Ralemont

not me
FFXIII would have been a much better game with Gambits.

Hell, any JRPG released after XII that inexplicably features awful AI systems. Ni No Kuni was unplayable for me. Dragon Age is the only other RPG series I've played that comes close.

I do see some people asking if it's all that controversial whether XII is a good game. Let me tell you that trying to defend XII on message boards upon release was rough times. It's pleasing to see how well the opinion of it has aged, at least on this particular forum.

Best voice acting of any game. Incredible music. Great open world. Memorable characters.

That moment when you realize your summons are the Lucavi.

Petrae

Final Fantasy XII is the least in need of defending out of all the Final Fantasy games. The people that loved it pretty much consider it the best in the series. The people that hate it...well, they just don't like change that much, I suppose.

I'm one of those people in the bolded. Multiple attempts at playing FFXII always end after a couple of hours. I don't like the battle system at all, which precludes much of the possible enjoyment of the game for me. I prefer more traditional turn-based combat, probably because my most enjoyable FF experiences came from that system. The stark change turned me off when I played it the first time back in 2006... and that feeling hasn't shifted since.

The game looks and sounds great, though, and I won't say that it's a bad game or needs defending because I don't like it.

MogCakes

I thought it was obviously just an opinion. I don't believe there can be any absolute statements regarding art. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

People don't realize it but it's all too easy to assert opinions as statements that carry weight in truth to them. It's the difference between "It just wasn't for me" and "The music was not up to the standards of previous titles". I'm not singling you out, it's something that anyone can make a mistake with.

I rag on the soundtrack mostly from a technical POV. The sample libraries are baaaaad, in many cases worse than say FFX. It takes what could be decent music and turns it into a big pile of programmed mush. The results sound cheap.

You know I think this is it. It smacked of the super generic stuff from the Tales soundtracks

Years after release, Final Fantasy XII remains one of Final Fantasy's most controversial titles. It has become a symbol of the decline of the Final Fantasy franchise, a prelude to the terrors of Final Fantasy XIII. Subjected to a particularly long and dramatic development cycle, the wait for Final Fantasy XII was long and agonizing for fans of the franchise. Many gamers skipped Final Fantasy XI due to the nature of it's gameplay, as it was seen as a spin off rather than main series entry due to it being an MMO (a complaint later echoed against Dragon Quest X). Furthermore, gamers were hesitant to embrace the game, as it was the first game in the series to be be released without the guidance of series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi. While many people belief Sakaguchi would have worked on Final Fantasy XII had he still worked at Square Enix, this is a mistaken idea. In truth, development began on Final Fantasy XII long before his departure from the company. It was Sakaguchi himself who hand-picked up and coming designer Yasumi Matsuno to helm the project. Although Matsuno would quit the project midway through, citing health concerns, the game's story and concept work was already complete, and Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of the ATB battle system, was appointed to finish the project.
Ito wasn't "appointed" there. He was already directing since day one. Ito was the gameplay director from the start, while Matsuno was the story director.

zsswimmer

I'd love to see a XII on the ps4 as a port someday, although I doubt it will happen, I could see it going to the vita though. It's been too long since I've played it last and it's such a great game

It needs no defense. It's not even my favorite ff game, I don't even like the plot or really even the characters but it's still an amazing high point for the series.

legacyzero

Banned
This game doesn't need defending... It's amazing. I actually bought FFX-HD in hopes that they would give the same treatment to this game. It deserves it. I have some wishes too:

-One thing I always hated about XII is the low poly count models. I think I read that they did mainly to focus on textures. I hope they raise the poly count AND improve textures.

-Better voice quality, especially since the VO is so excellent.

-International content is a MUST

-
REMOVE VAAN FROM THE GAME

-DON'T FUCKING TOUCH THE SOUNDTRACK YOU IDIOTS. IT'S PERFECT.

Also, it looks amazing on Emulators.

ibmG6asUvPVZ6Z.png

i9gqNSUm5Nlg5.png

iUBCvYQmGuGkv.png

FF XII does not need defending.
Great sense of andventure, hunts are great and battlesystem is good.

