• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

Fox Mulder

Nice nice.

Too bad Uncle Bernie won't let you put a F1 car or two in there.

would have loved that, the indycar is fine, but the game only has one course they run on.

I wonder why indycars don't race at the circuit of the Americas. It's an F1 track in America, I'd think they'd be all over it.

DD

Nice list.

would have loved that, the indycar is fine, but the game only has one course they run on.

I wonder why indycars don't race at the circuit of the Americas. It's an F1 track in America, I'd think they'd be all over it.

Because uncle Bernie doesn't allow that.

Ted

Not only have I seen the preview videos but I've been playing Grid Autosport for over a week now....

First up, you lucky bastard. :)

Followed closely by... how does it drive? How were you driving, wheel or controller? If you were using a wheel how was the FFB?

Broader still, how much fun is it? How does the progression feel?

I know these are very wide questions but I presume you can't go into too much detail.

Thanks in advance.... jammy git.

Megasoum

Banned
First up, you lucky bastard. :)

Followed closely by... how does it drive? How were you driving, wheel or controller? If you were using a wheel how was the FFB?

Broader still, how much fun is it? How does the progression feel?

I know these are very wide questions but I presume you can't go into too much detail.

Thanks in advance.... jammy git.

I played with both a Dual Shock 4 (using the 3rd party pc drivers) and my Fanatec CSR wheel.

The FFB was all right. Nothing amazing (nowhere near AC, GSC or even GT6) but it was still enjoyable and totally playable. Then again, the physics are not meant to be hardcore simulation so I guess the FFB is on par with the physics?

The game is a total BLAST to play. I can't wait to play the full version. I think the most important part is to take it for what it is. It doesn't try to be a hardcore sim so don't expect that. However, as a "SimCade" (or "FunSim" as RaceManiak calls it lol) then it's really fun. I haven't played Grid 1 in years so it's difficult for me to compare but I can tell you that it's nothing like Grid 2 and it's a lot closer to Forza or GT than Need For Speed for example. The content in the preview is a bit limited (one championship per serie) so it's difficult to judge the progression as a whole but what I've seen is very promising.

You can find my impressions about the preview somewhere in this thread. If you have other questions fire away!

DD

as a "SimCade" (or "FunSim" as RaceManiak calls it lol) then it's really fun. I haven't played Grid 1 in years so it's difficult for me to compare but I can tell you that it's nothing like Grid 2 and it's a lot closer to Forza or GT than Need For Speed for example.

Something like Forza Horizon or Dirt 2, then?

Jibbed

I played with both a Dual Shock 4 (using the 3rd party pc drivers) and my Fanatec CSR wheel.

The FFB was all right. Nothing amazing (nowhere near AC, GSC or even GT6) but it was still enjoyable and totally playable. Then again, the physics are not meant to be hardcore simulation so I guess the FFB is on par with the physics?

The game is a total BLAST to play. I can't wait to play the full version. I think the most important part is to take it for what it is. It doesn't try to be a hardcore sim so don't expect that. However, as a "SimCade" (or "FunSim" as RaceManiak calls it lol) then it's really fun. I haven't played Grid 1 in years so it's difficult for me to compare but I can tell you that it's nothing like Grid 2 and it's a lot closer to Forza or GT than Need For Speed for example. The content in the preview is a bit limited (one championship per serie) so it's difficult to judge the progression as a whole but what I've seen is very promising.

You can find my impressions about the preview somewhere in this thread. If you have other questions fire away!

TOCA Race Driver 4 confirmed.

I will be picking this up!

Ted

Nice one man, my mind is all over the place this week!

I quite like the FFB on some of the more arcadey games, GRID2 for example actually felt good, not accurate in any real way but good fun. I have odd tastes though perhaps.

That all sounds sweet to me. I like both ends of the spectrum from semi-serious sim to arcade silliness so half way houses, as long as they feel good, are MORE than welcome. Frankly I get way more time to play in the lounge on the sofa these days than in the study in a recaro so if it feels good with a controller or a simple DFGT on a Wii balance board weighed down by books and weights... *ahem*... I'm a happy man.

Thanks for the comments Megasoum, much appreciated.

Megasoum

Banned
Framerates? Does DuranteMod work with it?

