• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Elfteiroh

Looking at it, I think it could be Skyward Sword's Link and Zelda child... It could explain the technology we see taped to his arrow, like an artifact that was found in the Lanayru Desert (the monster could be the same) while they were colonising it. How awesome could it be? There would be so much undiscovered landmass in a setting like that, perfect for an open world game. And it wouldn't be Link, well, not entirely.

Ignoring the eyelash/eyebrow matter, the ponytail, and the apparent breasts mentioned previously in this thread, and the way that the ears seem to more closely resemble Zelda's than Link's (also mentioned in this thread), I read up on the major dimorphism-based traits between men and women, and compared this protagonist to the Links from Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in these traits.

The most conclusive differences I could find are as follows:

430654-zelda.jpg
  • This protagonist has a particularly low waist-to-hip ratio (that is, the character has thinner waist compared to the character's hips than SS or TP Link)
  • This protagonist has thinner shoulders: TP and SS Link have broader shoulders.

• This protagonist has a rounder face than Skyward Sword's Link or Twilight Princess's Link.

• This protagonist seems to have more muscle in the back of his or her thigh, whereas Links past tended to have more muscle in the front.
  • The bent knees makes this a little difficult to judge, but I think this protagonist has longer legs relative to his or her torso compared to the leg-torso ratio present in TP's and SS's Links.

It is said that the most dimorphic areas on the human body (that is, the areas that differ the most between males and females) are the chest, lower half of the face, and the waist down to the knees. If I'm accurate, then these areas all more closely resemble female characteristics on this protagonist than they do male characteristics. If I'm wrong on any of these accounts or if I'm overlooking details that make the protagonist seem more likely to be a male, do not hesitate to point them out for the sake of discussion.

If I'm accurate on these accounts yet the protagonist is still revealed to be male, it would be a testament to Link's androgyny, but Nintendo generally doesn't overlook details like this. This company knows how to make characters attractive to the player, etc., so these are most certainly not details that would simply be overlooked when designing the character.

OnPoint

What makes you think it might be Aryll? A lot of people seem to think it's her too, I'm just interested to know why :p

I want to point out that I don't have a real opinion one way or the other on the gender, but there's no denying that this version of "Link" looks more feminine than in previous games. My connection with Aryll is based on the shirt connecting the Wind Waker lore, and general resemblance to the "Link" family. Blonde hair, similar face, similar build. Could be Link's sister, you know?

Ignoring the eyelash/eyebrow matter, the ponytail, and the apparent breasts mentioned previously in this thread, and the way that the ears seem to more closely resemble Zelda's than Link's (also mentioned in this thread), I read up on the major dimorphism-based traits between men and women, and compared this protagonist to the Links from Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in these traits.

The most conclusive differences I could find are as follows:

• This protagonist has a particularly low waist-to-hip ratio (that is, the character has thinner waist compared to the character's hips than SS or TP Link)
  • This protagonist has thinner shoulders: TP and SS Link have broader shoulders.

• This protagonist has a rounder face than Skyward Sword's Link or Twilight Princess's Link.

• This protagonist seems to have more muscle in the back of his or her thigh, whereas Links past tended to have more muscle in the front.
  • The bent knees makes this a little difficult to judge, but I think this protagonist has longer legs relative to his or her torso compared to the leg-torso ratio present in TP's and SS's Links.

It is said that the most dimorphic areas on the human body (that is, the areas that differ the most between males and females) are the chest, lower half of the face, and the waist down to the knees. If I'm accurate, then these areas all more closely resemble female characteristics on this protagonist than they do male characteristics. If I'm wrong on any of these accounts or if I'm overlooking details that make the protagonist seem more likely to be a male, do not hesitate to point them out for the sake of discussion.

If I'm accurate on these accounts yet the protagonist is still revealed to be male, it would be a testament to Link's androgyny, but Nintendo generally doesn't overlook details like this. This company knows how to make characters attractive to the player, etc., so these are most certainly not details that would simply be overlooked when designing the character.

Im pretty sure that 1st pic is still the photoshopped one

Because in the 2nd one, the waist point doesnt stand

Edzi

If it's a girl, then I'm really hoping its a new character who isn't the main playable character. It doesn't matter that Link never speaks, he's still a pretty well defined/recognizable character who I don't think needs to be changed so drastically. I seriously don't get the people who want him to be a girl this time... There are other ways to bring a better female presence to video games that don't involve changing iconic characters.

Absolutely. It seems very deliberate and I'm sure they expected (and are pleased with) the discussions it's provoking. It's a great design.

Mik317

I gotta ask what's with the Chico and Chica on the internet? Are these Hispanics saying it or did it become a thing? For some reason it bothers me and I'm a Hispanic. It's like the guy who goes to a Mexican restaurant and speaks English without an accent until he gets to the food.

I am thinking the Chico thing is a Metal Gear joke.

royalan

People are going to seriously upset when it just ends up being a super pretty guy Link.

Nintendo's never done this, though.

If this turns out to be a male Link, it will be the most feminine Link Nintendo's ever created, and by a long shot.

