• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

DD

I guess I owe apologies to Codemasters. I remember when I played Dirt 2, and got stunned by the overall quality of the game. Great gameplay, physics, graphics, sounds, AI, etc. But even so, it had its flaws. For example, the game had very few locations, hadn't some long championships, it perverted the fine concepts of the Colin McRae series (name still carried at that point).

Then, they announced Dirt 3 promising more focus on rally, a more serious outfit, and the legendary Group B cars. In my mind, Dirt 3 would come with new locations along with the ones made for Dirt 2, with the same gameplay mechanics, and a "X-Gamesless" mood. But I was wrong, like REALLY wrong. Dirt 3 is even more shallow than Dirt 2, and the handling of the cars is worse than the previous game. I was really pissed, but anyway, I wouldn't be fooled anymore (lie. I kept buying Codemasters stuff :-/ ), and stop making the pre-order mistake.

Then, as if I wasn't pissed enough with what was once my favorite developer, they announced Dirt Showdown. Literally a bumper car game, with stunts, jumps and destruction. I promised not buy that crap made for adolescent wankers, and I really didn't. See, nobody expects Codemasters pulling a Simbin outta nowhere, but that was too much.

But then, they've announced Grid Autosport, promising TOCA vibes, made for the old school fans of the company, unlike the previous Grids and Dirts, which makes it one of the most anticipated games for me. Yes, you might say that Codemasters continues to deceive me (or maybe I am fooling myself), and I decided to pre-order this shit, and ended here, on the first row of the hype train. And to my surprise, they decided to give the infamous Dirt Showdown for free on Grid A pre-orders. I thought, "hey, it won't hurt. It's for free, ffs", and I've installed this shit. And you know what? This game is fucking AWESOME! I dare to say that it might be the best game from them in the past eight years. It's PHENOMENAL. I'm even worried with the possibility of it spoiling Grid Autosport for me when it launches next week. It's absolutely fantastic. Really, REALLY fun game! Yeah, yeah, it suffers with the lack of content and depth, like all previous Dirts and Grids, but gosh, that thing is crazy fun. Anyone playing it?

Lego Boss

@DD Seriously? I avoided this like the plague after being burned with Grid 2, Dirt 3 et al. Is it really worth a punt? If it's as good as you say, I'll give it a go, but although I've preorded G:A, I'm still wary of anything recent by CM.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
And to my surprise, they decided to give the infamous Dirt Showdown for free on Grid A pre-orders. I thought, "hey, it won't hurt. It's for free, ffs", and I've installed this shit. And you know what? This game is fucking AWESOME! I dare to say that it might be the best game from them in the past eight years. It's PHENOMENAL. I'm even worried with the possibility of it spoiling Grid Autosport for me when it launches next week. It's absolutely fantastic. Really, REALLY fun game! Yeah, yeah, it suffers with the lack of content and depth, like all previous Dirts and Grids, but gosh, that thing is crazy fun. Anyone playing it?

Join The Club ! Me too I was thinking Showdown was a joke but I had A LOT of fun with that game.

HoosTrax

And to my surprise, they decided to give the infamous Dirt Showdown for free on Grid A pre-orders. I thought, "hey, it won't hurt. It's for free, ffs", and I've installed this shit. And you know what? This game is fucking AWESOME! I dare to say that it might be the best game from them in the past eight years. It's PHENOMENAL. I'm even worried with the possibility of it spoiling Grid Autosport for me when it launches next week. It's absolutely fantastic. Really, REALLY fun game! Yeah, yeah, it suffers with the lack of content and depth, like all previous Dirts and Grids, but gosh, that thing is crazy fun. Anyone playing it?
Not really a standout game imho. The only event type I enjoyed was gymkhana.

The racing and demolition derby events were both better done by Flatout 2, in my mind. Both felt kind of bland and unexciting in Dirt Showdown, and it was exacerbated by the use of fictitious, non-licensed cars in those events. As far as presentation goes, you either go over the top with crazyness like in Flatout 2, or you go for slick-looking semi-realism, like the mainstream GRID games. Showdown went for a more tame, water-downed version of Flatout 2's action, and without GRID's car eyecandy.

LilJoka

Review embargo till release date then, not the best way to put out a racing game, but ill wait and see. Cant really spoil the story etc...