Errrrrr...are those PC shots...I hope to god not...I hope those 1080p shots are last-gen..(referring to OP)

It's an EGO Engine game designed for 360/PS3 so of course it's "last gen"... There will be a HD Texture Pack available on PC for free and, afaik, we haven't seen that yet.

I was running over 120-130fps in 1080p on my 770 easily.

Megasoum

Banned
I just realized that there's no Nurb or LeMans in the game... A bit of a bummer. Especially LeMans which, obviously, is a classic for endurance races.

HoosTrax

Especially LeMans which, obviously, is a classic for endurance races.
That track will forever be known to me as the one where those Ravenwest bastards pulled out all of the stops, and cheated like mad via AI rubberbanding in the straights in the last race of Grid 1 career mode.

Megasoum

Banned
Gran Turismo 1 to Forza 1 would be even better.

I tried playing Forza 1 with my Fanatec PWTS a couple of years ago lol... If I remember it was working ok (don't think there was ffb tho) but you couldn't remap the buttons which meant that the shifting was on weird buttons instead of the paddles.

Skyzard

Banned
Give PC bros some love..

OK, not too long now. Let's see how it looks after we get nvidia inspector running. I need a good pc driving game and there's not much funner than grid.

MaxiLive

Someone made a comparision with Forza 5:

http://youtu.be/iobBcJT-njY

Not bad considering Grid is a previous-gen focused title. One thing I would say about Grid is that it has personality. Froza looked so lifeless and sterile which isn't a bad thing for a hardcore sim.

The Grid shots looked a lot better in my opinion just due to the life of the event, the crowd, lighting and environment. I've always been a sucker for an over styled/eventful environment, I'm sure the likes of Daytona and Sega Rally cursed me with that :D

LilJoka

Not bad considering Grid is a previous-gen focused title. One thing I would say about Grid is that it has personality. Froza looked so lifeless and sterile which isn't a bad thing for a hardcore sim.

The Grid shots looked a lot better in my opinion just due to the life of the event, the crowd, lighting and environment. I've always been a sucker for an over styled/eventful environment, I'm sure the likes of Daytona and Sega Rally cursed me with that :D

If you think Forza is lifeless I wonder what you think of PC sims - there isn't even a 2d crowd. Think it's more the lighting and colour palette that makes some games feel sterile. Also effects and audio which add to immersion, imo GT is a much better example of a sterile racing game.

Hopefully we see some of the high res textures for PC, and what ever isn't re retextured can be fixed with mods most Iikely.

About that...didn't GRID have a "wheels squealing" sound effect that meant someone was about to spin?

That's something we've worked on for Autosport, you get a lot more feedback from the tyres in terms of through the controller as well as the audio as the tyre is about to 'give'.

Fox Mulder

I've always wanted more race event presentation to liven up racing games. Just seeing a fist pump after winning a race in the F1 game is more exciting than nothing at all.

Megasoum

Banned
I've always wanted more race event presentation to liven up racing games. Just seeing a fist pump after winning a race in the F1 game is more exciting than nothing at all.

It's all about the inflatable floaty tube man dude!

screenshot_721501679_12483597081.jpg

Honestly, if they really leave Dirt 2 to die I can't support them by purchasing this. Killing off games like Dirt 2 and Gran Turismo 5 is not a very good sign of things to come.

If I purchase this, can I count on being able to play it, say, 4 years from now?

MJLord

That's something we've worked on for Autosport, you get a lot more feedback from the tyres in terms of through the controller as well as the audio as the tyre is about to 'give'.

Loore with the Xbox One controller drivers seemingly coming out of nowhere today. Is there any chance the team can utilise the rumble triggers for this before release? It felt great in the 10 minutes I played of Forza5 xD

Edit: Bit cheeky but I'd murder for a gander on that preview build going around xD

Loore with the Xbox One controller drivers seemingly coming out of nowhere today. Is there any chance the team can utilise the rumble triggers for this before release? It felt great in the 10 minutes I played of Forza5 xD

Edit: Bit cheeky but I'd murder for a gander on that preview build going around xD

Heh, I sent the request as soon as I read the news. Apparently it should be all systems go for the controller in terms of it working as the driver handles it. Will let you know about the rumble triggers.

MJLord

Heh, I sent the request as soon as I read the news. Apparently it should be all systems go for the controller in terms of it working as the driver handles it. Will let you know about the rumble triggers.

Brilliant news! I don't think I've been this excited for a Codies racer in ages!

Top Bottom