As has been said, Nintendo's never been the type to do this sort of thing deliberately.

I gotta ask what's with the Chico and Chica on the internet? Are these Hispanics saying it or did it become a thing? For some reason it bothers me and I'm a Hispanic. It's like the guy who goes to a Mexican restaurant and speaks English without an accent until he gets to the food.

It's a reference to the Metal Gear Solid series, which introduced a Nicraguan boy nicknamed Chico which people have been defending ludicrously flimsy theories about him having a sex change and becoming a female character in the next game.

If it's a girl, then I'm really hoping its a new character who isn't the main playable character. It doesn't matter that Link never speaks, he's still a pretty well defined/recognizable character who I don't think needs to be changed so drastically. I seriously don't get the people who want him to be a girl this time... There are other ways to bring a better female presence to video games that don't involve changing iconic characters.

wat. Link's design changes drastically quite regularly. Look at Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds, they're all completely different. Even OoT Link is pretty different (and prominently features two version of Link). One of the core aspects of Zelda is that Link is a different character every time. I see no reason why Link couldn't be a girl, there's not even anything in the canon that would bar it.

Slaythe

What the hell.

I can't believe how huge that non issue became.

Of course it's Link, come on. Just because he's slightly more effeminate doesn't change the fact that the hair cut and face is pretty much spot on.

Like really. Does Link have to be buffed now to be acceptable ?

royalan

What the hell.

Of course it's Link, come on. Just because he's slightly more effeminate doesn't change the fact that the hair cut and face is pretty much spot on.

...has Link ever been buff?

What the hell.

There's also the fact that in the trailer this character is right-handed countering the the fact that Link from previous titles is in fact left-handed (or left eye-dominant, derp).

Yado

What the hell.

It's a female. We're speaking it into existence.

What the hell.

As others have said, this could be Link and Zelda's son or something. I haven't played Skyward Sword, but, to me, he sorta resembles the Zelda and Link of that game.

The series has an official canon now, might as well be time to use it. The last time they did, Majora's Mask happened...

Or else it's co-op Knil.

greenteaa

Neo Member
I want to point out that I don't have a real opinion one way or the other on the gender, but there's no denying that this version of "Link" looks more feminine than in previous games. My connection with Aryll is based on the shirt connecting the Wind Waker lore, and general resemblance to the "Link" family. Blonde hair, similar face, similar build. Could be Link's sister, you know?
I agree with you in that he/she definitely could end up being a sibling of Link's.

Personally I just don't see why they would choose to bring back Aryll specifically. She was a cute character in WW, but not much more than that IMO. As I remember it, she never was much of a tomboy as this new girl/guy appears to be, although who knows, maybe this is just a really badass reincarnation of her :p

I'm not saying it's Link, but it's Link.

I know you guys are having fun speculating, but I really don't get it! I feel like it's the same as if the Sun came up tomorrow morning and you guys saw it and said "Oh man, there's this super bright circle in the sky! It looks like the sun, moves like the sun, acts like the sun, feels like the sun, and sure it's been the sun every single time this has happened previously, but I don't think that's the Sun!"

If it's one earring it's a dude. Calling it now. If I am wrong I'll buy a wiiu and post it on GAF.

Link has had two earrings since the beginning, in Ocarina of Time.

Edit: That is to say, since the beginning of him wearing earrings. I'm not saying anything silly like the series started on the N64.

ec0ec0

... how... did i miss this!?

#teamfemalelink (i want this to happen sooo bad :p)

edit: is still dont know how to react... please female link

Xamdou

If this is Link's and Zelda's daughter, then the whole premise if Link always the main character will be turned upside down in a good way. I think they planned to change the conventions of this upcoming Zelda game by making it an open world where you can go where ever you want rather than being guided from point A to B. So they might as well change the main character to be Link's and Zelda's daughter to have some sort of continuity or legacy rather then making Link the main character the same every game in some sort of alternate reality.

LordOfChaos

It would be kind of funny if they never make mention of the characters gender up until and through the game. (s)He could still be called "Link" and be a female incarnation, after all, as not all Links in all the games are the same dude, just descendants.

I'm on the fence on the debate, yeah he looks girly, but Link always kinda does. But there definitely is some extra this time, it looks like "he" has a bit of blush on. I'm going to say 70 male/30 female.

What if they ride the alt world theories and you can call other Links to your world? I could see diversified characters play a big part that way (think 4 swords). There are so many unique angles this could hit us in.

Whatever they choose I'll be there.

I want this to be true so, so bad. For years I've dreamed of a Zelda game where you actually play as Zelda. This doesn't necessarily fulfill that dream, but a female "Link" is close enough.

Taker666

Why does anyone think the character looks female?

He looks more masculine than Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors Link to me. Slightly more rugged in a wirey sort of way.

JaseMath

Theory:
In Zelda lore, evil comes at some point and the Hero of Time doesn't show. What if this game centers around that time? The Hero never appears and so, to instill hope in her people, Zelda tries to fill the shoes of the Hero of Time?

Top Bottom