Lego Boss

The racing and demolition derby events were both better done by Flatout 2, in my mind. Both felt kind of bland and unexciting in Dirt Showdown, and it was exacerbated by the use of fictitious, non-licensed cars in those events. As far as presentation goes, you either go over the top with crazyness like in Flatout 2, or you go for slick-looking semi-realism, like the mainstream GRID games. Showdown went for a more tame, water-downed version of Flatout 2's action, and without GRID's car eyecandy.

FlatOut 2: Amazing game. Loved crushing all those destructables. Felt like one of the first true next gen experiences on 360, along with Fight Night 3 (don't play shooters BTW).

DD

@DD Seriously? I avoided this like the plague after being burned with Grid 2, Dirt 3 et al. Is it really worth a punt? If it's as good as you say, I'll give it a go, but although I've preorded G:A, I'm still wary of anything recent by CM.
Look, as Codemasters fan since Toca and CMR series, I've always expected a lot from them, because I feel that they have an enormous potential, but a terrible sense of timing and vision of their real audience. There's always a "I avoided this like the plague" (like you've said lol) or a "what the hell were they thinking?!", you know. Although it doesn't carry the Colin McRae name anymore, everybody still makes the association. It's only natural. But after seriously perverting what the series was, and letting their fans disappointed, they came with Dirt Showdown, which felt like a kick in the balls for their fans. Maybe if they used a different name, the game might have been better appreciate. But even with the deviations and the kicks in my balls, I had fun with their games. None got close of what Toca and CMR was, but well, they did provided me some fun.

I too avoided Dirt Showdown like a plague, but since they decided to give it for free, I gave it a try. It has the same problems from the previous Dirts, the lack of content (especially locations), more significant events (I love long championships), but maybe because I expected nothing from it, and for having no expectations at all, I fell in love with it. I'm having serious fun with it.

PS: sorry for any english mistakes. It's not my main language. I'm here exactly to practice. =P

DD

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

Join The Club ! Me too I was thinking Showdown was a joke but I had A LOT of fun with that game.

How do I do that? :eek:

It feels like a party game that won't last long, but as long as it lasting, I'm having tons of fun.

I still have to play Flatout 2. I'll see if I get it cheap on this summer sale. Is that the best in the series?

There's Flatout Ultimate Carnage, which is an "enhanced port" of Flatout 2, so I would recommend starting with that.

Also, can I get a ticket for the GRID Autosport hype train?

DD

There's Flatout Ultimate Carnage, which is an "enhanced port" of Flatout 2, so I would recommend starting with that.

Cool, thanks!

Also, can I get a ticket for the GRID Autosport hype train?
z1kD3ds.jpg

drotahorror

Didn't even realize this was coming out so soon. How are they pumping out this game so quick? I bet it re-uses a lot of assets from GRID 2.

MJLord

As DLC, I would love some expansion on Demolition Derby....we've been racing on the same 2 tracks across 3 games over the last 6 years. Throw in some Showdown tracks and cars, hell turn it into the 6th discipline, and make it a one-off distraction into its own fun little mode to vent off frustrations.

What he said. That's the sort of level DLC should be at.

DD

As DLC, I would love some expansion on Demolition Derby....we've been racing on the same 2 tracks across 3 games over the last 6 years. Throw in some Showdown tracks and cars, hell turn it into the 6th discipline, and make it a one-off distraction into its own fun little mode to vent off frustrations.

I was actually thinking about a Le Mans expansion, with the TS040, The R18, the 919 and La Sarthe. :3

dubc35

A new GRID game? Psshh garbage...."descendant of TOCA Touring Cars." Wait wait, hold on...possibly good? And on ps3. Interest peaked.

DD

I would love to get LeMans since it'S a great track but without proper endurance it's a bit useless.

I used to love the "quietness" of the early morning on the 24hs of Le Mans in Grid 1. Too bad the 24hs race lasted only 15 minutes.

Megasoum

Banned
I used to love the "quietness" of the early morning on the 24hs of Le Mans in Grid 1. Too bad the 24hs race lasted only 15 minutes.

