• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

georly

ik6pfHY.png

This is an interesting and alarming trend, and I'm hoping Polygon will be able to use this data to make a projection about how many female Links we'll have in the future.

I made it polygonned for you:

im12ZOU.png

As you can see, link has been more girl each game! (too lazy to do it right, i just hit the trendline button)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, technically, his design has been getting more feminine each game.

Edit: Or should I say androgynous?

What makes you think it might be Aryll? A lot of people seem to think it's her too, I'm just interested to know why :p

Honestly, with all these subtle details pointing to so many previous characters, i.e,

Ganondorf's bracers
Link's hair (And Wind Waker inspired shirt)
Aryll's hair thingamabobs
Zelda's Cloak (?)

Clearly it's a new character called Galiryllda

1) Probably is Link and he's just pulling our legs to get us talking about it, which is working.

2) Zelda

3) Another side character that's out looking for Link. Quite similar to how Halo 5 is being handled with the main focus being on the new Spartan which people thought was a female but was confirmed a male.

Eusis

As you can see, link has been more girl each game! (too lazy to do it right, i just hit the trendline button)
You know, that might be vaguely accurate. I don't think he could've been as easily misidentified as female in the pre-OoT artwork as post-OoT, and with WW's style all the young boys and girls look the same and are distinguished more by clothes than anything else. I seriously thought Tetra was a boy for quite awhile, which would end up being the opposite of this topic.

Sacul64GC

Banned
One thing I just realized is I keep pointing out that he/she is not wearing a Green tunic in a LoZ reveal trailer, something to my knowledge has never happened before. What I just thought of is what he/she is wearing is blue aka the color usually associated with wisdom.

DrunkDan

I just can't see this girl Link so many people can.

I understand the whole right handed thing but in terms of looks its Link, albeit with a ponytail. Same hair, same blue earrings and same male torso.

I will gladly hold my hands up if he turns out to be a she though. And one thing that won't change is my purchase of the game.

ShinMaruku

They are NOT going to change Link's sex (unless there are character customization options).

“No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

A playable Zelda, or Link's sister/daughter/teenaged son are all possibilities. But it's also possible this is Link and we're just being trolled.

That's the truth. You guys are giving nintendo the benefit of the doubt all because of the hype of the game, it's clouding your judgement. It's Link, it will be male they are having a spot of fun with you.

I'm going with the "not 'Link' because 'Link' is now really really 'you'" theory.

Secretly wishing for a class/co-op system where your 'Link' can adventure with other 'Links' who use different equip setups if you want.

ZenTzen

I'm sorry but thats clearly link, and no it doesnt look like its a girl, people are really being thrown off by the ponytail

I feel like there's so much hypermasculinity in the video game industry, that it's been normalized, and people have started seeing masculine characters as androgynous, and androgynous characters as women or girls.

Characters don't have to be exaggeratedly masculine in order to be masculine.

I remember reading a blog one time by a genderqueer transfeminist, saying that they had a hard time presenting in an androgynous fashion because their body type was perceived as feminine. And that they felt that men had an easier time being seen as androgynous than women, because men were treated as the default and women the other in society.

I don't know how true that is, and I can't speak from their experience, because I wasn't someone raised as female but identifying as genderqueer and trying to present in an androgynous fashion. And having a hard time.

But when a lot of people call androgynous characters, or kind of feminine male characters or other characters kind of like that, particularly ones in Japanese video games, as women or girls or female. It kind of reminds me of that.
It does seem like people are very quick to question the gender of a character who isn't stereotypically masculine.

Woah, woah, woah. Hey... You said that, not me.

Huh. It would, wouldn't it?

I do think that's either Zelda or new Link is female.

It would be interesting if Zelda was still the love interest, but the protagonist was female, but Nintendo then proceeded to treat it as though it was nothing out of the ordinary and let the players spread the word on their own.

mrkgoo

It would be interesting if Zelda was still the love interest, but the protagonist was female, but Nintendo then proceeded to treat it as though it was nothing out of the ordinary and let the players spread the word on their own.

Out if curiosity, which zelda games have ever treated zelda as the "love interest"? Maaaaybe skyward sword, but I never saw zelda as link's love interest.

5) Chances of it being Aryll (at least the girl from Wind Waker): 0%. Another obvious one: this whole game is a giant open world, not the ocean! Aryll only lives in a world that is all ocean! A new continent isn't discovered in that timeline for 100 years (Spirit Tracks). Now if you want to make the case that it is Link's sister who is always named Aryll because this series likes to do that, fine. But there is NO chance that it is Wind Waker's Aryll. There's no land other than small islands. And if there was a continent, it wouldn't have a civilization on it without some MASSIVE retconning.