FF ranking.
1. FF VII (nostalgia)
2. FF IX and FF XII
3. FF X and FF VIII
4. Rest of FF

reKon

Banned
I'm really looking forward to the remastered version as I had a fun 15ish hours that I've actually put into the PS2 version of the game. I still the think that music wise the FFX soundtrack absolutely blows it out of the water. There wasn't one memorable track for to me in the first 15 hours I played of FF XII. It was a completely different style of music, but for me it just didn't do it. It was not melodic, did not complement the areas of the game as well as they did in FFX, and it just lacked identity. The best track that I heard while playing in my time was the intense boss battle music.

I'm really sorry that you feel that way, because to me I love FFXII's soundtrack so much. I thought it added tons of personality to the game. It would be my favorite PS2 soundtrack, if it weren't for the fact that Romancing SaGa is also on the PS2

Spinluck

Best jrpg ever. IZJS version is pretty much perfect.

I only played the original, what was the difference in this version?

This game doesn't need defending... It's amazing. I actually bought FFX-HD in hopes that they would give the same treatment to this game. It deserves it. I have some wishes too:

-One thing I always hated about XII is the low poly count models. I think I read that they did mainly to focus on textures. I hope they raise the poly count AND improve textures.

-Better voice quality, especially since the VO is so excellent.

-International content is a MUST

-
REMOVE VAAN FROM THE GAME

-DON'T FUCKING TOUCH THE SOUNDTRACK YOU IDIOTS. IT'S PERFECT.

Also, it looks amazing on Emulators.

Game looked fantastic, pushed the PS2 for sure.

I loved how big everything felt.

I'm actually replaying FF12 right now for the first time in several years. I adore FF12. I didn't at first, though. I was in line at Gamestop the night it came out. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition (complete waste of $10, by the way). I rushed home after finally getting my hands on it and to put it mildly I wasn't exactly satisfied. "This isn't Final Fantasy," I said to myself. I probably put in a good 10 hours or so in before shelving it and moving on.

It wasn't until years later that I gave it a fair shot. Free of expectations I was able to judge the game on its own merits. It's still not Final Fantasy, not exactly, but in so many ways it's something so much more. It's a game full of ideas but sometimes lacking in the execution. I think the biggest knock against it is that it's literally impossible to get the most out of FF12 without a guide in your hand. But when it gets stuff right, it gets stuff right.

To this day the battle system stands at the top of its class. Dragon Age lifted a lot of the concepts, and mostly improved upon them, but there's something about the pace of Final Fantasy XII that I prefer. Each action is deliberate. Dragon Age gets chaotic on the highest difficulty and you sometimes feel like you're barely managing to hold everything together. Final Fantasy XII is all about sitting back and watching a plan come together. There's nothing more satisfying to me than setting the controller down during a boss fight and seeing my characters play out the roles I've assigned to them. To an outside observer that may seem like my ultimate goal is to not have to play the game, but in truth I've earned the break through my own agency as a player.

It's a real pretty game when emulated, too. Some of the textures and models are a bit rough around the edges, but for the most part it feels like the way it was meant to be played.

leroidys

I don't understand the "the game plays itself complaints".

Ignoring the fact that you can set it up to be completely turn-based just like every FF game...

The new ADB system still takes a ton of planning, strategizing, and even programming. It's fantastic. There's still tons of player involvement. The main difference is that you're not pressing 'x' while they battle is in progress. You still have to have a variety of strategies in place based on enemy types and groups, your levels, buffs, new gambits acquired, etc... Is the actual physical act of pressing the button so important to people as to completely lose their shit over this? I play RPGs for the strategy, stat crunching, and planning involved. Mashing on buttons all day I could take or leave.

I only played the original, what was the difference in this version?

Added a job system, loot balancing, summons are less shit, fast forward button for fast travel (!!!), some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Tomodachi

Listening to the Crimson Shroud OST (fans of FFXII: get this gem, and I mean both the game and the soundtrack) gave me the final boost I needed to finally get the Zodiac Job System version. But is the 0.22 english patch the most recent one? Is it more or less complete? It sounds like an early version from the number :/

Top Bottom