I've said it in the past (can't remember which thread) but one of the best experience I had in a racing game was a practice session in pCars where I was alone in the F1 in Spa. It started right before sunrise (pro-tip, you can't see shit in a F1 before sunrise haha) and I was driving kinda slowly around the track. The only thing I could hear was my engine roaring in the middle of the forest with the sun slowly rising up between the trees. It sound cheezy but I was almost emotional lol. Most amazing thing ever.

viveks86

I really hope someone is working on an OT. Having a 2 month old announcement trailer thread become the unofficial OT would be a sad, sad thing to see. I wonder what the sales for this game is going to be like. I created a dedicated thread for the launch trailer and there was a grand total of 1 response! Hope Codies know what they are doing by keep this game old gen only.

DD

I've said it in the past (can't remember which thread) but one of the best experience I had in a racing game was a practice session in pCars where I was alone in the F1 in Spa. It started right before sunrise (pro-tip, you can't see shit in a F1 before sunrise haha) and I was driving kinda slowly around the track. The only thing I could hear was my engine roaring in the middle of the forest with the sun slowly rising up between the trees. It sound cheezy but I was almost emotional lol. Most amazing thing ever.

We are of a same kind, then. :)
Not cheezy at all, at least for me.

Megasoum

Banned
I really hope someone is working on an OT. Having a 2 month old announcement trailer thread become the unofficial OT would be a sad, sad thing to see. I wonder what the sales for this game is going to be like. I created a dedicated thread for the launch trailer and there was a grand total of 1 response! Hope Codies know what they are doing by keep this game old gen only.

Yeah the OT is being worked on right now. No idea when it's going up since the game is less than a week away now.

Branson

I'd really like an oval discipline. I'm apparently alone in wanting to see how the engine would handle that. Short track oval racing would be fun.

Megasoum

Banned
I'd really like an oval discipline. I'm apparently alone in wanting to see how the engine would handle that. Short track oval racing would be fun.

They confirmed oval tracks in the game so I'm sure that some of the championships will be oval races.

Pre-load is now live on Steam for those who have pre-ordered from there :)

Side note: next week is going be hectic so my presence here may be limited, just wanted to say thanks, you're not all c***s like some would say :)

I'll still pop in and answer questions as much as I can, but will be as and when time allows.

Side note: next week is going be hectic so my presence here may be limited, just wanted to say thanks, you're not all c***s like some would say :)

I'll still pop in and answer questions as much as I can, but will be as and when time allows.
Thanks Loore, I don't care what anyone else says about you. You're OK in my book!

Megasoum

Banned

Hahaha

And thanks for the support! That's how CM are supposed to act. You guys can do so much more than just send press releases and repeat the company line. It's nice when the community is actually involved in the process and listened to.

TheRook

I never got the chance to play Grid 1 but I got Grid 2 on PS+ and liked it for what it was. In Autosport how would you describe the handling characteristics in this title to someone who hasn't played Grid 1 but has played Racing Sims like GT and Forza.

I'm interesting in this game, I'm just not sure what im getting myself into should I buy this at launch. Thanks to those who reach out to this message.

I never got the chance to play Grid 1 but I got Grid 2 on PS+ and liked it for what it was. In Autosport how would you describe the handling characteristics in this title to someone who hasn't played Grid 1 but has played Racing Sims like GT and Forza.

I'm interesting in this game, I'm just not sure what im getting myself into should I buy this at launch. Thanks to those who reach out to this message.

Think of it as a half-way point between Forza and GRID 2.

The handling characteristics are more towards the Forza and GT camp, there's no drifting around every corner and it's all about hitting the correct racing line. But there's still enough of arcade blood running through the code to give it a bit of 'feeling', it doesn't quite feel as 'clinical' as perhaps Forza does.

Does that help?

Skyzard

Banned
Grid 2 is on the flash sale. I have autosport pre-ordered, played 1 but never 2.

Worth grabbing 2 as well or just wait 6 days?

TheRook

Does that help?
I think I understand.

Everything wont be so drift happy, actual racing lines, correct braking points and throttle inputs are key here like in normal racing Sims.

How is the Career Progression in this game? Is it similar to Grid 2? I kinda liked how things went from small time to High profile on National TV and stuff, really cool stuff.

How detailed is the Livery Customization? Can I import Images or use layers? or is it like Grid 2 and everything is kinda pre-determined?

Thanks again for answering my initial questions.

Did you guys ever fixed the ridiculous acceleration that cars had in Grid 1?