What? That's not even remotely true. Link and Tetra went off in search of a new land at the end of Wind Waker, and after the events of Phantom Hourglass they find it. Spirit Tracks takes place 100 years later in the new Hyrule, the new Hyrule isn't discovered 100 years later!

Out if curiosity, which zelda games have ever treated zelda as the "love interest"? Maaaaybe skyward sword, but I never saw zelda as link's love interest.

If I remember correctly, in Ocarina of Time, every female character had a romantic interest in Link. Even Navi.

Deitus

Well Zelda is pretty tsundere for Link in Wind Waker. And there is an implied kiss between Link and Zelda as the curtain fell in Adventure of Link. Though it would be hard to call her a love interest in that game when she spent the entire game in a coma and she and Link had never met prior (different Zelda from Zelda 1, but the same Link).

I agree with your point though, Zelda has not generally been presented as a "love interest."

LegendX48

I'm sorry but thats clearly link, and no it doesnt look like its a girl, people are really being thrown off by the ponytail

But it's not the ponytail that's doing any of this. The eyelash placement and the face in general, especially after the arrow is fired, is just straight up a girl's face.

Yonafunu

I love the new look, regardless of the gender. He/she has a real 'explorer' type of look, with all of the equipment saddled on the horse, including something like a blanket or sleeping bag.

is just straight up a girl's face.
Hmm, I'm sorry. But I don't quite agree.

Not only do plenty of people who identify as men have faces that feminine. But plenty of video game characters who are male have faces just as feminine as that, and often a lot more feminine.

This character's face doesn't actually look all that different than Link normally does. It's a little different, but not that much.

LegendX48

Hmm, I'm sorry. But I don't quite agree.

Not only do plenty of people who identify as men have faces that feminine. But plenty of video game characters who are male have faces just as feminine as that, and often a lot more feminine.

This character's face doesn't actually look all that different than Link normally does. It's a little different, but not that much.

I feel it's different enough. Link, yes, has been made a bit more feminine as time went on but this "new" character is pushing so hard into that territory it's kind of ridiculous, especially for Nintendo. Until Aunoma and co say otherwise, I'm gonna assume it's a girl.

I love the new look, regardless of the gender. He/she has a real 'explorer' type of look, with all of the equipment saddled on the horse, including something like a blanket or sleeping bag.

Those are nice touches. Really adds to the adventure vibe, and if stuff gets added as you progress through the game, it'll be that much better.

Village

While that cool

I am WAAAY more interested in an adventure time style gender swap game.

Everybody

Girl tinkle and Girl Ganondorf.

Picture that shit and laugh

LegendX48

for me the face looks like links, the rest can be atributed to the cel shading and movement and even then it doesnt look female to me

That's true, in some angles it does just look like Link which I assume is where some of the thoughts about it possibly being Link's sister or child come in. But that final shot in the reveal is where it just solidifies it for me that this just is not a dude. That and the curves in some shots really lean toward it being a female character.

MikeDown

Banned
What makes you think it might be Aryll? A lot of people seem to think it's her too, I'm just interested to know why :p

A young female adventurer with a bow that shoots right handed and doesn't look like Zelda in a game that has arguably the best cel-shaded graphics ever = more than likely a Wind Waker successor/sequel = more than likely Aryll on a quest to save Link and Zelda? Or working with Link to save Zelda. Not sure... but my money is def on her.

I gotta ask what's with the Chico and Chica on the internet? Are these Hispanics saying it or did it become a thing? For some reason it bothers me and I'm a Hispanic. It's like the guy who goes to a Mexican restaurant and speaks English without an accent until he gets to the food.

Lynd7

I don't think it is a female Link. Another character is the most likely scenario, Zelda makes the most sense.

If its definitely not Link, he'll show up at some point. I haven't played ALBW, is there a possibility this is
Lorule
at some point? That could be a way to make a female Link even.

Violet_0

Banned
oh man they actually picked Ito's shopped pic from the Zelda thread (in which everyone was making fun of posters that thought they were real)

E-Cat

A young female adventurer with a bow that shoots right handed and doesn't look like Zelda in a game that has arguably the best cel-shaded graphics ever = more than likely a Wind Waker successor/sequel = more than likely Aryll on a quest to save Link and Zelda? Or working with Link to save Zelda. Not sure... but my money is def on her.

So, it's not taking place in "Hyrule"... but "New Hyrule"? Nah, not buying it.

Not

Banned
I don't think it is a female Link. Another character is the most likely scenario, Zelda makes the most sense.

If its definitely not Link, he'll show up at some point. I haven't played ALBW, is there a possibility this is
Lorule
at some point? That could be a way to make a female Link even.

It's all Ice King fanfiction

Top Bottom