Never played 2.

Grid 2 is on the flash sale. I have autosport pre-ordered, played 1 but never 2.

Worth grabbing 2 as well or just wait 6 days?

It's more of an arcade racer but if you like that then (although you may call me biased) for £7.49 for the reloaded edition (or £4.99 for standard version) you'll get a fair few hours of game time from it.

I think I understand.

Everything wont be so drift happy, actual racing lines, correct braking points and throttle inputs are key here like in normal racing Sims.

How is the Career Progression in this game? Is it similar to Grid 2? I kinda liked how things went from small time to High profile on National TV and stuff, really cool stuff.

How detailed is the Livery Customization? Can I import Images or use layers? or is it like Grid 2 and everything is kinda pre-determined?

Thanks again for answering my initial questions.

It's a bit different than GRID 2 but it does work along the same premise of starting off small and getting bigger.

Career is quite open in Autosport, you can choose which discipline you want to race in. So, if you're a fan of Touring Cars then you can head straight for those, putting your less favourite disciplines to one side.

You race in 'seasons', you'll get a contract offer from a team, or multiple - allowing you to choose which one you want to do. Each season you'll have team and sponsor objectives to achieve, doing so grants you discipline experience which essentially levels you up within that discipline. The higher your level, the better the contracts you'll be offered will be. As you progress through the levels you'll start getting access to the more powerful cars.

So while you may start off in a Cat C Touring Car (BTCC / WTCC spec cars), put in a few seasons and you'll start seeing yourself in some V8 Ford and Holden's.

If you get bored of Touring, or want to change things up a bit, at the end of your season you can move into another discipline as you please.

Focus on one discipline, or master them all - is your choice :)

Livery customisation is a multiplayer only feature, it's similar to GRID 2 in the way you apply patterns and sponsors to your car. It's pre-determined but it's been refined somewhat, there's new patterns, sponsors and colours avaialble so you'll still be able to make some great looking cars.

You'll also be able to create a Club Livery (or apply one), meaning every time you race in that livery you're earning rewards for your club (such as the GAF one!)

Anything else just shoot :)

Edit: One thing mentioning about seasons is that we break them up with 'cups', so in Touring you may get a Classic Mini cup event to take place, these behave like a spin off single make series event. You'll get access to a few of these as you progress, GT40, Shelby Cobra, Mazda 787B, Lancia Delta HF Integrale etc

Did you guys ever fixed the ridiculous acceleration that cars had in Grid 1?

Never played 2.

The 'speed' is a lot more grounded now, you'll still get the mental acceleration when driving something like a P1 or the IndyCar. But each car has a much more real world based / grunded feel in its acceleration.

There shouldn't be any cases where you think "this is too fast", but will still be plenty of "holy shhhhhhh" (of the good kind) the first time you get behind a Lola B05/52 for example.

The 'speed' is a lot more grounded now, you'll still get the mental acceleration when driving something like a P1 or the IndyCar. But each car has a much more real world based / grunded feel in its acceleration.

There shouldn't be any cases where you think "this is too fast", but will still be plenty of "holy shhhhhhh" (of the good kind) the first time you get behind a Lola B05/52 for example.

Great news.

I'm remember playing the Audi R10 and going over 400km/h between chicanes in Le Mans and be putting off with that acceleration so if it's more real I should be getting Grid Autosport.

Is there a complete tracklist?

JaoSming

Neo Member
So while you may start off in a Cat C Touring Car (BTCC / WTCC spec cars), put in a few seasons and you'll start seeing yourself in some V8 Ford and Holden's.
If we want to, can we choose to compete in the low tiers permanently? So let's say I unlock the top tier but I want to do a low tier season, can I go back?

Great news.

I'm remember playing the Audi R10 and going over 400km/h between chicanes in Le Mans and be putting off with that acceleration so if it's more real I should be getting Grid Autosport.

Is there a complete tracklist?

Track List - http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/06/grid-autosport-track-list/
Car List - http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/06/the-cars-of-grid-autosport/

You can find a lot of info over on the blog http://blog.codemasters.com/category/grid/

If we want to, can we choose to compete in the low tiers permanently? So let's say I unlock the top tier but I want to do a low tier season, can I go back?

Yes, you can re-do earlier seasons as much as you want :)

Top Bottom